HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Master

Old
10-17-2012, 07:01 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I understand that people don't like The Master. I just think its funny every time I see a person say that they didn't like it because it "wasn't about anything", and than types 3-5 paragraphs about all the things it could possibly about. I think that's the point, whether you enjoy it or not.
I liked it, but I went into it with the expectation that the movie was about The Cause, and it wasn't. So what was the point of even having this "cult" based on Scientology in the film? He tried ruffling the feathers a bit with this religious faction, but it was very brief. PTA could have simply told a story about Freddie and Lancaster.

I'll have to watch it again when it comes out, maybe pick up on more subtleties. I like the idea of the id, ego and super-ego. But again, I should not have to be an expert on psychoanalysis to understand the basis of a film. It just boils down to expecting a lot more from the film as a whole, because in parts (acting, cinematography, score), it is amazing.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Kitten Mittons

Looks like Joaquin won't be winning the Oscars:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...=entertainment

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Heisenberg77

Man I can't wait to see Lincoln as well. Phoenix and DDL up for the same award? Yes please!

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:39 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan77 View Post
Man I can't wait to see Lincoln as well. Phoenix and DDL up for the same award? Yes please!
Some heavyweights going at it.

Just saw The Master again tonight, I get more and more out of it every time I see it.

10-25-2012, 11:50 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

Sorry to bump, but I found a link to the script the other day on IMDb. Can't find it anymore (don't remember if it was on the movies discussion board or PTAs), does anyone on here know what I'm talking about? It was a scrollable pdf page. Any help is appreciated, as my searches have been fruitless so far.

edit: nvm found it

Last edited by P U L L H A R D: 10-25-2012 at 12:06 PM.
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:05 PM
StringerBell

Bumping this thread

Just had a chance to see this last night and it was truly something else. So much to chew on and even more to digest. It's not the most enthralling film of the year but I can't think of one that impacted me more.

Would anyone care to give me their take on the movie theatre scene at the end? In the final meeting in England Freddie refers to that scene as a dream, but I don't understand why he says that. What is the point of making that scene a dream? Was it meant to negate Dodd's supposed desire to see Freddie again, express Freddie's subconscious desire to return to the cause, or express something else entirely?

So much to ponder.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Heisenberg77

Out on Blu Ray Tuesday. Must buy.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:44 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

To this day I've never seen an entire theater of people be so bored and disappointed with a movie before.

Honestly, 1/3rd of the people started walking out about 90 minutes in, lots of people were sleeping, and lots of people were like me...waiting for something/anything to happen and wondering why I had to stare at a room full of naked old people.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:22 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Just had a chance to see this last night and it was truly something else. So much to chew on and even more to digest. It's not the most enthralling film of the year but I can't think of one that impacted me more.

Would anyone care to give me their take on the movie theatre scene at the end? In the final meeting in England Freddie refers to that scene as a dream, but I don't understand why he says that. What is the point of making that scene a dream? Was it meant to negate Dodd's supposed desire to see Freddie again, express Freddie's subconscious desire to return to the cause, or express something else entirely?

So much to ponder.
PTA said something to the effect of: Freddie was dealing with some ghosts. But not all ghosts have to be evil. (Casper the friendly ghost playing in the background)

Old
02-22-2013, 01:22 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
To this day I've never seen an entire theater of people be so bored and disappointed with a movie before.

Honestly, 1/3rd of the people started walking out about 90 minutes in, lots of people were sleeping, and lots of people were like me...waiting for something/anything to happen and wondering why I had to stare at a room full of naked old people.
Would you rather watch this or another shoot em up? I would take this 10/10 times.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:28 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
PTA said something to the effect of: Freddie was dealing with some ghosts. But not all ghosts have to be evil. (Casper the friendly ghost playing in the background)
Hmm that's an interesting detail but I'm still confused with the dream aspect. Will watch it again and see if anything else clicks.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:48 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Hmm that's an interesting detail but I'm still confused with the dream aspect. Will watch it again and see if anything else clicks.
I digested it as Freddie not being able to move on from Lancaster as easily as riding away in the desert. He hung on to thoughts and feelings of his friend because of the abrupt exit he made. The dream was a metaphor for the friendly ghost he carries with him. It moved him so much that he went to visit his Master all the way across the pond.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Just finished it. Phoenix and Seymour Hoffman were great. Amy Adams, in her somewhat limited role (compared to the other two) was also very good. What I took from the movie was partly the cliched, behind every strong man is a stronger woman. To me, it was pretty obvious that Peggy was the driving force behind everything, and that came out especially in the clip they showed of her at the Oscars where she is lecturing Lancaster, almost as if she is dictating the words he was typing (which she very well may have been).

I think the movie tried too hard, if that's even a thing. It was visually stunning, even in just 720p on my not so great laptop.

I expected more out of it than it delivered, maybe I went in with the wrong mindset, or expecting a completely different movie and that could be why that happened.

The acting was great, and it was visually beautiful, but the plot just seemed too "unoriginal" for me.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote