HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 12:30 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
Why wouldn't they? Branch has already unofficially awarded the Knights the 2014 hosting rights. I hear 2017 and 2020 is also coming back to familiar territory. It's nice being a fan of the team where the commish, referees and linesmen cater to every need, want, and desire that is put out there by Dale and Mark Hunter. Other teams want to bid, hell, they should just form their own league.
Geez with all that help and u still cant win a mem cup

Ah except when u host,sorry forgot about that

Old
03-01-2013, 12:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Boy I sure hope London doesn't make it to the Memorial Cup and lose to those cheaters in Portland.

I imagine the fans would just tell Portland their Memorial Cup title was tainted.

I don't think London has to worry about that because they won't even win the OHL.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:38 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Boy I sure hope London doesn't make it to the Memorial Cup and lose to those cheaters in Portland.

I imagine the fans would just tell Portland their Memorial Cup title was tainted.

I don't think London has to worry about that because they won't even win the OHL.
I agree with there Rayzor

Hearing about tainted wins is getting pretty stale

Old
03-01-2013, 01:22 PM
OHLTG

I really don't care if fans want to think our wins were tainted. When they say it, I smile, look at my Rimouski and Brandon pictures, and have some coffee.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
aresknights

This London fan wont say the are tainted.

Re London Memorial Ticket Packages. They just want a 25 buck deposit. They will then use the "weve got committment from X # of fans" to show committee theres interest.

In no way is it a foregone conclusion.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:53 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
This London fan wont say the are tainted.

Re London Memorial Ticket Packages. They just want a 25 buck deposit. They will then use the "weve got committment from X # of fans" to show committee theres interest.

In no way is it a foregone conclusion.
aresknights

One of a few that wont say tainted kudos to you and I mean it

Keep posting on this board u are always welcome

Old
03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
aresknights

Thanks HL, doesnt mean I wont take shots thou

Whatever happened before the rules were in place doesnt matter. Im not niave enough to think only the Spits found the line, and stuck a toe, foot or leg over it BEFORE the new sheriff was brought in.
After that, maybe others did cheat, but only the Spits have been caught (so far) and theyre paying for it now.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:01 PM
sbrug

Quote:

Where in my post did I mention anything to be tainted?

Who do you have winning the OHL? How are you so sure London's not winning it this year?

Old
03-01-2013, 03:12 PM
aresknights

Quote:

You do know the league well, where would you rank Londons chances.

Id say top 3 with Ply and Belleville, all being close as favs. If Ktown has Gibson back and hes in good form they got a shot as well.
Id give the Knights the adv but its very close IMO. Should be an exciting POs esp in the west

Old
03-01-2013, 03:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
You do know the league well, where would you rank Londons chances.

Id say top 3 with Ply and Belleville, all being close as favs. If Ktown has Gibson back and hes in good form they got a shot as well.
Id give the Knights the adv but its very close IMO. Should be an exciting POs esp in the west
Your top 3 are pretty good,not sold on Kitchener Gibson or no Gibson,think Owen Sd,Guelph and SSM could be there too
My favs would be Belleville and Plymouth,with London 3rd

Old
03-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
Why wouldn't they? Branch has already unofficially awarded the Knights the 2014 hosting rights. I hear 2017 and 2020 is also coming back to familiar territory. It's nice being a fan of the team where the commish, referees and linesmen cater to every need, want, and desire that is put out there by Dale and Mark Hunter. Other teams want to bid, hell, they should just form their own league.
Nice to see people are finally getting it.

I hear there's a piece before the league govenors to change the league name from the OHL to the HHL.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Snippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Geez with all that help and u still cant win a mem cup

Ah except when u host,sorry forgot about that

Was the Knights hosting the reason they won in 05? Or was it just among the best junior hockey teams ever iced?

Last season, the Knights were one shot away of winning it, when they weren't even expected to come out of their conference.

Another poster mentioned that London has had sustained success. This is true. London has been a consistent force in the league for the past 10 years. Windsor had two absolutely sensational Memorial Cups, but do we know for sure if we can consider them with the likes of Kitchener and London right now?

London and Kitchener have been consistently dominant, always a force in the past 10 years. Windsor had two stunning years, but those wins are becoming more and more isolated. They've had two down years in a row, something I don't think London or Kitchener has experienced. Quick rebuilds. Windsor is going to have to pull up something in the next couple of years, or they won't be one of the big forces any more.

The Memorial Cup is an entertaining tournament to watch, for sure. Thing is, it won't always show who the best team is. Can we say the Shawinigan Cataractes were the very best team in the CHL last year? A lot of people put more stock into it than they do for the league titles. It's a quick tournament that can be won or lost by one off game, or a single bounce. Not saying that Windsor wasn't the best team in 09 and 10, but I think league titles hold more value.

Finally, it's definitely going to be an interesting playoff race. A lot of people are predicting Plymouth and Belleville to be in the playoffs. Reminds me a lot of Plymouth and Niagara of last year. The thing is, any of the following have good shots at winning it: London, Plymouth, OS, Kitchener, SSM, Belleville and Barrie.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Sec108

One thing you have to remember, thats London's success came with new ownership and arena.Windsor hasnt had good ownership since Compuware owned them with those ugly orange uniforms and we won a league title but lost in the mem cup 87'.

London has had the Hunters longer than we with Bougie/WR.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:15 PM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
One thing you have to remember, thats London's success came with new ownership and arena.Windsor hasnt had good ownership since Compuware owned them with those ugly orange uniforms and we won a league title but lost in the mem cup 87'.

London has had the Hunters longer than we with Bougie/WR.

Interesting Article

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/1955773/

Old
03-01-2013, 04:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Was the Knights hosting the reason they won in 05? Or was it just among the best junior hockey teams ever iced?

Last season, the Knights were one shot away of winning it, when they weren't even expected to come out of their conference.
They certainly were but it didn't hurt having it on home ice and having a 6th seed Ottawa 67s pull off a great playoff to get in the Memorial Cup.

If London wasn't expected to come out of the conference last year who was? Especially after getting McKegg and Watson when nobody else did much in the conference during the trade deadline. You're making it sound like what they did last year was some huge miracle, some revisionist history to make it sound better and you make it sound like London beat 80's Red Army to make the Memorial Cup.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
KnightSpit

London Will Win Most If Not All and Set The Standard

Quote:

Razor, sorry I have to respectfully disagree. Hunter will have them ready and not only will the Knights win the OHL Cup, I say they will win the Memorial Cup. How can you not admire that franchise, I mean the Knights are the New York Yankees of the OHL. Every player dreams of being drafted by the knights that run easily the best, first class team in the OHL if not all of Junior hockey. Don't get me wrong, I think Windsor has a good organization and hopefully next year the player movement happens to get back to the palyoffs, but how can anyone even if you do not like London, not see that they set the standard, that all teams should be measured by.

I would also be curious to see if someone had the numbers on the number of Knight players who eventually played in the show. It could be worse Razor, the Spits could be the Otters, who even with McDavid are a very sad and pathetic these days, it is not even anything to laugh at, but I hope Windsor gets back to the palyoffs next year. Any thoughts on any organizatiion that equals or betters LONDON ?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:56 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
$580 is the Early Bird price for pretty much every seat in the arena except for the premium (Platinum Seating) sections. The catch is that you have to buy before May 23rd. Most STHs use this option. If you don't meet that deadline, then you will have to pay the undiscounted price of $814. $814 is crazy high, so one would be foolish to not take advantage of the early bird price.
That's kind of weird that the pricing is the same regardless. The $814 price point is crazy. That's more than my Detroit Lions season tickets (10 games sure, but still).

Old
03-02-2013, 12:10 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Any thoughts on any organizatiion that equals or betters LONDON ?
Depends on the criteria, but Kitchener easy. More Memorial Cup wins, more Robertson trophies more everything. Even if you compare just the last 10 years. The Spitfires would be in the conversation over the last 10 years. If you're talking all time or looking at NHL players produced, you probably have to look at the Generals. London is in the conversation but other teams are too and I would probably lean towards Kitchener. It certainly isn't clear-cut London.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:19 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Razor, sorry I have to respectfully disagree. Hunter will have them ready and not only will the Knights win the OHL Cup, I say they will win the Memorial Cup. How can you not admire that franchise, I mean the Knights are the New York Yankees of the OHL. Every player dreams of being drafted by the knights that run easily the best, first class team in the OHL if not all of Junior hockey. Don't get me wrong, I think Windsor has a good organization and hopefully next year the player movement happens to get back to the palyoffs, but how can anyone even if you do not like London, not see that they set the standard, that all teams should be measured by.

I would also be curious to see if someone had the numbers on the number of Knight players who eventually played in the show. It could be worse Razor, the Spits could be the Otters, who even with McDavid are a very sad and pathetic these days, it is not even anything to laugh at, but I hope Windsor gets back to the palyoffs next year. Any thoughts on any organizatiion that equals or betters LONDON ?

Laying it on a bit thick there I think. You can compare them to the Yankees but I would beware of such comparison because they have won exactly 1 World Series in the last 12years. I have seen many collapses from the Yankees in recent playoff history as well.

Well Grubauer became the 10th Spit from the Memorial Cup teams to play in the NHL. From the 05 Knights Memorial Cup 11 appeared in the NHL but that's over the past 7-8 years. This is including Coleman who hasn't played a game in the NHL for 7 years, Larman who hasn't played a game in 3 years, washout Robbie Schremp, Syvret who has only played 59 NHL games, Bryan Rodney 34 games. In fact Ellis and Fowler have already passed those 2 D. The only players on that London team to make their mark in the NHL are Girardi, Methot, Perry, Prust, Bolland.

I would still take Portland over London. London has injury concerns with Griffith and Harrington. Portland has high NHL picks like Wotherspoon and Pouliot to go with maybe the 1st pick overall in Seth Jones. I also believe they have more top tier talent. I don't think London is as good as last year. They have some more refined talent like Horvat and Domi which helps but they don't have the strength of 19 year olds to carry them like last year. Harrington and Griffith are nice but doesn't compare to last year.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
KnightSpit

Good Points Made

Razor and everyone else.

Some good points made. I forgot about Kitchener and the Generals, also Kitchener is sold out every night and they do have a very decent organization and Portland, you are so right on that one, even with the sanctions and what went on. What I meant about the Yankees is the prestige factor I guess, media coverage, status and the Knights do not run things on the cheap.

Also Razor, since McDavid has joined the OHL I actaully follow Erie a bit, don't know if you have seen the kid play live, but I have and he is the real deal, too bad he is where he is. Any way you think the Spits could get him in a trade, or would things get so bad in Erie, that the kid says, trade or release me !!!

Old
03-02-2013, 12:51 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Razor and everyone else.

Some good points made. I forgot about Kitchener and the Generals, also Kitchener is sold out every night and they do have a very decent organization and Portland, you are so right on that one, even with the sanctions and what went on. What I meant about the Yankees is the prestige factor I guess, media coverage, status and the Knights do not run things on the cheap.

Also Razor, since McDavid has joined the OHL I actaully follow Erie a bit, don't know if you have seen the kid play live, but I have and he is the real deal, too bad he is where he is. Any way you think the Spits could get him in a trade, or would things get so bad in Erie, that the kid says, trade or release me !!!
McDavid is a class act like no other young kid I have ever seen. As of right now I would say absolutely no way that would happen. He is still developing and will be the first pick in the 2015 NHL draft. Unless that changes I wouldn't expect a trade.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Sec108

If I was WR or Boughner even though I put out a bid to host I would secretly call Branch and tell him to shove the hosting right up his deriere.

Then quietly sell the team while there is still money in Ontario and write a tell all book on the real way the OHL is run.Make it shock alot of people.

Say what really went down with this sanctions crap and how the league looks the other way on some teams and others it demonizes.Through dirty politics and game officiating and stifleing free speech.

Not going to happen , but wish it would.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
If I was WR or Boughner even though I put out a bid to host I would secretly call Branch and tell him to shove the hosting right up his deriere.

Then quietly sell the team while there is still money in Ontario and write a tell all book on the real way the OHL is run.Make it shock alot of people.

Say what really went down with this sanctions crap and how the league looks the other way on some teams and others it demonizes.Through dirty politics and game officiating and stifleing free speech.

Not going to happen , but wish it would.
My wish would be to sell the team, but then start up a Canadian equivalent to the US-NTDP, give top 16 and 17 yr old Canadian kids who are considering the NCAA a high level place to play for a couple years until the reach college age. I think a lot of the kids who get drafted at 16 into the OHL almost have to play in the CHL otherwise they have to play down a level for a couple years and stunt their development and head into their NHL draft year playing tier two. Top American kids can play on the U18 team and keep their college eligibility.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Would anybody really care about a disgruntled former OHL owner's view? I think Jose Canseco's book was a best seller (~200,000 copies), but he was exposing MLB (not the OHL) so the level of interest would be a lot higher. Even then, most baseball fans couldn't really have cared less, could they? More than 200,000 people go to an average MLB team's games in a single week...

Old
03-02-2013, 04:58 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
My wish would be to sell the team, but then start up a Canadian equivalent to the US-NTDP, give top 16 and 17 yr old Canadian kids who are considering the NCAA a high level place to play for a couple years until the reach college age. I think a lot of the kids who get drafted at 16 into the OHL almost have to play in the CHL otherwise they have to play down a level for a couple years and stunt their development and head into their NHL draft year playing tier two. Top American kids can play on the U18 team and keep their college eligibility.
Who would they play against? Right now those kids do have the option to play in the OJHL or wherever, but most chose the OHL route. If there were enough players interested in the NCAA route, the quality of players would already exist in the OJHL.

I think the OHL scholarship fund is actually pretty good and allows kids to go to good Canadian schools for basically a full ride. I think the quality of education you can get at top Canadian schools outranks what you can get at most of the US schools that offer out hockey scholarships (obviously Cornell, Harvard etc. excepted).

EDIT: N.B. - It is only their NCAA eligibility that they lose by playing in the CHL, they still have the opportunity to play at Canadian Universities and have their schooling paid for.

Closed Thread