Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Race for the playoffs

Old
02-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Snippit

vCash: 500
Race for the playoffs

The battle for the last few playoff spots always interests me. In the West, it's over. Erie are obviously done, and Windsor is 11 points back with 9 games to go. The 8 teams are all basically playoff bound.

In the East, it is very different. The top 5 are playoff bound. Ottawa is out of the picture. 6 to 9 are very close. Niagara at 56 (59 played), Missy at 55 (58 played), Kingston at 51 (56 played), Peterborough at 49 (58 played).

Peterborough is the hottest team out of these 4. What makes it more interesting is that Peterborough have gotten good results against Belleville this season. If they can sneak into the 8th spot, they could give them a run for their money.

Fronts 7th, Steelheads 8th, Petes 9th.

Last edited by Snippit: 03-17-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
The battle for the last few playoff spots always interests me. In the West, it's over. Erie are obviously done, and Windsor is 11 points back with 9 games to go. The 8 teams are all basically playoff bound.

In the East, it is very different. The top 5 are playoff bound. Ottawa is out of the picture. 6 to 9 are very close. Niagara at 56 (59 played), Missy at 55 (58 played), Kingston at 51 (56 played), Peterborough at 49 (58 played).

Peterborough is the hottest team out of these 4. What makes it more interesting is that Peterborough have gotten good results against Belleville this season. If they can sneak into the 8th spot, they could give them a run for their money.

Any thoughts?
Yea I love this part of the year in ohl hockey. Can't wait to see who will play who. As for the east, if the Pete's make it in, that could be a fun series. I will always remember how Sudbury knocked out Ottawa in 2011.

I follow the west a lot more closely and I also think that the potential 8th seed Saginaw would give London a good matchup. (not saying they will win, just could be an entertaining series) There is still fighting for position between Owen sound, Kitchener, Guelph, and the soo. I hope to see a Kitchener - Guelph first round matchup.

Cfriss216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:59 AM
NHL Fanatic

Playoff hockey is very exciting, throw all regular season stats out the window. Big time players show in the big time moments. I see upsets on the horizon.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:14 AM
BigBuck

The Pete's were down 3-1 to Ottawa last night and scored 2 short handed goals to tie it and then won it in a shoot out. Team of destiny? They are only 2 points back of Kingston now and these 2 teams still have to play each other twice coming down the stretch. Should be a tight race for the last spot in the East.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:58 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
The Pete's were down 3-1 to Ottawa last night and scored 2 short handed goals to tie it and then won it in a shoot out. Team of destiny? They are only 2 points back of Kingston now and these 2 teams still have to play each other twice coming down the stretch. Should be a tight race for the last spot in the East.
Was quite the game last night! Hopefully the boys can keep it going and catch Kingston!

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
MisterDB

it wouldn't surprise me to see both the Pets and Kingston make it. The Steelheads have a less than an ideal schedule and could very well play themselves out of a spot. They meet Kingston and Peterborough 1 game each, both of these are away games for Mississauga

MisterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:58 PM
chewerjones

Petes on a roll and I hope they make it for the town, and future of Petes Hockey.

They will forego a better draft pick, but at the end of the day, the goal is to make the playoffs, for any team. Confidence breeds success.

I think it will be either Kingston or Missy out of the playoffs, and their head to head game might be the deciding factor.

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:37 PM
BigBuck

Kingston downs the Bulls 3-1 and move into tie for 7th with Misssy who lost, Pete's lose at Sudbury and fall 4 points behind them. Should an interesting end to the season.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Snippit

I also have found myself cheering for the Petes. I think I just want to see them do well after years of misery. Still, they have their work cut out for them.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:13 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
I also have found myself cheering for the Petes. I think I just want to see them do well after years of misery. Still, they have their work cut out for them.
The Petes have 6 games left. Kingston and Mississauga have 2 games in hand, leaving them 8 games to be played. The Petes only shot at getting in is to try to win all 6 games. They play Kingston twice. Win both of those and it looks better. Kingston plays Mississauga once, as do the Petes. If the Petes can beat both of those teams, they are halfway there. I am pulling for the Petes to make it exciting. The interesting thing is that Kingston, Mississauga and the Petes all play Ottawa. Ottawa won't be in the playoffs, but they could decide who is and who is not. Kingston' plays Oshawa twice, with the first game tonight. If Kingston loses both of those games then I predict it goes down to the night of March 17. Mississauga plays 4 tough games against Owen Sound, Plymouth, Belleville and Brampton combined with games against the Petes, Kingston, Niagara and Ottawa. Should be pretty exciting to watch this unfold over the next 2 weeks.

WhalerBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:23 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
The Petes have 6 games left. Kingston and Mississauga have 2 games in hand, leaving them 8 games to be played. The Petes only shot at getting in is to try to win all 6 games. They play Kingston twice. Win both of those and it looks better. Kingston plays Mississauga once, as do the Petes. If the Petes can beat both of those teams, they are halfway there. I am pulling for the Petes to make it exciting. The interesting thing is that Kingston, Mississauga and the Petes all play Ottawa. Ottawa won't be in the playoffs, but they could decide who is and who is not. Kingston' plays Oshawa twice, with the first game tonight. If Kingston loses both of those games then I predict it goes down to the night of March 17. Mississauga plays 4 tough games against Owen Sound, Plymouth, Belleville and Brampton combined with games against the Petes, Kingston, Niagara and Ottawa. Should be pretty exciting to watch this unfold over the next 2 weeks.
I think it's going to come down to a 1 game playoff between Missy and Petes.
Petes picking up 2 points against
Kingston(split the 2 and 2), Missy and Ottawa.
Missy only winning one more game and that will be against Niagara.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Snippit

Let's have a closer look:

---

6th Place - Niagara - 7GR - 58 POINTS
7th Place - Kingston - 8 GR - 55 POINTS
8th Place - MISSY - 8 GR - 55 POINTS
9th Place - Peterborough - 6 GR - 51 POINTS

Niagara's Last 7 Games: Home - Missy, Windsor, Barrie, Brampton. Away - Sudbury, Barrie, Belleville. Need 6 points (Peterborough points lost, Niagara points gained) to clinch playoffs. Seems like the hardest schedule, but they're almost there.

Kingston's Last 8 Games: Home - Oshawa, Missy, Belleville, Peterborough, Ottawa. Away - Barrie, Peterborough, Oshawa. Need 9 points (Peterborough points lost, Kingston points gained) to clinch playoffs. 2 games against Peterborough will be big.

Mississauga's Last 8 Games: Home - Plymouth, Belleville. Away - OS, Niagara, Brampton, Kingston, Peterborough, Ottawa. Need 9 points (Peterborough points lost, Kingston points gained) to clinch the playoffs.

Peterborough's Last 6 Games: Home - Kingston, Ottawa, Mississauga. Away - SSM, Brampton, Kingston. These are all winnable games, but they need to beat the right teams.

I'll update this at it goes.
-----

Old
03-02-2013, 07:19 PM
defensehockey19

Missy plays Owen Sound tonight at 7:30.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:42 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Missy plays Owen Sound tonight at 7:30.
Not pretty for Mississauga.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:48 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
Not pretty for Mississauga.
6-1 OwenSound.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Snippit

Updated the playoff race in the East in the OP.

Other things worth noting:

London needs 1 point, or have OS drop 1 point, to clinch the Western Conference. They need 5 points to clinch first overall.

Plymouth needs 4 points to clinch their division. Barrie has already clinched the Central. Belleville needs 5 points to clinch East.

MidWest Division: London needs 1 point
West: Plymouth needs 4 points
Central: Barrie clinches it.
East: Belleville needs 5 points.

Oshawa can only finish in the top two if they pass Belleville. That looks very unlikely. Here's what we almost certainly know.

Eastern Conference:

1- Belleville
2- Barrie (as divisional winner)
3- Oshawa
4- Brampton/Sudbury
5- Brampton/Sudbury
6-
7-
8-
9-
10- Ottawa 67s

Western Conference:

1- London Knights
2- Plymouth Whalers
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8- Saginaw
9- Windsor Spitfires
10- Erie Otters

Barring any insane collapses, this is probably what we know so far.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:08 AM
WhalerBlue

4 BIG games today for the 6th through 9th in the East. Petes vs Soo, Kingston vs Oshawa, Windsor vs Niagara and Plymouth vs Mississauga. As mentioned before, the Petes must win to have a chance for 8th. As they say "GO Petes GO!" or "Oh no Petes, were going home".

Old
03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
defensehockey19

Missy losing to Plymouth 3-0 after 2.

Oshawa leads Kingston 2-1 2 minutes left in period 2.

Big game for the Petes tonight. Soo will be without Nick Cousins.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
WhalerBlue

Niagara wins, Mississauga loses and Kingston loses. Go Petes!

Old
03-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Snippit

Updated OP. Niagara has separated themselves from the bottom pack, and an Oshawa vs Niagara first round matchup is very likely. Mississauga has lost their 5th straight game, and they have no more games in hand on Peterborough. Kingston loses as well.

Peterborough just needs to better Mississauga's record by 2 wins in the final 6 games, It starts tonight against a good SSM team.

Oshawa has clinched at least third place. London Knights have clinched the Western Conference. Plymouth 1 point away from locking up the West Division.

OS has a 3 point cushion on Kitchener now, and Guelph is creeping up as well (3 points behind, 1 game in hand). Saginaw is 2 points away from clinching the last playoff spot.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:42 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Updated OP. Niagara has separated themselves from the bottom pack, and an Oshawa vs Niagara first round matchup is very likely. Mississauga has lost their 5th straight game, and they have no more games in hand on Peterborough. Kingston loses as well.

Peterborough just needs to better Mississauga's record by 2 wins in the final 6 games, It starts tonight against a good SSM team.

Oshawa has clinched at least third place. London Knights have clinched the Western Conference. Plymouth 1 point away from locking up the West Division.

OS has a 3 point cushion on Kitchener now, and Guelph is creeping up as well (3 points behind, 1 game in hand). Saginaw is 2 points away from clinching the last playoff spot.
No score after 1 in Petes game.
Mathers fought which means he will be suspended 2 games.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
No score after 1 in Petes game.
Mathers fought which means he will be suspended 2 games.
3-0 Soo. 2 to go in 2nd. Steep hill to climb for the Petes. Mathers penalties were ill advised. Edit*4-0 Soo wins. Things just got real difficult for the Petes

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 03-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 09:56 PM
BigBuck

Petes ,Missy and Fronts all lose. Kingston at Peterborough on Thursday is a must win for the Petes and their captain Mathers will not be in the line up because of the new 10 fight rule.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Snippit

Petes got the help they needed today, but couldn't produce. The two games against Kingston are must-wins, and even then they'll still need results from other games.

I'm thinking the Petes need at least 4 out of 5, and even then, it won't be for sure.

EDIT: Niagara makes the playoffs today. So they can be taken out of this race. They're 5 points behind Sudbury as of today. With 5 games remaining, any chance they might catch them?

Old
03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
BigBuck

I just saw that Peterborough's Captain Mathers is suspended for the next 4 games because he was the instigator in his 11th fight (New 10 fight rule). They only have 5 games remaining to capture 8th spot.