Seguin; will the Media pounce?

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 05:41 PM
spokedB

vCash: 500
Don't read the Globe for hockey news

Precisely because of KPD.

He used to be a fairly knowledgable hockey writer. Now, he reminds me a bit of the bunch on hate radio who think they know politics.

Maybe he should buy a case of Dewars and go fishing with Harry in the NWT.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:45 PM
C77

Seguin is starting to control the play around him instead of reacting to other players on the ice. I think he's going to start tearing it up soon.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:15 PM
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Eventually. I think mostly because of output versus $$$$.
I think you're spot on GWs. I can't help but gush when I watch the kid. He has so much talent, the chances are coming but the great thing to see is him listening to Julien and others and adapting his game.

RE: 'journalists' - can't say I've ever been a fan of Murph. Haggs was a quick blip.

KPD, while I know many aren't enamored with him, still is capable of a really solid piece. I don't think his hockey knowledge has been suppressed but journalism, as a whole, is very different now. Perhaps Dupont is being told to write more of these fluff, rumor-monger-esque pieces because that's his job: to generate hits by any means necessary. How many of you still by the Globe vs. online? This is how he, and others, make their living because they have to.

I'm not close with Kevin, I've had some exchanges with him over the years, but I know enough about him to know he isn't a complete dip****.

I think he's had to adapt his style to keep his name in the papers or some other kid would take his place. Just my two-cent post that has seemingly turned into a rant.

Anyways: Mr. Seguin, I've appreciated your efforts and think you'll only get better.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Open Ice

The game didn't pass KPD by, the media did. Is there even such a thing as "sports journalism" any more? KPD is just another opinion maker/nonsense generator. I actually don't mind his view point, but I'm not going to pay to read it.

I'm not worried about Seguin. He's having to retrain his brain for smaller surfaces and defensive minded hockey. He's a big time talent. He'll be fine.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:03 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
The game didn't pass KPD by, the media did. Is there even such a thing as "sports journalism" any more? KPD is just another opinion maker/nonsense generator. I actually don't mind his view point, but I'm not going to pay to read it.

I'm not worried about Seguin. He's having to retrain his brain for smaller surfaces and defensive minded hockey. He's a big time talent. He'll be fine.

No. That is why and how Joe Haggerty was able to run Tim Thomas out of town.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Ogrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
Wow. Journalism is obviously in a crisis but Haggerty ran Thomas out of Boston?
I'd rather respect Thomas for his decision to focus on his family after spending a whole lot of time away from it and getting us a cup.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:24 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
"Haggerty" and "run" have no business being in the same sentence together ...

Thomas is where he is because he made a choice ... "Haggs" does not have the power to make guys forego millions in salary. And Thomas doesn't strike me as the type to give a flying **** about what anyone thinks about him ... He'd be the last guy to let a member of the media dictate his path and future.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:27 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrim View Post
Wow. Journalism is obviously in a crisis but Haggerty ran Thomas out of Boston?
I'd rather respect Thomas for his decision to focus on his family after spending a whole lot of time away from it and getting us a cup.
It's more of an expression. Haggarty would just not leave Tim alone after his decision not to join the team at the White House.. like it was borderline obsessive. Harsh tweet after harsh tweet.. countless articles..

The guy took it personally for some stupid reason. The ironic thing was that he kept saying it was a distraction to the team.. WELL NO ****. YOU AND THE REST OF THE BOSTON MEDIA KEPT HARPING ON IT.

/rant

Old
03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I grew up reading KPD, so there's always a little bit of a soft spot there for nostalgia's sake. However, I haven't been a fan of his work for the past few years...when I stop to think about it, a lot of it has to do with his twitter persona. Too much of a ****-stirrer and "get off my lawn" for my taste.

That said...dude has had quite the career in this town and I'm absolutely shocked by the number of people who repeatedly refer to him as "KDP"...enough times that it's clearly not a one-time typo. You don't have to like the guy, but that reeks of having absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:59 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I grew up reading KPD, so there's always a little bit of a soft spot there for nostalgia's sake. However, I haven't been a fan of his work for the past few years...when I stop to think about it, a lot of it has to do with his twitter persona. Too much of a ****-stirrer and "get off my lawn" for my taste.

That said...dude has had quite the career in this town and I'm absolutely shocked by the number of people who repeatedly refer to him as "KDP"...enough times that it's clearly not a one-time typo. You don't have to like the guy, but that reeks of having absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
But... Kevin DuPont...?

Old
03-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
But... Kevin DuPont...?
Really?

Kevin Paul DuPont. I've always referred to him as KPD, and seen him/conversed about him referred to as KPD because that's what he writes under. Never even occurred to me to look at it that way. I still think it's wixing mords, but that's just me.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:25 PM
dtam83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBruin91 View Post
I am sick and tired of this more or less AT&T commercial
admittedly the other ones were clever but this commercial just sucks and I wish someone would shut that girl up

Old
03-02-2013, 10:01 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Really?

Kevin Paul DuPont. I've always referred to him as KPD, and seen him/conversed about him referred to as KPD because that's what he writes under. Never even occurred to me to look at it that way. I still think it's wixing mords, but that's just me.
lol. I had no idea his middle name was Paul so I was definitely one of the ones saying "KDP" thinking it was 'D' and 'P' in his last name.

In the end I don't really care too much. I don't like the guy /shrug

Old
03-02-2013, 10:04 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
If Seguin continues to play like he has so far this season, do you think the Boston Media will set their sights on this guy?

If you follow Twitter, Kevin Dupont, it would appear, is not much of a fan.

Will this guy start to get drummed in Boston? Justifiable, or not?

Thoughts.......
I've liked what I have seen of Seguin the past few weeks....don't have twitter but if that is true I have to say one word- pathetic.

Seguin is a pretty exciting player right now. If KDP really said that, my suggestion to him and others is to stop spending so much time worrying about twittter and what can you type that is worthy.

I find this hard to believe

Old
03-02-2013, 10:06 PM
mikelvl

Does every Seguin thread eventually turn into a KDP/KPD thread???

Old
03-02-2013, 10:08 PM
mikelvl

BTW, what did Haggs' wife say when she first saw the Seguin full body tattoo on Haggs' back?

Old
03-02-2013, 10:12 PM
SpeedyLazaro

DuPont is a journalist that can actually write a piece. Haggs is a social media teeny bopper that can only write a piece under 140 characters

Old
03-02-2013, 10:19 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

EDIT: read incorrectly

Old
03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
nifty988

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyLazaro View Post
DuPont is a journalist that can actually write a piece. Haggs is a social media teeny bopper that can only write a piece under 140 characters
Exactly. Dupont is worth the time I spend reading his column strictly because he is informative and entertaining. I don't always (often) agree with him but he can turn a phrase and he makes me think. Haggs, on the other hand, is a hack who I think regurgitates what he reads on these boards or hears from his "sources". Murphy is even worse because it seems like he often makes stuff up and credits his "sources" which are almost always completely baseless and usually 100% dead wrong.

I'll live with KPD until someone better comes along. But, seeing as Dan Duquette's kid has a regular job reporting on what Frank from Braintree thinks, I ain't holding my breath.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
ranold26
The real Gahden

This thread is a joke.
KPD has more integrity and substance coming his pen than most of our TMZ-like blahgers DO COMBINED.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:39 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Eventually. I think mostly because of output versus $$$$.
Exactly. Once this entry level deal expires the gloves will be off.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:41 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I think KPD and Haggs are both very good at what they do. I know both are huge Bruins fans.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Son of Donegal

Ah ***** it.

Whether you agree with KPD or not, he writes thought provoking stuff...even if he is way off point. The reality is that Hockey in the US does not get the same focus as Baseball and football. And KPD brings a classic sports journalist approach to his work. I appreciate it. Otherwise, Hockey becomes stat lines and that's that. KPD is passionate about the game and has some very strong views on the future of hockey. And while I disagree with him on fighting, I am not sure he is out of touch on the subject. With the rise in concussions/head injuries in the past several years, at some point we may see the game change...whether we like it or not...and to be frank, I am not sure I would complain if it meant a faster, more fluid game.

As for Seguin, I love the kid and I see him developing into an elite game changing forward at some point, but as good as he has been, he still has a long way to go. There is nothing wrong with how he has developed. It's endearing that we were able to watch him adjust him game after his time in Switzerland. And if anything, it makes you appreciate him going to the net harder and spending more time in the corners this season after spending months in a pure european league.

Seguin's best years are still way in the future. The Bruins thrive on veteran play. We will see a 100pt season from Seguin, but it might take a few years to get there!

KPD...can we get your point of view?

Old
03-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BW View Post
I don't get why people are down on the kid. Plays on a defense first team. They make him play defense first so he was 2nd in the league in +/- last year and sits in 2nd right now. If Stamkos were on this team he would be a 40 goal scorer, tops--because the power play sucks and he would not be allowed to leave the defensive zone early.

This is the same BS I see with people criticizing Dougie's play. "Rookie mistake here, rookie mistake there, kid needs to bear down and fight through players holding his stick to prevent a goal." All of this BS while Ference and McQuaid play horribly every game and no one talks about it. Dougie is easily the 4th best Dman every night and usually better than Boychuck too.

Back to Seguin, if he stays in Boston on a D first team, look for his numbers to parallel someone like Mike Modano. Forced to be a D-first center so his individual numbers suffered (only 50 goals once) but the team benefited. With his improved 1:1 play, I would expect his shift back to center to come before the start of next year and numbers to improve with the space available to a center in open ice. But they won't be Stamkos numbers so there will continue to be haters.
Outstanding post.

KPD doesn't like, nor do I think he understands system hockey, or Julien for that matter. You either get it, or you don't. I'll be forthright in saying that it took me a while to "buy in". There's still things I'm not in love w/ regarding the "system". Depth over individual talent is hard for some to accept as well.

I'll add that Seguin doesn't have the benefit of playing w/ MSL, either. Stamkos is setup for success in regard to stats. Winning consistently? Apparently not.

Closed Thread