HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Carey Price Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 11:49 PM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
to each their own... personally I'm glad we have Price in nets for the next 5 years & hopefully more after that.

Kid is close to as good as you're going to get.

a few bad nights or a few bad goals don't change that... but it would be nice to see him go on a nice streak to shut up some of the detractors.
I think Price is a very very good goalie, he is unspectacular and that is good. That is under appreciated here.

But we need him, just now and then, say every 10-15 games, to win one for us on his own, when we play crap. It is not a lot to ask. Every good NHL goalie does this, and Price should too.

Also, there is no excuse for losing a game when your team scores 6. There just is not. And Price knows this, I'm sure.

A good goalie can lose you a few games a year that you deserve to win, but he should win you a few a year too, that you deserve to lose. And Price has not done that this year, or much at all.

I think that's all guys are saying here. No one is saying Price is crap.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Saintpatrick

Is Price a franchise goalie? Yes

Is Price a top 5 goalie in the league? I'd say so

Is Price a Vezina caliber goalie? Yep he sure is

Will Price carry this team on his shoulders on route to a cup a la Roy? Maybe one day

Price has an understated way of goal tending. He makes the hard saves look easy without alot of flair. He is a star in this league but honestly I can't remember the last time he really stood on his head and stole a game for us.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:52 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Wins
Price
Rask
Bryzgalov
Wins is in direct relation with the number of games started and the quality of the team in front. It's not the best way to gauge the play of a goalie.

A better stat than win would be winning %. You'd then notice Price is not in the top 3 for goalies who have played over 10 games.

Quote:
GAA
10 or more games

Crawford
Anderson
Rask

15 or more games
Niemi
Rinne
Price
I don't know where you guys take your stats but they're wrong.

Price is 4th for GAA amongst goalies who have played 15 games. Even by cherry picking to the extreme and raising the amount of games played to 15, you can't find a stat in which Price is top 3, and GAA is the 2nd most team based stat after win. You'd expect Price's GAA to be amongst the very best considering we allow the 4th fewest shots per game.

Quote:
SV%
10 or more games

Anderson
Niemi
Crawford

15 or more games
Anderson
Niemi
Rinne
S% is the most commonly accepted stat to evaluate a goalie's performance and Price is 16th for goalies with 10 games played.

Quote:
we can argue round and round about what stats reflect a goalies performance, but unless you can assert that you've actually watched a high volume of a large number of NHL starting goalies this year... or have some complex detailed statistical analysis clearly backing up your top-3...
I don't think I need to have watched a lot of games or have a complex detailed stat analysis. I think it's obvious enough that Price hasn't been top 3. Can you in good faith tell me he has played like a top 3 despite not being top in 3 in any goalie stat other than win, a stat which is mostly a factor of how many games he has started and how good the habs are this season.

Quote:
the certainty of Price NOT being top-3 you cling to is pure speculation... and ignores the simple statistical reality that, right now, fewer than 3 goalies in the league win as much or keep the puck out of the net/game as well as he has this year.
Do you claim he has been top 3 ?

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I think Price is a very very good goalie, he is unspectacular and that is good. That is under appreciated here.

But we need him, just now and then, say every 10-15 games, to win one for us on his own, when we play crap. It is not a lot to ask. Every good NHL goalie does this, and Price should too.

Also, there is no excuse for losing a game when your team scores 6. There just is not. And Price knows this, I'm sure.

A good goalie can lose you a few games a year that you deserve to win, but he should win you a few a year too, that you deserve to lose. And Price has not done that this year, or much at all.

I think that's all guys are saying here. No one is saying Price is crap.
Well said

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:56 PM
gillings

Price just looks like he goes to work every day now..

I have not seen him with the passion/flare/energy he once had when he first came into the league and when he won ahl championship and worlds..

That goalie is gone..

Now he's just a mature, go to the office and shut my mouth type of guy...

I liked it when subban had flare as well...

They ****ed up both of our best players because they were to flashy.. **** THE NHL

0_0 haha I went a litle overboard.

gillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:59 PM
CN_paladin

Price's body language showed that he looked completely discouraged and beat right after Sutter's OT goal.

He's gotta be better than below average if we were to make it past the first round of the playoffs.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:00 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
The team was pretty bad tonight. Price wasn't great, but he was hardly the reason we lost. He still hasn't stolen a game though.
Actually, he was the reason we lost tonight. Even a mediocre game from Price and we get the W. I don't mind this, it happens, but don't excuse it, it's real.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:02 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
please tell me that this was just a mental slip up?

or do you really consider Quick's 1 very good playoff run to be more "proof" than Brodeur's resume
I wasn't trying to rank them on their whole body of work. Obviously, Brodeur becomes first if that is the case. I was mostly just taking into account that Brodeur is a million years old.

Quote:
Lundqvist and Rinne have both proven to be unable to carry over regular season success to playoff success, much like Price.
So that's a wash. Certainly not an area where Price stands out positively in comparison with them. So you then have to look at regular season to rank them.

Quote:
at the same age, Rinne had "proven" himself enough to have played 1 NHL game.
Lundqvist had 1 solid regular season (30 wins/53 games), followed by a brutal 0-3, .835sv % playoff outing.

until last year playoffs, Quick's career was similar -albeit less accomplished at the same age- to Price's.

This year, Price has more wins than the 3, better SV% & more shutouts than 2 of the 3, and has a better GAA than 1 of them

Yes, Rinne & Lundqvist were better, from 27-31 years old, than Price was from 22-25years old, but not that much better despite playing for better teams arguably every year. Quick was better for 1 playoff run...

and that is how you arrive at the CLEAR assertion that Price is not, right now, at their level? (let alone the 5-year window that we have with Price).

sorry, but not convincing in the least.
I'm not saying Price is crap and will never be good. Or that I'd rather have Lundqvist right now. I said people have crowned him as one of the best too soon. He has yet to accomplish anything. Sure most goalies who are better are older. Sure Price's best years are ahead of him. I said that already. I'm not sure what you are arguing here.

Also most of your stats are wrong. Rinne, Lundqvist have better save%.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:11 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
This great "tied for first in the east" syndrom. Don't look....but Philly who has been a joke this year is 7 points behind us in 8th place. I just love when people use this "we're 1st" as if we are 30 points ahead of everybody....

We've been pretty good. Price has been pretty good so far. But tonight he was incredibly bad. Yet...we can't say that unless we're going to be told...."but he was great before"....Yes he was...but he was bad tonight! Geez just accept it....
Further to this: The guys on this board who want cups see a storm coming. This team is getting pretty good, and we might contend even next year.

Hence my 40 years of watching Habs tells me we NEED a goalie who can steal games to win cups.

Day to day right now, I have no worries about Price. He's a superb day to day goalie with excellent positioning.

But, I have hope with him, but not trust. Not when it really counts. It's about the cup, not beating the Pens in a mid season game.

I think Price is great, but he has not shown that he will steal us games in the playoffs, under pressure. That worries me.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:11 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Quick had a dream season but apart from that he's nowhere close to Price.
We can only discard Quick's dream season if we can discard Price's 2010-11 season as well. Fair is fair right? A bit ridiculous no?

Quote:
Lundqvist and Rinne? Okay, I can understand that argument. Beyond that... I don't think anyone is clearly better. And both those guys were playing behind significantly better teams.
Quick is clearly comparable with Price. They're almost the same except Quick took the next step while Price hasn't.

If anything I'm much higher on Quick because he has done something in the playoffs while the other two haven't.

Quick had big injuries during the summer and was probably fairly unmotivated after winning the cup, vezina, conn smythe and getting a huge deal, not to mention the lockout. End result is predictably a bad season. I predict a rebound in 2013-14.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:20 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
The argument you brought up is silly too, the fact that he's not "in the top 10%" of goalies in the league.. Which he is. You said top 3 is 10%, when it's actually top 6 considering there's 60 goalies in the league.

If you don't think Price is at least a top 6 goalie, name the 6 that are better than him undisputedly. If you can't, then by your own definition he is elite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
There are 60 goalies in the NHL... you can't just throw out 30 goalies because they don't start every night.
1- The 10% figure was a bit arbitrary. I guess it was a bit silly.

2- Do you count 180 dmen spots or 200 to account for the ones who don't play but are on the roster ?

Let's just forget about this. It's getting late and I don't feel like arguing over this, it's basically just semantics.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I wasn't trying to rank them on their whole body of work. Obviously, Brodeur becomes first if that is the case. I was mostly just taking into account that Brodeur is a million years old.

So that's a wash. Certainly not an area where Price stands out positively in comparison with them. So you then have to look at regular season to rank them.

I'm not saying Price is crap and will never be good. Or that I'd rather have Lundqvist right now. I said people have crowned him as one of the best too soon. He has yet to accomplish anything. Sure most goalies who are better are older. Sure Price's best years are ahead of him. I said that already. I'm not sure what you are arguing here.

Also most of your stats are wrong. Rinne, Lundqvist have better save%.
the stats are from TSN.ca... you can argue with them or perhaps they didn't update after tonights 7 goal fiasco (and in any case, point remains that statistically you're 3 "elite" goalies aren't "CLEARLY" ahead of Price, leaving subjective interpretation, and this with minimal -if any?- actual watching of those other goalies performing this year... correct?)

My point has been, and remains, that Price is a fantastic asset to have. However one chooses to "rank" the position, he is one of the best players to have pencilled in as a starting goaltender.

Wether you want to call him "elite" or not, wether you want to nitpick over top-3-4-5-6 et. based on whatever parameters make sense to you, makes no difference to me.

i completely disagree that he's one of many in a 2nd tier of goaltenders as you stated above.

if you want to use past performances as a criteria... fine, but to that I say give me the kid who is close and 25 & the odds that he will be doing as much or better in 3-4-5 years time, without hesitation (which also makes the elevation of quick problematic, b/c his one playoff run is the only thing in his corner, but if that is the "weight" by which he is elevated above price, then you need to have Brodeur ahead of everyone given his resume... and if age is an issue, then Ward & Fleury both jump ahead of Rinne/Lundqvist given their playoff success).

Elevating Rinne-Lundqvist-Quick above the next "5-10" and lumping Price in that 2nd group doesn't really hold much ground unless you cherry pick "vezina voting in the past 2-4 seasons" as the main measuring stick.

Quick has been very pedestrian this year (both statistically and in the bits i've seen of him), no way to make a strong argument that he is 'CLEARLY' ahead of Price right now. And lundqvist I can definitively say has not been better. I see a lot of him, and he's been very ordinary this year.

This year, Price is winning. He hasn't been dominant, nor needed to be, as consistently or as often as any of us would "like", but he also rarely loses a start.

His win total may be a reflection of his games played, fine, but you have to go down 20 goalies before finding another goalie with as few losses in regulation (17 if you count OTL's as well).

"Franchise" goalies need to win. Price is doing that as well or better than anyone in the league right now.

I don't really care either way, where people want to "rank" him... I just find it funny that people can be so convinced that he fits neatly into some ranking or box they've randomly/subjectively created, and then try to pass that off as some "Clear" analysis... it's anything but.

don't think Price is worthy of being called "elite", fine... argue that there is an "elite" group of goaltenders playing well above his level right now, or likely to do so in the near-mid range future? I disagree and have yet to see anything remotely convincing to back that up.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

If anything I'm much higher on Quick because he has done something in the playoffs while the other two haven't.
so why no love for Fleury? Ward? Brodeur?

all seems very arbitrary.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:30 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Further to this: The guys on this board who want cups see a storm coming. This team is getting pretty good, and we might contend even next year.

Hence my 40 years of watching Habs tells me we NEED a goalie who can steal games to win cups.

Day to day right now, I have no worries about Price. He's a superb day to day goalie with excellent positioning.

But, I have hope with him, but not trust. Not when it really counts. It's about the cup, not beating the Pens in a mid season game.

I think Price is great, but he has not shown that he will steal us games in the playoffs, under pressure. That worries me.
Yeah I've never seen him win us important games in the playoffs. I just can't get it out of my head.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:

My thoughts exactly.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
We can only discard Quick's dream season if we can discard Price's 2010-11 season as well. Fair is fair right? A bit ridiculous no?
Except that the further back we go, the more it helps Price. As I showed you, even including Quick's dream season if we go back to 2010... Quick doesn't even make the top 10.

Quick's season is far more of an outlier than Price's is. He's more consistent than Quick is.
Quote:
Quick is clearly comparable with Price. They're almost the same except Quick took the next step while Price hasn't.

Quick had big injuries during the summer and was probably fairly unmotivated after winning the cup, vezina, conn smythe and getting a huge deal, not to mention the lockout. End result is predictably a bad season. I predict a rebound in 2013-14
Quick is slightly older, started the NHL later and has been on better teams. That's going to change going forward.

Quick has had one brilliant season and that's about it. I don't see how you can bet on him over Price going forward, esp since his back surgery and subsequent current subpar year. Outside that one season Price is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Yeah I've never seen him win us important games in the playoffs. I just can't get it out of my head.
His very first year he throws down a shutout in a game 7 vs Boston. In 2011 he had a save percentage of .934 and we took Tim Thomas and the Bruins who were eventual cup winners to a 7 game OT. I'm not sure why you don't trust this guy...

We've had mostly terrible teams in front of him. Wait until we actually ice some good ones.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-03-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:57 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
the stats are from TSN.ca... you can argue with them or perhaps they didn't update after tonights 7 goal fiasco (and in any case, point remains that statistically you're 3 "elite" goalies aren't "CLEARLY" ahead of Price, leaving subjective interpretation, and this with minimal -if any?- actual watching of those other goalies performing this year... correct?)
nhl.com has up to date stats.

Well, tonight's fiasco is part of his performance this season.

Quote:
My point has been, and remains, that Price is a fantastic asset to have. However one chooses to "rank" the position, he is one of the best players to have pencilled in as a starting goaltender.
I never claimed otherwise.

Quote:
Wether you want to call him "elite" or not, wether you want to nitpick over top-3-4-5-6 et. based on whatever parameters make sense to you, makes no difference to me.
Just about any parameters will do. Not top 3 in any category other than win.

Quote:
i completely disagree that he's one of many in a 2nd tier of goaltenders as you stated above.
Yet, Price has accomplished nothing that would put him in that first tier, in the top 3 or even top 5. So it's not accomplishments. You can't be basing your judgement on accomplishments since he has virtually none.

You can't be basing your judgement on his play this season since he hasn't been top 3 either (I think the stats show this despite the fact you don't want to acknowledge it).

So what are you basing it on really ? Pure subjective judgement ?

Quote:
if you want to use past performances as a criteria... fine, but to that I say give me the kid who is close and 25 & the odds that he will be doing as much or better in 3-4-5 years time, without hesitation (which also makes the elevation of quick problematic, b/c his one playoff run is the only thing in his corner, but if that is the "weight" by which he is elevated above price, then you need to have Brodeur ahead of everyone given his resume... and if age is an issue, then Ward & Fleury both jump ahead of Rinne/Lundqvist given their playoff success).
If you say Price is elite because of potential, then I'm more tempted to side with you. But that's what Price is at the moment. Untapped and raw potential yet to be realized. I take issue when people claim he is already elite. He is not. He has not done anything special in this league yet unless you take his age into account. Yes, it's safe to say the best is yet to come. I'd likely pick Price over most other goalies. I think it's important you understand this about my point of view.

Quote:
Elevating Rinne-Lundqvist-Quick above the next "5-10" and lumping Price in that 2nd group doesn't really hold much ground unless you cherry pick "vezina voting in the past 2-4 seasons" as the main measuring stick.
LOL, Vezina voting is probably the best way to measure things. How would that be cherry picking. The 30 GMs would tell us who is the best over the past 3 seasons. That would be the best way to judge this thing objectively IMO.

Cherry picking is this :

Amongst goalie born on august 16th, Price has the best S%, GAA, win% and is the sexiest.

Which is what you were doing with the whole "goalies who have played 15 games". Why not 14, or 16 ? It's ok to have a cutoff at 10 to differentiate the starters from the backups while including those share duties more evenly. But the 15 games cutoff made little sense and was used only to try and show that Price was top 3 in one goalie stat, which even then he wasn't.

Quote:
Quick has been very pedestrian this year (both statistically and in the bits i've seen of him), no way to make a strong argument that he is 'CLEARLY' ahead of Price right now. And lundqvist I can definitively say has not been better. I see a lot of him, and he's been very ordinary this year.
Quick had a big injury that likely prevented him from training properly. He signed a huge deal going into a lockout shortened season after winning everything one can win. Were you expecting him to have his best season ever ?

Quote:
This year, Price is winning. He hasn't been dominant, nor needed to be, as consistently or as often as any of us would "like", but he also rarely loses a start.
So he hasn't been dominant, but he is somehow one of the best ? I don't get this. How can one thing and its opposite be at the same time. I just don't understand where you come from.

Quote:
His win total may be a reflection of his games played, fine, but you have to go down 20 goalies before finding another goalie with as few losses in regulation (17 if you count OTL's as well).
Again, win and losses is a direct result of team play. We allow the 4th fewest shot/game in the league. It's expected that our goalie is going to win more games than he will lose.

Quote:
"Franchise" goalies need to win. Price is doing that as well or better than anyone in the league right now.
Roman Cechmanek was winning games left and right for the flyers. Roman Turco too. Win is the least reliable way to insulate a goalie's performance.

Quote:
I don't really care either way, where people want to "rank" him... I just find it funny that people can be so convinced that he fits neatly into some ranking or box they've randomly/subjectively created, and then try to pass that off as some "Clear" analysis... it's anything but.
You have him fitting in a category too. You think he's one of the best.

Quote:
don't think Price is worthy of being called "elite", fine... argue that there is an "elite" group of goaltenders playing well above his level right now, or likely to do so in the near-mid range future? I disagree and have yet to see anything remotely convincing to back that up.
I think my way is a lot less arbitrary, and I bring more proof to the table than you do since you haven't brought any.

Quote:
so why no love for Fleury? Ward? Brodeur?

all seems very arbitrary.
Brodeur is too old, and has had struggles the past few seasons. Obviously he had a great playoffs run last year though.

I never liked Fleury. But he was good in his cup win.

Ward was also good in his cup win, but hasn't done much since. The truth is that he has been about as good as Price though. He has played behind terrible teams too.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:12 AM
E = CH²

Before I go to bed..

You can see Price in 3 ways :

1-Past accomplishments
It's easy he hasn't achieved anything. He's been above average in any given season, but never better than #5, and only once.
2-Potential based on his age
He has great potential and can potentially become the best of the best. But it's just that potential, and it has yet to be realized.
3-His current level this season
He hasn't been that good this season. Amongst goalie who have played 10 games, he's 16th in S%, 9th in GAA (despite the fact we're 4th in SA). He's first in wins, but fairly sure he's not top 5 in win%.
So he's not one of the best for past accomplishments and current play. He's only one of the best, if not the best, based on potential. I can accept that. But let's stop pretending he is elite right now because he is not.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Before I go to bed..

1-Past accomplishments
It's easy he hasn't achieved anything. He's been above average in any given season, but never better than #5, and only once.
He has great potential and can potentially become the best of the best. But it's just that potential, and it has yet to be realized.
He hasn't been that good this season. Amongst goalie who have played 10 games, he's 16th in S%, 9th in GAA (despite the fact we're 4th in SA). He's first in wins, but fairly sure he's not top 5 in win%.
So he's not one of the best for past accomplishments and current play. He's only one of the best, if not the best, based on potential. I can accept that. But let's stop pretending he is elite right now because he is not.
he is elite right now, let's stop pretending that leading the league in wins for a team that was pegged as a lottery contender, 1 season removed from a dead-last in the conference finish icing 2 rookies in their top-9 and starting the season without their top (or 2nd best) dman, reflects anything but that...

Old
03-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Before I go to bed..

1-Past accomplishments
Whew... good thing he had a horrible game tonight right? Because coming into this game he had Vezina type numbers and was probably the front runner for the award.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
nhl.com has up to date stats.

Well, tonight's fiasco is part of his performance this season.

I never claimed otherwise.

Just about any parameters will do. Not top 3 in any category other than win.

Yet, Price has accomplished nothing that would put him in that first tier, in the top 3 or even top 5. So it's not accomplishments. You can't be basing your judgement on accomplishments since he has virtually none.

You can't be basing your judgement on his play this season since he hasn't been top 3 either (I think the stats show this despite the fact you don't want to acknowledge it).

So what are you basing it on really ? Pure subjective judgement ?

If you say Price is elite because of potential, then I'm more tempted to side with you. But that's what Price is at the moment. Untapped and raw potential yet to be realized. I take issue when people claim he is already elite. He is not. He has not done anything special in this league yet unless you take his age into account. Yes, it's safe to say the best is yet to come. I'd likely pick Price over most other goalies. I think it's important you understand this about my point of view.

LOL, Vezina voting is probably the best way to measure things. How would that be cherry picking. The 30 GMs would tell us who is the best over the past 3 seasons. That would be the best way to judge this thing objectively IMO.

Cherry picking is this :

Amongst goalie born on august 16th, Price has the best S%, GAA, win% and is the sexiest.

Which is what you were doing with the whole "goalies who have played 15 games". Why not 14, or 16 ? It's ok to have a cutoff at 10 to differentiate the starters from the backups while including those share duties more evenly. But the 15 games cutoff made little sense and was used only to try and show that Price was top 3 in one goalie stat, which even then he wasn't.

Quick had a big injury that likely prevented him from training properly. He signed a huge deal going into a lockout shortened season after winning everything one can win. Were you expecting him to have his best season ever ?

So he hasn't been dominant, but he is somehow one of the best ? I don't get this. How can one thing and its opposite be at the same time. I just don't understand where you come from.

Again, win and losses is a direct result of team play. We allow the 4th fewest shot/game in the league. It's expected that our goalie is going to win more games than he will lose.

Roman Cechmanek was winning games left and right for the flyers. Roman Turco too. Win is the least reliable way to insulate a goalie's performance.

You have him fitting in a category too. You think he's one of the best.

I think my way is a lot less arbitrary, and I bring more proof to the table than you do since you haven't brought any.

Brodeur is too old, and has had struggles the past few seasons. Obviously he had a great playoffs run last year though.

I never liked Fleury. But he was good in his cup win.

Ward was also good in his cup win, but hasn't done much since. The truth is that he has been about as good as Price though. He has played behind terrible teams too.

so now Price's success is because he's "insulated"... really?

ever wonder why the Preds do so well, despite the low payroll & lack of known NHL talent in the lineup? or why that trend started before Rinne was there?

Cechmanek... Turek... that's your proof that Price's success this year isn't good enough "proof"?

come on...

spin as much as you need to feel comfortable, still nothing concrete to make sense of Quick-Lundqvist-Rinne being at some higher level aside from convenient weaving of clauses...

Brodeur too old, but good enough to make the finals last year
Fleury you don't like, but more playoff success than Rinne/Lundqvist combined.

consistently inconsistent is about the best way to describe this line of thinking.

and all to "prove" that the goalie of the team you root for isn't as "elite" as some arbitrarily compiled list of "3"

whatever floats your boat...

Old
03-03-2013, 01:25 AM
DumFries

Price has everything to be the next Brodeur or Roy. He makes saves look easy. Whether he has that flare or passion to go all the way, I don't know. It seems absent. There is something different about Price. It's a confidence issue I would say.

I don't know whether it is overconfidence or carelessness. Is it his overconfidence that is causing his carelessness? Numerous times this season, he has caused brutal turnovers. How many times has he given away the puck to the opponent when he's behind his own net trying to pass or clear his zone. How many times did Price's teammates came to the rescue? Good goalies are alert! Price is sleeping!

A lot of goals that were scored on Price should of easily been stopped by him this season.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Whew... good thing he had a horrible game tonight right? Because coming into this game he had Vezina type numbers and was probably the front runner for the award.
i wonder what happens if/when Price gets nominated for the Vezina this year...

will it be "Vezina nomination is biased anyways, GM's bias in favor of wins which are insulated"

or will it be more of the "see, NOW we can call him elite, couldn't do it until the award made it clear".

Old
03-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
Price has everything to be the next Brodeur or Roy. He makes saves look easy. Whether he has that flare or passion to go all the way, I don't know. It seems absent. There is something different about Price. It's a confidence issue I would say.

I don't know whether it is overconfidence or carelessness. Is it his overconfidence that is causing his carelessness? Numerous times this season, he has caused brutal turnovers. How many times has he given away the puck to the opponent when he's behind his own net trying to pass or clear his zone. How many times did Price's teammates came to the rescue? Good goalies are alert! Price is sleeping!

A lot of goals that were scored on Price should of easily been stopped by him.
Replace "Price" with Roy, and you have a pretty bang on commentary year in, year out, while Roy played for the habs...

i'm sure this conversation continued in Colorado as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lTkNE1z8ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMTGsEUM8t8

Old
03-03-2013, 01:40 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:

This is true.

Forget save percentage, GAA, wins, shutouts, whatever.

You earn your name in the playoffs, something Price has yet to do.

And until he does, he's just another goalie with loads of "potential".

bib is offline   Reply With Quote