HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Old
03-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Yeah, you can see the actual puck skills Bennett has and glimpse what he can be in a year or so. But the thing that's impressed me is his overall play. He's aware in the defensive zone and doesn't just toss pucks around, making the smart play along the boards. And he battles in the corners in the offensive zone, and doesn't get pushed around.

I'd like to see him get more minutes than he's getting. He's proving he's not a defensive liability out there (usually the thing that gets rookies limited minutes), and he's one of the better skilled guys offensively.

Only way I want him back in WBS is if Shero goes all-in at the trade deadline and acquires two top six wingers, forcing a guy like Dupuis to drop down onto the third line, and forcing a guy like Bennett out of a spot this year.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:58 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Yet Bennett only got 3 shifts in the 2nd period and 2 in the 3rd. This is after having one of his best periods of the season. There is Bylsma's coaching for you.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:09 AM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I thoroughly disagree. Bennett has been a huge surprise this season. And I mean surprise in that he goes out there, makes safe & smart plays, doesn't look out of place and doesn't hurt us. I consistently see him covering up for defensemen when they jump in (and seams to be the the defensive conscience on his line when he's on the ice, and whichever linemates he is paired with). He's not an offensive black-hole like Glass or Kennedy, the way the latter has been playing this year.

If Beau can keep this up, I don't see any reason why getting sheltered minutes by playing on our 3rd line will be anything but great for his development. He's got excellent hockey sense and vision, and combined with his surprising reliability, I think he'll continue to gain more and more confidence. On top of that, he's a legitimate option on our 2nd PP unit for the left half-wall. Until such time as he plays his way out of the line-up (which hasn't happened and doesn't look like it's going to soon), he deserves to stay. And the very question of whether he should be sent back down shows that some are not giving him enough credit.

Unless we traded for 2 wingers, Beau stays. Kennedy and Glass are the weak links in our forward line-up right now.
I agree with everything here. I'll also add that I've been surprised with how strong Bennett has looked in his board battles.

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:29 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
I agree with everything here. I'll also add that I've been surprised with how strong Bennett has looked in his board battles.
Agreed. I feared he'd be a soft, finesse, floater type out there. The most pleasant surprise about his game so far is he actually competes hard and can win those board battles you mentioned.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Yet Bennett only got 3 shifts in the 2nd period and 2 in the 3rd. This is after having one of his best periods of the season. There is Bylsma's coaching for you.
how many did TK and Jeffrey get? Or better yet, where do you find these things?

Seriously, that doesn't make sense.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I thoroughly disagree. Bennett has been a huge surprise this season. And I mean surprise in that he goes out there, makes safe & smart plays, doesn't look out of place and doesn't hurt us. I consistently see him covering up for defensemen when they jump in (and seams to be the the defensive conscience on his line when he's on the ice, and whichever linemates he is paired with). He's not an offensive black-hole like Glass or Kennedy, the way the latter has been playing this year.

If Beau can keep this up, I don't see any reason why getting sheltered minutes by playing on our 3rd line will be anything but great for his development. He's got excellent hockey sense and vision, and combined with his surprising reliability, I think he'll continue to gain more and more confidence. On top of that, he's a legitimate option on our 2nd PP unit for the left half-wall. Until such time as he plays his way out of the line-up (which hasn't happened and doesn't look like it's going to soon), he deserves to stay. And the very question of whether he should be sent back down shows that some are not giving him enough credit.

Unless we traded for 2 wingers, Beau stays. Kennedy and Glass are the weak links in our forward line-up right now.
absolutely. he should be getting regular third line shifts over TK. With how the lines are now, he should at the very least be getting regular shifts with TK and Jeffrey when they are out there. I just don't get that.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
how many did TK and Jeffrey get? Or better yet, where do you find these things?

Seriously, that doesn't make sense.
Kennedy
2nd period 5 shifts 3:09
3rd period 5 shifts 4:15

Jeffrey
2nd period 5 shifts 4:05
3rd period 5 shifts 3:20

Bennett
2nd period 3 shifts 2:29
3rd period 2 shifts 1:51

You can find this at NHL.com, Find the game, go to box score and then click TOI Penguins. Here is last game vs Montreal.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/TV020306.HTM

Last edited by Captain Hook: 03-03-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Kennedy
2nd period 5 shifts 3:09
3rd period 5 shifts 4:15

Jeffrey
2nd period 5 shifts 4:05
3rd period 5 shifts 3:20

Bennett
2nd period 3 shifts 2:29
3rd period 2 shifts 1:51

You can find this at NHL.com, Find the game, go to box score and then click TOI Penguins. Here is last game vs Montreal.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/TV020306.HTM
huh, I don't get that at all. I am all for him being on the third line right now, but he should be getting regular third line shifts

Old
03-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
huh, I don't get that at all. I am all for him being on the third line right now, but he should be getting regular third line shifts
I thought he was injured and that's why I wasn't seeing BB take a shift for like ten minutes in the third. He had his best period since he was called up in the first and was giving some hard hits out there, so I assumed he had to be hurt.

It's kind of funny actually...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I thought he was injured and that's why I wasn't seeing BB take a shift for like ten minutes in the third. He had his best period since he was called up in the first and was giving some hard hits out there, so I assumed he had to be hurt.

It's kind of funny actually...
I don't even know at this point. Gotta just wait and see what happens.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I don't even know at this point. Gotta just wait and see what happens.
I'm not worrying about it. When Malkin is back, maybe he will play more.

I'm just paranoid about BB getting hurt at this level, so when DB benches him like last night, I will worry.

I should of known better I suppose.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
JimsDoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Yeah, you can see the actual puck skills Bennett has and glimpse what he can be in a year or so. But the thing that's impressed me is his overall play. He's aware in the defensive zone and doesn't just toss pucks around, making the smart play along the boards. And he battles in the corners in the offensive zone, and doesn't get pushed around.

I'd like to see him get more minutes than he's getting. He's proving he's not a defensive liability out there (usually the thing that gets rookies limited minutes), and he's one of the better skilled guys offensively.

Only way I want him back in WBS is if Shero goes all-in at the trade deadline and acquires two top six wingers, forcing a guy like Dupuis to drop down onto the third line, and forcing a guy like Bennett out of a spot this year.
I feel he could be one of those top 6 wingers and fit just fine on the 2nd line. His abilities are being wasted on the 3rd line by playing with TK. Like someone else said, on the 3rd line he'll just end up being the next Morozov

JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsDoors View Post
I feel he could be one of those top 6 wingers and fit just fine on the 2nd line. His abilities are being wasted on the 3rd line by playing with TK. Like someone else said, on the 3rd line he'll just end up being the next Morozov
but as of right now, he is a below average NHL top 6 forward. We are looking to upgrade our wings. Right now, he's a downgrade from what we have. He needs time to work his way up. I'd love to get the board guy for Geno's line asap and see how BB fits in with them. Give us a little time to see if we need that 2nd guy or not. But based on what we have seen, BB is currently a downgrade from Dupuis.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
mpp9

Quote:
but as of right now, he is a below average NHL top 6 forward. We are looking to upgrade our wings. Right now, he's a downgrade from what we have. He needs time to work his way up. I'd love to get the board guy for Geno's line asap and see how BB fits in with them. Give us a little time to see if we need that 2nd guy or not. But based on what we have seen, BB is currently a downgrade from Dupuis.
I'd put Bennett in the top 6 and Despres in the top 4 and take my chances.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'd put Bennett in the top 6 and Despres in the top 4 and take my chances.
I wouldn't. Well, I would with Despres. I just don't see why we would want to rush Bennett. He has looked good, but he hasn't been so good that we can't justify keeping him out of the top 6. He isn't one of our 6 best forwards right now and we all agree we want to upgrade those forwards.

We don't need to rush him. He will get his chance. Having a full season under his belt wouldn't be a bad thing going into his first playoffs in a top 6 role.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
mpp9

Quote:
I wouldn't. Well, I would with Despres. I just don't see why we would want to rush Bennett. He has looked good, but he hasn't been so good that we can't justify keeping him out of the top 6. He isn't one of our 6 best forwards right now and we all agree we want to upgrade those forwards.

We don't need to rush him. He will get his chance. Having a full season under his belt wouldn't be a bad thing going into his first playoffs in a top 6 role.
We've already rushed him. The kid was injured most of last season in college hockey, played half a season in WBS getting acclimated to the pro game and was called up to help solve our issues in the top 6.

If he was losing boards battles, turning the puck over, floating and/or just looking a step slow for the NHL game, then yes, I'd say send him back down. But he's not. He's NHL ready. Let's see if he can be an upgrade for us in the top 6 this season. If not, we likely don't have a place on the team for him and he can be sent down.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsDoors View Post
I'm not against him being on the third line either but I completely agree that he shouldn't be playing with TK. Nobody can create anything with TK. Guys like Matt Cooke and Sutter are predictable. They are going to go to certain areas that "make sense" in certain situations. For example, Matt Cooke cutting the net last night when Sutter had the puck a few feet away on his back hand. He made it easy for Sutter to make a short little pass into an area that turned into a great scoring opportunity. I have no idea where Kennedy would have been in the same situation, and I doubt any of his teamates would have either but I'm guessing he would have headed to the corner instead of the net and taken the pass from Sutter around the back of the net for a bad angle shot from the wall.

I would really like to see Bennett cut his teeth playing with smart players who are in the areas of the smart plays. He can worry about becoming creative once he has confidence and the game slows down for him.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
We've already rushed him. The kid was injured most of last season in college hockey, played half a season in WBS getting acclimated to the pro game and was called up to help solve our issues in the top 6.

If he was losing boards battles, turning the puck over, floating and/or just looking a step slow for the NHL game, then yes, I'd say send him back down. But he's not. He's NHL ready. Let's see if he can be an upgrade for us in the top 6 this season. If not, we likely don't have a place on the team for him and he can be sent down.
Then play him on the third line instead of TK. I agree that he's NHL ready. That doesn't mean he's the best option. The goal of the playoffs is to win, not to develop Beau Bennett. If he's not one of our 4 best wings by the time the playoffs role around, he shouldn't be in our top 6.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Asked my wife, she couldn't decide which was more effeminating: Sunshine or Little Beau Peep. I'd say they got this one right!

Poor guy.
Either way, I can see why he's been playing more physical than we expected. If I had the nickname Sunshine, I'd be doing everything I could to shake it too

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Then play him on the third line instead of TK. I agree that he's NHL ready. That doesn't mean he's the best option. The goal of the playoffs is to win, not to develop Beau Bennett. If he's not one of our 4 best wings by the time the playoffs role around, he shouldn't be in our top 6.
Dupuis is going to put up his points no matter where he plays. Sutter needs an upgrade on his line as much as Sid/Geno. Dupuis fits what he needs to a T. Monster forechecker and our second best defensive forward on the team.

You're going to get more from Bennett playing him with guys who can finish and set him up. We didn't call him up so he could replace TK. He's top 6 or back in WBS come postseason IMO.

DB will make sure Bennett's minutes are cut in tight games or when holding leads anyway. Zero trust in rookies.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Dupuis is going to put up his points no matter where he plays. Sutter needs an upgrade on his line as much as Sid/Geno. Dupuis fits what he needs to a T. Monster forechecker and our second best defensive forward on the team.

You're going to get more from Bennett playing him with guys who can finish and set him up. We didn't call him up so he could replace TK. He's top 6 or back in WBS come postseason IMO.

DB will make sure Bennett's minutes are cut in tight games or when holding leads anyway. Zero trust in rookies.
Just like he did with Tangradi, who thrived when he went to the Jets with all that extra time. Anybody see what kind of minutes he`s getting lately?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Malkin and Neal need a defensively sound forechecker more than they need a creative playmaker. That's my point. The only way BB will find a permanent top 6 spot this season is if we bring in another defensively sound forechecker like Kulemin. I don't think BB and Neal are a good combination for either of our top centers. Neither brings the board work that they need. If BB were to go into our top 6, he and Neal would need to be split so each of Sid and Geno could have one of Dupuis and Kunitz. That's where Kulemin would come in. He'd let us do that while putting Dupuis on the third line.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 03-03-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old
03-03-2013, 10:32 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Just like he did with Tangradi, who thrived when he went to the Jets with all that extra time. Anybody see what kind of minutes he`s getting lately?
I'm past Tangradi. I'm talking about the legit NHL player in front of us. Doing everything a coach could ask for. Winning board battles, playing responsibly with and without the puck and contributing on the stat sheet. Yet TK is getting more shifts.

It's ok to admit DB is wrong in certain instances. I'll admit DB did a good thing in putting Cooke, Sutter and Neal together. Woke Neal up for sure.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Malkin and Neal need a defensively sound forechecker more than they need a creative playmaker. That's my point. The only way BB will find a permanent top 6 spot this season is if we bring in another defensively sound forechecker like Kulemin. I don't think BB and Neal are a good combination for either of our top centers. Neither brings the board work that they need. If BB were to go into our top 6, he and Neal would need to be split so each of Sid and Geno could have one of Dupuis and Kunitz. That's where Kulemin would come in. He'd let us do that while putting Dupuis on the third line.
Agreed. We need another forward who can consistently bring it on the forecheck. Getting Sid and Geno in the offensive zone on a regular basis will certainly help us turn things around defensively. At least take the pressure off them a little more while our coaching staff figures it out.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
I'm past Tangradi. I'm talking about the legit NHL player in front of us. Doing everything a coach could ask for. Winning board battles, playing responsibly with and without the puck and contributing on the stat sheet. Yet TK is getting more shifts.

It's ok to admit DB is wrong in certain instances. I'll admit DB did a good thing in putting Cooke, Sutter and Neal together. Woke Neal up for sure.
I wonder if we can ever learn by reviewing the past. Hmm...

Bennett is playing well. He is also a rookie who is generally getting decent minutes. Moen got more TOI than Galchenyuk yesterday too. This happens on every damn team.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote