HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban's play since coming back

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
  #626
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
saying ?
Really want to play that game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Did a while ago no worries. We both know that while you pretend you're just making observations and all, reality is you have a hard time dealing with the fact your little darling isnt on the ice as much as you'd like to.

I'm not going to play this childish game forever, so how about tossing this aside and partake in the actual discussion.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 12:18 PM
  #627
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,533
vCash: 500
Quotes from Cole about PK:

“P.K. is just an all-world talent, he really is,” Cole said. “He has all the tools in the world. But sometimes, he tries to do more than he needs to. Sometimes, that can be less effective.

“In a team game, it’s something that you try to say to him. ‘Hey, just move it here, jump into the hole, simplify a little bit.’ I sent him a text message, telling him, ‘Keep it simple, make the simple play and before you know it, you’ll be at the NHL awards.’

“That’s the truth, he’s that good of a player. P.K. is still figuring it out. He has all the talent in the world. It hasn’t all come together yet, but hopefully, it will.”


- See more at: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport....hbyl4JRI.dpuf

loudi94 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
  #628
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Quotes from Cole about PK:

“P.K. is just an all-world talent, he really is,” Cole said. “He has all the tools in the world. But sometimes, he tries to do more than he needs to. Sometimes, that can be less effective.

“In a team game, it’s something that you try to say to him. ‘Hey, just move it here, jump into the hole, simplify a little bit.’ I sent him a text message, telling him, ‘Keep it simple, make the simple play and before you know it, you’ll be at the NHL awards.’

“That’s the truth, he’s that good of a player. P.K. is still figuring it out. He has all the talent in the world. It hasn’t all come together yet, but hopefully, it will.”


- See more at: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport....hbyl4JRI.dpuf


That's what I thought. Class act, Cole.

And I agree with him about Subban. It's a question of maturity and hockey IQ, not of skill or experience.

PricePkPatch is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 12:55 PM
  #629
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Quotes from Cole about PK:

“P.K. is just an all-world talent, he really is,” Cole said. “He has all the tools in the world. But sometimes, he tries to do more than he needs to. Sometimes, that can be less effective.

“In a team game, it’s something that you try to say to him. ‘Hey, just move it here, jump into the hole, simplify a little bit.’ I sent him a text message, telling him, ‘Keep it simple, make the simple play and before you know it, you’ll be at the NHL awards.’

“That’s the truth, he’s that good of a player. P.K. is still figuring it out. He has all the talent in the world. It hasn’t all come together yet, but hopefully, it will.”


- See more at: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport....hbyl4JRI.dpuf
Hmmmmm...

How will you guys spin this one?

This is exactly what I've been saying about PK. IMO this is spot on. He is and will be a great player, how great? No one knows, but we shouldn't be crowning him with anything just yet.

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 01:05 PM
  #630
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Future norris trophy winner says Cole !!

habdynasty is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 01:11 PM
  #631
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Hmmmmm...

How will you guys spin this one?

This is exactly what I've been saying about PK. IMO this is spot on. He is and will be a great player, how great? No one knows, but we shouldn't be crowning him with anything just yet.
Pretty much. God forbid you question Subban's "legitimacy" as the undisputed #1D for the Habs currently for some people though.

He's a great talent, the Habs are incredibly lucky to have him; Therrien is doing a fine job thus far managing his ice time however.

It's funny because the argument that Subban "deserves" more ice time is completely ignoring that fact that others players this year are just as, if not more equally deserving of said ice time.

Subban will have his time to shine.

HotPie is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:20 PM
  #632
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Pretty much. God forbid you question Subban's "legitimacy" as the undisputed #1D for the Habs currently for some people though.

He's a great talent, the Habs are incredibly lucky to have him; Therrien is doing a fine job thus far managing his ice time however.

It's funny because the argument that Subban "deserves" more ice time is completely ignoring that fact that others players this year are just as, if not more equally deserving of said ice time.

Subban will have his time to shine.
His time is now. He proved it last year.

He's more than capable of handling 25 mins a night and that's what he should be playing. Totally stupid that MT is not doing this.

MT's philosophy about no player being bigger than the team would carry a lot more weight if he included himself as part of the group. He's being pig headed here. PK is a bonafied number one and playing him this way makes absolutely no sense at all. Not good for his development, not good for us... wtf is MT doing this? Makes no sense at all.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:22 PM
  #633
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
His time is now. He proved it last year.

He's more than capable of handling 25 mins a night and that's what he should be playing. Totally stupid that MT is not doing this.
MT is spreading the time evenly so they can all have energy to finish this season and play as long as possible in the playoffs.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:22 PM
  #634
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
His time is now. He proved it last year.

He's more than capable of handling 25 mins a night and that's what he should be playing. Totally stupid that MT is not doing this.
I agree he should play a little more ES and PK but the reason he played those minutes last season was because the D was mediocre. It's a lot better now with Markov in, Diaz stepping up and Emelin looking better. We don't need to grind down Subban. He's gaining more minutes every game. Therrien balances his lines and duos. It's working great for the team. Eventually Markov is going to drop his minutes back and it'll be Subban taking the reigns.

No Team Needed is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:24 PM
  #635
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
MT is spreading the time evenly so they can all have energy to finish this season and play as long as possible in the playoffs.
If he plans on playing him 25 mins in the playoffs then he should play him 25 mins now. Suddenly upping his playing time isn't a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I agree he should play a little more ES and PK but the reason he played those minutes last season was because the D was mediocre. It's a lot better now with Markov in, Diaz stepping up and Emelin looking better. We don't need to grind down Subban. He's gaining more minutes every game. Therrien balances his lines and duos. It's working great for the team. Eventually Markov is going to drop his minutes back and it'll be Subban taking the reigns.
No reason not to do it now.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:25 PM
  #636
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If he plans on playing him 25 mins in the playoffs then he should play him 25 mins now. Suddenly upping his playing time isn't a good idea.


No reason not to do it now.
Thre is still a good 25 games to go. Lots of time to give more time to PK and less to Markov.

Don't worry.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:26 PM
  #637
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Thre is still a good 25 games to go. Lots of time to give more time to PK and less to Markov.

Don't worry.
I'm not worried... I'm annoyed. MT needs to smarten up with how he's handling this guy.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:27 PM
  #638
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm not worried... I'm annoyed. MT needs to smarten up with how he's handling this guy.
MT is a ****ing dummy... That is why they are leading the Eastern Conference.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:27 PM
  #639
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm not worried... I'm annoyed. MT needs to smarten up with how he's handling this guy.
Not really. He's handling him well. I thought he was handling him poorly as well until I realized Montreal is so hard to play because teams can't just focus on a single line or D combo.

No Team Needed is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  #640
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
MT is a ****ing dummy... That is why they are leading the Eastern Conference.
I didn't say he was a dummy, I said he's being dumb with this player. As for us leading the league... there's always room to improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Not really. He's handling him well. I thought he was handling him poorly as well until I realized Montreal is so hard to play because teams can't just focus on a single line or D combo.
Sitting your best blueliner and playing him on the 3rd line is not handling him well... it's dumb. No matter how you slice it, we're better playing Subban more.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:32 PM
  #641
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I didn't say he was a dummy, I said he's being dumb with this player. As for us leading the league... there's always room to improve.

Sitting your best blueliner and playing him on the 3rd line is not handling him well... it's dumb. No matter how you slice it, we're better playing Subban more.
Yeah. Room to improve... From dead last to top of the Conference.. Yeah...Sure... of course, but it's a darn good start up.

And check your stats. he is already the third most used d-man in the last 10 games.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:34 PM
  #642
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
The only player people can argue that is better than Subban is Markov. Nobody else on this team comes close. The way some of you guys talk about PK is like he isn't better than a #4.

icerocket is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 05:57 PM
  #643
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Yeah. Room to improve... From dead last to top of the Conference.. Yeah...Sure... of course, but it's a darn good start up.

And check your stats. he is already the third most used d-man in the last 10 games.
But he has 2 be first!!!11!!!

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 06:09 PM
  #644
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
His time is now. He proved it last year.

He's more than capable of handling 25 mins a night and that's what he should be playing. Totally stupid that MT is not doing this.

MT's philosophy about no player being bigger than the team would carry a lot more weight if he included himself as part of the group. He's being pig headed here. PK is a bonafied number one and playing him this way makes absolutely no sense at all. Not good for his development, not good for us... wtf is MT doing this? Makes no sense at all.
What I bolded made me laugh.

Therrien IS bigger than the team because he is their coach. Its his job. And Bergevin IS bigger than Therrien and the team because he is the GM. And so on and on.

That one was sort of a stretch, eh?

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 06:09 PM
  #645
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Hmmmmm...

How will you guys spin this one?

This is exactly what I've been saying about PK. IMO this is spot on. He is and will be a great player, how great? No one knows, but we shouldn't be crowning him with anything just yet.
Nobody ever said PK needs to be crowned with anything. Actually, I said it numerous times, PK needs to improve his decision making, which is all Cole said.

Some seem to believe that being 3sec short of the least used Dman at ES is the right way to go about improving this. I disagree. I think PK needs to play more to improve, not play less. After all, we're not talking about PK needing to improve his decisions on the PK or on the PP (he already improved his PP decisions). Most of it comes at ES, so use him more there.

It's also not bad to the point where his decisions are actually hurting us more so than helping us. Our team does better when PK is on the ice, rather than on the bench.
I'd like to emphasize on the word TEAM here. If PK kept making costly turnovers, then I wouldn't want him to play more.

We're not talking about an inexperienced rookie or sophomore that has trouble following the plays here. We're talking about a very special player that has already proven capable for handling top minutes versus top opponents.

Cole is also only speaking of his decision making, not attitude. Yet, PK's attitude has changed. He isn't the pest he was, which was an advantage, and I'm guessing this comes from management. Why? Well, they told him to stop the triple low five, so I'm guessing they want him to be less flashy, less outspoken, less spotlight. Not sure I agree with that.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 06:17 PM
  #646
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Nobody ever said PK needs to be crowned with anything. Actually, I said it numerous times, PK needs to improve his decision making, which is all Cole said.

Some seem to believe that being 3sec short of the least used Dman at ES is the right way to go about improving this. I disagree. I think PK needs to play more to improve, not play less. After all, we're not talking about PK needing to improve his decisions on the PK or on the PP (he already improved his PP decisions). Most of it comes at ES, so use him more there.

It's also not bad to the point where his decisions are actually hurting us more so than helping us. Our team does better when PK is on the ice, rather than on the bench.
I'd like to emphasize on the word TEAM here. If PK kept making costly turnovers, then I wouldn't want him to play more.

We're not talking about an inexperienced rookie or sophomore that has trouble following the plays here. We're talking about a very special player that has already proven capable for handling top minutes versus top opponents.

Cole is also only speaking of his decision making, not attitude. Yet, PK's attitude has changed. He isn't the pest he was, which was an advantage, and I'm guessing this comes from management. Why? Well, they told him to stop the triple low five, so I'm guessing they want him to be less flashy, less outspoken, less spotlight. Not sure I agree with that.
Is Subban having a great season this year?

If so, why the disagreement with what is expected of him?

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 06:27 PM
  #647
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Is Subban having a great season this year?

If so, why the disagreement with what is expected of him?
Because I think our team would be even better if he played more at ES, and on the PK.

We have a great scoring ration at ES, so if you don't want to change things I can abide even though there's still room to improve our production there.
But at least on the PK, where Subban excelled, and where we're just about average, he should play more.

It's not like PK would be having a worse season if he played more.
Markov is having a great season too, do you think he wouldn't be having a great season if he were averaging 2 minutes a game?

Kriss E is online now  
Old
03-02-2013, 06:39 PM
  #648
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Nobody ever said PK needs to be crowned with anything. Actually, I said it numerous times, PK needs to improve his decision making, which is all Cole said.

Some seem to believe that being 3sec short of the least used Dman at ES is the right way to go about improving this. I disagree. I think PK needs to play more to improve, not play less. After all, we're not talking about PK needing to improve his decisions on the PK or on the PP (he already improved his PP decisions). Most of it comes at ES, so use him more there.

It's also not bad to the point where his decisions are actually hurting us more so than helping us. Our team does better when PK is on the ice, rather than on the bench.
I'd like to emphasize on the word TEAM here. If PK kept making costly turnovers, then I wouldn't want him to play more.

We're not talking about an inexperienced rookie or sophomore that has trouble following the plays here. We're talking about a very special player that has already proven capable for handling top minutes versus top opponents.

Cole is also only speaking of his decision making, not attitude. Yet, PK's attitude has changed. He isn't the pest he was, which was an advantage, and I'm guessing this comes from management. Why? Well, they told him to stop the triple low five, so I'm guessing they want him to be less flashy, less outspoken, less spotlight. Not sure I agree with that.
when you barely have anyone to protect you, being a pest isnt an advantage, au contraire, last thing we want is our guys being ran over or beat up. When you have a team like ours who rely on "team toughness" over having a goon or two plus other guys who can play a "tough game" taking the role of a pest is stupid at best.


Last edited by ECWHSWI: 03-02-2013 at 06:46 PM.
ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
  #649
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because I think our team would be even better if he played more at ES, and on the PK.

We have a great scoring ration at ES, so if you don't want to change things I can abide even though there's still room to improve our production there.
But at least on the PK, where Subban excelled, and where we're just about average, he should play more.

It's not like PK would be having a worse season if he played more.
Markov is having a great season too, do you think he wouldn't be having a great season if he were averaging 2 minutes a game?
You make valid points.

If the Habs start losing more games, and its due to the penalty killing, I would hope that Therrien would make adjustments.

And if he doesnt, then I would be vocal as well. Until then, I am not going to complain (I know, you dont call it that ) while we are doing well.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 06:50 PM
  #650
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
when you barely have anyone to protect you, being a pest isnt an advantage, au contraire, last thing we want is our guys Habs players being ran over or beat up. When you have a team like ours who rely on "team toughness" over having a goon or two plus other guys who can play a "tough game" taking the role of a pest is stupid at best.
Well, that didn't stop Toronto from trying to decapitate everyone of our guys at every opportunity, and he wasn't the reason why Boston put a beatdown on guys like Pyatt, Spacek and Hammer.

Why I think it's a good thing for PK to be a pest is that not only did he get under opponents's skin by yapping away at them, but unlike your typical pest, he is extremely gifted, so the guys had a very tough time catching him and he has a very good ability to roll off incoming opponents to nullify their hits. So he got even more annoying than just your regular pest.

I will agree on one thing, not being a pest attracts less attention. But I think he did a very good job at getting under the opposition's skin in previous years, and we had less guys that could back him up.

Not saying he needs to go back to those ways, but I wouldn't mind if he did. Always fun to watch the opposition get frustrated.

Kriss E is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.