HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
He's a right handed teacher's pet. No.

I find it weird that with all the success Kadri is finally having that they've decided to bury another super talented kid in the minors over some ****** little technicality about waivers.
He'll get his shot, probably when Liles or Komi are moved. No worries, Gardiner is not setting the AHL on fire this year. It's probably good for him to get some Eakins time. He may even be better for it in the long run.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:40 AM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm just not sure what Carlyle objects to in Gardiner so much to keep him toiling away. I guess he's not lunch pail enough for him with his effortless skating, fancy stickhandling and generally un-blue collar ways to warrant being sat out in favour of a couple of right handed dmen like Kostka and Holzer. It's baffling he isn't getting some guaranteed playing time ahead of Gunnarsson and Fraser.
I'm also trying to figure out what Carlyle's mindset is.

At first I thought maybe he likes his defense to be tough who are willing to drop the gloves, protect their goalie/crease, etc. and Gardiner isn't that type of player... however on the other hand he favours Gunnarsson in the lineup (btw, soft as butter) over Komi so that theory doesn't really make sense to me either...

03-03-2013, 12:40 AM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselfan97 View Post
picture this though
Phaneuf - Gardiner
Frasor - Holzer
Two leftys. Won't happen.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:42 AM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam View Post
I'm also trying to figure out what Carlyle's mindset is.

At first I thought maybe he likes his defense to be tough who are willing to drop the gloves, protect their goalie/crease, etc. and Gardiner isn't that type of player... however on the other hand he favours Gunnarsson in the lineup (btw, soft as butter) over Komi so that theory doesn't really make sense to me either...
He prefers defensemen playing their strong hand. So Phaneuf, Gunnar, Liles, Fraser and Gardiner are competing for 3 spots and Holzer, Kostka, Franson and Komisarek are competing for 3 spots.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

He would have to clear waivers. Holzer makes the most sense unless they can open up the roster spot via trade of either Komisarek or Liles.

If not, Holzer deserves to be sent down. He's been brutal.

I'd personally like to see Gunnar paired back with Dion and then some combination of Gardiner/Franson/Frasor/Kostka.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Perhaps all that time he spent in the minors helped him be the player he is now?
Yeah but Gards excelled without AHL time...

Old
03-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He'll get his shot, probably when Liles or Komi are moved. No worries, Gardiner is not setting the AHL on fire this year. It's probably good for him to get some Eakins time. He may even be better for it in the long run.
I think it's just wasting ELC time on needless development. Gardiner looks bored in the AHL, and whatever he needs to learn should be happening in the league he's already excelled in to a large extent. The guy is just toying with guys down there.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Predaleafs

The reason there taking there time with Gardiner is because after he pays 3 NHL games he must go through waivers. so if they call him up and hes not ready, hes stuck.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He would have to clear waivers. Holzer makes the most sense unless they can open up the roster spot via trade of either Komisarek or Liles.

If not, Holzer deserves to be sent down. He's been brutal.

I'd personally like to see Gunnar paired back with Dion and then some combination of Gardiner/Franson/Frasor/Kostka.
Gunnar might be still hurting hence he's not there yet. It's been told that he'll be hurting most of the season.
Quote:
Yeah but Gards excelled without AHL time...
That maybe so but he still could improve his defensive game.

03-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Kostka is subject to waivers. Gardiner's had a good last two games but still needs to show a bit more consistency before I'd say he's ready to come up. Personally, I pass

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Old
03-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Count Von Grabo*

Send down Holzer instead.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:11 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

"Kostka's subject to waivers".

So what are we losing here?

Old
03-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
He's a right handed teacher's pet. No.

I find it weird that with all the success Kadri is finally having that they've decided to bury another super talented kid in the minors over some ****** little technicality about waivers.
If anything, Kadri's success is a perfect example that time spent with the Marlies isn't wasted.

Kadri came into camp absolutely petrified he would be cut. Gardiner thought he had a spot gift-wrapped and waiting for him. A little hard love will do wonders for him.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:31 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Gunnar might be still hurting hence he's not there yet. It's been told that he'll be hurting most of the season.
A 90% Gunnarson is still way better than Holzer or Kostka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
If anything, Kadri's success is a perfect example that time spent with the Marlies isn't wasted.

Kadri came into camp absolutely petrified he would be cut. Gardiner thought he had a spot gift-wrapped and waiting for him. A little hard love will do wonders for him.
Well, yeah... because Gardiner earned it. He came into camp last year and blew everyone away, earned the spot and went to have a very solid rookie season. What else should he have to do to earn a roster spot?

If he never had the concussion, he would have broke camp with the team.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:36 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Well, yeah... because Gardiner earned it. He came into camp last year and blew everyone away, earned the spot and went to have a very solid rookie season. If he never had the concussion, he would have broke camp with the team.
A 21 year old hockey player shouldn't have that sense of entitlement. Especially coming back from a concussion.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:49 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Honestly, our 6 dmen are playing too well to demote or bench. Or at least not poor enough to rush Gardiner right back in at the moment. Yes that includes Kostka he has still been doing most of the little things really well and looks very poised and calm out there in tough situations. A dip in form or injury will happen any game now and then Gardiner will force their hand.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:45 AM
Beaninfritz

Looks like Gards is staying in the AHL this season. I saw him in a post game interview a while back. Maybe it was just fatigue, but he didn't seem all quite there. His responses to the questions were really slow and drawn out.

I don't think he's over his concussion woes yet. Our D is looking pretty good at the moment, so let's not add another player into the mix. Let's not forget, we also have Liles and Komi sitting in the press box right now.

If he stays in the AHL this season, he stays in the AHL this season. Yes he did very well during the 2nd half last season, but there's always things for young players to work on. We didn't rush Kadri, and it's paying dividends right now, BIG TIME. Gardiner's still very young, and it takes defensemen longer to mature than forwards, so let's not be impatient (as us leafs fans usually are). He'll be back on the team when he's good and ready (and when they've finally sorted out this backlog we have on D).

Old
03-03-2013, 04:02 AM
daner

The guy is playing pretty darn good. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Last game the tv commentator said phaneuf and kostka are the only players in the NHL to play over 700 shifts so far this season (or something along those lines). He ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:26 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i find it odd that the 2nd pairing guys are more vulnerable than the 3rd pairing guys
why ?the team is winning and blame burke for the dead weight hes carrying in the press box.
whats gardiner gonna do any better than what already is being sone?he ll get his chance

Old
03-03-2013, 07:08 AM
KuleminFan41

Kostka is under appreciated ,IDK why. Extremely cheap good reliable defender and people want to run him out of town.

Besides,doesn't Carlyle like having righties and lefties playing together on defence? The only guy you can send down is Holzer I believe but he's right handed while Gardiner is left handed.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Kostka is under appreciated ,IDK why. Extremely cheap good reliable defender and people want to run him out of town.

Besides,doesn't Carlyle like having righties and lefties playing together on defence? The only guy you can send down is Holzer I believe but he's right handed while Gardiner is left handed.
See the biggest reason Kostka is able to stick is due to his quick sense of seeing the ice very well or vision. However in the other aspects he's quite lacking, he's ideally a number 6 guy who can hold the fort due to this however for a team that needs more form the back end. He's isn't the one we require, nor is Holzer, who ideally would be playing together with Kostka as the bottom pairing, two-way ish and steady rough d-men.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:59 AM
goonx

Why do we have to bring up gardiner?

Is letting him play guaranteed top D minutes that bad in the marlies? The pace is slower and he can work on more aspects of his game such as his shot. Eakins is a great coach and when management thinks gards can't develop any further in the AHL, they'll make room for him.

All these "call up gards,call up gards" posts are getting old.

Our leafs D core right now is winning. Let them keep winning

Old
03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
See the biggest reason Kostka is able to stick is due to his quick sense of seeing the ice very well or vision. However in the other aspects he's quite lacking, he's ideally a number 6 guy who can hold the fort due to this however for a team that needs more form the back end. He's isn't the one we require, nor is Holzer, who ideally would be playing together with Kostka as the bottom pairing, two-way ish and steady rough d-men.
Yep, agree, whatever Kostka lacks in talent, he makes up in smarts. Quick assessment of situations, reads, and movement of the puck. He also has a low panic threshold that serves him well. Completely opposite of Komi. Nothing wrong with Kostka, Gardiner plays a dangerous game right now, but he's flashy so fans think this is a positive. It's not a positive now, it may have been under Ron and Gun, bit thankfully we have a real NHL coach these days.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:16 AM
SteveV*

Kostka sucks. Decision making is painfully slow and unnecessarily complicated.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
We don't need to send Kostka down to bring up Gardiner.

Holzer is not subject to waivers and he's been god awful the last 3-4 games...screening his goalie, trying to deflect the puck in his own net...reminds me of Luke Schenn last year.

Nazem Kadri is up, so we need to send another kid to suffer in the Marlies, that's how it works.

I wonder how long Morgan Rielly will have to wait?

Closed Thread