HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake Gardiner Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
zeke
#freewilly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Neither is Kostka.
Kostka's been very good all year.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
ACC1224
Working too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Kostka's been very good all year.
He had his moments early. Last while it's been more bad than good, never very good.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:48 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
He had his moments early. Last while it's been more bad than good, never very good.
I agree. First few games he was a wonderful surprise as of right now he tries to do a little too much on the ice. Less might be better for him.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Gardiner has been playing very well for the Marlies and deserves to be on this roster. He was certainly out-playing Kostka prior to his injury. The only logical reason he is not, at the moment, is because he is the only waiver exempt player of the bunch. You're not going to sit there and tell me Kostka is a better player than Gardiner, are you? And don't sit there using the "coach says" foolishness. We don't have the luxury of conversing with Carlyle so provide your own opinion.

This has nothing to do with Liles and Komisarek. As I said, they can continue to sit in the pressbox. Gardiner was sent down on a conditioning stint and has not been brought up due to the logjam of NHL contracts, as you said. But I would much prefer Kostka be a casualty of the numbers game than Gardiner.

I will not lament the loss of Mike Kostka from our organization when we have a much better option on the farm who made the all-rookie squad last season. The honeymoon is over. The team will not miss him.
Bottom line is past GM mistakes of Liles and Komisarek are the ones blocking Gardiner from playing in the NHL at present.

Asset management on Nonis' part is not going to toss Kostka a player his coach prefers to play on waivers just so Jake can return to the NHL at present.

Even if you want Kostka tossed out and lost doesn't mean that is what Nonis nor Carlyle are going to do.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Raging Bull
Future

Kostka, Gunnarson and Fraser are all good defenseman and they give us safe minutes, but we really need another guy on the back-end who can make things happen out there offensively. Phaneuf and Franson the only guys who can do that right now.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:55 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

gardiner and kulimen for a signed perry

Old
02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
If Gardiner was an NHL ready defenceman and better than Kostka, there is no reason he wouldnt be on the team today?
So Gardiner wasnt sent back down for conditioning then? Two entirely different situations, Gardiner came back from a concusion too early, and need more seasoning accroding the coach. Now Reilly, who apparantly is the better NHL defenceman than Gardiner, who has never played a game in the NHL many seem to forget, still couldnt beat our Gardiner for a spot. Strange isnt it??

Old
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
It was the point I was trying to make, that there are reasons that an inferior will be on the NHL roster over a superior player.
Are you suggesting that Gardiner is an inferior NHLer comapred to the superior Reilly? What some fail to respond to, is the simple fact when and once Reilly starts playing at the NHL level, he will then be judged on his level of play in that League. To this point he has not proven to anyone he can play at a high level at the NHL, yet many here say this with certainty, with nothing to base it on. The coach himeslef believes he has to work on some things, yet many must know more than Carlyle bacuse Reilly is a proven NHL, heck even better than Gardiner.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
gardiner and kulimen for a signed perry
Thing is, were not trading for a signed Perry, were trading for a UFA Perry. So no. It will never be trading for a signed Perry either.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:16 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550

This is the kinda play that pretty much only Jake Gardiner can make on our roster. Mobility from the blueline is gamechanging..

I miss Gardiner

Old
03-01-2013, 12:45 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
Is Gardiner ready to be called up yet?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:51 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Send down that dumb ox Holzer and bring up Gardiner

Old
03-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Is Gardiner ready to be called up yet?
Probably.

But the Marlies have games on Saturday and Sunday @ 3:00. So if he does get the call, It would be on Monday morning most likely.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
So Gardiner wasnt sent back down for conditioning then? Two entirely different situations, Gardiner came back from a concusion too early, and need more seasoning accroding the coach. Now Reilly, who apparantly is the better NHL defenceman than Gardiner, who has never played a game in the NHL many seem to forget, still couldnt beat our Gardiner for a spot. Strange isnt it??
So there are other factors besides who is a better player that can determine who ends up on the roster. (injuries, contract status, etc.)

Maybe the staff though Rielly was better but management didn't want to burn a year of his ELC on a short season. (I don't actually know or think this to be true, just a possibility)

I wasn't trying making to make a comment on the relative merits of specific players. All I was trying to do was refute the simplistic notion that the better player will always get the roster spot, there are other determining factors.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Kesselfan97

Send down Kostka, Call up Gardiner???

thoughts?

Old
Didact
lucky number 13

they can't. He's subject to waivers.

Old
Woll Smoth

vCash: 50
Waivers

Old
03-03-2013, 12:11 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

i find it odd that the 2nd pairing guys are more vulnerable than the 3rd pairing guys

Old
03-03-2013, 12:15 AM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselfan97 View Post
thoughts?
Why? Kostka is clearly a favourite of RC's, he's not on the bubble.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Stephen

He's a right handed teacher's pet. No.

I find it weird that with all the success Kadri is finally having that they've decided to bury another super talented kid in the minors over some ****** little technicality about waivers.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Kesselfan97

picture this though
Phaneuf - Gardiner
Frasor - Holzer

Old
03-03-2013, 12:22 AM
LeafOfBread

Would rather send down Holzer. Waiver exempt and Kostka has looked better than him imo.

The only thing we really lose is net presence, what I really like about Holzer is that he's mean in front of the net, but when someone super skilled like Gardiner is down in the minors it's an easy trade off

Old
03-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Stephen

I'm just not sure what Carlyle objects to in Gardiner so much to keep him toiling away. I guess he's not lunch pail enough for him with his effortless skating, fancy stickhandling and generally un-blue collar ways to warrant being sat out in favour of a couple of right handed dmen like Kostka and Holzer. It's baffling he isn't getting some guaranteed playing time ahead of Gunnarsson and Fraser.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:32 AM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
He's a right handed teacher's pet. No.

I find it weird that with all the success Kadri is finally having that they've decided to bury another super talented kid in the minors over some ****** little technicality about waivers.
Perhaps all that time he spent in the minors helped him be the player he is now?

Old
03-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Not yet. He looked great on the PP tonight according to many but he stills need work defensively. He's almost ready but not there IMO. We can take our time with him and let him refine his skill as much as possible. He's offensive and skating wise ready but his defensive game and vision on the ice can improve. Yes I know he can skate himself out of the position but I rather let him do that as a last resort.