HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stop Starting Vokoun

Old
03-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Lixxiq
@Lixxiq

vCash: 500
Stop Starting Vokoun

...except for back-to-back games. I beg you! Please!

Loved the signing in the off-season and really thought it was a good idea to bring in some competition for Flower but this is not fun anymore.

His numbers and performances are terrible. It's not just bad luck. He looks really really terrible out there.

Seriously, call up Zatkoff and do whatever you want with Vokoun.

I really can't watch and take this anymore.

Lixxiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Pancakes

He looked pretty solid earlier in the season. Of course back then we were playing better defensively too...

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Lixxiq
@Lixxiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
He looked pretty solid earlier in the season. Of course back then we were playing better defensively too...
IMO he had two good games this year. both vs. NYR.

I watched the game live, went to bed and watched the highlights right now and I think he's playing pretty pretty pretty bad.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixxiq View Post
I watched the game live, went to bed and watched the highlights right now and I think he's playing pretty pretty pretty bad.
He has been pretty bad. I think it's kinda snowballed on him because our defense has also been really bad. It's basically the Flyers playoff series all over again. Yeah MAF was not at his best in it, but our defense made the whole thing balloon on MAF as well.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Not trying to make excuses for him -- he has looked bad recently -- but I wonder, is he one of those goalies that needs to be playing a lot to get in his groove? Playing one game, sitting for two, playing one, then sitting for three, might be a cause for his shaky play.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Not trying to make excuses for him -- he has looked bad recently -- but I wonder, is he one of those goalies that needs to be playing a lot to get in his groove? Playing one game, sitting for two, playing one, then sitting for three, might be a cause for his shaky play.
That's what Caps fans said about him. He's much better when he's the starter than when he's sharing starts or being the backup. Although he did do well sharing starts with Fleury at the start of the year.

You don't give up on him after a handful of bad games either. He has a long track record of being a quality goalie. He should bounce back at some point but it may take him time to get used to playing a backup role.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:16 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Vokun has sucked recently, but the defense needs to stop playing like dog **** in front of him too.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Mister Hockey

I think he looks worse than Brent Johnson did last year, but Brent made a lot less money.

Vokoun looks like a bad goalie from the 70's. He flops too much and he can't get up. I think he needs to get Life Call.

Mister Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Lixxiq
@Lixxiq

I don't think he's a bad goalie but right now I don't want him to get starts except for back-to-back games until he bounces back!

He played over 600 games in this league and his stats last year and the year before are pretty solif so maybe it's really about letting him play a lot to find his groove, but this is not going to happen.

This is a shortened season, and yeah I agree that MAF looked a bit overplayed in the post-season but in a shortened season and I don't see this happening this year again. So start him! It's about home-ice-advantage in the post-season!

Old
03-03-2013, 01:34 AM
wgknestrick

He is not controlling the puck once it hits him. Once he solves this, he will be back in form. Neither goaltender has been playing all that well TTTT.

Pens need to start (gulp) trapping again.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:05 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Vokoun was a Norris contender in Florida. He was playing 70-80 games a year and seeing 50 shots a night. I can completely buy that he's a groove goaltender and needs shots and mins to do well.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I can buy that Vokoun is ideally better suited for more games than backup duty - in fact I remember several pointing that out when he was signed.

But the fact is that the way we have been playing defense since the Philly game in particular, but also several games before that, is going to make our goalies look bad more often than not. Or at least their stats will be bad.

I get disappointed with Vokoun when he allows goals such as Gionta's second, and also - albeit less so - when he gave up that rebound for the opening goal, because he should have frozen that.
But the rest are pretty much what it was at Florida. Looking unsteady, but basically very little he can do about the goals. And most of them look exactly like those against Fleury at Carolina. If someone would bother getting those same images for the goals against Vokoun as we had for the four Canes goals, this would be very much evident.

I don't want to paper over the problem or deal differently with Vokoun than last season with Fleury. But I don't think he has given up many BAAAD goals, which Johnson did last year and Fleury in his worst spells give up goals that just makes you want to hurl. Recently Vokoun has 'just' consistently given up (too) many.

...but again.... as long as our top D-men are taking turns having games where they are individually to blame for two to three instances of completely ****ing up their coverage, and we time and again see forwards fail to offer any support (losing their man going to the net), then we are going to keep seeing this. No matter who is in net.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:31 AM
DoktorZaius

It'd be easy to blame this all on Vokoun, but man, the D gave up some great chances. For at least 3 of those goals, you can barely blame him. Bear in mind that Letang was a -2 on the night despite having 4 assists. Which is just staggering. While his talent is still beyond question, some of his D zone decisions need to be questioned at length by the coaching staff.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Jacob

The D is giving up a lot of 2nd and 3rd opportunities.

Even still, I might be inclined to give Zatkoff a start sometime soon. Partly because Vokoun has struggled, and partly to see what we have in Zatkoff. Obviously we'd have to make a roster move to call him up, so waive Boychuk.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Steve Durbano

If I were the Habs, I'd be saying the same thing about Carey Price. He looked like one of those cardboard cut-outs in the net last night.

Steve Durbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Durbano View Post
If I were the Habs, I'd be saying the same thing about Carey Price. He looked like one of those cardboard cut-outs in the net last night.
but TV has done it 3 games in a row now. That said, the defensive game is really a mess right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
The D is giving up a lot of 2nd and 3rd opportunities.

Even still, I might be inclined to give Zatkoff a start sometime soon. Partly because Vokoun has struggled, and partly to see what we have in Zatkoff. Obviously we'd have to make a roster move to call him up, so waive Boychuk.
wouldn't we risk losing Zatkoff to waivers too?

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
We have two problems.

One is that the defence, apart from Despres, is terrible and not making it any easier for him. The second is that Vokoun himself is playing like a drunk man and is flopping all over the place.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Vokoun was a Norris contender in Florida. He was playing 70-80 games a year and seeing 50 shots a night. I can completely buy that he's a groove goaltender and needs shots and mins to do well.
Oh sweet he can play D? Perfect. We could really you a potential Norris trophy winner back there right now.

As far as people saying he's the type of goalie that needs to play a lot, why the hell did we give him 2M to be a backup then?

03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
JTG

I have noticed that Vokoun is sort of playing out of control lately. He's not playing as cool and calm as he did in the beginning of the season.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
Oh sweet he can play D? Perfect. We could really you a potential Norris trophy winner back there right now.

As far as people saying he's the type of goalie that needs to play a lot, why the hell did we give him 2M to be a backup then?
Vezina. You know what I meant, smart ass.

We paid him because there was potential he'd play a lot if Fleury faltered, and he still may. He wasn't getting regular starts in the beginning of the season, and he did a great job. If Fleury ***** the bed in the playoffs again, he will probably be pulled and not gone back to.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:45 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
He is not controlling the puck once it hits him. Once he solves this, he will be back in form. Neither goaltender has been playing all that well TTTT.

Pens need to start (gulp) trapping again.
Fleury has been excellent.

And vokoun is getting a harsh welcome to Pittsburgh Penguins hockey and defence. It's hard for any goalie to feel and look cool and collected behind that defence. Goalies will lose confidence in both themselves and the defended in front of them.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:48 AM
cheesedanish87

We need to keep on playing TV its much more important long term for the pens to make sure flower gets his rest then winning a couple extra games by playing flower more. TV obv hasn't played well lately but he usually does stop the first shot he gotta get better with the rebounds and pens def gotta play better in front of him. TV also has had allot of bad luck seems like every rebound goes right to the other player for a wide open net goal.

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
We have two problems.

One is that the defence, apart from Despres, is terrible and not making it any easier for him. The second is that Vokoun himself is playing like a drunk man and is flopping all over the place.
I'd argue that the D playing terrible is the cause and Vokoun playing like a drunk man is the effect.

I suppose someone could argue that the D has no trust in him and they are trying to do too much to protect him instead of playing within their assignments and skill level but when you consider the general consensus around here, after a loss, is that the goalie sucked I'm going to subscribe to the former theory.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:54 AM
SidTheKid8787

I beleive it's more of the breakdowns of the system. A goalie gets a couple behind him and he starts thinking too much and routine saves become "Eeek" moments.

MAF is used to it for the most part. Everything blew up on him in the 2012 playoffs though.

Voukon should get some easy starts versus weaker opponents, no matter if it's back to back or not but any game versus the top tier opponents, MAF should be in net including when it's his time to go versus lesser opponents in back to backs etc.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:15 AM
JimsDoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
We need to keep on playing TV its much more important long term for the pens to make sure flower gets his rest then winning a couple extra games by playing flower more. TV obv hasn't played well lately but he usually does stop the first shot he gotta get better with the rebounds and pens def gotta play better in front of him. TV also has had allot of bad luck seems like every rebound goes right to the other player for a wide open net goal.
MAF has started 14 of the 15 games he's appeared in this season, out of 22 games played. There's roughly 26 games left in the season. Pens need to win now and can't afford to keep playing TV at the rate they have been.

Last night was a must win game for the Pens while on a 2 game losing streak. There was no reason whatsoever for NOT starting your best goalie. I'm glad we got the win but was very fortunate to do so.

JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote