HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012-2013 Season Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Per Andy Strickland yeah I know he isn't the best of sources but the Blues do have some players that need to be resigned after this season :

The Blues will have some free agents to take care of. The Blues and Patrik Berglund will wait until after the season to talk extension. The same is likely for Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk. Chris Stewart, Kris Russell, Andy McDonald and Matt D’Agostini also have expiring contracts.
All true. But the revenue should increase with a decent post-season run, too, which gives the team a bigger payroll as the next couple years go by. They're going to be able to raise ticket prices a bit, and host some playoff games. Winning takes care of most of the money problems.

Stillman has been smart in his money decisions to this point. But I also have confidence in this group, that if an opportunity to win a Cup is in front of them, they'll pull the trigger a deal Armstrong tells them will make the team better. But its not a one-season proposition. It can't be a deal (as you point out) that hamstrings the process of re-signing the RFAs and keeps that window of contention open for a few years.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
If Strickland is right, and I won't hold my breath on that, I have to question the thought process behind waiting until the end of the season before getting deals in place. Given our little break just now, I was actually expecting at least 1 extension announcement.

And you would think right now the priority would be to resign, in order:

Alex Pietrangelo
Kevin Shattenkirk
Chris Stewart
Patrik Berglund

Old
02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
And you would think right now the priority would be to resign, in order:

Alex Pietrangelo
Kevin Shattenkirk
Chris Stewart
Patrik Berglund
I would flip Berglund and Stewart, based solely on their positions and our roster strength in each area.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Schwartz could be getting a look at center against Chicago. He was on a line with Porter and Stewart in practice.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:32 PM
BlueDream

For all I care, McDonald, Russell, and D'Agostini hold virtually zero priority. Petro and Shatty are the two most important, followed by Berglund, then Stewart, then Cole.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:37 PM
rumrokh
No accent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Schwartz could be getting a look at center against Chicago. He was on a line with Porter and Stewart in practice.
I think Schwartz has shown some blatantly center-like instincts all year. The way he plays the half-wall and gets the puck to the front of the net, the way he curls up high in the offensive zone, the way he fills in for defensemen, and the way he plays defense behind the Blues net at times. I really like his tenacity in deep and his ability to strip the puck on the forecheck when playing wing, and I don't know if he's going to be over his head defensively as a center against Chicago - but I think his natural instincts shout "center" to me more frequently than anyone on the team with the possible exception of Berglund.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:49 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Question is are the Jets interested in Russel? Sure, with a 1.3 million salary. Hainsey makes 4.5 Million and I am convinced that Stillman won't add to the payroll anyway. Andy Mac and Steen are injured now, the focus now is on the Forward situation, so it's a moot point. Thank you.
Hainsey doesn't make 4.5M. He makes 3M and is on the final year of his contract. His cap hit is 4.5M which is irrelevant. If the Blues acquired Hainsey with 20 games to play they'd be paying him 750K because the 3M salary prorated down to 1/4 is 750K. Money in no way is an issue with acquiring Hainsey.

Also, Hainsey isn't the top-pairing answer we've all been talking about on D. He's a non-physical PMD who blocks shots. However, he is inconsistent in his own zone and with his decision making sometimes. Kind of like most 2d/3d pairing d-men can be inconsistent. What he would do is be an upgrade to Russell (the Russell of this season, not last year's playoff Russell) who can give you more minutes. Since you don't trade for a situation where you carry eight d-men, you have to send one back. Russell would be the only option. If the Jets aren't interested in Russell (none of us know) then there's no deal to be made. Later on, if one of the dmen get hurt then the Jets wouldn't have to take on Russell and the Blues could trade some non-1st round future to get him.

It's not an either-or situation, just because the forwards are banged up. I could see the Jets taking Russell back if they know Hainsey isn't returning next year. Russell is an established NHL roster player who frees up cap space going forward, saving the Jets probably 3M a year in cap space (4.5M vs. ~1.5M). He's off to a poor start but ~12 games coming off a lockout do not negate ~350 NHL games of established experience. Point is, viewing Russell purely as worthless garbage because he's having a poor year so far is just wanting to vent. It's not realistic. Doesn't mean Jets want him, just means that it's a legitimate basis for a deal if they would prefer a roster player to futures.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:58 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Like this quote from Hitchcock:

Quote:
“Teams look at your power play and say you can’t take penalties, so they don’t,” Hitchcock said. “The second thing, when you’re working hard in the offensive zone, you demand that the other team take penalties. We’re just not competing hard enough for pucks, making teams take penalties on us. We have to make teams take penalties by the level of work that we put in.”

Old
02-28-2013, 04:01 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Hainsey doesn't make 4.5M. He makes 3M and is on the final year of his contract. His cap hit is 4.5M which is irrelevant. If the Blues acquired Hainsey with 20 games to play they'd be paying him 750K because the 3M salary prorated down to 1/4 is 750K. Money in no way is an issue with acquiring Hainsey.

Also, Hainsey isn't the top-pairing answer we've all been talking about on D. He's a non-physical PMD who blocks shots. However, he is inconsistent in his own zone and with his decision making sometimes. Kind of like most 2d/3d pairing d-men can be inconsistent. What he would do is be an upgrade to Russell (the Russell of this season, not last year's playoff Russell) who can give you more minutes. Since you don't trade for a situation where you carry eight d-men, you have to send one back. Russell would be the only option. If the Jets aren't interested in Russell (none of us know) then there's no deal to be made. Later on, if one of the dmen get hurt then the Jets wouldn't have to take on Russell and the Blues could trade some non-1st round future to get him.

It's not an either-or situation, just because the forwards are banged up. I could see the Jets taking Russell back if they know Hainsey isn't returning next year. Russell is an established NHL roster player who frees up cap space going forward, saving the Jets probably 3M a year in cap space (4.5M vs. ~1.5M). He's off to a poor start but ~12 games coming off a lockout do not negate ~350 NHL games of established experience. Point is, viewing Russell purely as worthless garbage because he's having a poor year so far is just wanting to vent. It's not realistic. Doesn't mean Jets want him, just means that it's a legitimate basis for a deal if they would prefer a roster player to futures.
Maybe we could get Nikita Nikitin from Columbus for Russell

Old
02-28-2013, 04:38 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Maybe we could get Nikita Nikitin from Columbus for Russell
Are we still talking about the whats and whys of the structure of a rumored deal or are you just trying to get me to acknowledge you're really mad at Russell for how he's played this year? If it's the latter, yes, I get it.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:55 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Are we still talking about the whats and whys of the structure of a rumored deal or are you just trying to get me to acknowledge you're really mad at Russell for how he's played this year? If it's the latter, yes, I get it.
Russell, for how he has played this year.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:16 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Next up, 5-game road trip. Anaheim, LA and San Jose have a combined 19-3-4 record at home. Phoenix is 6-4-1 and Dallas is 4-4-1.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Next up, 5-game road trip. Anaheim, LA and San Jose have a combined 19-3-4 record at home. Phoenix is 6-4-1 and Dallas is 4-4-1.
Getting some wins in this stretch will be critical. All of these teams (AHN aside) will/are hovering around playoff spots that the Blues could be vying for.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:43 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I think Schwartz has shown some blatantly center-like instincts all year. The way he plays the half-wall and gets the puck to the front of the net, the way he curls up high in the offensive zone, the way he fills in for defensemen, and the way he plays defense behind the Blues net at times. I really like his tenacity in deep and his ability to strip the puck on the forecheck when playing wing, and I don't know if he's going to be over his head defensively as a center against Chicago - but I think his natural instincts shout "center" to me more frequently than anyone on the team with the possible exception of Berglund.
I find myself agreeing as far as his offensive zone play.

However, I watched him closely in the defensive zone during his shifts at center, and it's pretty clear to me that he's not currently ready for that role in this system. There were multiple lost assignments when defending the deep cycle, and he just doesn't have the mass/lower body strength to solidly anchor in the physical board battles in the corners and behind the net.

For now, at least, I think he would be a better fit at center on some other teams than he currently is here.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I find myself agreeing as far as his offensive zone play.

However, I watched him closely in the defensive zone during his shifts at center, and it's pretty clear to me that he's not currently ready for that role in this system. There were multiple lost assignments when defending the deep cycle, and he just doesn't have the mass/lower body strength to solidly anchor in the physical board battles in the corners and behind the net.

For now, at least, I think he would be a better fit at center on some other teams than he currently is here.
I tend to agree. I am not comfortable with Schwartz in the defensive zone at center. On the wing I think he plays just fine. Offensively, I would prefer him at center. If there was a way to get Backes to transition to wing in the offensive zone and Schwart to transition to center it would be an interesting experiment. Backes is clearly the better defensive player in his own end and we could not afford to give that up. But, offensively I suspect Backes would be more productive on the wing.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Alklha

I've seen a few people talking about moving Backes to the wing again this season, really not sure why. His offensive production would likely go up, but he is a far more valuable player to this team at C, even if we bring in another C.

Not worried about the size of Schwartz going forward either. I know the Oilers are pretty soft, but that isn't the only reason he got going last night. Easy to forget that was still only his 24th NHL game and it is going to take some time for him to make the appropriate adjustments in his game to be as effective as possible at his size.

In unrelated news...

St. Louis Blues Verified account
‏@StLouisBlues
Happy birthday to Blues defenseman Kris Russell, who turns 26 today. #stlblues

Kevin Shattenkirk Verified account
‏@shattdeuces
@StLouisBlues just wished Kris Russell a happy birthday and he looked at me like I was crazy #MAY2nd #classicmixup

Old
03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I've seen a few people talking about moving Backes to the wing again this season, really not sure why. His offensive production would likely go up, but he is a far more valuable player to this team at C, even if we bring in another C.

Not worried about the size of Schwartz going forward either. I know the Oilers are pretty soft, but that isn't the only reason he got going last night. Easy to forget that was still only his 24th NHL game and it is going to take some time for him to make the appropriate adjustments in his game to be as effective as possible at his size.
I would never advocate fully moving Backes to the wing. His defensive instincts in the neutral and defensive zone at center are way too valuable. I also agree that even if an top end #1 were to show up, that he should still stay at center. I think this trip will be a big test for Jaden and one I am hopeful he will successfully emerge.

As for the EDM game, the softer play was a factor, the believe the moving up to play with Osh and Backs, plus tehe room given by EDM were bigger factors. That said, as you acknowledged, he has yet to figure out how to to effectively use his size, particularly in the protecting himself department. Until we see that improvement, I suspect he will see better games from Jaden against teams that give room defensively and/are softer. If he can continue to learn how to use his size and gain confidence, that should change. As I alluded to,

Old
03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I agree that Edmonton's lack of physicality is a big reason why Schwartz was successful last night. The best game he had played prior to last night was against Calgary, another team that is not exactly a physical powerhouse. He will get bigger, he will get stronger, and he will be successful against stronger teams in the future. He's slippery enough now that he can make some plays against big teams, but he won't be a constant factor like he was last night against tight checking teams for a while.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:10 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Getting some wins in this stretch will be critical. All of these teams (AHN aside) will/are hovering around playoff spots that the Blues could be vying for.
The Blues have done well on the road, so this 5 game trip could put some distance between teams on this trip hovering around playoff spots like Phoenix, Dallas, and the Sharks. Wins over the Ducks & Kings will be tough but if the 'note get at least a point out of each game, that would be great.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:46 AM
Alklha

Quote:
The Blues have done well on the road, so this 5 game trip could put some distance between teams on this trip hovering around playoff spots like Phoenix, Dallas, and the Sharks. Wins over the Ducks & Kings will be tough but if the 'note get at least a point out of each game, that would be great.
Hopefully we can built on our early success on the road. We need to start winning more games in regulation though, only 3 of our 6 road wins have come in regulation.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:06 AM
stlweir

Who would have thought that Allen would be the blues #1goalie and Stewart the leading scorer at this point of the season?

Old
03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Who would have thought that Allen would be the blues #1goalie and Stewart the leading scorer at this point of the season?
No one. It's a What have you done for me lately? type season for the Blues. Losing all those points to be had in the 1st half of the season in regulation time has the Blues on the playoff bubble. And it looks like getting a top 4 Left defenseman at the trading deadline is unlikely, since 4 core members still need new contracts starting next season.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

When Oshie and Andy Mac come back, it looks like we're going to have to get two forwards off of the roster. I guess that most likely means that Porter and Cracknell will get sent down on waivers, and I can almost guarantee that we'll lose them. Do you guys think something else will happen, like a trade, e.g. depth forward for picks, or maybe even moving Elliott?

Old
03-16-2013, 01:21 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
When Oshie and Andy Mac come back, it looks like we're going to have to get two forwards off of the roster. I guess that most likely means that Porter and Cracknell will get sent down on waivers, and I can almost guarantee that we'll lose them. Do you guys think something else will happen, like a trade, e.g. depth forward for picks, or maybe even moving Elliott?
I think Cracknell will make it through....but highly doubt Porter would. I'm baffled about whether Elliott would make it through, but tend to think he WOULD. (Other team would have to keep him on their roster.)

I'd really like to have Porter around for the playoffs. Frankly, my preference would be for the team to trade D'Agostini and Cole plus whatever else for a strong LHD, but I'm not sure who that is or whether that team is ready to make such a deal. The trade deadline is going to be interesting this season, but I'm not sure how many teams really think they're out of it.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:27 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

To avoid risking Porter/Elliott to waivers now they need to make it through six more games after tonight with at least one player on IR. Currently they have two, though McDonald probably comes back before 6 games. Oshie with his ribs should rest and get that all healed before the playoffs. Someone's always gimped up enough that they can do the IR thing. Only 17 days til expanded roster allowance (I looked it up).

Closed Thread