HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
DD is picking it up, last 8 games, 2-6-8 +4

Old
03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Kjell Dahlin

The Desharnais/Pacioretty entity is one of our main forces. Oh... and that kid who plays RW with them... he is not bad!

Old
03-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
DD is our worst player in the +/-, followed by Markov. Markov was also on the ice for 15 of them. Would you say Markov is a useless ? They have both the same role. They have to create offense. Desharnais is doing his job.

He had a slow start and was minus 5 after 11 games and since the 6-0 lost he is +3 and producing at 0.8 points per game. Granted he is not a #1 centerman, but he is doing what he is paid for. He is creating alot of scoring opportunities.

For the last goal, it was a 3 on 3 and the habs let the penguins have the blue line too easily. Pacioretty was week on that play and was out of position. Of course it would have been great to see DD coming back to pressure the puck holder. He was just too agressive in his forecheck and clearly tired. You also have to admit that it was a crazy game with so many mistakes on both side.
I did say that DD got upside....offensively he as major upside...but his downside is even bigger and i don't put any blame on him for last's night lost.

Having said that....don't compare a DD with Markov....Markov got also his problems defensively. But he didn't play for 2 years, he is 34 and played against top offensive line.....and he spent 345 minutes on the ice at even strenght...DD spent 283 minutes on the the ice, not against top players and he is in his prime!!!

Old
03-03-2013, 09:26 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
.DD spent 283 minutes on the the ice, not against top players and he is in his prime!!!
You have concrete evidence for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Wasn't great, wasn't bad. Doesn't deserve to be blamed for the last goal. Nothing to see here.
The thing is...
DD has to get some blame for one of the goals...
But not for this one!!!
He certainly faulted on the Crosby goal, but if we'd run out of town every player who faulted on one of the Pens goals, there wouldn't be any player left on that squad.

Besides, this point is moot, considering everything DD did during last game, and that his positives (faceoffs wons, non-garbage goal) far outweigh the negatives (hipchecking the D-Men who's at the goaline while the opposite center, who happens to be Sidney Crosby, rushes towards the net)

And if anything, blaming him for the last goal is pretty much evidence of bad faith -- and being more concerned about the name in the back -- than anything.

Quote:

The Habs allowed only 24 goals at even strenght.
Best in the league!!

But does it bother anyone that DD was on the ice for 15 of them (62.5%)?

Take off the 6-0 game against Toronto, that we were not winning anyways, and that number is down to 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Why talk about DD tonight ?
Because he's a monoissue poster whom 80% of his posts are about running DD out of town?

Last edited by overlords: 03-03-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old
03-03-2013, 09:43 AM
rockjngo

Did anyone see the last goal?

OMG DD glides back checking. OMFG. DD is the worst player in the defensive zone. After the face off DD should have stuck with Sutter and what does he do? He glides around and didn't even back check. Poor Pac, he was like what the heck? DD reminds me of Kovalev back checking. Please trade this guy.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If you want to pull out that card, Montreal has only given up 17 ES goals (9 ES goals against) while Pacioretty plays, so he's right up there with Desharnais.

Also, those minuses were from a couple of bad games. Everyone knows that DD and even Patch started off ice-cold. In the last 9 games, DD is a +4 with 8 points. Patch in the same time, has 12-points and is a +7. If the line continues to play the way they have over the past 2-3 weeks, we have no worries with them.

DD & Patch have been extremely unlucky. Their Goalie's SV% when they are on the ice has been poor (below .900). It has been improving of late though, and I expect in another couple of weeks, their SV% will be in line with most other players on the team. On the other hand, guys like Tomas Kaberle (who most think is weak defensively) has been extremely lucky as his G's have posted a .971 SV% while he's on the ice.

I wish there was somewhere we could find 4 on 4 stats. I seem to recall DD being on the ice for a lot of goals (even though he wasn't always part of them).

We just suck in OT either way, unfortunately. Just not as bad as the shootout.
Iknow DD got upside....i don't argue that....and i know (and i wrote it) that he did played well last couple of games.....offensively.

You talk about luck and unlucky....well ALL PLAYERS got bad games, bad slumps (Look at Plecky Lately), unlucky goals allowed and lucky goals scored.....that's no excuse to me.

Having been on the ice for 15 goals out of 24, while ALL FORWARD is 10 and below , it should be a concern, that line needs heelp

DD = 15 goals, time on ice at even strenght: 13m20/games
Plekanec= 10 goals. time on the ice at even strenght: 14m24/games
Gionta (got a lot of hate lately) = 9 goals, time on the ice at even strenght: 14M50
Eller: 7 goals, time on the ice even strenght: 11m46

And mayby that is Pacioretty the problem, i don't know....but Pacioretty's offensive upside are way better than DD's.

As for the 4 on 4...Habs scored once this year and 5 times last year....so nobody is hot at 4 on 4!!

Old
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post

OMG DD glides back checking. OMFG. DD is the worst player in the defensive zone. After the face off DD should have stuck with Sutter and what does he do? He glides around and didn't even back check. Poor Pac, he was like what the heck? DD reminds me of Kovalev back checking. Please trade this guy.
Did you see it?

Desharnais sure was not backchecking as hard as usual (an understatement! He was gliding and looked tired – in his defense, there was a PIT player behind him) on that play but Pacioretty acted like a headless chicken: he was hypnotised by the puck, backchecked way to deep in our zone and left his man (Sutter) completely free.

90% of the blame goes on Pacioretty and Price/Desharnais shoulder the rest of it.

Ref.: http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020306

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 03-03-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: 2T, 1R!
Old
03-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Habtchum*

This thread reminds me one of the South Park movie's theme and song: "Blame it on Canadians"

Here, everytime there is a loss is the easy lazy one: ”Blame it on DD".

Old
03-03-2013, 10:08 AM
MXD

Quote:

This is what happens when hate interferes with capacity of analysis.
THERE WAS A PLAYER BEHIND DD!!! That guy had be somewhat taken care off.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
You have concrete evidence for this?

Take off the 6-0 game against Toronto, that we were not winning anyways, and that number is down to 11.

Because he's a monoissue poster whom 80% of his posts are about running DD out of town?
Yeah i got concrete evidence of that....Behindthenet.com and NHL.com stats.
It's all there.

Even without the game at Toronto....still the worst of the team (And others were on the ice at Toronto).

I might be posting about DD's a lot, i openly admit it.....but i'm not saying things to freely bash him up...i always got numbers, stats, facts backing up my opinions and what i'm saying.

But in the end, even if you called me a monoissues poster, still doesn't mean that i'm wrong!

ALL PLAYERS got upsides and downsides....even Crosby got his downside....to appreciate a player you got to look at BOTH and see if the upside is worth the downsides....in the case of DD, i personnaly don't think there's a good balance!!

Old
03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
MXD

Quote:
It's all there.
!
Evidence about facing weak competition. Not about being on the ice for the most ES goals against.

Besides, his SV% while on ice is too low, and you happen to conveniently take that off your analysis.

And calling you a monoissue poster just means you probably aren't qualified to talk about ANYTHING, considering you don't seem to have an opinion other than DD must leave.

Don't worry : DD is back next year, unless he asks for too much. (In which case I'd probably be the first guy willing to drive him to the airport...)

Old
03-03-2013, 10:13 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Did you see it?

Desharnais sure was not backchecking as hard as usual (an understatement! He was gliding and looked tired – in his defense, there was a PIT player behind him) on that play but Pacioretty acted like a headless chicken: he was hypnotised by the puck, backchecked way to deep in our zone and left his man (Sutter) completely free.

90% of the blame goes on Pacioretty and Price/Desharnais shoulder the rest of it.

Ref.: http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020306
I would agree with that. Good post. When I saw maxpac dive i couldn't believe it. Awful coverage.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
It's all there.

Even without the game at Toronto....still the worst of the team (And others were on the ice at Toronto).

I might be posting about DD's a lot, i openly admit it.....but i'm not saying things to freely bash him up...i always got numbers, stats, facts backing up my opinions and what i'm saying.

But in the end, even if you called me a monoissues poster, still doesn't mean that i'm wrong!

ALL PLAYERS got upsides and downsides....even Crosby got his downside....to appreciate a player you got to look at BOTH and see if the upside is worth the downsides....in the case of DD, i personnaly don't think there's a good balance!!
Maybe you should spend the same efforts crunching other players stats.

DD might not be the best, but look around him and you will find that all the other players have failures in their games.

This bashing is childish as hell. Where were you last season when he was doing well.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu

Quote:
Iknow DD got upside....i don't argue that....and i know (and i wrote it) that he did played well last couple of games.....offensively.

You talk about luck and unlucky....well ALL PLAYERS got bad games, bad slumps (Look at Plecky Lately), unlucky goals allowed and lucky goals scored.....that's no excuse to me.

Having been on the ice for 15 goals out of 24, while ALL FORWARD is 10 and below , it should be a concern, that line needs heelp

DD = 15 goals, time on ice at even strenght: 13m20/games
Plekanec= 10 goals. time on the ice at even strenght: 14m24/games
Gionta (got a lot of hate lately) = 9 goals, time on the ice at even strenght: 14M50
Eller: 7 goals, time on the ice even strenght: 11m46

And mayby that is Pacioretty the problem, i don't know....but Pacioretty's offensive upside are way better than DD's.

As for the 4 on 4...Habs scored once this year and 5 times last year....so nobody is hot at 4 on 4!!
Meanwhile, 2 columns to the left on the page where you got your oh-so very eye-opening stats, nhl.com also shows who's been on the ice for the Habs' GF (i.e. goals for... interesting stat if you're actually into what makes you win games):

Desharnais 22
Pacioretty 21
Plekanec 20
Gionta 19
Gallagher 17
Bourque 17
Prust 15
Galchenyuk 14
Eller 12
Moen 5
Armstrong 5
White 4

Love is blindness

Quote:
Maybe you should spend the same efforts crunching other players stats.

DD might not be the best, but look around him and you will find that all the other players have failures in their games.

This bashing is childish as hell. Where were you last season when he was doing well.
What he said.

Last edited by Bloumeister: 03-03-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: bolded stats for dramatic effect ;)
Old
03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
rockjngo

Quote:
No, the center should keep an eye on the center, which DD didn't. They teach you this when you lose a faceoff.

The Pits goal DD wasn't backchecking Sutter (yeah a little luck)
The Pits second goal, DD was the LAST GUY coming back in the screen, what TSN. Our system is every guy back blocking shooting lane and DD took his time gliding back.
The winning goal DD lost the face off and left Sutter wide open and again gliding back.

I hope management sees this and get rid of this guy.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:18 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Be honest here. This is the habs fanbase. ANY player back checks like that, whether they were responsible for the OT goal or not, they're gonna get ripped to shreds. That's just how it is.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
No, the center should keep an eye on the center, which DD didn't. They teach you this when you lose a faceoff.

The Pits goal DD wasn't backchecking Sutter (yeah a little luck)
The Pits second goal, DD was the LAST GUY coming back in the screen, what TSN. Our system is every guy back blocking shooting lane and DD took his time gliding back.
The winning goal DD lost the face off and left Sutter wide open and again gliding back.

There is six coaches and eight guys upstais ti o analyse a player's performance way better than all the posters on this whole board.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:20 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
There is six coaches and eight guys upstais ti o analyse a player's performance way better than all the posters on this whole board.
You don't have to discuss hockey here, then, if you don't want to. Do you have any actual arguments?

Old
03-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
You don't have to discuss hockey here, then, if you don't want to. Do you have any actual arguments?
Was I talking to you , sir ?

Anyway, if the Habs would not had lost in OT yesterday, they would had lost it in SO.

No one to score goals in OS and no one to stop pucks neither.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:29 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

Agreed can you explain how he gets number one pp time when he is our third best center
Does he have pictures of jeff molson or bergeron
Folks he is what he is a finesse player who cant do anthing unless he has top players to work with
Eller pleks and galchy are better and bring more to the table
I think he is showcased for a deal a total liability on faceoffs and defensively
You are nuts to extend this guy , a 50 point soft player
What more does eller have to get some pp time

Old
03-03-2013, 10:29 AM
MXD

Quote:
I understand that the question wasn't asked to me, but...

+ Considering the awful amount of cherry-picking by some usual suspects;

+ And considering that there's, indeed, a lot of personnel whose job is to make those decisions;

+ And considering that this staff don't hate players, as opposed to, well, usual suspects;

Well, that was kindof a pretty good reply in the circumstances. Not much room for discussion, I concur, but when face with the irrationnal, why even bother with discussion?

Old
03-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Evidence about facing weak competition. Not about being on the ice for the most ES goals against.

Besides, his SV% while on ice is too low, and you happen to conveniently take that off your analysis.

And calling you a monoissue poster just means you probably aren't qualified to talk about ANYTHING, considering you don't seem to have an opinion other than DD must leave.

Don't worry : DD is back next year, unless he asks for too much. (In which case I'd probably be the first guy willing to drive him to the airport...)
It's all on NHL.com!!
DD has been on the ice for 16 goals total minus 1 in PK....so it's 15.

Well, my friend, i have many opinions....i don't know if you speak french, but most know me as Milhouse40 and i've been writing blogs for the last 4 years (writing about 3 to 4 times a week, summer included) on RDS.ca and probably the most constant bloggers there (go see for yourself...and yeah, i've been talking a lot about DD there for the last couples of weeks).

But hey...you should focus more on what i write than who i am.....

Old
03-03-2013, 10:30 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
You are nuts to extend this guy , a 50 point soft player
What more does eller have to get some pp time
Get traded to a worst team.

Or take Gionta's spot.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:31 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Well, "this guy", as you say, is one of the most offensive forward on this team, and one of the most exciting player to watch as a fan. But if what you like to do as a fan is to bash the players of your own team when they have success, then I'm pretty sure that this team would welcome you as a fan.

And this board would surely breathe better without "this fan".

Old
03-03-2013, 10:32 AM
MXD

Quote:

But hey...you should focus more on what i write than who i am.....
You're a monoissue poster.

That mainly concerns what you write.

Closed Thread