HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ben Eager to the Habs

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 04:09 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
he's now a agitator because he finally found that he couldn't drop the gloves.
He's now an agitator because he has had concussion issues.

I don't see why we're still discussing this. The only thing the Oilers would want for Eager is another physical forward who can play a regular shift without hurting the team. Like Prust. But that won't happen, so there's nothing more to discuss. We certainly don't need picks or prospects for him.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:12 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Says the guy who clearly didn't understand sarcasm. Also coming from the guy who offered Belanger and Eager for White and a 1st. You really should NOT be casting aspersions on ANYONE's intelligence. Especially if you need an idiotic "smiley" to understand clear and obvious sarcasm. No worries, though, I won't judge all Oiler fans based on one person.
Because sarcasm is so easy to spot in type. I don't think his proposal is that far off from what Edmonton would want either, they'd need a trade to be worth their while, and sending Eager for late picks or crappy prospects isn't worth their time.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He's now an agitator because he has had concussion issues.

I don't see why we're still discussing this. The only thing the Oilers would want for Eager is another physical forward who can play a regular shift without hurting the team. Like Prust. But that won't happen, so there's nothing more to discuss. We certainly don't need picks or prospects for him.
and because he can't fight for ****. Nothing new here. Eager have never been a good fighter.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
and because he can't fight for ****. Nothing new here. Eager have never been a good fighter.
That's fine. We'd rather have him crushing guys on the ice than sitting in the box for 5 minutes.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Eager has played very well this year. He won't be waived unless the Oil manage to pick up three more physical wingers. He's being severely underrated in this thread.
Eager needs to be able to hit and fight to be effective. The concussion he suffered may well curb his desire and/or ability to do what he needs to be able to do to be effective. If he has any further problems, he will be replaced at season's end. Concussions always worry me, but much more so in tough/energy type of guys who rely on physical play to be effective.

I have no doubt that Eager is a very decent 4th liner with some 3rd line upside at times. He is just not worth what people have been asking for him. Keep in mind, we are talking about a guy who is 29, has never played a full season, and never scored over 17 points in a season. If he is NOT a fighter at his size, he is really lacking in use more than I thought. This is not a guy who is going to get the equivalent of a 1st to 3rd round pick. He might get a 4th from a desperate team. Montreal is NOT that desperate.

Old
bud12

Quote:
Because sarcasm is so easy to spot in type. I don't think his proposal is that far off from what Edmonton would want either, they'd need a trade to be worth their while, and sending Eager for late picks or crappy prospects isn't worth their time.
wait what??? you think Eager and Belanger could fetch you a White and a 1st? At this point, White have probably more value than Eager

Old
FanHabtic

Why does this thread exist? If the Oil waive Eager there is a good chance that no team picks him up. Similarly if the Habs waive Armstrong there is a good chance no one picks him up. Eager is not a player any team trades for. He's the type of guy you puck up off waivers if a need arises (like Sestito).

Old
03-02-2013, 04:16 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Is this a joke thread. Eager is a complete moron and a liability.
He's been pretty good this year to be honest.

I doubt Edmonton would trade him at the moment without some toughness coming back either through trade or waivers. They tried to get Volpatti but Washington claimed him first.

MTL and EDM suffer from the same issues as far as toughness goes.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:17 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
wait what??? you think Eager and Belanger could fetch you a White and a 1st? At this point, White have probably more value than Eager
No, I don't think the Habs take it. But I think there are very few pieces that the Habs have that would interest the Oilers in a trade for Eager. Prust, sure. 1st round pick, sure. Untouchables, sure. Do the Habs bite on any of these? Nope. But the Oilers don't need more depth picks or junk prospects.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:19 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Why does this thread exist? If the Oil waive Eager there is a good chance that no team picks him up. Similarly if the Habs waive Armstrong there is a good chance no one picks him up. Eager is not a player any team trades for. He's the type of guy you puck up off waivers if a need arises (like Sestito).
That's a ridiculous statement from someone who obviously hasn't been watching Eager play this year. He's been playing very good hockey. He's actually got great hockey skills, that's why he was a first round pick. His offense never developed, but he's a very good 4th liner. Especially now that he has become smarter and doesn't take stupid penalties often. A lot of teams would put in a claim for Eager if he were put on waivers. He's not some bum like Colton Orr who is only good at throwing his fists. He won't be put on waivers anyway.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:20 PM
bud12

Quote:
No, I don't think the Habs take it. But I think there are very few pieces that the Habs have that would interest the Oilers in a trade for Eager. Prust, sure. 1st round pick, sure. Untouchables, sure. Do the Habs bite on any of these? Nope. But the Oilers don't need more depth picks or junk prospects.
are you talking about Thrower?

Old
03-02-2013, 04:20 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
The homerism is strong in this one. LOL

Old
03-02-2013, 04:22 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
are you talking about Thrower?
No, I like Thrower as a prospect. But he's not really needed by the Oilers either.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
The scoop on Theo Peckham is he is someone believed to be on the outs in the organization came into camp a little bit out of shape, was rumoured to be way out of shape but apparently physical testing indicated just a bit below where he was last year. Admitted to losing his focus during the lock-out, he also used to be a pretty decent fighter, but after Nathan Horton rung his bell he's not really much of a fighter anymore either. He's played all of twice this year and looked good in both showings, he always plays a very physical brand of hockey and seems to find his way into every scrum. Has given inconsistent performances when we play him on a regular basis, the inconsistencies are not his physical game which he always brings but at times is more prone to poor puck management or taking stupid penalties. Can be very hot headed at times, will always stick up for his teammates and will sometimes go over the edge in the process.

He is a capable depth defender but not someone who should be playing every night, he is someone best to slot in for when playing a particularly tough physical match-up or can fill in on for injury on a short term basis. He plays his best when he is phyisical and plays a simple game and keeps the puck on his stick for a minimal amount of time. If you want a comparable I'd say Sean Brown is a good one who you might be more familiar with, I thought his upside would be a little higher, but his development has been a bit up and down so I'm not sure if he is going to end up a better version of Sean Brown or a worse one.

IMO he is currently Edmonton's 6th best defenseman but Fistric has pretty much taken his job on the team and with neither Fistric or Peckham being great puck-movers they don't make the best pairing, so Corey Potter is usually slotted ahead of him. We can use the depth on defense that he provides, and would much rather get rid of Whitney first if at all possible.
Thanks for that. I thought that he was injured, seeing that he only played 2 games so far.

Quote:
When healthy Eager couldn't crack the Habs roster. That is no exaggeration nor a sleight to Oiler fans. Its the truth. The only player I would trade is nokelainen. Ie. A wasted roster spot for another.
I strongly disagree. How many of Eager's games have you actually watched (serious question here, as he's been out west for so long)? He can be an excellent 4th liner with 3rd line upside if/when needed. He is undisciplined at times though, because he plays on the edge.

Quote:
Why does this thread exist?
Why do you insist in posting in it if you don't like it?

Old
zeus3007*

Quote:
The homerism is strong in this one. LOL
Or maybe I just understand what our team needs are. We need size and grit. Why would we trade our biggest, grittiest forward for junk? We'd need it to be worth our time, "smart" guy. No homerism, I just don't want to make our team even easier to push around, while getting nothing in return.

Old
bud12

Quote:
No, I like Thrower as a prospect. But he's not really needed by the Oilers either.
so you don't need D who play tough? Nevermind, trading Thrower for Eager is really stupid.......

Old
03-02-2013, 04:28 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
so you don't need D who play tough? Nevermind, trading Thrower for Eager is really stupid.......
We have lots of defense prospects. We aren't trading roster players for prospects, regardless of how good they might be.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:29 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Or maybe I just understand what our team needs are. We need size and grit. Why would we trade our biggest, grittiest forward for junk? We'd need it to be worth our time, "smart" guy. No homerism, I just don't want to make our team even easier to push around, while getting nothing in return.
Perhaps an Oilers team need is finding 3rd and 4th line NHLers who can contribute. Eager is a borderline NHLer. The fact that he is a fixture on the Oilers speaks volumes as to why the Oilers are not close to being a competitive team. However Eager does help the Oilers neverending quest of selecting the number 1 pick in every draft.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:31 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Dalton Thrower has the ability to be a Deryk Engelland type defenseman, but with much higher offensive upside.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:33 PM
FanHabtic

Why would any team deal away a prospect (even crappy prospects) for a borderline NHLer like Eager?? You can find these types of players on waivers. He's not dime a dozen, he's penny a dozen!

Old
03-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Why would any team deal away a prospect (even crappy prospects) for a borderline NHLer like Eager?? You can find these types of players on waivers. He's not dime a dozen, he's penny a dozen!
You sure are contributing a lot to a thread which you wondered why it was even opened.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:39 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Perhaps an Oilers team need is finding 3rd and 4th line NHLers who can contribute. Eager is a borderline NHLer. The fact that he is a fixture on the Oilers speaks volumes as to why the Oilers are not close to being a competitive team. However Eager does help the Oilers neverending quest of selecting the number 1 pick in every draft.
You might want to stop posting now. Your lack of knowledge of anything non-Habs is incredible.
Fact, Ben Eager was a first round draft pick.
Fact, Ben Eager has a Stanley Cup ring, and was an important member of that team.
Fact, the year after he won a cup, he went to the Western Conference finals, and again, was a very important member of the team.
Eager has played solid hockey all year this year, and has taken few dumb penalties, which used to be the biggest criticism of his game.

Doesn't sound like the Blackhawks or Sharks thought he was a borderline NHL'er. And he hasn't played like one on the Oilers either. The Oilers do need more forward depth, but not to take Eager's spot. And before you start throwing cheap shots, you should probably realize that the Oilers are 2 points out of a playoff spot right now. Yet another dumb statement.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
You might want to stop posting now. Your lack of knowledge of anything non-Habs is incredible.
Fact, Ben Eager has a Stanley Cup ring, and was an important member of that team.
Fact, the year after he won a cup, he went to the Western Conference finals, and again, was a very important member of the team.
Eager has played solid hockey all year this year, and has taken few dumb penalties, which used to be the biggest criticism of his game.

Doesn't sound like the Blackhawks or Sharks thought he was a borderline NHL'er. And he hasn't played like one on the Oilers either. The Oilers do need more forward depth, but not to take Eager's spot. And before you start throwing cheap shots, you should probably realize that the Oilers are 2 points out of a playoff spot right now. Yet another dumb statement.
I agree with what you're saying. However, his play has gone down a bit from his years in Chicago, you have to admit. Don't get me wrong, he's still a good agitator but if he can't (or he's not willing to) fight, he's then not much use for what the Habs would need him for. Bergevin is (apparently) working the phones looking for a big guy to help out Prust and Eager came to mind as I like the guy.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:44 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:

Fact, Alexander Daigle was a first round pick
Fact, Steven Kampfer has a Stanley Cup rignt
Fact, Tim Sestito made it to the cup finals

Old
03-02-2013, 04:44 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You sure are contributing a lot to a thread which you wondered why it was even opened.
I don't see much "contributing" to this thread. Trolling maybe, contributing, nope.

Closed Thread