HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Anyone looked at Smid's stats recently? I know he is the guy who we would hope would let EJ open up offensively, but 2 assists in 20 games and -5 while playing less than 20 minutes a night isn't that great. Which is also scary for the contract he might get. I know the Oilers don't score much at even strength, and he gets no PP time, so it may be a bit exaggerated, but it is still something to watch out for.
So he's not going help us offensively. We need someone who can work well offensively and defensively.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:58 AM
cgf

Quote:
Anyone looked at Smid's stats recently? I know he is the guy who we would hope would let EJ open up offensively, but 2 assists in 20 games and -5 while playing less than 20 minutes a night isn't that great. Which is also scary for the contract he might get. I know the Oilers don't score much at even strength, and he gets no PP time, so it may be a bit exaggerated, but it is still something to watch out for.
*shrug* wouldn't that be a good thing though, lowering what he'll reasonably get in FA if he is someone we choose to pursue?

Old
03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 140
Quote:
Only 1 Dman is a + on the Oilers, but I agree he does not show much in the offense side (only 15pts last year avg 20+min/gm). See him as a better Hejda, but to me that would be a huge lift to our pk and even strength defense.
If he can be signed for <3m I'd like to see him an Av.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

So I have a stupid question

What kind of return would Jones and Staz get as far as a Dman is concerned...or is that too much salary for a team to take on?

Could we still get MDZ for Staz if we took on some of his salary?

EJ MDZ
Wilson Barrie/Hejda
Zanon Hejda/Barrie

That looks much better than what we have now lol

Ive also been running Staz and Jones for Bobby Ryan through my head... but Im not sure thats realistic at all. Plus it leaves us with a hole at D still.
Ryan/Duchene/PAP
Lando/ROR/McGinn
McCleod or solid FA pickup/Mitchell/Downie
4th line line is 4th line

But that top six looks pretty good or at least to me.

By all means flame away...Like I said...Im not sure that the Ryan deal would ever be done. Its nice to think about though. It also gives some size to the first line. Or you could put Ryan with Lando and ROR and keep McGinn up on the first like now.

Last edited by Avs For Life: 03-02-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
So I have a stupid question

What kind of return would Jones and Staz get as far as a Dman is concerned...or is that too much salary for a team to take on?

Ive also been running Staz and Jones for Bobby Ryan through my head... but Im not sure thats realistic at all. Plus it leaves us with a hole at D still.
Ryan/Duchene/PAP
Lando/ROR/McGinn
McCleod or solid FA pickup/Mitchell/Downie
4th line line is 4th line

But that top six looks pretty good or at least to me.

By all means flame away...Like I said...Im not sure that the Ryan deal would ever be done. Its nice to think about though. It also gives some size to the first line. Or you could put Ryan with Lando and ROR and keep McGinn up on the first like now.
A combined cap hit of over $10 million? Yeah, no way are those two getting packaged together in a year where the cap is going down by about that much. Maybe that year Florida was scrambling to get to the salary floor, but definitely not this year.

I think Stastny will get moved next season near the deadline. Probably not for too much either, maybe another expiring contract. I think Jones will eventually get moved as well, but not this soon.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
A combined cap hit of over $10 million? Yeah, no way are those two getting packaged together in a year where the cap is going down by about that much. Maybe that year Florida was scrambling to get to the salary floor, but definitely not this year.

I think Stastny will get moved next season near the deadline. Probably not for too much either, maybe another expiring contract. I think Jones will eventually get moved as well, but not this soon.
Thats kinda what I figured, I edited my post talking about Staz for MDZ, any thoughts on if that could happen? I think we would need to retain some of Stazs salary though.

Our Defense is so bad. Varly would look like a stud even more than he already does if we had ANY defense.

Last edited by Avs For Life: 03-02-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Varly IS a stud
Old
03-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Thats kinda what I figured, I edited my post talking about Staz for MDZ, any thoughts on if that could happen? I think we would need to retain some of Stazs salary though.

Our Defense is so bad. Varly would look like a stud even more than he already does if we had ANY defense.
Talking to Rangers fans, their #1 complaint is that they feel their team is way too soft (that and Gaborik/Richards aren't pulling their weight). One even asked me about O'Byrne. Obviously O'Byrne won't yield MDZ, but NY and CO could still yet be trading partners.

I don't think MDZ gets moved for anything less than Elliott or Barrie, if even that. I think the price will be too high, since Slats will immediately have to replace the offense lost if he moves him.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Talking to Rangers fans, their #1 complaint is that they feel their team is way too soft (that and Gaborik/Richards aren't pulling their weight). One even asked me about O'Byrne. Obviously O'Byrne won't yield MDZ, but NY and CO could still yet be trading partners.

I don't think MDZ gets moved for anything less than Elliott or Barrie, if even that. I think the price will be too high, since Slats will immediately have to replace the offense lost if he moves him.
I was watching highlights from the Habs-Caps series from a few years back and I was surprised to see ROB so physical and delivering body-checks.
How has he become so soft nowadays?

Old
03-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
I was watching highlights from the Habs-Caps series from a few years back and I was surprised to see ROB so physical and delivering body-checks.
How has he become so soft nowadays?
Good question. I don't ever remember him being a shot-blocking guy, and now he's trying it, and looks ridiculous doing so. He's just getting hurt and/or screening the goalie. What concerns me is that Quinn or Sacco is telling these guys to fall back and block shots instead of charging into the corners and knocking the guy off the puck. Maybe now that we have the team's best takeaway guy back Sacco will lean more toward a puck-possession game and quit this collapsing-toward-the-net, shot-blocking garbage.

Plainly put, he just looks lost, and I can't help but think he's either injured moreso than the team or him has indicated, or he's being told to change his game in a way that's simply not working.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:21 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Good question. I don't ever remember him being a shot-blocking guy, and now he's trying it, and looks ridiculous doing so. He's just getting hurt and/or screening the goalie. What concerns me is that Quinn or Sacco is telling these guys to fall back and block shots instead of charging into the corners and knocking the guy off the puck. Maybe now that we have the team's best takeaway guy back Sacco will lean more toward a puck-possession game and quit this collapsing-toward-the-net, shot-blocking garbage.

Plainly put, he just looks lost, and I can't help but think he's either injured moreso than the team or him has indicated, or he's being told to change his game in a way that's simply not working.
I think it's this. Look at how soft the team plays on the blue line and how easily they give up zone entry--our defenders collapse towards the net and give the forward too much time and space. It's been a problem since Sacco took over, but it seems worse the past year or so with an increased emphasis on shot blocking. That's part of the reason why I think they signed Zanon, shot blocking ability. The team says it wants to be harder to play against, yet keeps throwing out a ****** passive defensive scheme. Why?

Old
03-02-2013, 03:37 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:

Are we talking about the same Ryan O'Byrne here?

He does many, many things well below a respectable, NHL level... skating, passing, shooting... but blocking shots? Not only is that one of the only traits that got him to the show, but he is practically in the elite level of shot blockers in the league. He led our team with 141 blocked shots last year. Hejda was second at 134 and Hejda played 7 more games than O'Byrne. He had 50 more blocked shots than our #1 defenseman, Erik Johnson, who logged almost 200 extra more minutes than him.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of his shot blocking skills.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:40 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Only 1 Dman is a + on the Oilers, but I agree he does not show much in the offense side (only 15pts last year avg 20+min/gm). See him as a better Hejda, but to me that would be a huge lift to our pk and even strength defense.
If he can be signed for <3m I'd like to see him an Av.
This... He would be a solid defense first defender who can slot into the top 4. If we picked up Streit & Smid we would have the option to try both moving forward with EJ.

Smid would be fine next to EJ if EJ is going to pick up his offense, on the other hand if hes not and hes going to be more defense first, then Streit as his partner is better.

Personally I'm not sold on EJ breaking out offensively, but that's just me.

O'Byrne 1.8M, Zannon 2.25M, Hunwick 1.6M, all off the roster is 5.65M total to go towards Smid & Streit. I'd sign Streit @ 4yrs 16M (4M), and Smid at 4yrs 14M (3.5M).

Smid/Streit - EJ

Smid/Streit - Wilson (You have to love how Wilson can play either side or with either kind of partner and be effective.)

Hejda - Barrie

O'Brien (7th D, and good lockeroom guy)

Siemens - Elliott leave in the minors for injury call up, and let them redevelop their chemistry at a pro level.

That's a heavily improved Defense, it's blue-collar but would be effective.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 140
Don't know anything about how he plays, but Chris Butler is a LHD RFA in Calgary this year. We could offer sheet him for fun.

Last edited by AslanRH: 03-02-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Read the flames board. Sounds like he's not so good.
Old
03-02-2013, 04:59 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

I have always liked Roman Hamrlik. Is he totally passed it or does he simply not work out well in Caps?

Old
03-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
I think it's this. Look at how soft the team plays on the blue line and how easily they give up zone entry--our defenders collapse towards the net and give the forward too much time and space. It's been a problem since Sacco took over, but it seems worse the past year or so with an increased emphasis on shot blocking. That's part of the reason why I think they signed Zanon, shot blocking ability. The team says it wants to be harder to play against, yet keeps throwing out a ****** passive defensive scheme. Why?
I was so happy when the team finally got rid of Karlis Skrastins (God rest his soul). I still maintain the team went on that amazing playoff run under Quenneville the minute he went down because they quit being a passive shot-blocking team and instead went after attackers in the defensive zone. Sure enough, Q made the mistake of putting him back in for that final game against the Preds, the team went right back to a collapsing, passive defense, and blew a 2-goal lead to lose the game.

That said, I wonder if Zanon's presence is having a similar effect...? Again, I don't mind having guys who block shots, but when it defines your defensive scheme, it's a big problem. I maintain being at or near the lead in blocked shots is the worst kind of "positive" team stat to have, because it means you're basically letting the opposition camp out in your zone while you sit huddled around your goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Are we talking about the same Ryan O'Byrne here?

He does many, many things well below a respectable, NHL level... skating, passing, shooting... but blocking shots? Not only is that one of the only traits that got him to the show, but he is practically in the elite level of shot blockers in the league. He led our team with 141 blocked shots last year. Hejda was second at 134 and Hejda played 7 more games than O'Byrne. He had 50 more blocked shots than our #1 defenseman, Erik Johnson, who logged almost 200 extra more minutes than him.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of his shot blocking skills.
Fair enough, that's why I said I didn't quite remember him being a shot blocker. Whatever the case, he's not doing it well right now. It's almost like he's hesitant to do so, and that's why I wondered if he was ever good at it.

Regardless, the team brought him aboard to clear the crease and punish guys in the corners and along the boards, something he did quite well the last couple seasons. He's not doing it now, and I still maintain that either he's hurt or the coaches are trying to get him to do something different.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Wonder what it would take to get Marcus Foligno on this team? Watching the Sabres game today and he has been very impressive, I think he would work quite well on this team.

What would the Sabres want for him is the question? Foligno + Sekera for Stastny?

Old
03-02-2013, 06:04 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

the only thing about it though. we can't really be aggressive on D and attack because our D men are so bad at angles or pursuit lanes that the opposing team would get easy offensive chances if we miss.
but i really do need them to stop screening the goalie for the opposing team. it's causing a lot of extra traffic at the net and the goalies not being able to find the puck.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Wonder what it would take to get Marcus Foligno on this team? Watching the Sabres game today and he has been very impressive, I think he would work quite well on this team.

What would the Sabres want for him is the question? Foligno + Sekera for Stastny?
The Sabres need cap space. No way will they part with a 20-year-old with all the things he brings. They're more likely to give up a guy like Stafford. And there's not enough there to justify the Sabres taking on Stastny's contract this season and next. Regier is likely looking for a guy who can play a bottom-six checking role and take defensive zone draws. I think since Gaustad was traded they've become the worst faceoff team in the league.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Would we have to add to Stastny for Yandle?

Maybe Stastny and Elliott for Yandle

I wish I had faith that our FO would be aggressive enough to go after a guy like Yandle...

Probably just a pipe dream

Old
03-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Would we have to add to Stastny for Yandle?

Maybe Stastny and Elliott for Yandle

I wish I had faith that our FO would be aggressive enough to go after a guy like Yandle...

Probably just a pipe dream
If I'm Maloney, I don't move Yandle for anything less than a top-line scoring forward (preferably a sniper-type winger). Stastny isn't that. And Elliott would probably not interest them a whole lot since they're pretty deep on the blueline on the roster and in the system.

It'd NEVER happen, but a deal that would benefit both SJ and PHX would be a Yandle-for-Thornton type swap. I'd like to see that deal take place. Maybe something like Yandle/Korpikoski for Thornton or Marleau and a pick. Certainly not something I'd dare put up on the main board, but I think it'd benefit both teams.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
If I'm Maloney, I don't move Yandle for anything less than a top-line scoring forward (preferably a sniper-type winger). Stastny isn't that. And Elliott would probably not interest them a whole lot since they're pretty deep on the blueline on the roster and in the system.

It'd NEVER happen, but a deal that would benefit both SJ and PHX would be a Yandle-for-Thornton type swap. I'd like to see that deal take place. Maybe something like Yandle/Korpikoski for Thornton or Marleau and a pick. Certainly not something I'd dare put up on the main board, but I think it'd benefit both teams.
I just keep wondering where we are going to get a Dman to play with EJ...This D corps isnt working and if they think it is...they are mistaken

It needs to start coming together. Jones probably needs to be moved. Staz or ROR needs to be moved. Obviously ROR cant be for a year.

I do like the Downie and McGinn pickups for the wing. When we get Downie back our wings get more depth and more physical which will be nice.

I think we need a top 6 winger and a top 4 dman and things start looking pretty good. Easier said than done though.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
I just keep wondering where we are going to get a Dman to play with EJ...This D corps isnt working and if they think it is...they are mistaken

It needs to start coming together. Jones probably needs to be moved. Staz or ROR needs to be moved. Obviously ROR cant be for a year.

I do like the Downie and McGinn pickups for the wing. When we get Downie back our wings get more depth and more physical which will be nice.

I think we need a top 6 winger and a top 4 dman and things start looking pretty good. Easier said than done though.
I just don't think we're gonna get that guy from outside the organization. It's gonna have to be one of Elliott/Barrie/Siemens. I think one of those guys will do just fine alongside EJ. The question is, can we assemble a top-four that's at least capable.

More than anything though, we just need a defense that's going to punish the opposition and make them think twice about parking in front of the net. Even I'm just puzzled as to why our supposedly bigger and tougher D is playing so ridiculously soft.

Top-6 winger will probably have to come through the draft.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:55 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
I just don't think we're gonna get that guy from outside the organization. It's gonna have to be one of Elliott/Barrie/Siemens. I think one of those guys will do just fine alongside EJ. The question is, can we assemble a top-four that's at least capable.

More than anything though, we just need a defense that's going to punish the opposition and make them think twice about parking in front of the net. Even I'm just puzzled as to why our supposedly bigger and tougher D is playing so ridiculously soft.

Top-6 winger will probably have to come through the draft.
I think one of the Avs centres will have to be traded next season. I expect that return to include a young top 4 defenceman.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:01 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Oh No,We Suck Again!

vCash: 5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Don't know anything about how he plays, but Chris Butler is a LHD RFA in Calgary this year. We could offer sheet him for fun.
wouldnt do that would be more of the same in o'brien/ o'byrne/hunwick/zanon in terms of a passable number 6 dman

Old
03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
wouldnt do that would be more of the same in o'brien/ o'byrne/hunwick/zanon in terms of a passable number 6 dman
Exactly, the problem with offer sheeting a player like that is you might actually wind up getting him

Closed Thread