HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Wennberg, Mantha, Gauthier, Rychel, or Erne, if he slips to the 18-22 range, are ideal picks for this franchise.

With Wennberg, you get a guy that lacks NA exposure, but may have top 10 talent at the center position.

Gauthier is a guy that could easily fill a 3rd line center role, with his size and physical engagement, but he also has the upside offensively to fill a second line role, if his offense continues to develop.

Mantha is possibly the best pure scorer in the draft. He needs to work under a taskmaster of a coach, to keep his focus, but if he can be refined, a great skating 6'4 winger with his offensive ability, may just be too hard to pass up.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:07 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Wennberg, Mantha, Gauthier, Rychel, or Erne, if he slips to the 18-22 range, are ideal picks for this franchise.

Gauthier is a guy that could easily fill a 3rd line center role, with his size and physical engagement, but he also has the upside offensively to fill a second line role, if his offense continues to develop.
Check out Gauthier on Sportsnet tonight. There's also going to be a feature on him in the 1st intermission.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Erne's points totals have dropped drastically without Grigorenko, plus there are question marks from his suspension, Morrison would never draft a player with questionable character when there is one with more character already in the draft in Hartman or Dickinson. Plus I don't see Erne being an elite talent anyway.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:

With Wennberg, you get a guy that lacks NA exposure, but may have top 10 talent at the center position.

Mantha is possibly the best pure scorer in the draft. He needs to work under a taskmaster of a coach, to keep his focus, but if he can be refined, a great skating 6'4 winger with his offensive ability, may just be too hard to pass up.

I'd put Fucale in that mix as well...I'd love to draft him if we're outside the top 20.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

wennberg seems interesting to me.

03-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Auzzie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
wennberg seems interesting to me.
Great hands, great wheels, but needs to get heavier, good pick for 20-25 range

Old
03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Wennbergs game looks great in those highlites. However, half of the stuff he was doing would be nearly impossible on smaller ice. So hard to base a players game playing on international ice

Old
03-02-2013, 10:36 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
He's got great speed, good hands, decent shot. He'll need to work on his release if he's going to be a scorer at the NHL level. Looks like he was trying to do too much by himself out there. And for a skinny kid, he's pretty solid at winning board battles.

Really interesting prospect.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:01 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I'd put Fucale in that mix as well...I'd love to draft him if we're outside the top 20.
Forgot about Fucale. I like him too, but I see guys like Spencer Martin and Tristan Jarry, and wonder if there is enough separation between them ans Fucale. I would rather take one of those two in the 2nd/3rd, and grab a solid piece up front in the 1st.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Heading to Owen Sound vs. Mississauga tonight. Going to see Percy in action, is there anyone else worth keeping an eye on? Drafted or not? Maybe first round projected players?

03-02-2013, 02:27 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

He seems really interesting to me. Read an article about him on Yahoo sports and I guess at around the half way point last season, things started to click for him, offensively. Could be a sniper-PF, could just be a big kid with some skill taking advantage in a boys league. But a 50g season is nothing to sneeze at any level. He's just about there now.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFratt View Post
Heading to Owen Sound vs. Mississauga tonight. Going to see Percy in action, is there anyone else worth keeping an eye on? Drafted or not? Maybe first round projected players?
The goalie Spencer Martin on Mississauga and Chris Bigras and Zach Nastasiuk of Owen Sound are the best 3 draft eligibles to watch.

You could watch Cody Ceci, Stuart Percy, Jordan Binnington, and Daniel Catenacci as far as players already drafted goes.

03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
rdawg1234

I've always wondered, Was the 2003 draft considered extremely deep before it began? or were many of the late round picks a surprise?

does this draft seem comparable? or somewhat close at least?

Old
03-02-2013, 02:47 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Ya for missy non drafted players would be Burnside (95, 13) Bourne (96, 14) Macintyre(96,14) jacob graves is a 95 that might be a late pick this year, hes very phsyical.

Owen sound Has bigras and nastasiuk(13). They traded there first rounder this year for ceci.

Last edited by sniper81: 03-02-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edit
Old
03-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Bigras from the sound. Also tell us how "super prospect" ceci is doing there.

Spencer martin would be a good guy to keep an eye on.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Forgot about Fucale. I like him too, but I see guys like Spencer Martin and Tristan Jarry, and wonder if there is enough separation between them ans Fucale. I would rather take one of those two in the 2nd/3rd, and grab a solid piece up front in the 1st.
I really like the prospect Tristan Jerry, ever time i see little of him I come out impressed.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:50 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I've always wondered, Was the 2003 draft considered extremely deep before it began? or were many of the late round picks a surprise?

This is a good question. I second it!

I know the lockout of 05 was considered to have a huge impact on that draft (since players had to sit instead of playing) but there was a full season between that draft and the lockout.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

This has been considered a deep draft form the get go. It's been drawing comparisons from the 06 one I believe.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post

I've got him quite a bit higher, I think he's the best center after the "big 4" if you like.

The one thing that doesn't worry me, But is kind of complicated is possible development path. He currently play for Djurgarden in the Allsvenskan(swe 2nd) and is putting very good numbers for an 18 year old(late 94) but there not guaranteed to be promoted to SEL, Where ideally that's where you would want him to play next season. Then possibly the AHL may be option or a move to a SEL team.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:00 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post

I can't speak to how the draft was viewed heading into it but one thing that helped contribute to its strength is a change in rules eliminating the "opt in" rule for players either in the NCAA or committed to the NCAA.

I'm not sure how much of an effect that had, but it probably had something to do with how strong the 03 draft was

Old
03-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Like Kadri? That's a skill pick as was Rielly. That would be nice, but The way things are going we will be picking around 20th. This is a deep draft, but there are no Drouin's or Nichuskin around 20. If we were picking 20-24, I would be very happy with Hartman. He's not an unskilled bottom 6 guy, he's leading a very good Plymouth team that may be the OHL rep for the memorial cup in scoring. A very solid player with a tonne of intangible positives.

Justin Bailey is a guy I would be willing to go deep on, boom/bust
Yes, like Kadri and Rielly. I have been extremely intrigued by Wennberg for a while now, and I think he would be the best case scenario where we are slated to pick. I'm also very high on Lazar.

Valentin Zykov should be turning more heads IMO. I like him better than Erne.

Last edited by Bernier the Boats: 03-02-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 09:29 PM
doubledown99

Yes the 2003 draft was considered very strong and deep a year out. It was being compared to 1993 draft at the time and some thought it might rival the 1979 draft. Now the top 11 were considerd to be stars while the the top 50 was considered to be NHL players. If I remember correctly, the players 20-40 were considered to be very close. It's one of the reasons Dal traded their 1st rder for two 2nd rders (can't remember the team they traded with but maybe Ana? I do recall they picked L. Eriksson with one if their 2nd rders).

Old
03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
BertCorbeau
Speak my Changuage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Yes the 2003 draft was considered very strong and deep a year out. It was being compared to 1993 draft at the time and some thought it might rival the 1979 draft. Now the top 11 were considerd to be stars while the the top 50 was considered to be NHL players. If I remember correctly, the players 20-40 were considered to be very close. It's one of the reasons Dal traded their 1st rder for two 2nd rders (can't remember the team they traded with but maybe Ana? I do recall they picked L. Eriksson with one if their 2nd rders).
They did trade with Anaheim, but they had Columbus' second rounder which got them Eriksson ... Dallas had 28th overall, traded to the Ducks who took Corey Perry

Dallas took Vojtak Polak and BJ Crombeen with the Ducks second rounders

I wonder who won that trade

Old
03-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I know people like Fucale, I know i do. However the goalie Tristan Jerry from WHL really is something IMO, always impressed by him.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:15 AM
81snipe

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I know people like Fucale, I know i do. However the goalie Tristan Jerry from WHL really is something IMO, always impressed by him.

Same here, always looks solid and would be a great 3rd/4th round pick imo.

Closed Thread