HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Olympics in Sochi 2014

Old
02-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Grammar Butcher

vCash: 500
My Sochi squad (if NHL-players now will be allowed?)

Frw:
Zetterberg
Bäckis
Twins
Eriksson
Steen
Hagge
Silfver (If he doesn't do a complete free fall)
---
Berglund
Landeskog
Hörnqvist
Backlund
Zibbe
Krüger

Def:
Karlsson
OEL
Hedman
Edler
Brodin (yes)
----
Enström
Hjalmarsson
Larsson
---
Kronwall (probably not)

GT:
Lunkan
---
Fasth/Lehner/Hedberg/Lindbäck (?)

But first: FIRE MÅRTS!

Last edited by Grammar Butcher: 02-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Grammar Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnawer View Post
Kronwall (probably not)
Your whole squad lost its credibility through that.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:33 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
No pain no gain!

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Grammar Butcher

Quote:
Really with that depth we have?

Kronwall's been awful this year, if you don't believe me, take a trip in to DRW's forum. And i definitely don't rank him higher than any one on my top-5 list. And Sochi is more than a year away, so... But who knows, he might crawl back in?

Grammar Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnawer View Post
Really with that depth we have?

Kronwall's been awful this year, if you don't believe me, take a trip in to DRW's forum. And i definitely don't rank him higher than any one on my top-5 list. And Sochi is more than a year away, so... But who knows, he might crawl back in?
He's been forced to play over his capacity as a number one d-man, but i can see him in a shut-down role on the third pairing especially since we need the balance.

Hedman-Karlsson
Enström-OEL
Kronwall-Edler

But as you said, it's a year left so we'll see if any young-gun can crack the roster. Most importantly though is that Hedman becomes even bettert han he has been this year, and OEL also.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
He's been forced to play over his capacity as a number one d-man, but i can see him in a shut-down role on the third pairing especially since we need the balance.

Hedman-Karlsson
Enström-OEL
Kronwall-Edler

But as you said, it's a year left so we'll see if any young-gun can crack the roster. Most importantly though is that Hedman becomes even better than he has been this year, and OEL also.
As you say, Kronwall is great in shut-down, but if that is his purpose that pairing is odd. Edler is really not a shut-down player. He lay good outlet passes and follows up on the blueline. Further on his negative side he can be inconsistent, but thankfully only occasional and mainly on the defensive so he is really not the shut-down guy.

"Problem" (not really) is that all of our defence are rather offensive. That might save Kronwall's spot though. Perhaps a poll about Swedish D-men could be good.

Done. Posted it in the poll section (it is under the NHL, but I only have NHL-players in the poll)
Pick the 6 Swedish D-men for Sochi 2014

Last edited by LiveeviL: 02-16-2013 at 02:11 PM.
LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
As you say, Kronwall is great in shut-down, but if that is his purpose that pairing is odd. Edler is really not a shut-down player. He lay good outlet passes and follows up on the blueline. Further on his negative side he can be inconsistent, but thankfully only occasional and mainly on the defensive so he is really not the shut-down guy.

"Problem" (not really) is that all of our defence are rather offensive. That might save Kronwall's spot though. Perhaps a poll about Swedish D-men could be good.

Done. Posted it in the poll section (it is under the NHL, but I only have NHL-players in the poll)
Pick the 6 Swedish D-men for Sochi 2014
Yeah, one could create a shut-down PAIR as well, but i dont think we have enough of them in the pipe so i think Edler can take care of the offense while Kronwall just dishes it out, almost always in the defensive zone. Edler is quite complete as well so it could work. I'm perhaps more worried about the Enstrom, OEL pairing but as i said, if Oliver becomes just a little bit better than he allready is those guys will be fine. Hedman and Karlsson could be a beast pairing playing 25 minutes a game if one wanted to.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:53 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

So much depth right now.

Lundqvist, Fasth, Lindbäck, Enroth, Hedberg, Gustavsson, Nilstorp.

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Stralman
Enström - Edler
S.Kronwall - N.Kronwall
Hjalmarsson - Oduya
Grossman - Ericsson
Gunnarsson - Tallinder
Larsson - Murray
Brodin - Erixon

Ericsson - Zetterberg - Franzen
Sedin - Sedin - Landeskog
Johansson - Bäckström - Hörnqvist
Steen - Berglund - Hagelin
Alfredsson - Kruger - Stålberg
Silverberg - Backlund - Zibanejad
Pettersson - Lundqvist - MPS
Tedenby - Josefsson - Samuelsson
Ullström, Wandell

Last edited by landskronala: 02-17-2013 at 04:09 AM.
TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:04 AM
joe89

I cannot see Kronwall on a shutdown pair by the true meaning of the word, take my word for it from someone who has watched him play pretty much every game since the 2005 lockout. He's at his best when he's the creative force of his pair, playing with a Stuart type or as far as Swedes go maybe Hjalmarsson. Kronwall paired with EK or Edler would be begging for trouble.

I think people need to wash away Hedman's previous mishaps with the National team and take him for the player he is right now, a rock solid defenseman in his own end. I think he would work fine with Kronwall on a 3rd pair. Karlsson controls the ice in a completely different way, I'm not worried about who he's playing with to be honest.

Right now I'd set it up:
OEL-Karlsson
Edler-Enström
Kronwall-Hedman
Hjalmarsson

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:08 AM
weklof

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
"Problem" (not really) is that all of our defence are rather offensive.
I agree, I would feel more comfortable with at shut-down pairing as the third pair. However, it would be next to impossible to keep one of Karlsson, OEL, Enström, Hedman or Edler of the top-6.

But it would be nice with a Hjalmarsson - Kronwall as a third-pairing.

The way Jonas Brodin has started his NHL career, he might make it difficult to leave him off as well

weklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Huffman

I would love to see a Hjalmarsson - Brodin shutdown pair in future olympic tournaments. I have a feeling they could be great together.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:17 PM
KRM

I'd go with;

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Brodin
Larsson - Enström

Toss up between Edler and Kronwall for 7th spot.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I cannot see Kronwall on a shutdown pair by the true meaning of the word, take my word for it from someone who has watched him play pretty much every game since the 2005 lockout. He's at his best when he's the creative force of his pair, playing with a Stuart type or as far as Swedes go maybe Hjalmarsson. Kronwall paired with EK or Edler would be begging for trouble.

I think people need to wash away Hedman's previous mishaps with the National team and take him for the player he is right now, a rock solid defenseman in his own end. I think he would work fine with Kronwall on a 3rd pair. Karlsson controls the ice in a completely different way, I'm not worried about who he's playing with to be honest.

Right now I'd set it up:
OEL-Karlsson
Edler-Enström
Kronwall-Hedman
Hjalmarsson
I can live with that. I think that actually is what i prefer too now that you've cleared things out. Hjalmarsson as the last one is solid becouse of his defense. Perhaps a little worried about Edler and Enström, but i guess that's why we have Hjalmarsson, "The concusser". Perhaps Enström mainly becomes for the PP.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:25 AM
joe89

Quote:
I can live with that. I think that actually is what i prefer too now that you've cleared things out. Hjalmarsson as the last one is solid becouse of his defense. Perhaps a little worried about Edler and Enström, but i guess that's why we have Hjalmarsson, "The concusser". Perhaps Enström mainly becomes for the PP.
PP1: Karlsson-OEL (Zetterberg unit)
PP2: Edler-Enström (Sedin unit)
PK1: Kronwall-Hedman
PK2: Edler-OEL

I think that would work. Hjalmarsson if dressed obviously PK's.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
I'd go with;

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Brodin
Larsson - Enström

Toss up between Edler and Kronwall for 7th spot.
I really hope Larsson will be ready by 2014. Today my bet is that Brodin might make it. Talent level seem real high there. And when we have so many "offensive" or "small" defenders Hedman must be given a shut down role imo. Kronwall have one advantage right now. It's that he is thought of being the a no. 1 line defenseman. Might boost his career at this point. He's doing prettok so far.

OEL - Karlsson
Kronwall - Enström
Hjalmarsson - Hedman
Brodin or Grossmann

Another developed county problem is our centers. We have Stir Burger, Hank, Backstroke, Pat "can even play with MPS" The Goalscorer, First line Alex and Boston Carl. Six proven european rink players. And Sedins must be given some attitude in the shape of Zetterberg even if they are quite capable angry gremlins in their own right. Problem solved since Steen can wing it any day.

My forward lines for today:

Sedin - Sedin - Zetterberg
Eriksson - Bäckström - Alfredsson / Franzén / Hörnqvist
Hagelin - Berglund - Landeskog (especially proud of this line)
Steen - Söderberg - Silfverberg (best SEL players of the last two seasons)
Krüger

Swedish forwards never had the backup they have now: Lundquist, Whiz Kids, Black Hawks, Wall Of Pain...

Last edited by jfc64: 02-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
joe89

No matter how one forms the lines, you gotta love the emergence of Berglund, Steen and Hagelin. We'll get Steen in his absolute prime, he's a beast right now. Steen-Hagelin should be our #1 PK unit!

Old
02-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
OEL - Karlsson
Kronwall - Enström
Hjalmarsson - Hedman
Brodin or Grossmann
Our defense is not small at all. You simply forgot about Edler. OEL, Kronwall, Hedman and Hjalmarsson are not small, ant not soft. That leaves an ideal backline only with Karlsson and Enstrom undersized, and at least in Karlssons case his playing style is obviously not hindred by that. Enstrom in my mind we mostly have for the PP. If Larsson can overtake Hjalmarsson, it's good.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 02-24-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old
02-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Would love to see Hagelin and Stålberg playing on the same line, those guys would be absolutely lethal together with all their speed, especially as they are likely to be playing in front of defencemen capable of delivering some great break-out passes.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:46 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Our defense is not small at all. You simply forgot about Edler. OEL, Kronwall, Hedman and Hjalmarsson are not small, ant not soft. That leaves an ideal backline only with Karlsson and Enstrom undersized, and at least in Karlssons case his playing style is obviously not hindred by that. Enstrom in my mind we mostly have for the PP. If Larsson can overtake Hjalmarsson, it's good.
I didn't forgot about Edler. My point might be clearer if I say we are vulnerable for the tactics of opposing teams. Don't think Canada will let our light players (sorry Toby Orr, Karlsson, Brodin and OEL) run free... This said I still think we might dress the best "players" more than players that will play "team hockey". We are a high risk option...

Last edited by jfc64: 02-28-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
jfc64

Stålberg doesn't score, even on a top line... didn't he look stale in WC?

Eriksson - Bäckström - Alfredsson / Franzén / Hörnqvist
Silfverberg - Steen - Söderberg
Hagelin - Berglund - Landeskog
Krüger

OEL - Karlsson (pure technology)
Kronwall - Hedman (marriage made in heaven)
Hjalmarsson - Grossmann (relief players)
Brodin or Enström

best players Sweden ever had on a third and fourth line?

Old
03-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Stålberg doesn't score, even on a top line... didn't he look stale in WC?
20+ goals in the NHL (and PPG+ in SEL) isn't scoring to you?

Stålberg is a big body with rocket skates, there would be something very wrong with the team selection if he doesn't make it to the Olympics, particularly if he's overlooked in favour for guys like Silfverberg, Krüger and Söderberg. He brings things that the other forwards we have do not. We have plenty of guys with skill, big guys who can grind and pot a few goals? Not so much.

Anyway, I am going to guess that Joel Lundqvist becomes the token SEL player on this team.

Last edited by Franck: 03-02-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:27 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
20+ goals in the NHL (and PPG+ in SEL) isn't scoring to you?

Stålberg is a big body with rocket skates, there would be something very wrong with the team selection if he doesn't make it to the Olympics, particularly if he's overlooked in favour for guys like Silfverberg, Krüger and Söderberg. He brings things that the other forwards we have do not. We have plenty of guys with skill, big guys who can grind and pot a few goals? Not so much.

Anyway, I am going to guess that Joel Lundqvist becomes the token SEL player on this team.
You're mad if you pick Viktor ahead of Silfverberg. Aha... you're from Gothenburg! Maybe Kahnberg on the team as well?

Top 5 reasons for having Stålberg on the team:

1. His breakthru season in the professional ranks saw him score every fourth game with the Marlies in 2010.
2. His whopping speed (and being as heavy as Bäckström, the fat *******) made it to the WC team in 2012. 9 games he played and he had great success in one of the games, against Denmark, where he scored twice! He also managed another goal later in the tournament. Not to mention an assist.
3. Blackhawks vs Bluejackets are other games where Stålberg shines.
4. Playing on the best team in the world Stålberg is often used together with Krüger, a player whose skills greatly adds to the skills missing from other players on that line. And as a catalyst to the top line, Stålberg occasionally manage to score in the neighbourhood of what other NHL regulars would do together with Toewes and Kane.
5. He sure is a skating fool.

Last edited by jfc64: 03-03-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old
03-03-2013, 01:34 AM
jfc64

Per Mårts said we have players for four whole tems in the NHL and AHL. "Teams" for Sotji:

First team:

Eriksson - Bäckström - Alfredsson / Franzén
Krüger

OEL - Karlsson
Kronwall - Hedman
Hjalmarsson - Grossmann
Enström

Lundquist / Fasth / Lindbäck

Second team:

Zibanejad - Backlund - Hörnqvist
Stålberg - Johansson - Samuelsson
Thörnberg - Järnkrok - Josefson
Persson - Lundquist - Pääjärvi
Andersson (Detroit)

Gunnarsson - Edler
Brodin - Ericsson
Tallinder - Larsson
Oduya

Enroth / Lehner / Markström

Third team:

Nyquist - Larsson - Ullström
Omark - Karlsson - Forsberg
Rasmussen - Lindholm - Fasth
Ericsson - Lander - Pettersson
Kahnberg

Strålman - Kronwall S
Murray - Rundblad
Lindholm - Klefbom
Karlsson M

Gustavsson / Nilstorp / Gustafsson

Fourth team:

Tedenby - Wandell - Pettersson
Lindberg - Engqvist - Rakell
Möller - Sundström - Björklund!
Klingberg - Åslund - Persson J
Rask

Öhlund - Gustafsson
Erixon - Erixon
Ekholm - Nemeth
Almqvist

Hedbä / Nilsson / Dansk

Last edited by jfc64: 03-04-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old
03-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
You're mad if you pick Viktor ahead of Silfverberg. Aha... you're from Gothenburg! Maybe Kahnberg on the team as well?

Top 5 reasons for having Stålberg on the team:

1. His breakthru season in the professional ranks saw him score every fourth game with the Marlies in 2010.
2. His whopping speed (and being as heavy as Bäckström, the fat *******) made it to the WC team in 2012. 9 games he played and he had great success in one of the games, against Denmark, where he scored twice! He also managed another goal later in the tournament. Not to mention an assist.
3. Blackhawks vs Bluejackets are other games where Stålberg shines.
4. Playing on the best team in the world Stålberg is often used together with Krüger, a player whose skills greatly adds to the skills missing from other players on that line. And as a catalyst to the top line, Stålberg occasionally manage to score in the neighbourhood of what other NHL regulars would do together with Toewes and Kane.
5. He sure is a skating fool.
Really laughed at point 2.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Darth Yoda

Either way i dont think we can or will go with afforemost offensive players in our bottom six, or at least the bottom three. We simply cant afford it when some other countries just has way better depth there. So if you can figure out which players not counting our All-Stars that can grind, forecheck and penalty kill well, put your money on those players making the team.