HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2013 Regular Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
  #51
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Anyone else hear Dustin Brown on WIP earlier today? He does not sound like he has the mindset to be a big leaguer (at least he didn't in this interview). The guys were asking him about why he thought he was sent down and what he has been working on and he was just kind of like, "whatever man, I don't make the calls, I just do my best." And they asked what he thinks about making the team this year and if there is any pressure and it was a similar "whatever man, if they send me down they send me down." This is the opposite of what DeFratus said the other day on the show when they asked him similar questions and he basically said "this is it, I have to make the team and do everything I can to stay up, etc." That's what I would expect from a prospect who is really on the verge of making or breaking his career, not Brown's response.

I was a big Dom Brown supporter from the get-go and always defended him to friends (and probably people on here), but hearing him today makes me worried. Still pulling for him but that interview really just rubbed me the wrong way.
I didn't hear the interview, but honestly it sounds like what most athletes would say. I don't know how many times I've heard a guy say some variation of "all I can control is how I play, I don't make the decisions so if I do what I can things will work out". I worry more about De Fratus saying what he said, because he's probably not going to make the team with all the vets they brought in. How hard is he going to take it if he goes back to AAA?

It's time to just let Brown play regularly and see what he's got. Not that it should matter, but it's nice that he's off to a hot start in ST so the team might actually give him that chance.

zarley zelepukin is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 05:23 PM
  #52
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I didn't hear the interview, but honestly it sounds like what most athletes would say. I don't know how many times I've heard a guy say some variation of "all I can control is how I play, I don't make the decisions so if I do what I can things will work out". I worry more about De Fratus saying what he said, because he's probably not going to make the team with all the vets they brought in. How hard is he going to take it if he goes back to AAA?
Really? I feel the complete opposite. I would think if there is a highly regarded prospect (or even a not-so-highly regarded prospect) asked about making the team his response would be that he is going to do every possible thing he can to make the team and remain on the roster and work on anything he can to get there, not "whatever, we'll see what happens and if they send me down they send me down." DeFratus had the response I would expect. Brown seemed to either not care or act like the question was beneath him for some reason. Neither of which are responses I would expect from a guy who has the type of attitude I would be looking for. For instance, I can't imagine Chase Utley or Roy Halladay giving a response anything close to that.

Quote:
It's time to just let Brown play regularly and see what he's got. Not that it should matter, but it's nice that he's off to a hot start in ST so the team might actually give him that chance.
Oh absolutely. Like I said in my OP, I was always a huge DB fan, this interview just rubbed me the wrong way. I think it is clear he has the talent and tools to be in the outfield for a while, its just a matter of actually putting those things to use.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
  #53
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Really? I feel the complete opposite. I would think if there is a highly regarded prospect (or even a not-so-highly regarded prospect) asked about making the team his response would be that he is going to do every possible thing he can to make the team and remain on the roster and work on anything he can to get there, not "whatever, we'll see what happens and if they send me down they send me down." DeFratus had the response I would expect. Brown seemed to either not care or act like the question was beneath him for some reason. Neither of which are responses I would expect from a guy who has the type of attitude I would be looking for. For instance, I can't imagine Chase Utley or Roy Halladay giving a response anything close to that.
I think I see where you're coming from. Again, I didn't hear the interview so maybe his exact words and tone made it come off differently. He's never seemed like the most intense guy in the interviews I have seen with him. But just from reading your post it seems more like he's saying he's going to worry about playing his best and not about what Rube and Charlie are going to do.

zarley zelepukin is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 07:02 AM
  #54
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Really? I feel the complete opposite. I would think if there is a highly regarded prospect (or even a not-so-highly regarded prospect) asked about making the team his response would be that he is going to do every possible thing he can to make the team and remain on the roster and work on anything he can to get there, not "whatever, we'll see what happens and if they send me down they send me down." DeFratus had the response I would expect. Brown seemed to either not care or act like the question was beneath him for some reason. Neither of which are responses I would expect from a guy who has the type of attitude I would be looking for. For instance, I can't imagine Chase Utley or Roy Halladay giving a response anything close to that.
A lot of baseball players are more laid back than other athletes. Guys like Utley and Halladay are different. I see a bunch of guys that are Ryan Howard like. Just kind of chill, and probably wouldn't say something you'd expect to hear from say a football player. Baseball isn't really a fiery, emotional sport.

Protest is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 07:07 AM
  #55
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I think I see where you're coming from. Again, I didn't hear the interview so maybe his exact words and tone made it come off differently. He's never seemed like the most intense guy in the interviews I have seen with him. But just from reading your post it seems more like he's saying he's going to worry about playing his best and not about what Rube and Charlie are going to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
A lot of baseball players are more laid back than other athletes. Guys like Utley and Halladay are different. I see a bunch of guys that are Ryan Howard like. Just kind of chill, and probably wouldn't say something you'd expect to hear from say a football player. Baseball isn't really a fiery, emotional sport.
Fair enough. I hope he makes it though because he has so much talent. Also something else he was talking about in the interview was that it was difficult to play in front 40k+ fans in Philly, another thing you don't want to hear from one of your top prospects. Either way, if he can be our Right Fielder this year, I would be more than happy. I think the important thing is that he doesn't platoon. He has to play every day. Maybe not a full 162, but at least like 140ish. If they platoon him with Young or Ruff or anyone else it is only going to exacerbate the situation. Either stick him in right all year or trade him.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 12:14 PM
  #56
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Fair enough. I hope he makes it though because he has so much talent. Also something else he was talking about in the interview was that it was difficult to play in front 40k+ fans in Philly, another thing you don't want to hear from one of your top prospects. Either way, if he can be our Right Fielder this year, I would be more than happy. I think the important thing is that he doesn't platoon. He has to play every day. Maybe not a full 162, but at least like 140ish. If they platoon him with Young or Ruff or anyone else it is only going to exacerbate the situation. Either stick him in right all year or trade him.
Totally agree about playing time. He hit lefties well enough in the minors, and even though he struggled in the majors against lefties last year (in all of 26 PAs) his career major league numbers against lefties aren't bad for a player who's just starting off. It's ridiculous that we even have to worry about this with a player like Brown, but hopefully the Phils realize that giving a large portion of his at-bats to Mayberry or, even worse, Delmon Young, is not a good idea.

zarley zelepukin is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 04:52 PM
  #57
crack2464
Registered User
 
crack2464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Any ideas what the starting pitchers rotation will look like?

crack2464 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:04 PM
  #58
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crack2464 View Post
Any ideas what the starting pitchers rotation will look like?
Hamels
Halladay
Lee
Kendrick
Lannan

right now at least

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:25 PM
  #59
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,240
vCash: 300
Hamels got rocked by the Dominican Republic, game is on MLB network.

PhilaFlyers is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
  #60
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Going to the game tomorrow. The good doctor is pitching.

DeadPhish5858 is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 06:48 PM
  #61
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Hamels
Halladay
Lee
Kendrick
Lannan

right now at least
Oh **** I totally forgot about Lannan.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
  #62
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Hamels got rocked but it was an All Star team and it's Spring training. Pitchers are more focused on working on specific things then dominating the competition.

mm6492 is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 12:43 PM
  #63
SnS
Mod Supervisor
 
SnS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 50
Tommy Joseph guns him down!

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/SnS-Sig.gif

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
  #64
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,929
vCash: 50
Delmon Young is a friggen moron.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:11 PM
  #65
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 500
What did he do now?

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:12 PM
  #66
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
What did he do now?
He had some stupid quotes today. I can't look them up because I'm at work and the sites are blocked, but they basically were him jawing with the media and sounding stupid.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:16 PM
  #67
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,678
vCash: 500
Do you mean something like this: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...ly-be-bothered

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:18 PM
  #68
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,929
vCash: 50
That's exactly it. I remember the being cold one in particular. Dude obviously doesn't care about how people perceive him.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:30 PM
  #69
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
As much as I loathe the Delmon signing, and think he's a pretty terrible player, I don't see anything wrong with anything in that article. I really couldn't care less if a player isn't a good interview for the media guys, but I do find it funny that something so meaningless will help to turn public opinion in Philly, which I think is largely still in his favor, around on him. As if being a terrible OF and baserunner while being a very mediocre hitter isn't enough.

zarley zelepukin is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
  #70
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
As much as I loathe the Delmon signing, and think he's a pretty terrible player, I don't see anything wrong with anything in that article. I really couldn't care less if a player isn't a good interview for the media guys, but I do find it funny that something so meaningless will help to turn public opinion in Philly, which I think is largely still in his favor, around on him. As if being a terrible OF and baserunner while being a very mediocre hitter isn't enough.
This normally wouldn't bother me but given his history of being such a POS... I figured he'd at least try to endear himself.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 06:28 PM
  #71
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Meanwhile Halladay today was hilarious

mm6492 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
  #72
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,965
vCash: 500
jesus, do these Dominicans realize that it's the top of the 9th? It's really pathetic how they have acted. I sound like an bitter old man.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 09:31 PM
  #73
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,965
vCash: 500
I'm definitely not going to miss that patented Victorino pop-up.

Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
  #74
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I'm definitely not going to miss that patented Victorino pop-up.
It's ok we'll have the "patented" Michael Young 6-4-3 double play instead.

zarley zelepukin is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 07:46 PM
  #75
jml87
Registered User
 
jml87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
I was down in Clearwater last week to watch some games. Everyone looked pretty good to me. Personally, I'm just tired of the pessimism from fans. I mean obviously they aren't stacked and they are older but when healthy, I think the team can compete for the division, maybe more.

Brown has had an awesome ST, Utley and Howard are actually playing, Hamels still looks dominant. Only big question mark is Halladay but I'm willing to believe that he's going to have an ok season.

I guess, I still believe the Phillies can win it all. You get hot at the right time and stay healthy and anything can happen. I'm just tired of all these fans just ******** all over this team. Some guy was out there heckling Utley while they were out taking batting practice while I was at the game. People telling me that Howard is worthless and Brown a bust. Comments on forums, twitter, and under articles calling Halladay and the Phillies liars after Roy came out cause of the stomach flu.

Seriously, I see the faults, but it's not that bad. I'm just sad, that's all, that most people won't even give these guys a chance.

jml87 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.