HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 12:35 AM
  #301
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Oh im sorry, we were only a two horse show for two years.
John Scott deserves one with us too

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:42 AM
  #302
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Oh you're right. I mean, how could Gaborik deserve a Cup if Lundqvist deserves one more? Can't have two deserving people on the same team!
You make it sound like Gaborik's a career Ranger! When should we retire his number?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:39 AM
  #303
vstk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: White Plains, NY
Country: Finland
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
You make it sound like Gaborik's a career Ranger! When should we retire his number?
He very well might be in the future.

The guy has been our best scorer for the past 3,5 years, scoring 117 goals since he got here. Two +40 seasons and one +20 season. During the same time period, our second best scorer is Callahan with 76 goals. The last Rangers player who scored over 40 goals in one season was Jagr (05-06), and he only did it once. The player before Jagr to score over 40 goals was Messier in 95-96.

Let that sink in for a while.

vstk is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:45 AM
  #304
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Some people really dont understand/appreciate that.

Im a Ranger fan, we're not a terribly successful franchise by any means, so what Gaborik's done in his time here to me has been very memorable, and certainly in my top 10 Rangers ever.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:46 AM
  #305
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
He very well might be in the future.

The guy has been our best scorer for the past 3,5 years, scoring 117 goals since he got here. Two +40 seasons and one +20 season. During the same time period, our second best scorer is Callahan with 76 goals. The last Rangers player who scored over 40 goals in one season was Jagr (05-06), and he only did it once. The player before Jagr to score over 40 goals was Messier in 95-96.

Let that sink in for a while.
So we're going to retire a guys' number because he scored 40 goals in a season. Some of you guys really need to get a clue, no offense.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:48 AM
  #306
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
He very well might be in the future.

The guy has been our best scorer for the past 3,5 years, scoring 117 goals since he got here. Two +40 seasons and one +20 season. During the same time period, our second best scorer is Callahan with 76 goals. The last Rangers player who scored over 40 goals in one season was Jagr (05-06), and he only did it once. The player before Jagr to score over 40 goals was Messier in 95-96.

Let that sink in for a while.
Our standards have to be rather low if we ever consider retiring Gaborik's number. I just don't see that happening.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:49 AM
  #307
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Some people really dont understand/appreciate that.

Im a Ranger fan, we're not a terribly successful franchise by any means, so what Gaborik's done in his time here to me has been very memorable, and certainly in my top 10 Rangers ever.
He's in your top 10 as in favorites? Or you think he's one of the ten greatest Rangers of all time?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:52 AM
  #308
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Our standards have to be rather low if we ever consider retiring Gaborik's number. I just don't see that happening.
They were already pretty low with some justification being questionable for certain retirees. I don't see Gaborik being a Ranger past the 2015, and even with a cup in that time frame there is absolutely nothing to justify his number being retired

JohnC is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:52 AM
  #309
vstk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: White Plains, NY
Country: Finland
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
So we're going to retire a guys' number because he scored 40 goals in a season. Some of you guys really need to get a clue, no offense.
Did I say that? Or did I suggest he might be a career Ranger?


Last edited by Bob Richards: 03-03-2013 at 02:09 AM.
vstk is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:54 AM
  #310
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
They were already pretty low with some justification being questionable for certain retirees. I don't see Gaborik being a Ranger past the 2015, and even with a cup in that time frame there is absolutely nothing to justify his number being retired
I mean, we have naysayers on heroes like Graves. They'd riot over Gaborik.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:55 AM
  #311
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I mean, we have naysayers on heroes like Graves. They'd riot over Gaborik.
Gotta say, I'd have to join in on that riot

JohnC is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:00 AM
  #312
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
Did I say that? Or did I suggest he might be a career Ranger? Think.
How is he a career Ranger when he was drafted and played the majority of his career with Minnesota?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:04 AM
  #313
vstk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: White Plains, NY
Country: Finland
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
How is he a career Ranger when he was drafted and played the majority of his career with Minnesota?
I recall saying "he very well might be in the future". Emphasis on the words might and future. I never said he is, now did I? Geez..

vstk is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:12 AM
  #314
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
I recall saying "he very well might be in the future". Emphasis on the words might and future. I never said he is, now did I? Geez..
He will never be a career Ranger, stop dodging the question

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:17 AM
  #315
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,916
vCash: 50
Lets cool it down a bit, shall we?

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:22 AM
  #316
vstk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: White Plains, NY
Country: Finland
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
He will never be a career Ranger, stop dodging the question
It would be easier to answer your question if you'd understand what I am saying to you first. Your question is not valid because you have misunderstood everything I've said.

I said he very well might be in the future as he actually is our best scorer since Jagr and Messier. That was the point I made before you derailed the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Lets cool it down a bit, shall we?
Aye.

vstk is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:54 AM
  #317
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
If Gabby can help us get a cup, I don't give rat's ass whether he is a career ranger.
And Gabby will be productive well into his late 30's. He is a sniper, does not play a physical game.
I am not saying he cannot be traded. Everybody can be, but let's not use the wrong argument for trading him.

Kwayry is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:04 AM
  #318
b0mBa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Staten Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
It would be easier to answer your question if you'd understand what I am saying to you first. Your question is not valid because you have misunderstood everything I've said.

I said he very well might be in the future as he actually is our best scorer since Jagr and Messier. That was the point I made before you derailed the conversation.



Aye.
the fact he is among our best scoters has nothing to do with the fact you stated about being a career ranger. the guy could score 200 goals this season and that won't change the fact he was drafted by and played in Minnesota for 8 seasons which would make it impossible to call him a "career" ranger. so your argument there is non-existent. I don't even think there should be an argument for his number to even be considered for retirement some day. besides no cup, he really just doesn't have the connection to not only fans but the community that the guys up there now have.

b0mBa is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:08 AM
  #319
vstk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: White Plains, NY
Country: Finland
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mBa View Post
the fact he is among our best scoters has nothing to do with the fact you stated about being a career ranger.
I seriously give up.

vstk is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:18 AM
  #320
b0mBa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Staten Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstk View Post
I recall saying "he very well might be in the future". Emphasis on the words might and future. I never said he is, now did I? Geez..
the truth is, you said he might be a career ranger, possibly in the future right? myself and another poster are only trying to point out that it's impossible for him to "maybe" become a career ranger in the "future" like you said because of all the time spent in minny. that's all. argument solved guys clearly it's a moot point now!!

b0mBa is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:32 AM
  #321
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
This thread seriously went to ****..

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:37 AM
  #322
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
The only current ranger certainly getting his number retired is Henrik.

Jury is out on Callahan, McDonagh, Staal, ect. Depends on if they spend their whole careers here and if they win a cup, if not, should just be Henrik.

We're not retiring Marian, and we're not retiring Jagr. Would take him carrying us to a cup and a 4-5 year contract extension.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:48 AM
  #323
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The only current ranger certainly getting his number retired is Henrik.

Jury is out on Callahan, McDonagh, Staal, ect. Depends on if they spend their whole careers here and if they win a cup, if not, should just be Henrik.

We're not retiring Marian, and we're not retiring Jagr. Would take him carrying us to a cup and a 4-5 year contract extension.
Agreed. Jagr and Gaborik weren't/aren't here long enough to warrant a number retiring ceremony.

Lundqvist is almost certainly a lock.

Let's get back to talking about Gaborik and not about semantics.

__________________
Jabroni is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:00 AM
  #324
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Right around 30% of Gaborik's goals the last 3 seasons came for us on the power play. He has none of 7 this year.

If we had a functional PP, it stands to reason he'd be at 10 goals in 19 games.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:03 AM
  #325
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Right around 30% of Gaborik's goals the last 3 seasons came for us on the power play. He has none of 7 this year.

If we had a functional PP, it stands to reason he'd be at 10 goals in 19 games.
That's the thing, having the worst ever PP hurts us in more ways, some of our guys are producing less. Not saying it's the biggest problem but it's a big one.

I remember going to this game where Gaborik was rolling on the powerplay, and he ripped some real good shots and they went in. It seems like it's stagnated.

Silence Of The Plams is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.