HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "no one wants to make a PGT" edition

Old
03-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Habtchum*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Seriously? Gionta played a classic Gionta game tonight. Hard-nosed battling and two goals. Guy needs some props.

On a serious note, Kaberle has been really good since his return from exile. Well, as good as Kaberle can be, I guess.
Kaberle is a real pro. Too bad he's not paid half his actual salary.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Seriously? Gionta played a classic Gionta game tonight. Hard-nosed battling and two goals. Guy needs some props.

On a serious note, Kaberle has been really good since his return from exile. Well, as good as Kaberle can be, I guess.
Kaberle made the powerplay dangerous again, he deserves to be recognized after being vilified all year. He made lots of excellent passes to make the transition game better.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Milhouse40

DD was going nowhere in the beginning of the season.
Pacioretty is out, Eller is in...DD got 2 goal in one game.

Cole was going nowhere...get demoted with Eller....2 points
Gionta was going slow..get on a line with Eller.....2 goals

If another player get in a slump....we know what to do

Milhouse40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On to the Impact.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Saundies

Price played pretty bad tonight, but you don't start Budaj against Boston tomorrow. Biggest game of the year to date, you need your #1 guy in there.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:24 PM
gillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
DD was going nowhere in the beginning of the season.
Pacioretty is out, Eller is in...DD got 2 goal in one game.

Cole was going nowhere...get demoted with Eller....2 points
Gionta was going slow..get on a line with Eller.....2 goals

If another player get in a slump....we know what to do

I believe eller is one of our best players, he can play anywhere from 1-4th line, PK and PP.

gillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:25 PM
CaliHab84

Eller was the reason they scored the 5th goal it was a dumb move by him to catch the puck out of the air as its being dumped out by our d to put it on his stick, which led to that turnover and the 5th momentum killing goal, ya price was bad, but eller's mistake is what cost us the game.

CaliHab84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:34 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:

He gets props for playing a good game, where has he been for the rest of the season?
I got nothing against Gionta, and think he brings a lot to the team. But face it, he has been relatively invisible this season for us. At 5 mill a season, unless your name is Scott Gomez then you aren't being paid to be invisible

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:39 PM
KBstyle

I remember Therrien said it take only 3 goal to win a game, that's probably don't apply for tonight game

KBstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHab84 View Post
Eller was the reason they scored the 5th goal it was a dumb move by him to catch the puck out of the air as its being dumped out by our d to put it on his stick, which led to that turnover and the 5th momentum killing goal, ya price was bad, but eller's mistake is what cost us the game.

Bold. I think sutter in OT is what cost us the game

Oh and not playing galchy at the end of the game when he is most useful because of his emotion and love for underdog/adversity.

Old
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillings View Post
0_0

Montreal's defensive zone coverage was horrendous and undisciplined.

price gobbled up ALOT of shots and left NO rebound.. the shots he did let in where either screens, flukes or bounces..
Exactly. He swallowed almost every puck that went his way, and the ones that he didn't, he deflected into the corners or to his defensemen, and he played pucks for his defense like he was one himself. Like most games he plays in.

He had a ton of bad luck, bad bounces, and bad defense this game. The only difference between this game and any other was the luck factor.

Here's a breakdown of the night's goals on Price. You can call them excuses all you want, but you can't fairly deny how true they are:

Goal 1
- shot by Letang to the far side
- bounces off Emelin's skate
- right to Sutter
- Price was already trying to deflect the shot to the far corner and unfortunately left the short side wide open
- you cannot anticipate deflections

Goal 2
- Crosby shot, grabbed his rebound, and continued behind the net
- Price slid out to cut off his angle and scrambled to get back in front
- Crosby stops on a dime behind the net
- Crosby makes a quick pass to Kunitz following him
- Price is checking the far side for a split-second to prevent a wraparound and check where Crosby is
- Kunitz one-times Crosby's pass and it hits Price as he's coming back to the short side
- that goal was all Crosby

Goal 3
- Price is doubly-screened by Neal right in front, and by Plekanec trying to block Cooke's shooting lane
- Cooke tosses a wrister towards the net
- Price had no idea the puck was even coming towards him until Neal made a move to get out of the way
- the only way to stop those is by pure luck that the puck hits you, it just didn't this time, not his fault at all

Goal 4
- another complete screen by Gorges
- you can see Price moving his head over to his left to see if he can find the puck
- Cooke shoots it at the same time and it finds its way through Gorges
- it goes in the right side while Carey is leaning left
- another screened shot, you can't ever fault goalies for allowing those

Goal 5
- Crosby behind the net passes out to a wide open Kunitz in the slot
- Kunitz' perfect one-timer goes in off the far post
- if you call that a bad goal, **** you

Goal 6
- Price is squeezing the post to prevent a short-side tuck-in
- puck squeaks out right to Crosby sneaking in from the blueline
- Crosby completely rips it top-corner on the far-side
- wouldn't call it a bad goal, but that's the first one which was stoppable, it just found its way through somehow

Goal 7
- Sutter got alone in the slot
- Price came far out to challenge him
- Sutter ripped a wicked wrister just inside the post
- that one was stoppable too, but another perfectly placed shot means it's not really a bad goal

Conclusion
- no bad goals
- he had a semblance of a chance on only two of the seven
- completely deflating
- ridiculous to say Price had a bad game
- Pens had a ton of great scoring chances
- Habs were only in it due to Vokoun

And that's all for me tonight.

Dekar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

Did anyone notice Galchenyuk bodychecking? I didn't. Is he under orders not to try?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:47 PM
gillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Exactly. He swallowed almost every puck that went his way, and the ones that he didn't, he deflected into the corners or to his defensemen, and he played pucks for his defense like he was one himself. Like most games he plays in.

He had a ton of bad luck, bad bounces, and bad defense this game. The only difference between this game and any other was the luck factor.

Here's a breakdown of the night's goals on Price. You can call them excuses all you want, but you can't fairly deny how true they are:

Goal 1
- shot by Letang to the far side
- bounces off Emelin's skate
- right to Sutter
- Price was already trying to deflect the shot to the far corner and unfortunately left the short side wide open
- you cannot anticipate deflections

Goal 2
- Crosby shot, grabbed his rebound, and continued behind the net
- Price slid out to cut off his angle and scrambled to get back in front
- Crosby stops on a dime behind the net
- Crosby makes a quick pass to Kunitz following him
- Price is checking the far side for a split-second to prevent a wraparound and check where Crosby is
- Kunitz one-times Crosby's pass and it hits Price as he's coming back to the short side
- that goal was all Crosby

Goal 3
- Price is doubly-screened by Neal right in front, and by Plekanec trying to block Cooke's shooting lane
- Cooke tosses a wrister towards the net
- Price had no idea the puck was even coming towards him until Neal made a move to get out of the way
- the only way to stop those is by pure luck that the puck hits you, it just didn't this time, not his fault at all

Goal 4
- another complete screen by Gorges
- you can see Price moving his head over to his left to see if he can find the puck
- Cooke shoots it at the same time and it finds its way through Gorges
- it goes in the right side while Carey is leaning left
- another screened shot, you can't ever fault goalies for allowing those

Goal 5
- Crosby behind the net passes out to a wide open Kunitz in the slot
- Kunitz' perfect one-timer goes in off the far post
- if you call that a bad goal, **** you

Goal 6
- Price is squeezing the post to prevent a short-side tuck-in
- puck squeaks out right to Crosby sneaking in from the blueline
- Crosby completely rips it top-corner on the far-side
- wouldn't call it a bad goal, but that's the first one which was stoppable, it just found its way through somehow

Goal 7
- Sutter got alone in the slot
- Price came far out to challenge him
- Sutter ripped a wicked wrister just inside the post
- that one was stoppable too, but another perfectly placed shot means it's not really a bad goal

Conclusion
- no bad goals
- he had a semblance of a chance on only two of the seven
- completely deflating
- ridiculous to say Price had a bad game
- Pens had a ton of great scoring chances
- Habs were only in it due to Vokoun

And that's all for me tonight.

Goal 1, He over played the pass, but your right, it is very difficult to anticipate those types of things. Im a goalie and I know.. But he moved way to fast on the pass.

Goal 2, That was all crosby but kunitz also saw what crosby saw which was shoot it at price.. I love crosbys vision.

Goal 3, It pretty much went post and in, on a screen.. Not a bad goal. Same with 4.

Goal 5, LOL, Nice snipe but bad vision by price. Good goal

Goal 6, Things happen fast in hockey, As a goaltender, price should have pushed out to the top of crease instead of napping on the post hoping the shot would hit his glove. Yet again im a goalie and those shots are very hard to pick up.

Goal 7, Price is big and took up alot of room but the shooter found a hole, and when price is low in confidence he relies to much on just hoping the puck hits him instead of tracking it and catching it/deflecting/gobbling. I am a goalie and I have been called carey price numerous times in the way both of us play goalie..

Cheers to your post.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHab84 View Post
The puck would have definitely left the zone and that goal would not have happened.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:50 PM
zzoo

Happy to see Eller has another great game. I like him more and more.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:52 PM
schumway2

The good thing about this game is that in the playoffs, games like this happen. What was good was that we didn't lose our cool after going down 2.

The bad...defence. Ouch. Our smallish back end will get exposed more as the season moves along. I said it against the Leafs and I'll say it again. Tinordi can't develop fast enough.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:58 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Just gonna throw this stat out there even though it means **** all. Habs were a collective +1 despite giving up 7 goals, Pens were a collective -1 despite putting up 7 goals. Just saying

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:01 AM
hockeyfan2k11

It may be time to split up Markov and Emelin.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:05 AM
The Doors

Fun to watch your team score 6, flukey kind of game. Missing two top six forwards (Bourque and Cole). Kaberle made some nice passes. Why does Subban's stick always break?

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Starting to miss Cole, no one wants to go to the net other than Prust.

Subban really needs to be off the top PP unit, replace with Kaberle and let Markov do his thing.
Gallagher and Max-Pac say hi. You are way off, as usual.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:35 AM
ChuckieG

The Price hate going on on these boards tonight would actually be funny if most people weren't dead serious.

I don't know about you guys, but I've been watching him since his days in the AHL, and I can tell when what type of game he's going to have from the second he makes that first save. Most nights, you know he's going to be rock solid. But tonight, I don't know if it was just me, I could tell he wasn't on his game, and I'm sure MT also saw that too. I think the bad call was not pulling Price. Every goalie has bad nights, and I'm not blaming Price for this loss, but he was psychologically drained. He couldn't stop a beach ball. I think playing Budaj would have been beneficial in this case just because he wouldn't be so emotionally attached to it.

Other than Price, the overall D was atrocious and thats been happening quite frequently the past few games. Gorges, Markov, Emelin all need to tighten up and the forwards are also the problem here. It seems that every missed opportunity to get the puck out of our zone ultimately ends up in the back of our net. It's simple plays where we should have had possession, where we get too cute with it, and it ends up costing us.

But honestly, I'm not worried. Price should play vs the B's, I know he wants to redeem himself. These games don't happen often, and if we would have won nobody would be complaining, we would all be rejoicing, saying how the team has unbelievable offensive potential, and that this was their favourite game of the year. It's all about perspective, so please refrain from jumping off a cliff, or hunting down Price after tonight. A game doesn't make a season, in wins and in losses. Get over it.

ChuckieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:40 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckieG View Post
The Price hate going on on these boards tonight would actually be funny if most people weren't dead serious.

I don't know about you guys, but I've been watching him since his days in the AHL, and I can tell when what type of game he's going to have from the second he makes that first save. Most nights, you know he's going to be rock solid. But tonight, I don't know if it was just me, I could tell he wasn't on his game, and I'm sure MT also saw that too. I think the bad call was not pulling Price. Every goalie has bad nights, and I'm not blaming Price for this loss, but he was psychologically drained. He couldn't stop a beach ball. I think playing Budaj would have been beneficial in this case just because he wouldn't be so emotionally attached to it.

Other than Price, the overall D was atrocious and thats been happening quite frequently the past few games. Gorges, Markov, Emelin all need to tighten up and the forwards are also the problem here. It seems that every missed opportunity to get the puck out of our zone ultimately ends up in the back of our net. It's simple plays where we should have had possession, where we get too cute with it, and it ends up costing us.

But honestly, I'm not worried. Price should play vs the B's, I know he wants to redeem himself. These games don't happen often, and if we would have won nobody would be complaining, we would all be rejoicing, saying how the team has unbelievable offensive potential, and that this was their favourite game of the year. It's all about perspective, so please refrain from jumping off a cliff, or hunting down Price after tonight. A game doesn't make a season, in wins and in losses. Get over it.
I agree with much of what you said, but it's easy to say that MT should have pulled Price now. Plus, when the game is still anyone's game, you don't pull your number 1 goalie imo. Also, assuming that MT want's Price in for the game tomorrow (I hope so), it's best to leave him in net I think.

Other than that, great post. We need more guys like you around.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckieG View Post

I think you've got to let him battle through it. Esp when he's been so hot lately.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:47 AM
ChuckieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
I agree with much of what you said, but it's easy to say that MT should have pulled Price now. Plus, when the game is still anyone's game, you don't pull your number 1 goalie imo. Also, assuming that MT want's Price in for the game tomorrow (I hope so), it's best to leave him in net I think.

Other than that, great post. We need more guys like you around.
I just think it would have been a bold move from MT, we could all see no way Price was going to win this one.

I just don't get the hysteria from most people. We're 7-0-3 in our last 10 GAMES, thats 17 points out of a possible 20 and we haven't played terribly in any one of those games, except maybe tonight from a defensive P.O.V. Sometimes I wish we would trade away players like Price and Gally just so some fans could realize what we actually have.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:48 AM
ChuckieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think you've got to let him battle through it. Esp when he's been so hot lately.
Idk about that, he just didn't seem on point. But Price tends to play his best once he struggles, so maybe this is the best thing for him.