HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Absolutely hated the Clarke and Heard picks in our last draft. Clarke just looked crappy from the beginning and Heard was drafted way too high.

Clarke will be one that never sees an ELC.

Blandisi will have an opportunity as he does have some skill, he was just on a stacked Owen Sound team and didn't get many opportunities now that he is getting time in Ottawa he seems to be showing glimpses of being a solid offensive player.

I agree I hated both picks as well. Heard might wind up being a good 4th liner for us one day and we spent a 2nd round pick on that type of potential?

Old
03-02-2013, 10:43 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I haven't watched Clarke much this season, but was able to see him a lot the last two and I think he has some really good potential, picture a less talented version of Downie. But his consistency is just crazy and I don't think he has gotten a point in his last 4-6 games.
less talented downie? doesn't sound like an nhl player sounds like david van der gulik.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:47 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
less talented downie? doesn't sound like an nhl player sounds like david van der gulik.
I think he has NHL talent, but is very raw and inconsistent.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:14 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I thought it'd be interesting to dig up some of our old comments from 3 of our players we selected in the 2009 NHL Draft

Comments on Ryan O'Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrlinx View Post
Scouting report from GM: "He's a special player. He's nowhere near the level he's going to be. He really accepts the challenge of getting better. He really believes in the team winning, not himself. I haven't had a kid that's so focused on preparation and just working on getting better. He's got such a work ethic you almost have to pull him away. We always talk about the will to prepare -- well, he's got a phenomenal will to prepare."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Crap...Roussel to Nashville....O'Reilly is still a good pick at #33 but I think Nashville have got another Shea Weber type of situation with picking Roussel at #42.
Quote:
On the NHL Network, after the O'Reilly pick, they all said that there was no chance that Ryan O'Reilly wasn't going to be an excellent NHL player. I had him ranked 24th so I think it's a good pick...still wanted Roussel though.
Comments on Stefan Elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Elliot's a great pick at this spot, I'm liking our draft so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Elliot and O'reilly. Good picks, both were thought to be 1st rounders by many.
Comments on Tyson Barrie

Quote:
Yuck...horrible pick!!! Tyson Barrie ****ing sucks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Tyson Barrie? I'm not a fan of that pick.

edit - He is in a great program in Kelowna. I just can't see him being good enough defensively to play in the NHL.
I'd say that Bender had some great insight for our picks back then, because he DID have O'Reilly listed in the 1st round. And while he wasn't a fan of the Barrie pick, I think we can all give him a free pass.

Anywho, I found it interesting to go back and see what we all thought of our picks. Some of us were split on the O'Reilly selection, believing that he'd never amount to anything but a typical 3rd line C, but as of last season, he's proven the people who thought that wrong.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
03-03-2013, 12:29 AM
chet1926

vCash: 500
Colin Smith hits 100 pts tonight, congrats on a solid season. Any time you hit 100 pts its a big season. Hopefully he can continue his success in the future.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Scouting report from GM: "He's a special player. He's nowhere near the level he's going to be. He really accepts the challenge of getting better. He really believes in the team winning, not himself. I haven't had a kid that's so focused on preparation and just working on getting better. He's got such a work ethic you almost have to pull him away. We always talk about the will to prepare -- well, he's got a phenomenal will to prepare."

Old
03-03-2013, 08:41 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I don't think the quote is inaccurate, but it is more muddled now.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

He's got a lot to prove, I'll say that much.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:08 PM
avsfan89

holy, just did some checking up on Avs prospects.

Duncan Siemens is a +35 on the year! Hopefully that's a great sign. Also hoping his play has influenced his team's 18 GAME WIN STREAK. unreal.

Colin Smith: 40 goals, 60 assists for 100 points in 66 games. Steal for sure! I hope he gives the Avs a push for a roster spot.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:20 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
holy, just did some checking up on Avs prospects.

Duncan Siemens is a +35 on the year! Hopefully that's a great sign. Also hoping his play has influenced his team's 18 GAME WIN STREAK. unreal.

Colin Smith: 40 goals, 60 assists for 100 points in 66 games. Steal for sure! I hope he gives the Avs a push for a roster spot.
Don't count on Smith making it to the NHL for a few years. He is likely too small and easily knocked off the puck for center, IMO his future is at RW and that is 2-3 years away.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:25 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Heard with two goals for Plymouth so far in todays game. Meurs with a fight and an assist.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:30 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Hey guys. Not trolling or anything like that but wondering if you have heard anything on Joey Hishon? How is his road to recovery?

Old
03-03-2013, 02:36 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
Hey guys. Not trolling or anything like that but wondering if you have heard anything on Joey Hishon? How is his road to recovery?
He has decided to quit hockey and become the Jack in the Box guy.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:37 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Heard with two goals for Plymouth so far in todays game. Meurs with a fight and an assist.
Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
Honestly we don't know much but he is with the Lake Erie Monsters and I think he is skating but I don't think he is close to playing.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I think he cares more about the team winning than most players in the league, and does everything he can to help them win.

Unfortunately, he also cares more about money than most players in the league, and does everything he can to get it.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:57 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Don't count on Smith making it to the NHL for a few years. He is likely too small and easily knocked off the puck for center, IMO his future is at RW and that is 2-3 years away.
You never know, 100pts is incredibly solid no matter your age in a given league.

Smith could just be one of those late bloomers. I agree he needs to bulk up a little, but just like Sgarbossa did this year he has the opportunity to go to Erie next year and if he plays well he could be one of those injury call ups.

I think Smith gets a full year in Erie before he pushes for a roster spot.

All of a sudden our offensive prospects are starting to look a little better next year with Sgarbossa, Smith, Hishon (hopefully) and even Blandisi, Bourke, Muers and Heard. Next years Lake Erie team will be very interesting to see which players start to separate themselves and prove to be NHL quality players.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
avsfan89

Troy Rutkowski is playing amazing for Portland, is he signed or will he be signed by the Avalanche?

Old
03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

Quote:
Troy Rutkowski is playing amazing for Portland, is he signed or will he be signed by the Avalanche?
The Avs decided to not sign him.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:47 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
You never know, 100pts is incredibly solid no matter your age in a given league.

Smith could just be one of those late bloomers. I agree he needs to bulk up a little, but just like Sgarbossa did this year he has the opportunity to go to Erie next year and if he plays well he could be one of those injury call ups.

I think Smith gets a full year in Erie before he pushes for a roster spot.

All of a sudden our offensive prospects are starting to look a little better next year with Sgarbossa, Smith, Hishon (hopefully) and even Blandisi, Bourke, Muers and Heard. Next years Lake Erie team will be very interesting to see which players start to separate themselves and prove to be NHL quality players.
I really don't see much with our offensive prospects. Sgarbossa will be a NHL player in a 2nd or 3rd line role (I'm pretty high on him and think he ends up as a #2C or LW). Bourke has a ton of skill and should be a NHL player in a few years. Those are the only two I really see making it in an offensive role. Heard is pretty safe to become a #4C with defensive #3C upside. I don't count on Hishon to be anything. Muers high end up side is Matt Halishuk, so not much. Smith is a boom or bust prospect, odds are against those types.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:52 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
The Avs decided to not sign him.
is that as in, they won't even try and sign him at any point in the future (e.g. letting him go mueller, flash and brian elliot style)?

Old
03-03-2013, 03:54 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

Quote:
is that as in, they won't even try and sign him at any point in the future (e.g. letting him go mueller, flash and brian elliot style)?
They had to sign him last year but chose not to, so we lost his rights.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:56 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
They had to sign him last year but chose not to, so we lost his rights.
wow yikes lol I hope they attempt to get him back at least, his numbers on Portland have been impressive. 60 points 2nd in scoring

Old
03-03-2013, 04:28 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
wow yikes lol I hope they attempt to get him back at least, his numbers on Portland have been impressive. 60 points 2nd in scoring
It was probably a mistake to let him go (at least I think so), but don't get overexcited by an overager producing a ton of points on a stacked team. He likely won't amount to much more than a bottom pairing guy at best.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I thought it'd be interesting to dig up some of our old comments from 3 of our players we selected in the 2009 NHL Draft

I'd say that Bender had some great insight for our picks back then, because he DID have O'Reilly listed in the 1st round. And while he wasn't a fan of the Barrie pick, I think we can all give him a free pass.

Anywho, I found it interesting to go back and see what we all thought of our picks. Some of us were split on the O'Reilly selection, believing that he'd never amount to anything but a typical 3rd line C, but as of last season, he's proven the people who thought that wrong.
To be fair, to myself, I have not flip-flopped and claimed that I've 'always' liked him or anything like that. I've always said that I didn't like the pick back then and that I hope I was wrong about him.

I still have hopes for Charles-Olivier Roussel, it might take him a while to make it, if he does at all.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
If Avs think he isn't worth a ELC sign, then they know something.

IMO I think he was worth a shot, but at the same time he seems like Chouinard 2.0, which kind of sucks because I had high hopes for Chouinard.

Now the most underrated player in the Avs system is effin Condon, fun player to watch.

Closed Thread