HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would the Maple Leafs trade Phil Kessel to the Ducks in exchange for Corey Perry?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Skeptix

vCash: 500
I think we see Kadri with Kessel by the end of this month. Kadri keeps playing like he is, and then placed with Kessel and JVR/Lupul; that would create one hell of a deadly line.

Lup/JVR - Kadri - Kessel
JVR/Lup - Bozak - Frattin
McClement - Grabo? - Kulemin/Mac?

Though I fully believe Grabovski and Mac need to go. Grabo is just in the middle, and doesn't serve this team well anymore. IDK where we would find a #2, but IMO he is the odd man out. We need a bigger center that can pass and backcheck well, basically a better Bozak (who can go to the 3rd line). I really don't think we need some star #1C. I'd hate to be the one to go all homer and put all of my hope into Kadri, but he's damn good. Playoffs may be attainable, but there's no way we're making a SC run. Next year is where we'll shine.

Skeptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
I wouldn't say bad.But have you watched the last few games.
So based on his performance over the last four games you are willing to trade last seasons 6th best point getter for a rental player? This place is just too much sometimes.

If we can resign Perry long term, then yes. If not, then no. Pretty simple

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:40 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
So based on his performance over the last four games you are willing to trade last seasons 6th best point getter for a rental player? This place is just too much sometimes.

If we can resign Perry long term, then yes. If not, then no. Pretty simple
Is a simple case of shoe size twelve hat size three with some of these guys.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptix View Post
I think we see Kadri with Kessel by the end of this month. Kadri keeps playing like he is, and then placed with Kessel and JVR/Lupul; that would create one hell of a deadly line.

Lup/JVR - Kadri - Kessel
JVR/Lup - Bozak - Frattin
McClement - Grabo? - Kulemin/Mac?

Though I fully believe Grabovski and Mac need to go. Grabo is just in the middle, and doesn't serve this team well anymore. IDK where we would find a #2, but IMO he is the odd man out. We need a bigger center that can pass and backcheck well, basically a better Bozak (who can go to the 3rd line). I really don't think we need some star #1C. I'd hate to be the one to go all homer and put all of my hope into Kadri, but he's damn good. Playoffs may be attainable, but there's no way we're making a SC run. Next year is where we'll shine.
Wrong on all four counts otherwise an excellent post.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Skeptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Wrong on all four counts otherwise an excellent post.
How come? He does the same **** Kessel does on the rush 85% of the time. Grabo back checks well, but for a 2C, we need to do better and I'd prefer to have Bozak, not him, in the 3C when all is said and done.

Skeptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:23 PM
CoveySteele

As much as I don't enjoy Cox (or ever participate in discussion about his articles) I think that moving Kessel would be the best thing possible for this team so long as the return was fair.

His compete level comes into question regularly, he is soft along the boards, doesn't ever throw his weight, but worst of all is how he can drag the whole teams energy down.

I know people have felt it. He gets the puck on a turn over in the neutral zone, drives hard to the outside, your stomach knots for a second in anticipation of something awesome, and he shoots it in the crest or drives wide and is pushed off the puck towards the point.

I'm aware that no one on this team has his game changing release and that it may be top 5 in the league, but I think what we can get in return for him from a team that is in need of his services far outweighs his value to this franchise.

CoveySteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

I too have been thinking this. If only he could take a page out of Kadri's book. With his speed he could be a crushing hitter.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:40 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
That's your campaign? That no one should hate him?
Or maybe he was just responding to your comment that no one hates him?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
I too have been thinking this. If only he could take a page out of Kadri's book. With his speed he could be a crushing hitter.
A leopard never changes its spots.

Kessel is what he is, and that isn't going to change any time soon. A team has to be willing to live with all his flaws, in order to get the goals and offense he can generate.

03-02-2013, 01:48 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
A leopard never changes its spots.

Kessel is what he is, and that isn't going to change any time soon. A team has to be willing to live with all his flaws, in order to get the goals and offense he can generate.
Kessel wasn't ever known for play making and now he is.Kessel wasn't supposed to pass the puck and now he does it with relative ease. Not saying he's that brute 2 way forward that people insist he MUST become but the guy has changed

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
bunjay

Teams legitimately competing for the Cup would be the ones offering up enticing trades for a Perry rental. The Leafs are not one of those teams.

But lets be realistic. The Ducks are 15-3-1 right now, they have good reason to think they are one of the teams looking at a run for the Cup. So far they have the second best goal differential in the league (+17) behind a team that is currently smashing records. Why would they trade Perry at all?

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:58 AM
darrylsittler27

At the beginning of the season this made sense.

With both teams winning,it just wont happen.It kills two winning teams chemistry.The good news,Kessel is welcome,at a lower price than he thought.Kessel is a $6 million dollar long termer now.We just need to sign him to 8 years.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Perry is an UFA this off-season, so why lose assets for something that could only cost money. I just don't see the value in this move.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:30 AM
mt99808

I'd gladly trade Kessel + Gardner if Perry came with an extension. No knock on Gardner ....just how little i think of Kessel.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:37 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Or maybe he was just responding to your comment that no one hates him?
Ahso.... Sometimes I get lost in the point of the discussion. I stand corrected. Cheers man.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:40 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i cant see perry becoming as a UFA
- think of it as a player you trade for and sign soon after

he's the perfect winger for kadri

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

The thpught of Perry with Kadri would be enticing.

Kessel and Grabo for Perry and Jonas Hiller.

I wouldn't be shocked if Leafs are interested in Hiller.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:47 AM
rdawg1234

Only way I want to get him is through UFA or a very soft trade, otherwise he'd cost far too much, a kessel for perry deal while a slight upgrade, is barely worth making and hurts chemistry.

However, if he does get to UFA and comes to us, we become at the very least a top 5 east team, if not a deep playoff contender(not a cup contender, but getting very close.)

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Drmckool
Truculence!

If only both Perry and Getzlaf became UFA and came to Toronto.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote