HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ROR Offer - Good move or not?

View Poll Results: Was this a good move by Feaster if it goes through?
Yes, we need centres and ROR makes us a playoff team 45 59.21%
No, this is a disaster and we are throwing away a top-10/5/2 pick 31 40.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Shawnofthedeadz

vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
He would make us a 9th place team likely, which means a pick in the 13th range. No player we pick there is likely to become as good as ROR.

I think it was a smart move, ROR would have been way overpaid but that's typical Flames anyways.

I agree with a poster above, i fear Feaster is going to make a stupid decision soon (like sending our first to NYR for Richards)
Funny because ROR is a second round pick. That being said I don't think a 13th round pick is as valuable as a proven young player who looks only to get better. After all, Zetterberg was a 7th round pick and I bet the majority of teams in the league would be willing to give up a first for him.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:49 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
Funny because ROR is a second round pick. That being said I don't think a 13th round pick is as valuable as a proven young player who looks only to get better. After all, Zetterberg was a 7th round pick and I bet the majority of teams in the league would be willing to give up a first for him.
Yea totally agree that is pretty funny considering ROR draft spot, but the Flames have a real bad history with picks, so taking ROR over a 10th overall pick, is a no brainer.

Top 5 pick... ill take the pick.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
I think, with the emergence of the information about the waiver process, this would have been an unarguably disastrous move, had it gone through. The Flames would lose not only the picks, but the player as well.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Mifroid

vCash: 400
Even without the waiver thing, I don't think the Flames should trade their picks this year.

Mifroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
redsfanhere*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
Seems like it could be very possible another move is already in place. Feaster isn't stupid, I don't thing he would devalue our current assets by putting himself in a situation where he had to move someone to make cap next year. It could also explain the poor timing on the offer sheet
would you like to change your mind about your gm...lol

redsfanhere* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Hi. Kings fan here. I posted this in the other thread, but thought I'd repost it here.

Noted Kings blogger Quisp has a couple of articles you might be interested in - he thinks Feaster was right, and the media talking heads were wrong:

Jay Feaster is Right and You are Wrong

Chris Johnston Doubles-Down on his False "Scoop" Re the Flames and O'Reilly

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Noori

Interesting. At the very least, he should have approached the NHL before extending the offer. My guess is that he just didn't know.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:30 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Interesting. At the very least, he should have approached the NHL before extending the offer. My guess is that he just didn't know.
I highly doubt they didn't know about the rule, given the fact that Feaster had clearly planned out the day he would offer sheet ROR it is much more likely they new about the rule and believed they were right. Feaster clearly thought about the contract as to try and force Colorado to pass on it, I find it extremely unlikely they didn't read the rule.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I highly doubt they didn't know about the rule, given the fact that Feaster had clearly planned out the day he would offer sheet ROR it is much more likely they new about the rule and believed they were right. Feaster clearly thought about the contract as to try and force Colorado to pass on it, I find it extremely unlikely they didn't read the rule.
If Feaster knew the rule why didn't he tell ROR's agent (Who was completely unaware)? Why didn't he even once contact the NHL regarding the rule prior to signing the offersheet?

Old
03-02-2013, 03:30 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
If Feaster knew the rule why didn't he tell ROR's agent (Who was completely unaware)? Why didn't he even once contact the NHL regarding the rule prior to signing the offersheet?
A) Why didn't he ask the nhl? If it became public that that was the rule other teams could take advantage of it and so Feaster would be stupid to point it out

B) Why didn't he tell ROR agent? If he mentioned it to anyone it would be public and could end up costing Feaster a shot at ROR again it would be stupid to do it.

Given that more and more people believe that this is in fact a loop hole and the NHLPA would be on Feaster's side it is a pretty sure bet he did know the rule and was exposing it for his advantage.

What seems more likely, Feaster an experienced GM and lawyer and his legal team look at every rule regarding RFA's to maximize the effect of their offer sheet except this one or the sportsnet reporter who is not a lawyer mistook the rule and many people just piled on?

Old
03-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

vCash: 660
Quote:
A) Why didn't he ask the nhl? If it became public that that was the rule other teams could take advantage of it and so Feaster would be stupid to point it out

B) Why didn't he tell ROR agent? If he mentioned it to anyone it would be public and could end up costing Feaster a shot at ROR again it would be stupid to do it.

Given that more and more people believe that this is in fact a loop hole and the NHLPA would be on Feaster's side it is a pretty sure bet he did know the rule and was exposing it for his advantage.

What seems more likely, Feaster an experienced GM and lawyer and his legal team look at every rule regarding RFA's to maximize the effect of their offer sheet except this one or the sportsnet reporter who is not a lawyer mistook the rule and many people just piled on?
Why would he have too? Its not his job to make sure everyone understands the CBA.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:06 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
Why would he have too? Its not his job to make sure everyone understands the CBA.
Why would who after do what?

Old
03-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Flames92

Quote:

Exactly my thoughts throughout this whole process. I highly doubt that a sportsnet reporter would find something like this in the CBA that would be overlooked not only by Feaster but the whole legal department. Given that Feaster has a law degree its even more less likely that this mistake happens to Calgary over any other GM. Whats not helping Feaster is his poor response to this whole situation. If he's actually right he should be out their properly explaining to everyone how it is instead of having his image ruined by the media.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Noori

Quote:

That seems a little far-fetched.

Why would the NHL disclose the information to everyone else? They are impartial. Why would the player agent? Everyone was working under the assumption that they could offersheet O'Rielly (it has been reported more teams were pursuing him). Revealing the rule would have caused them to doubt their decision; I doubt that's what the agent wants. How does this affect Ryan O'Rielly who actually wanted to play with the Flames and would have a better opportunity here than anywhere else in the league.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Northern Neighbour

The one good thing to come out of this (besides Colorado matching the offer sheet) is that now Feaster and company will check with the NHL first before signing Ramo. They better be sure they can sign Ramo without him having to go through waivers. Given he's the team's own RFA, the club should be able to sign him and have him play this year.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:35 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
That seems a little far-fetched.

Why would the NHL disclose the information to everyone else? They are impartial. Why would the player agent? Everyone was working under the assumption that they could offersheet O'Rielly (it has been reported more teams were pursuing him). Revealing the rule would have caused them to doubt their decision; I doubt that's what the agent wants. How does this affect Ryan O'Rielly who actually wanted to play with the Flames and would have a better opportunity here than anywhere else in the league.
The nhl already sent out a memo to other GM's after this, so clearly they feel the need to keep a level playing field.

I am don't saying that this is 100% truth but the fact is it is a much more plausible story than a team of lawyers including Feaster who has years of experience as a NHL GM and dealing with the Cba would look at every rule except this one.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
i thoguht it was a good move and even if we couldnt play ROR this year it would have been nice to have him next year (couldnt have we just had him play in a nother league until the season was over)

In all honesty i think ROR is gonna be better than some of these guys in the draft

i see ROR as a 90 point center thats lights out defensively (think Datsyuk)

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
TrickRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
i thoguht it was a good move and even if we couldnt play ROR this year it would have been nice to have him next year (couldnt have we just had him play in a nother league until the season was over)

In all honesty i think ROR is gonna be better than some of these guys in the draft

i see ROR as a 90 point center thats lights out defensively (think Datsyuk)
Unfortunately, we wouldn't have a choice. No matter where he played, he would have been put on waivers.

TrickRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Noori

Quote:
The nhl already sent out a memo to other GM's after this, so clearly they feel the need to keep a level playing field.

I am don't saying that this is 100% truth but the fact is it is a much more plausible story than a team of lawyers including Feaster who has years of experience as a NHL GM and dealing with the Cba would look at every rule except this one.
Other teams were already pursuing O'Reilly, so this doesn't change anything. The Flames didn't hold an advantage if no one else knew about the rule.