HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 22 |Chicago Blackhawks @ Detroit Red Wings | 12:30 PM EST | NBC

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 09:02 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Sweet... I can now check "being identified as a fool" off the ol' bucket list! Bob, I'll bet you're a regular teddy bear outside of the HF universe... a teddy bear who hates virtually everyone!

I get what you're saying about Cleary possibly working on a top 6 line with 2 skilled players. I could see him as a winger with Malkin and Neal, with Shero constantly looking for an upgrade for that spot in the lineup. Considering that apart from putting D and Z together, we can't pull off 2 elite players on the same line, so he doesn't belong on a top 6 line on this team.
You think Abs belongs? Say it ain't so, BT

Under the circumstances, if it was Cleary Datsyuk Tatar... I could support it.

I think it's high time that people take another hard look at Abdelkader and what he actually brings.
By accident, with the amount of time he plays, he should have 5 or 6 points. I honestly can't comprehend how he only has 1 point in 35 games, or whatever... that is absolutely astonishing

Old
03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post

I think it's high time that people take another hard look at Abdelkader and what he actually brings.
By accident, with the amount of time he plays, he should have 5 or 6 points. I honestly can't comprehend how he only has 1 point in 35 games, or whatever... that is absolutely astonishing
I'd support Gator Datsyuk Tatar. I can't support anything that includes Cleary on the top 2 lines. And yeah it's ridiculous that Gator has like 1 point. I just hope that Sheahan has more offensive game when his time comes.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I'd support Gator Datsyuk Tatar. I can't support anything that includes Cleary on the top 2 lines. And yeah it's ridiculous that Gator has like 1 point. I just hope that Sheahan has more offensive game when his time comes.
At least Cleary has a history of producing offensively in the NHL, Abdelkader does nothing.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
At least Cleary has a history of producing offensively in the NHL, Abdelkader does nothing.
He's physical, can skate, hit, doesn't fall down and turnover the puck all the time. He can actually win a battle in a corner too!

Old
03-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post

Do I think Abby belongs on Datsyuk's line?!

Attachment 61533

Man, I sincerely hope that any of my warranted Cleary criticisms haven't come across as an endorsement for Abdelkader as a legitimate top 6 player! Abby belongs on on the 4th line. He's a terrible offensive hockey player. He's a decent skater and a lightweight hitter, should make him a career energy line guy for us or anywhere else.

You're right- it is quite the accomplishment to still only have 1 point, despite a handful of games on Datsyuk's wing. You'd think Pavel would have bounced a pass to himself off Abby's skates on purpose before scoring, or something along those lines, at least once in the past few games to give Abby a cheap assist.

Last edited by Brick Top: 07-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
He's physical, can skate, hit, doesn't fall down and turnover the puck all the time. He can actually win a battle in a corner too!
Cool. Maybe he can help the Griffins 3rd line.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Cool. Maybe he can help the Griffins 3rd line.
And maybe Cleary can help the Griffins 4th line.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
And maybe Cleary can help the Griffins 4th line.
I doubt it. But seriously what has Abdelkader done that any other 4th line scrub couldn't do? Drew Miller was picked off of waivers and he's been better every season.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
I doubt it. But seriously what has Abdelkader done that any other 4th line scrub couldn't do? Drew Miller was picked off of waivers and he's been better every season.
I honestly have no idea why people ever got excited by abdelkader. He's never done anything special to warrant it. It's gotta be a combination of hometown boy and people associating him with Helm. The guys a fourth line plug, nothing more.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
The only thing Abby is more than Miller is $$ and fights.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:41 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I honestly have no idea why people ever got excited by abdelkader. He's never done anything special to warrant it. It's gotta be a combination of hometown boy and people associating him with Helm. The guys a fourth line plug, nothing more.
Those two goals he scored in the 09 Cup Finals gave people false hope. I have never been a fan of his. His so called physical game is abysmal. Corey Emmerton had a bigger hit a few nights ago against Vancouver than Abdelkader has had his entire career. He doesn't wear you down with his physicality. He is fake tough.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Those two goals he scored in the 09 Cup Finals gave people false hope. I have never been a fan of his. His so called physical game is abysmal. Corey Emmerton had a bigger hit a few nights ago against Vancouver than Abdelkader has had his entire career. He doesn't wear you down with his physicality. He is fake tough.
Yeah the whole 'Abdelkader would've won us the cup had he stayed in' was interesting.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
cupforwings09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
It's really simple.

Because somewhere, deep inside of me, there is a belief that this franchise could change its identity and be built more like the 90's teams (but of course with a tweak to fit the salary cap world)

I DO NOT like watching losers like cleary and abdelkader ruin pavels last good years
I DO NOT like watching a team where only one player can stand up and defend himself (before this season they didn't have a guy like that permanently on the roster for I don't know how many years
I DO NOT like watching a team build around small, skilled, non-physical european players
I DO NOT like watching the GM keep re-signing old useless guys which are past their primes many years ago

I could go on and on but that would be pointless I think
Then go pick a team to root for that fits all your criteria.

This team is still winning despite all the things this team needs to do. Quit being a little whiney b***h, and think positively for once!

Old
03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Yeah the whole 'Abdelkader would've won us the cup had he stayed in' was interesting.
Well he would have!

Honestly, I have nothing against Abdelkader but I don't think he's half the player he was expected to be when he first broke in a few years ago. I remember at the time people expected him to play in the top six full time. That obviously isn't worth happening.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Well he would have!

Honestly, I have nothing against Abdelkader but I don't think he's half the player he was expected to be when he first broke in a few years ago. I remember at the time people expected him to play in the top six full time. That obviously isn't worth happening.
Ranger fans did the same thing with Chris Kreider last year. Hyped him up to be part of their core for this year after one flukey playoff performance.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupforwings09 View Post
Then go pick a team to root for that fits all your criteria.

This team is still winning despite all the things this team needs to do. Quit being a little whiney b***h, and think positively for once!
Still winning? Barely. They might even miss the playoffs this year. In a league where 50%+ of the teams make the playoffs every year.

It's not being whiny to call out problems with the team. That's called the first step towards improvement. Admitting there's a problem. You're practicing denial.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:03 AM
cupforwings09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Still winning? Barely. They might even miss the playoffs this year. In a league where 50%+ of the teams make the playoffs every year.

It's not being whiny to call out problems with the team. That's called the first step towards improvement. Admitting there's a problem. You're practicing denial.
Dude, what are you talking about? Look at the standings. Every other team, besides the Hawks, is "barely" winning. I 100% agree that our team can get better, but complaining about everything this team doesn't have is stupid. Every team in the league has flaws. This team is competitive despite our injuries. That says something about this team.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Quote:
But he doesn't put up points, which, to simple-minded hockey fans, is everything.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupforwings09 View Post
Dude, what are you talking about? Look at the standings. Every other team, besides the Hawks, is "barely" winning. I 100% agree that our team can get better, but complaining about everything this team doesn't have is stupid. Every team in the league has flaws. This team is competitive despite our injuries. That says something about this team.
What...

Ducks? Bruins? Habs? Sens? Nucks?

There are a lot of teams that are just flat out better than the Wings. With a record to prove it. Don't even start with the injury crap. So you really think getting Sammy back or putting Carlo on our blue line is going to win us games? The only guy that would make any difference at all is Helm. And every team has injuries. Karlsson, Malkin, Kessler. Big players getting injured all over the place. On teams with better records than us.

Every team has flaws. Some teams have more than others. This Wings team is average at best. Once other teams catch up with our games played, we'll see that the Wings sitting at #13 in the league standings is inflated. They might even be in the lower half of the league.

If you're the Hawks or the Ducks, then complaining seems pretty pointless. You can't have a team of all stars. But if you're the Wings and you're barely making the playoffs at best then there is plenty to address. I'm not going to tell my kids they have nothing to work on when they come home with an F or come in last place. I'm not going to call them losers either but I'll sure as hell encourage them to improve themselves. And when it's not kids but a professional sports team with players making millions of dollars, I'm definitely going to point out things they need to do better.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
But he doesn't put up points, which, to simple-minded hockey fans, is everything.
Uh yeah. Us simple minded hockey fans expect that if you're playing on the top six with Pavel Datsyuk and getting power play time, you better get more than one point in 21 games.

Crazy right?

Never mind your ridiculous straw man. People here regularly point out that Brunner needs to work on his strength and defense, even if he leads the team in goals. Obviously points aren't everything. But you have to be a giant idiot if you don't think they have a lot of importance when judging scoring line players.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

As of late, Abdelkader has been worse than Cleary. Frankly, comparing the two throughout their shared years on the team, Abdelkader comes up significantly shorter. If I had to pick one to put on Pavel's line, it'd be Cleary. Both of them being on his line is like giving Datsyuk creative cyanide.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Uh yeah. Us simple minded hockey fans expect that if you're playing on the top six with Pavel Datsyuk and getting power play time, you better get more than one point in 21 games.

Crazy right?

Never mind your ridiculous straw man. People here regularly point out that Brunner needs to work on his strength and defense, even if he leads the team in goals. Obviously points aren't everything. But you have to be a giant idiot if you don't think they have a lot of importance when judging scoring line players.
I see I touched a nerve with this one. Thou doth protest too much.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Edge of Sanity*

Abdelkader is hands down the worst player on the team. He does absolutely nothing to help the team win. The only time I ever remember him doing stuff is when he's turning the puck over in the defensive zone and the team gets scored on as a result of it. Just in the last week this happened against Vancouver and SJ as a direct result of his stone hands and terrible awareness.

I will also never forget him taking nine billion high sticking penalties against SJ in the playoffs two years ago.

I seriously hate that the guy is still in the lineup every day. He's absolute trash and I'd rather see anyone in his place, even if it's Ian White playing forward.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:27 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeghoul View Post
Abdelkader is hands down the worst player on the team. He does absolutely nothing to help the team win. The only time I ever remember him doing stuff is when he's turning the puck over in the defensive zone and the team gets scored on as a result of it. Just in the last week this happened against Vancouver and SJ as a direct result of his stone hands and terrible awareness.

I will also never forget him taking nine billion high sticking penalties against SJ in the playoffs two years ago.

I seriously hate that the guy is still in the lineup every day. He's absolute trash and I'd rather see anyone in his place, even if it's Ian White playing forward.
I agree with you that Abdelkader is pretty horrible, but I can't hate the guy. It's not his fault Holland overpays him and Babcock has full on dementia. What do you want him to do, refuse the inflated contract and playing time?

Old
03-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Edge of Sanity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
I agree with you that Abdelkader is pretty horrible, but I can't hate the guy. It's not his fault Holland overpays him and Babcock has full on dementia. What do you want him to do, refuse the inflated contract and playing time?
I never said I hated him; I don't hate anyone on the Wings. I just said I hate that he's still in the lineup every day.

Closed Thread