HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 04:34 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
Brought it up before, I am gonna bring it up again: I want the NYR to take Dano with one of the 3rd rounders (if he's still available). Despite Slovan being swept by Dynamo, he's been their hardest working forward by far. Physicality and athleticism is enormous. Kid was not only able to hold his ground in the playoffs against guys 10 yrs older than him (he just turned 18 in November), but to piss them off by being the meanest player on the ice.
Size is not an issue here, he's 6'0 and could grow half an inch or something. Only issue is, he's not sure if he would come to NA to play AHL. He didn't say anything about the NHL, but seeing his interview with HF, you have to think he's willing to come over. I'm more than willing to take that risk. He can be a spark plug in a Top-6 position if he reaches his potential. If he doesn't, he's still an awesome 3rd liner.

Also, he said this in an HF Article:
Quote:
HF: Is there any team you would prefer to draft you?

MD: Tough to say, maybe the New York Rangers.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...national-play/

Last edited by SoftEuro4thLiner: 02-28-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old
02-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Was hugely impressed with Dano at the WJC. Guy made something happen on every shift. Would definitely roll the dice on him if he showed any inclination of coming over.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:50 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Detroit is heavily invested in Dekeyser, they have scouted him fierce for a few years now. It's possible the allure of NY and all World goalie Henke could make him look East.

Schmidt seems like the kind of Dman the Rangers would like, good mobility, excellent puck mover, hard shot. I still can't believe he wasn't drafted. They didn't read my draft preview that year
Yeah, unfortunately it seems like Dekeyser to Detroit is basically a done deal. He's a Michigan kid and also has ties to the Red Wings organization. I think his former coach is now part of the coaching staff.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Feb 28, 2013 10:43a

#NYR Another name to add to the list re: Newport speculation: college free agent D Danny Dekuyser. Newport acts as his advisor

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/s...54051957665792

Old
02-28-2013, 09:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers thought DeKeyser wasn't ready for pro hockey when the Rangers scouted him last season.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Dano is good, everyone pretty much has had good things to say about him this year, he's on the radar. Which means he'll probably never make it to us by the 3rd round.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers thought DeKeyser wasn't ready for pro hockey when the Rangers scouted him last season.
So he should fit right in ?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

February 25,2012

Quote:
Spoke to a New York Rangers scout who was there to watch Dan DeKeyser, Matt Tennyson and Jordie Johnston, who scored Ferris States goal in regulation. Asked if he felt DeKeyser was ready to turn pro, the scout shook his head. I have a defenseman from Sweden, kid named Erixon, who I absolutely love and hes just like five out there. Same build. And hes getting eaten alive in the American League right now. The scout said that DeKeyser has the brains and the hands, but not yet the leg and upper-body strength to stay afloat during the long war of a professional season.
http://broncohockeyhotstove.com/2012...-friday-night/

DeKeyser wears #5.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Joey Bones

Dano is an excellent pickup, but knowing that most teams are interested in him kinda defeats the purpose of him being in the 3rd round. If he is in the 3rd round, snag 'em, but I think the Rangers would look for something else with their 2nd.

Dekeyser is most likely going to Detroit. Highly doubt he'll come here.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

I did not read the whole thread, but I did not see the Rangers associated with any of the top undrafted FA's.
Nate Schmidt would look pretty good in a ranger uniform.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Sustr playing on NBC sports right now.

Wisconsin vs Nebraska-Omaha

DU vs Minnesota(Skjei/Schmidt) on BTN at 8EST.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I did not read the whole thread, but I did not see the Rangers associated with any of the top undrafted FA's.
Nate Schmidt would look pretty good in a ranger uniform.
Yeah it's been discussed throughout the thread, but yes Nate Schmidt would be sought for IMO.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Sustr playing on NBC sports right now.

Wisconsin vs Nebraska-Omaha

DU vs Minnesota(Skjei/Schmidt) on BTN at 8EST.
Damn it!! I missed the games, how did they look?

Old
03-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Damn it!! I missed the games, how did they look?
I watched the 2nd and 3rd periods of Wisconsin - NO game.
Sustr looked pretty decent, skates well enough, scored a goal. But has few things to work on. He still looks a little uncoordinated at times. He made a couple of mistakes. He got called for a holding penalty, he needs to learn how to position his body for better effect. He is big, needs to learn to use his size. He will have trouble with quick, twitchy forwards.
He has potential, but not a finished product IMO.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Dano is good, everyone pretty much has had good things to say about him this year, he's on the radar. Which means he'll probably never make it to us by the 3rd round.
There is no chance he lasts until the 3rd.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There is no chance he lasts until the 3rd.
Agreed

Old
03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Sustr looked pretty decent, skates well enough, scored a goal. But has few things to work on. He still looks a little uncoordinated at times. He made a couple of mistakes. He got called for a holding penalty, he needs to learn how to position his body for better effect. He is big, needs to learn to use his size. He will have trouble with quick, twitchy forwards.
Thanks for the info man!!

The things he needs work on seem to be something I think being in the AHL could help improve. Beukeboom could mold that into him maybe, but perfect practice makes perfect

Old
03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Joey Bones

Speaking of Beukeboom, should we go after Brock?

Old
03-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I was at the Minnesota game last night. Skjei had limited ice time as he's on the bottom d pair, but he looked good in the few minutes he had.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He made a good read on that goal, pinching in and following the rebound.

Sustr has alot to work with. But he's 22 yrs old and still rounding out that 6'8 frame. His defense needs work, Bones was right, give him someone like Beuk in Hartford and see what happens.

Also of interest in that game:
Ryan Walters, FA Senior U of NO, one of NCAA top scorers. I really like the offensive tools, very tenacious player and a leader. Has great instincts on the PP.

Bryce Aneloski, RH Dman, U of NO. Nice RH shot on his PP goal, Ottawa 7th rounder in 2010. Rangers took McNaught 6 picks before this guy!?

Mark Zengerle, RH Forward, U of Wisc, hails from Rochester. I really liked how much energy and skill he brings to the table. Makes things happen offensively, playmaker. Undrafted.

Frankie Simonelli, RH Dman U of Wisc. I can't believe this guy only has 6 pts in 33 games this season? Seems like they have put him in more of a defensive role this year. He has one of the best breakout passes in all of College. And his offensive zone passes and shots are hard and quick, not alot of 2nd guessing with this guy. And he plays a tough game for his size.

Brendan Woods, LH Forward U of Wisc. 6'3 Power forward, looks good setting up from the top of the hashmarks and in down low. North south typical PF player but I like his motor. Carolina '12 5th rounder, 10 picks after Calle Andersson.

Around the NCAA:
Harvard vs Quinnipiac, Great 2-1 OT game, Hartzell was very good once again, but Crimson goalie Raphael Girard was equal to the task. Harvard freshman 1st line Center from Choate-CT looks very impressive. Small, but he's got a good case of the dangles, should have had at least another two goals but Hartzell was good.

Juho Olkinuora, G DU, shutout high powered Minny Gophers, that kids gonna get alot of Pro offers after this year.

Matt Nieto with the hat trick vs Vermont. BU goalie Sean Maguire(Pens 4th rounder, 113 overall '12) made 49 of 50 saves and gets 2nd star. SJ '12 5th rounder Danny O'Regan is an offensive machine it seems, 18 yr old leads BU in scoring.

Boston wins 3-2 over Providence. Gaudreau, Whitney and Mullane leading the way, but again, Mike Matheson(Panthers '12 1st rounder, #23 overall, 5 picks before Brady Skjei) freshman Dman does it all for that team. Tough defensive play and very good PP QB, can't say enough about this kid. He was known for his tough defensive play up until this season, what a breakout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Speaking of Beukeboom, should we go after Brock?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
I was at the Minnesota game last night. Skjei had limited ice time as he's on the bottom d pair, but he looked good in the few minutes he had.
Yeah, he looks good at times cause of his skating but he still has some things to learn about positioning. I'm not sure he understands how to use his defensive partners just yet. He overcompensates towards his partners side defending the rush. He knows he's a good skater but he tries to cover too much ice. He's young enough, he'll hopefully learn from his mistakes. If he were a Senior we'd be in trouble.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...YZK/story.html

BC gushing over Matheson, compares him to Kreider.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Joey Bones

I mean it's a little early to say this, but I'm starting to get worried about Skjei. Limited ice time and being a healthy scratch a couple of times and not really putting up numbers is making me think twice on the pick. I hope it'll just be this year and he'll move up in the ranks, but idk.

Stressed

Edit: And not putting up numbers doesn't mean he's not performing well, but it leaves thoughts in the back of my mind.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
He made a good read on that goal, pinching in and following the rebound.

Sustr has alot to work with. But he's 22 yrs old and still rounding out that 6'8 frame. His defense needs work, Bones was right, give him someone like Beuk in Hartford and see what happens.

Also of interest in that game:
Ryan Walters, FA Senior U of NO, one of NCAA top scorers. I really like the offensive tools, very tenacious player and a leader. Has great instincts on the PP.

Bryce Aneloski, RH Dman, U of NO. Nice RH shot on his PP goal, Ottawa 7th rounder in 2010. Rangers took McNaught 6 picks before this guy!?

Mark Zengerle, RH Forward, U of Wisc, hails from Rochester. I really liked how much energy and skill he brings to the table. Makes things happen offensively, playmaker. Undrafted.

Frankie Simonelli, RH Dman U of Wisc. I can't believe this guy only has 6 pts in 33 games this season? Seems like they have put him in more of a defensive role this year. He has one of the best breakout passes in all of College. And his offensive zone passes and shots are hard and quick, not alot of 2nd guessing with this guy. And he plays a tough game for his size.

Brendan Woods, LH Forward U of Wisc. 6'3 Power forward, looks good setting up from the top of the hashmarks and in down low. North south typical PF player but I like his motor. Carolina '12 5th rounder, 10 picks after Calle Andersson.

Around the NCAA:
Harvard vs Quinnipiac, Great 2-1 OT game, Hartzell was very good once again, but Crimson goalie Raphael Girard was equal to the task. Harvard freshman 1st line Center from Choate-CT looks very impressive. Small, but he's got a good case of the dangles, should have had at least another two goals but Hartzell was good.

Juho Olkinuora, G DU, shutout high powered Minny Gophers, that kids gonna get alot of Pro offers after this year.

Matt Nieto with the hat trick vs Vermont. BU goalie Sean Maguire(Pens 4th rounder, 113 overall '12) made 49 of 50 saves and gets 2nd star. SJ '12 5th rounder Danny O'Regan is an offensive machine it seems, 18 yr old leads BU in scoring.

Boston wins 3-2 over Providence. Gaudreau, Whitney and Mullane leading the way, but again, Mike Matheson(Panthers '12 1st rounder, #23 overall, 5 picks before Brady Skjei) freshman Dman does it all for that team. Tough defensive play and very good PP QB, can't say enough about this kid. He was known for his tough defensive play up until this season, what a breakout.
Great read BN. Thanks for the new names

I don't really watch a lot of NCAA hockey so I only know a handful of names. And I am really interested in a goalie for the Rangers so I know I ask for "scouting reports" on players I don't know a lot on this thread. I just personally want to thank you and others for helping me stay updated with all this Free Agent prospect watch.

With this being said, I gotta ask ya BN. Who's Juho Olkinuora?

Old
03-03-2013, 12:39 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nate Schmidt is someone I'd really like, but after getting burned by Schultz I don't want to get my hopes up.

Exactly the kind of player we need, though.

Would be even better if he were a right-handed shot.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:55 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Nate Schmidt is someone I'd really like, but after getting burned by Schultz I don't want to get my hopes up.

Exactly the kind of player we need, though.

Would be even better if he were a right-handed shot.
Burned by Schultz?? Am I missing something here; he was drafted by Anaheim and signed w/Oilers, how were NYR burned by Schultz Anaheim was the aggrieved party getting burned

Closed Thread