HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Analysis of Lowe's GM history

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
and then he would have been ufa at the end of the season.
Yup. You got that right.

12-19-2003, 08:04 PM
theoil

I think you missed letting Scott Fraser (the player who came up and played 29 games for the oil and scored 12 goals) follow Sather to New York.

Without doing the individual trade thing the bottom line for me is this. When Lowe took over the high price help was eating all the budget and yet they were all at their prime and there was little upside to Weight, Guerin, Hamrlik, etc. The team couldn't get better because they were all mature players and we were still a 6-9 place team.

Three and a half years later we may still be a 6-9 place team but most of the talent is young and getting better. We maintained our position, got younger and have an upside on a limited budget. This is not easy to do and I would suggest that had the Comrie situation not developed (and we still don't know what role Lowe played in that) that there is a good chance that we would be fighting for the 4-5 position this year though that may be optimism speaking because with whatever is bothering Salo it is hard for any team to win.

For a young GM just hitting his stride? I say a B. My biggest complaint about Lowe to date is regarding Marchant. Not about letting him go. I understand the pros and cons and can live with it. It is about not talking to Marchant and thanking him for the years he gave to this organization. I don't understand that. It costs nothing and says a lot.

By biggest compliment about Lowe? No fear. He knows that to win he has to take long shots in trades and drafts and he has laid it on the line like no other GM I know of on both counts. I like that a lot.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:00 PM
The Rage

What you have to rememer about Lowe, he was only two years removed from playing when he took the GM job, and when he did so he had no prior experience in management. I think things will only get better for him as he becomes more experienced. And as for plusses, let's not forget his involvement in the Olympic gold medal team. As far as I know, he was the only GM heavily involved in the selection process.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
and then he would have been ufa at the end of the season.
Shows how much I remember from what was at stake three years ago. :p

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Old
12-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Chayos

Lowe has an eye for good young talent. Whenever he makes a trade people are ripping him up for the deal, but within 1 year the same people are taking a double take(ie Brewer, Torres, Dvorak). I Think he is great at stealth trades and I have been very happy with the job he has done so far. Marchant going for nothing bothers me, but then again cujo for nothing really bothered me so I think overall if that is our biggest complaint we should be damn happy. Think Mike Milbury.

Old
12-20-2003, 12:35 AM
maximil

I liked reading this. I also agreed with most of his comments. Lowe has been a pretty good GM. Most of his personel moves have been sound financial investments.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I think he does a very good job of evaluating the development of his players. He gets fair value for players when he knows that he can replace their role with someone cheaper and potentially just as useful.

Last edited by maximil: 12-20-2003 at 12:40 AM.
Old
12-20-2003, 01:42 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
I think you missed letting Scott Fraser (the player who came up and played 29 games for the oil and scored 12 goals) follow Sather to New York.
Nope, Sather was still the Gm and Ron Low the coach when Scott Fraser left. Neil Smith was the Rangers Gm who signed Scott Fraser only to see him disappear.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Speaking about Lowe. Did any of you hear Lowe on the HNIC pre-game. He's miffed and angry at Bryan Murray. Lowe said he told Murray twice there was no deal until he talked to the Comrie camp. When he talked, you could tell he was angry. Scott Oakes said that Lowe isn't angry at Comrie but he's angry at Bryan Murray.

Last edited by Narnia: 12-20-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old
12-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Mr Sakich

an unusual aspect to this trade was how public it went. Lowe's trades generally come out of the blue but Winter and Murray have very big mouths. This all should have been kept behind closed doors and that was what Lowe asked for in the beginning.

I can see why he is upset.

Old
12-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke
You wouldn't happen to be a student, would you?

If so I feel your pain.
you gotta hang in there. When I was a student, I was THE definition of poor. My one treat a week was Tuesday when burger king had the whoppers on for 99 cents. Other than that, it was KD and soup.

Closed Thread