HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part L |All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 04:58 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

vCash: 500
did miller just chirp henrique?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
03-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Ribeiro is a fantastic hockey player and every team that's lost out on him has regretted it. Washington got him for cheap and whoever signs him will be lucky to have him. A consistent 60pt+ centre in the NHL, offensive vision second-to-none, Montrealer... and most of our idiot fanbase still say that he's a chump or he's classless or that he's a cancer.
Well to be fair, he is a chump. But his antics piss off whoever plays against him, which combined with his skill, is part of the charm. I know a lot of Habs fans hated him for his diving...but not nearly as much as the opposing team did. And when I say Kadri reminds me of Ribs, I sadly mean in a good way. Kadri is a punk and a ridiculously skilled playmaker.

I could care less how much coke Ribeiro did in his personal life, trading him, especially for nothing, was a mistake.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:05 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well to be fair, he is a chump. But his antics piss off whoever plays against him, which combined with his skill, is part of the charm. I know a lot of Habs fans hated him for his diving...but not nearly as much as the opposing team did. And when I say Kadri reminds me of Ribs, I sadly mean in a good way. Kadri is a punk and a ridiculously skilled playmaker.

I could care less how much coke Ribeiro did in his personal life, trading him, especially for nothing, was a mistake.
He was my neighbour growing up. Totally cool dude, really friendly and loved his kids. The rumours were absurd - yes he's a bit of a wigger, and he probably partied a lot but it really wasn't like he was a bad guy who didn't care or anything AT ALL.

You want someone who didn't care? The Kostitsyns. The stories of them at clubs in Montreal are awful.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:

How many very ggod and skilled players did the Habs lost over the years because of dubious behaviors OFF the ice ? Hopefully they gonna take better care of their young players from now on.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
How many very ggod and skilled players did the Habs lost over the years because of dubious behaviors OFF the ice ? Hopefully they gonna take better care of their young players from now on.
Hopefully we don't get another self-interesting out-of-touch lunatic like Bob Gainey.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Habtchum*

The Bruins are now at the top of our division and the conference....

Old
03-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Et le But

Quote:
He was my neighbour growing up. Totally cool dude, really friendly and loved his kids. The rumours were absurd - yes he's a bit of a wigger, and he probably partied a lot but it really wasn't like he was a bad guy who didn't care or anything AT ALL.

You want someone who didn't care? The Kostitsyns. The stories of them at clubs in Montreal are awful.
Well, you would know better than me, but I do get the vibe Ribeiro's reputation was more based on the fact that he seemed kinda dumb and tried to hard to be cool than anything else.

Regarding the Kostitsyns, drafting both of them was such a horrible idea. Belarusian spoiled rich kids, their worst influence was each other. AK's best stretch as a Hab was when he had nobody to hang out with.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:21 PM
habtastic

Only thing that bothered me about the Ribs trade (and I really liked him when he was here, had him on my jersey, etc.) was the return. He is still a punk, but more of a matured one. I think Lappy was perfect in his role and perhaps that's the level that Ribs has now (with some added arrogance), but it's under control. The dressing room for the Habs at the time was a mess and sometimes, that's just the case. It's hard to evaluate Ribeiro's hypothetical play today without considering the circumstances that led to his departure. It was pretty much all cliques and he was not helping.

We talk about the character of today's Habs, yet are willing to overlook someone who I still do not see upholding that attitude. He's come a long way, for sure, but I'm not convinced his chemistry within the team, in Montreal (we all know Montreal boys react different to playing for the Habs) would be helpful. He's extremely talented, that's for sure, but that's what time can sometimes do for you and guys like Eller and those in the "cupboard" are going to have a huge positive impact on our team while bringing the character. We just need to be patient. Again, I'd still rather have Koivu today for a playoff run than any ex-Hab purely due to the way he's playing and what he could bring to a 3rd/4th line (the way MT rolls them, they are basically two bottom lines).

Old
03-02-2013, 05:26 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Well, you would know better than me, but I do get the vibe Ribeiro's reputation was more based on the fact that he seemed kinda dumb and tried to hard to be cool than anything else.
That's pretty much it regarding Ribeiro, he's a bit of a goof.

Regarding the cliques: The dressing room being a mess of cliques is as much the individual players faults as it was the leadership group and the coaches. Koivu just didn't seem to be able to hold the team together and we fell apart in a bunch of games because they just didn't come to play. Coaches changed but the team was still floating every third or fourth game - as much of a warrior he was, he wasn't doing his duties. Kovalev and Koivu had to go the time they did because that last season was a disaster and it was partly because the lockerrooom was so bad.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Regarding the cliques: The dressing room being a mess of cliques is as much the individual players faults as it was the leadership group and the coaches. Koivu just didn't seem to be able to hold the team together and we fell apart in a bunch of games because they just didn't come to play. Coaches changed but the team was still floating every third or fourth game - as much of a warrior he was, he wasn't doing his duties. Kovalev and Koivu had to go the time they did because that last season was a disaster and it was partly because the lockerrooom was so bad.
Well, I disagree about Koivu since the team was being liquidated anyway, and all the players who had any problem with him were either gone or going by then. Instead we forced chemistry by bringing in the three smurfketeers and well...hey, it worked for a year at least.

The team was admittedly a mess when it was blown up, but I would still say the fault lies with Gainey (who should have stepped down long before he did) and Carbo. Not that Koivu is blameless, but when a team turns a blind eye to all the partying and then expects it to change overnight, good luck.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Only thing that bothered me about the Ribs trade (and I really liked him when he was here, had him on my jersey, etc.) was the return. He is still a punk, but more of a matured one. I think Lappy was perfect in his role and perhaps that's the level that Ribs has now (with some added arrogance), but it's under control. The dressing room for the Habs at the time was a mess and sometimes, that's just the case. It's hard to evaluate Ribeiro's hypothetical play today without considering the circumstances that led to his departure. It was pretty much all cliques and he was not helping.

We talk about the character of today's Habs, yet are willing to overlook someone who I still do not see upholding that attitude. He's come a long way, for sure, but I'm not convinced his chemistry within the team, in Montreal (we all know Montreal boys react different to playing for the Habs) would be helpful. He's extremely talented, that's for sure, but that's what time can sometimes do for you and guys like Eller and those in the "cupboard" are going to have a huge positive impact on our team while bringing the character. We just need to be patient. Again, I'd still rather have Koivu today for a playoff run than any ex-Hab purely due to the way he's playing and what he could bring to a 3rd/4th line (the way MT rolls them, they are basically two bottom lines).
Eller could be good...but never as good as Ribeiro.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Eller could be good...but never as good as Ribeiro.
Apples could be good...but never as good as oranges.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Having a lot of friends in the jetset/nightlife of Mtl for so many years, and still counting, I can tell you, the stories of the Kostitsyn broz are no worse than the ones of other players that were/are loved.

Ribs parties just as much as those guys. Even Koivu had his moments, and prickish ways.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:37 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

People say that Koivu and Kovalev had to go like it was some wise management decision.

The facts are Koivu is the one who wanted to leave, and Kovalev was offered a contract but chose to go to Ottawa.

Would have been better than Gomez+Gionta.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Having a lot of friends in the jetset/nightlife of Mtl for so many years, and still counting, I can tell you, the stories of the Kostitsyn broz are no worse than the ones of other players that were/are loved.

Ribs parties just as much as those guys. Even Koivu had his moments, and prickish ways.
The Kostitsyn bros had their minds elsewhere, but I think they stood out more because of who they were partying with more than what they did.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:40 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

Are you actually criticizing the Kostitsyns for having been hard partiers?

Old
03-02-2013, 05:41 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
People say that Koivu and Kovalev had to go like it was some wise management decision.

The facts are Koivu is the one who wanted to leave, and Kovalev was offered a contract but chose to go to Ottawa.

Would have been better than Gomez+Gionta.
Pretty sure Koivu was quoted as saying that had he been offered a contract, he would have signed. He never got an offer to stay.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:45 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Are you actually criticizing the Kostitsyns for having been hard partiers?

No, I'm not judging or criticizing anyone. It's just that most people think Ribeiro is some sort of slag who dives and doesn't show up to play but still think that AKost can "turn it around" and be a regular 20g20a guy. The disparity is frustrating... to me anyway, having known Ribeiro to be wholly unlike his public image.

It's just annoying to remember the great youth we amassed over the years figuratively bleed out of the organization because the GM and coaches and captains had no control or discipline. It was a total mess.

I guess... they needed the watchful GOATier earlier

Old
03-02-2013, 05:45 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pretty sure Koivu was quoted as saying that had he been offered a contract, he would have signed. He never got an offer to stay.
My understanding is that it was a cover story, so he could move on without being accused of being a traitor by the local fanbase.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Why didn't he crash the net or make a pass, he wasn't going to beat Rask with that shot anyways.

Especially with Khudobin in net.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
No, I'm not judging or criticizing anyone. It's just that most people think Ribeiro is some sort of slag who dives and doesn't show up to play but still think that AKost can "turn it around" and be a regular 20g20a guy. The disparity is frustrating... to me anyway, having known Ribeiro to be wholly unlike his public image.

It's just annoying to remember the great youth we amassed over the years figuratively bleed out of the organization because the GM and coaches and captains had no control or discipline. It was a total mess.

I guess... they needed the watchful GOATier earlier
I go with the simpler hypothesis here:

1) They wanted to move forward with Plekanec as their 2nd line center.
2) Gainey really did have a misleading scouting report on Jan Minimum.

AK doesn't need to "turn it around" to be a 20-20 guy, that's what he was the entire time he was here.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
My understanding is that it was a cover story, so he could move on without being accused of being a traitor by the local fanbase.
How did you come to this understanding?

Old
03-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Just saw that Bruins game winner. **** the Lightning. So ****ing tired of hearing about that team like it's sort some of powerhouse.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:53 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

Ribeiro himself said before the season that he's been dealing with personal demons for the last few years.

waffledave
Old
03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Ribeiro himself said before the season that he's been dealing with personal demons for the last few years.
Recently he had some major issues with his wife. It likely wasn't an issue prior to two or so years ago.

Closed Thread