HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #16 - 2013 Offseason edition ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 05:15 AM
madgoat33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Megatron also was not as clutch as previous years. i saw him drop some tough passes but passes he use to catch.
when they throw you the ball like 160 times, you're going to drop some. irc, Marshall and cj had the same amount of drops and were 1 and 2 in targets.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:54 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I don't think people know how good Austin is and how perfect he is for the Bears. Bears need a #2 to go with Marshall. Marshall is a big, strong, possession WR. To go with that you want a fast, quick, deep threat, which is what Austin is. Plus with Hester leaving Austin was a good KR and PR. Again he is DeSean Jackson, with better hands and without the stupidity.
He's a fast WR with average ball skills and hands. That screams elite to me.

He's going to be a good player, but we have other, more pressing needs.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
29.63. Percentage of catchable balls Kellen Davis dropped (8 of 27), the highest percentage of all tight ends who were targeted at least 40 times in 2012, according to Pro Football Focus.
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2MP2PZ6XS

I thought Davis was awful but man that is truly awful

Old
03-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

now we know for sure that Melton will not leave for nothing. I still think trading him makes sense.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

How on earth does it make any sense to trade our best young defensive player who is coming off a pro bowl season?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
How on earth does it make any sense to trade our best young defensive player who is coming off a pro bowl season?
He's not that good?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Salary Cap would be the reason with many holes to fill on the Roster.... + we would get a good pick back. I'm sure the Cowboys would give up a 2nd + for Melton

Old
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Salary Cap would be the reason with many holes to fill on the Roster.... + we would get a good pick back. I'm sure the Cowboys would give up a 2nd + for Melton
I wouldn't doubt that we could do better than a mid round 2nd.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
How on earth is a 2nd + for a young pro bowl DT good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
He's not that good?
Seriously?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:32 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
How on earth is a 2nd + for a young pro bowl DT good?

Seriously?
Yes. He's not very good against the run. At least not 8 million dollars good.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:08 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

That's exactly right. He's very good, but not 8+ million good in an offense driven league with a bunch of holes to fill.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Illinihockey

Julius Peppers made Kris Jenkins a 3 time pro bowler, now he's done the same for Melton. Melton is good but not a guy you tie up top end money for.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:30 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Julius Peppers made Kris Jenkins a 3 time pro bowler, now he's done the same for Melton. Melton is good but not a guy you tie up top end money for.
This is the most true statement this thread has seen.

I understand that when Kris Jenkins left Carolina, he was an injured, broken down player, but he was also absolutely horrible.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:31 PM
HeisenBaez

Trading one of the game's best DT right before making changes to the defense is not wise. Tillman/Jennings/Urlacher/Peppers/Izzy are mostly not going to be on the Bears within two years, and some fans want to trade Melton on top of that?

Yeah, no thanks to that idea.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Kris Jenkins was a stud until he got injured

Guy missed nearly 2 years due to injuries after breaking out as a star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
This is the most true statement this thread has seen.

I understand that when Kris Jenkins left Carolina, he was an injured, broken down player, but he was also absolutely horrible.
Jenkins was Pro Bowl NT in 3-4 D his only year in NY healthy. Then his career basically was over due to injuries

Let me guess Julius Peppers was reason that Jenkins had great year for Jets in entirely new system?

Old
03-03-2013, 04:35 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

the question is... what's more important: great OL vs Melton. It may come down to this.

want to keep Cutler? Give him a OLine. If Cutler goes, think what Marshall will do when his contract ends. Want to see both of them leave in the next 2 years?

If Emery finds a way to upgrade the OL to average and keep Melton, its's fine

Old
03-03-2013, 04:39 AM
Sarava

Quote:
the question is... what's more important: great OL vs Melton. It may come down to this.

want to keep Cutler? Give him a OLine. If Cutler goes, think what Marshall will do when his contract ends. Want to see both of them leave in the next 2 years?

If Emery finds a way to upgrade the OL to average and keep Melton, its's fine
I don't see how letting Melton go magically gives the Bears a great O-line?

Also Cutler has a ton to prove - where Marshall is one of the top 2 or 3 receivers in the NFL. I'm sure Marshall would stay if the Bears someday upgraded from Cutler. There's also the franchise tag that could be used twice.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Kris Jenkins was a stud and the best DT in the league before injuries killed him. Getting rid of Melton is a foolish idea.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I don't see how letting Melton go magically gives the Bears a great O-line?

Also Cutler has a ton to prove - where Marshall is one of the top 2 or 3 receivers in the NFL. I'm sure Marshall would stay if the Bears someday upgraded from Cutler. There's also the franchise tag that could be used twice.
Cap Space to sign the guys we want. I'm sure we are an attractiv team for free agents. Would have Cap Space, Money to spend and a staff that wants to win the SB. + a good QB, a Top3 WR and good running game. D was great last year.
We could get a Long or Albert or Vollmer with that Cap Space + Levitre as LG

Old
03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Illinihockey

Matt Bowen Scouting the Bears

The Bears are just beginning the process for the April 25 to 27 NFL draft with the start of free agency looming and the campus pro day circuit still on tap. However, coming off the scouting combine, here are 10 first round targets who would fit general manager Phil Emery's wish list from my perspective.

D.J. Fluker, RT, Alabama: Another right tackle? Given that the Bears don't know what they have yet in Gabe Carimi (plus the need to upgrade the entire offensive line), Fluker is an option for their pick at No. 20 in the first round.

The tackle has room to develop his footwork in pass protection, but he has the toughness, size (6 feet 5, 339 pounds) and arm length (363/4 inches) that is necessary on the edge.

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame: Eifert would give the Bears the matchup weapon they desperately need in the middle of the field and in red zone situations.

After running the 40-yard dash in the high 4.6 range and going through positional drills, Eifert is considered the position's top prospect as a complete tight end who can block in the run front and line up removed from the core of the formation as a receiver.

Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina: Cooper's stock is on the rise after an impressive workout in Indianapolis and he would be an immediate upgrade for the interior line.

An athletic prospect with clean footwork who also brings power to the lineup, Cooper is a winner in both the running and passing games.

Lane Johnson, LT, Oklahoma: A day one starter — if he is still on the board. Johnson's technique stood out on the practice fields at the Senior Bowl, he was clearly one of the top athletes at his position during combine workouts and still has room to add around 10 pounds to his lean frame.

A no-brainer for Emery if he's available.

Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama: Physical, strong and nasty, Warmack doesn't have the type of athletic ability that will show up in shorts during a workout. But all you have to do is turn on the tape to see how dominant he can be.

Some see Warmack as one of the top overall players in this draft class. Is he still on the board at No. 20? That could be a stretch.

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State: The Bears need to add depth and youth at cornerback. Rhodes has the length, size (6-1, 210), speed (4.43) and press-man skills that would fit.

The FSU product needs some work with his off-man technique, but he would have time to develop behind veterans Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings.

Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame: The Bears must get younger in the middle of the defense regardless of the upcoming decision on veteran Brian Urlacher. There are multiple questions surrounding Te'o after the fake girlfriend story, a poor showing in the BCS title game and a sub-par 4.82 40-yard dash time.

However, Te'o brings a ton of production from South Bend with the natural instincts and short-area change-of-direction skills needed at middle linebacker.

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia: He has legit, top end speed (4.34) and explosive playmaking ability inside the numbers. Austin only measures 5-8, but he would give the Bears creative options out of the slot and the deep ball speed to pair with both Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery.

He might be a luxury pick considering the other needs on the roster, but there is no doubt Austin can play.

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: The cornerback displayed solid footwork, closing speed and he played with a swagger at the Senior Bowl.

Trufant will need to show more at his pro day, but after running a 4.38 at the combine he could be another option for the Bears to add depth in the secondary.

Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia: Ogletree didn't turn out the workout some expected at the combine and he has had some off-field issues. However, Ogletree still is considered one of the top linebacker prospects because of the resume he put together on tape against SEC competition.

He's a linebacker who will make impact plays.

Twitter @MattBowen41

Old
03-04-2013, 09:55 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Don't like Te'o at all. Huge huge read in the 1st, and not someone I want at all unless he somehow drops beyond the 3rd, which won't happen.

Didn't Ogletree just get a DUI or something?

Liked most of the other picks.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Don't like Te'o at all. Huge huge read in the 1st, and not someone I want at all unless he somehow drops beyond the 3rd, which won't happen.

Didn't Ogletree just get a DUI or something?

Liked most of the other picks.
Ogletree did get a DUI....but so what?

Old
03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ogletree did get a DUI....but so what?
Has also failed a drug test. I'd still happily take him at 20, though. 111 tackles in 10 games.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I just have no respect for people that get DUI's that's all. Never said not to pick him, though I wouldn't.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:10 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I just have no respect for people that get DUI's that's all. Never said not to pick him, though I wouldn't.
We are talking about a 21 year old kid here. People make mistakes. Yeah it was a really really stupid mistake, but he's still maturing and growing up as a person. The kid can barely legally drink.

Closed Thread