HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All-Purpose Carey Price Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 08:59 PM
shawnt*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
The team was pretty bad tonight. Price wasn't great, but he was hardly the reason we lost. He still hasn't stolen a game though.
The craziest post I have ever read at HF. Score 6, goalie lets in 7 and Price wasn't the reason we lost? I hope that's sarcasm.

shawnt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:00 PM
thewindowwasher

I am a big fan of price, but he just wasnt in it after the weird bounce off of emelin's skate. I think MT should have pull him though, he had an off night, and you have to just get him out of there and let him forget about it.

thewindowwasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:01 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
Bad game tonight bad game against T Bay bad one against TO bad is bad and unfortunatly there have been some REALLY bad ones moreso than really GOOD ones.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Find some examples in the past 30 years of a goalie landing his team "some amazing player".
I assume you don't want to admit that Price would have gotten us a better return that Halak back then. I think you are wrong.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
why not give him a season or two before sharpening and brandishing the pitch forks?
I'm actually going to give him way more than that based on the fact that it does take goalies longer to develop. I'm just not in the camp of people who thinks he's ALREADY franchise. I think he's a very good goalie with PROJECTIONS of being a great one and maybe a franchise one. But in this NHL, to be franchise and great, you need to be great in all areas. He still needs to work on his glove side. He still needs to work on his shootout skills. He still needs to stop overcommitting. He can work on that, he's still young for a goalie. But I personnally believe he's not there yet contrary to everybody else who already sees him being the #1 for Canada. To which I respond that he might very well be....but mostly due to a rather ordinairy pool of canadian goalies.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
lol, 1 stinker = not elite.

I guess no goaltender in the history of life should be considered elite. I mean, even the mighty Patrick Roy once allowed 9 goals.
Luongo has countless bad games and a recent 8 spot, yet the world still thinks he is top goalie.

Quick has given up 5 this year, Brodeur has spotted a couple 5 goal games.

Rinne put up a 5 goal game.

These things happen. People need to stop micro analyzing every game and realize its every goalie who has a game or two like this already this year.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
This great "tied for first in the east" syndrom. Don't look....but Philly who has been a joke this year is 7 points behind us in 8th place. I just love when people use this "we're 1st" as if we are 30 points ahead of everybody....

We've been pretty good. Price has been pretty good so far. But tonight he was incredibly bad. Yet...we can't say that unless we're going to be told...."but he was great before"....Yes he was...but he was bad tonight! Geez just accept it....
I said he had a ****** game didn't I? He was not good tonight but I'm not going to throw him under the bus.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Dharvey33

You score 6 and you lose, yes the goalie is the reason you lost his job is to stop the freakin puck tonight Price was garbage and have been mediocre in the last 4 games put Budaj tomorrow even if we lose.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Bad game tonight bad game against T Bay bad one against TO bad is bad and unfortunatly there have been some REALLY bad ones moreso than really GOOD ones.
my god. a guy who went into the night with a sub 2 GAA, has had more really bad games then really good ones. clueless is clueless

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I said he had a ****** game didn't I? He was not good tonight but I'm not going to throw him under the bus.
And I keep repeating that he's a very good goalie that was very bad tonight....So how's that a ****** analysis???? He has to work on his glove...how's that not a reality? Does it make him a André Racicot clone? Obviously no and I'd love to see where I said that.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
This great "tied for first in the east" syndrom. Don't look....but Philly who has been a joke this year is 7 points behind us in 8th place. I just love when people use this "we're 1st" as if we are 30 points ahead of everybody....

We've been pretty good. Price has been pretty good so far. But tonight he was incredibly bad. Yet...we can't say that unless we're going to be told...."but he was great before"....Yes he was...but he was bad tonight! Geez just accept it....
Nobody's arguing that Price wasn't bad tonight. There are quite a few people in this thread, though, who were nowhere to be found up to this point in the season when Price had a 1.90 GAA and .924 save percentage; this game happens, and boom! Here they are to harp on and on about how Price is a piece of garbage who should be traded for scraps, Halak shouldn't have been traded, etc. Of course, they do so in very broken English...

If Carey Price's name was Charles-Antoine Proulx, he wouldn't have NEARLY as many detractors as he has here.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:10 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

Does it make you feel better after posting stuff like this?

I hope so. Because you are going to have the best night ever.

Get over it. Its one game and we got a point out of it.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I've been waiting for us to drop off a cliff... it hasn't happened. I think we're for real. Maybe not a 1st place team but at least a solid playoff team. It's more than I expected anyway.
Quote:
Acceptance is the final stage of grief... it may take a while for us to admit it. But Price was bad.
Quote:
I'm actually going to give him way more than that based on the fact that it does take goalies longer to develop. I'm just not in the camp of people who thinks he's ALREADY franchise. I think he's a very good goalie with PROJECTIONS of being a great one and maybe a franchise one. But in this NHL, to be franchise and great, you need to be great in all areas. He still needs to work on his glove side. He still needs to work on his shootout skills. He still needs to stop overcommitting. He can work on that, he's still young for a goalie. But I personnally believe he's not there yet contrary to everybody else who already sees him being the #1 for Canada. To which I respond that he might very well be....but mostly due to a rather ordinairy pool of canadian goalies.
I don't see how you can argue that he's not already a franchise goalie. Who's better? There are very few - if any.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
pine
irregistered user

Price is the reason we're not in 1st anymore... we should have kept Halak.

In fact, we should have drafted Kopitar instead back in 05. Fire Timmins too.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
the

Quote:
I agree 100% couldn't say it better!

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
too much semantics...

what is a "franchise" goalie then?

Rinne? with his 13-15 record in 28 career post-season games? (contrast that with a 146-78 record in the regular season)

Lundqvist? 25-30 in 55 playoff games... compared to 260-162 in the regular season

Quick has a nice looking 20-12 playoff record... but it was 4-8 before last year's cup run. Is he a "franchise" goalie ahead of those two b/c of one great playoff run?

and if the definition of "franchise" goalie is simply winning a cup, like Niemi/Khabibulin/Giguere/Fleury/osgood... then screw it, I'll take our "very good goalie" and be quite happy to let Edmonton/SJ/Colorado/Pitts thump their chest proudly because they have a "franchise" goalie.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

I don't see how you can argue that he's not already a franchise goalie. Who's better? There are very few - if any.
you can't really... because no goalie in the league who hasn't won a cup would actually stand up to the litmus test, while many clearly less talented goalies with cup rings would.

not unlike trying to argue that Trent Dilfer was a "franchise QB" while Dan Marino wasn't... Dilfer has the ring to prove it mind you

Old
03-02-2013, 09:20 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Everybody has bad games. Period. Thank God St. Patrick never let in more than....nine
Yep, that is correct.

Great goalies can have bad games. Good ones too. Bad ones too.

I guess every goalie can have a bad game, so what's this point you're trying to make ? That Price is comparable with Roy ? You know, when Price is nominated for any type of award at the NHL level or wins a cup you can bring up the Roy comparison again but until then... I think that's just silly personally. Price isn't in the same stratosphere as Roy, and is quite unlikely to ever be.

And I'm not going to pile on Price tonight, he had a terrible game. Contrarily to most, I haven't been wowed by him this season, but there's a lot of hockey to be played still. I'm also looking forward to the playoffs. There were always excuses in the past. This year the team is playing some pretty damn solid hockey in front of him, scoring goals and preventing shots and chances. We'll see what he's really made of pretty soon.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:21 PM
groovejuice

Quote:

WS you are clearly one of the most respected posters here, and rightly so. And I think a lot of the friction you're currently experiencing is from people sick of being inundated by ignorant posters who ONLY post in order to spread their own vile brand of vitriol.

Tonight, Price was shellshocked. One softie, 3 blind screeners, 2 over reactions and a partridge in a pear tree. Horrible game by Price. Bad play, bad luck, bad support.

I believe he's proven he wins and has excelled at every level of hockey he's played. But in the NHL, he has no hardware, no records, no cups. In many minds this disqualifies him from being considered elite. Okay. For arguments sake I'll agree, although I think a case could be made otherwise.

What will it take for him to become elite? He has the athleticism, the skill, the drive to win, and the mental strength to shake off bad goals and bad games.

Ignoring the obvious addition of a superlative team around him, could it be only a matter of changing his training regimen and more importantly, coaching?

His hybrid style seems to focus on positioning more than athleticism. My question to you is does he need a new coach to get to the highest level? I'm not certain, but I believe it is a valid argument.

Last edited by groovejuice: 03-02-2013 at 09:42 PM.
groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:27 PM
TennisMenace

Look at the bright side fellows- Carey made the game memorable, tense, and thrilling.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:30 PM
pine
irregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Yep, that is correct.

I guess every goalie can have a bad game, so what's this point you're trying to make ? That Price is comparable with Roy ? You know, when Price is nominated for any type of award at the NHL level or wins a cup you can bring up the Roy comparison again but until then... I think that's just silly personally. Price isn't in the same stratosphere as Roy, and is quite unlikely to ever be.

And I'm not going to pile on Price tonight, he had a terrible game. Contrarily to most, I haven't been wowed by him this season, but there's a lot of hockey to be played still. I'm also looking forward to the playoffs. There were always excuses in the past. This year the team is playing some pretty damn solid hockey in front of him, scoring goals and preventing shots and chances. We'll see what he's really made of pretty soon.
Well to be fair, his post was in response to another poster who stated that Price wasn't elite because he had a stinker game. Well newsflash to this idiot: every ****ing goalie has bad games. I am 99% certain I can just pick any HOF goalie (or any other) at random and find a bad game of his.

But yes, he was terrible tonight, there's no denying that. Nevertheless, even with that stinker, he's still 11th in GAA.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:30 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Yep, that is correct.

You're right of course, but I was only responding to a post that suggested allowing 7 goals automatically removes one from elite status. In that sense, which I specifically replied to, it is perfectly accurate.

I too think he has been very, very good this year, but I believe he is being hamstrung by his ever changing style. It is effective, but not foolproof and I believe it sacrifices too much of his athleticism for body position.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:34 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
You're right of course, but I was only responding to a post that suggested allowing 7 goals automatically removes one from elite status. In that sense, which I specifically replied to, it is perfectly accurate.
My apologies.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
once again? my god, he was poor tonight but saying "once again" shows your true motives. Show up when Price plays poor. Congrats.
It's not just because he let 7 goal in that it is is first bad game. come on people. Price had a bag game vs Ottawa and Toronto, but it showed less cause our defense played better. The teams didn't let Price a lot of chance to look bad this season, few NHL goalie would of looked bad this year behind them

I said it in the past and I'm gonna say it again, when our defense play good, Price look good. When they don't he don't. Like Huet, like Halak. Price is a good goaler, but far from a franchise goaler.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
It's not just because he let 7 goal in that it is is first bad game. come on people. Price had a bag game vs Ottawa and Toronto, but it showed less cause our defense played better. The teams didn't let Price a lot of chance to look bad this season, few NHL goalie would of looked bad this year behind them

I said it in the past and I'm gonna say it again, when our defense play good, Price look good. When they don't he don't. Like Huet, like Halak. Price is a good goaler, but far from a franchise goaler.
do you watch many games aside from the habs?

name me the goalie who consistently looks good when his defense plays poorly???