HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calling Kyle Turris but he ain't pickin up.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 09:17 AM
  #51
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg
 
2CHAINZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: We global Son
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 984

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:32 AM
  #52
utah
Registered User
 
utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Turris has been dreadful at one thing: he's been terrifyingly bad at faceoffs

I think this ties into him not scoring

He needs to win some faceoffs if he's going to be an effective centre
His current year to date faceoff percentage is 49.7%

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
  #53
BadMcFadden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynson spetzky View Post
Anyone else notice how often Turris falls down? It's the oddest thing. Overall he's a great skater but several times a game he'll randomly catch an edge, or slip, or whatever and he's on his ass.

That's not to knock him or anything, I think he's doing an admirable job given the roll he's been forced to take. The goals will come eventually.
Yep this is noticeable. "Turris falls down" gets called a lot by the play-by-play commentator. At the start of the season it wasn't happening, thought maybe the conditioning over the summer had paid dividends but we're back to him falling down randomly all the time.

One play last night he fell going into the offensive zone, then got back up and fell again when the puck was passed to him (believe it was the 3-on-2 mentioned earlier).

He also complains a lot to the refs during face offs, I don't know if that's rightly so or not tho.

BadMcFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:08 PM
  #54
OD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
First, I do like this kid a lot and think he does have room to grown.

That said, Turris has been pretty bad offensively lately no question but I don't think he is ever going to be a dynamic scorer. Look at the goals he has scored so far - a shot that really should have been stopped against the Jets, a gimme off a great feed, another gimme off a great feed then another gimme from Alfie.

He isn't getting into very good scoring positions and he is not getting his shot off very much at all...he is behind Neil for God's sake. The reality is he needs to start forcing things to the middle (although that goes for the whole team as well) and either get a shot or distribute the puck to players in good positions.

He is a great skater and seems to have good vision but he isn't an exceptional playmaker or scorer although he does have very high end defensive ability which is great but a C2 needs to compliment that with more scoring.

Not trying to slam him since entire team is struggling to score (plus Turris has a rookie on his left wing that isn't getting into the best positions either) but I hope he can start to produce soon.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
  #55
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Reading a lot of the comments I am not sure if I am in the Zack Smith thread or Kyle Turris thread. Kyle Turris has exactly the same goals as our checking line center in the last dozen or so games...not good.

He has been disappointing. What is it now...16 games no goals? He looks slow, timid, predictable. All the signs of a player who has zero confidence. Even his shootouts are predictably bad. So he is good defensively? That is not really his job although I am happy he has held up that end of his job.

Has no zip on his shot and just looks too cautious out there, slow. I think that it is time to give Regin a shot at that line. I am a Turris fan but this has gone on way too long and Coach definitely has a long leash here.


Last edited by coladin: 02-27-2013 at 01:11 PM.
coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:38 AM
  #56
Canuckman44
Registered User
 
Canuckman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gatineau/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post
First, I do like this kid a lot and think he does have room to grown.

That said, Turris has been pretty bad offensively lately no question but I don't think he is ever going to be a dynamic scorer. Look at the goals he has scored so far - a shot that really should have been stopped against the Jets, a gimme off a great feed, another gimme off a great feed then another gimme from Alfie.

He isn't getting into very good scoring positions and he is not getting his shot off very much at all...he is behind Neil for God's sake. The reality is he needs to start forcing things to the middle (although that goes for the whole team as well) and either get a shot or distribute the puck to players in good positions.

He is a great skater and seems to have good vision but he isn't an exceptional playmaker or scorer although he does have very high end defensive ability which is great but a C2 needs to compliment that with more scoring.

Not trying to slam him since entire team is struggling to score (plus Turris has a rookie on his left wing that isn't getting into the best positions either) but I hope he can start to produce soon.
I think Turris needs to shoot another step away for the opposing D. He seems to get 80% of his shots deflected into the mesh when he come in the middle. Secondly he does not win battles along the boards. The centreman must be down low in both ends and support. This means Battling at times and he seems to lack the "balls" to get down and dirty. Finesse is one thing but your centre better be tougher than he has been. If you are not scoring you better be GRINDING.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:02 AM
  #57
OD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Well it looks like the Paulrus thought Turris wasn't as good as he could be last night (conversely I think he saw Regin was skating well) as he moved him away from Alfie and Silf.

I liked the move - thought that the new line had a lot more jump and would like to see if they can keep it up. I also like the idea of Zibby being more of a 3rd line guy for now - for whatever reason he has played much better in a bottom 6 role than a top 6.

Can someone try having Turris paged maybe?

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:09 AM
  #58
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,529
vCash: 500
I think if Turris closed his mouth he would be a much more effective player

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:12 AM
  #59
Tuna99
Registered User
 
Tuna99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
If you bring the phone to the perimeter he'll answer the call, problem here is your phone is in the low slot and Turris just don't go there

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:15 AM
  #60
OD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
That is true for the most part but he did have a chance (in OT I believe) from right in the slot after Zibby turned the puck over behind the Bruins net...Turris just couldn't bury it.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:15 AM
  #61
MrG
#BurgerTime
 
MrG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Agree with majority of the points made here.

Seems like having Spezz manning the 1C must've been nice insolation for him. He looks like he's squeezing the stick trying to do too much and it's resulting in some bad decisions and some bad turnovers.

Not sure what the solution is for him here. Would like to see him peel off the boards from the corner a little more and take the puck straight to the net.

Frustrating to watch him right now. Very ineffective offensively.

MrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
  #62
KarlSen
Registered User
 
KarlSen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
He's in a slump. It happens.

Maclean's shft to put him with Z and Regin with Alfie and Silf seemed to pay off. He got better chances than he has for a few games, and Regin has some nice bounce in his step and is fitting in. Hopefully that will net a goal or two for Turris and he gets some swagger going.

Looks like the no scoring and pressure had him over thinking things and losing some confidence. It will take a bit to turn that around. Maclean is the coach to do it.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:28 PM
  #63
KarlssonnSchultz
Registered User
 
KarlssonnSchultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Anybody else wanna see Paul try Z and Silfverberg on a line together?

KarlssonnSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:38 PM
  #64
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlssonnSchultz View Post
Anybody else wanna see Paul try Z and Silfverberg on a line together?
I'd like to see Michalek - Zibanejad - Silfverberg and Greening - Turris - Alfredsson tbh

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:17 PM
  #65
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 28,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post
His current year to date faceoff percentage is 49.7%
The caveat my post "He's been recently terryflingly awful at faceoffs"

Might have something to do with Spezza's injury: he might have been great at faceoffs before being put on the top line.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
  #66
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 24,149
vCash: 500
He's not a 1st line center and he's not paid like one. He's young and can still get better.

He's at 0.5-0.55 PPG on a team that is having trouble scoring. He's not embarrassing himself at all in his added responsibility. To be honest, there isn't much to complain about.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:43 PM
  #67
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
He's not a 1st line center and he's not paid like one. He's young and can still get better.

He's at 0.5-0.55 PPG on a team that is having trouble scoring. He's not embarrassing himself at all in his added responsibility. To be honest, there isn't much to complain about.
id say no goals in 16 games is something to complain about from any offensive player.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
  #68
OD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
He's not a 1st line center and he's not paid like one. He's young and can still get better.

He's at 0.5-0.55 PPG on a team that is having trouble scoring. He's not embarrassing himself at all in his added responsibility. To be honest, there isn't much to complain about.

He has 2 assists in the last 10 games and now hasn't scored in what, 17 games?

I agree his isn't a #1 center and he wasn't brought in to be one but he should be able to create at least a little offense on his own and he isn't doing it.

I am not trying to run him down and I see the good that he does but he needs to be better and gripping the stick too tight or not that pressure is deserved and he needs to find a way to put the puck in the net.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:42 PM
  #69
jordan7hm
Registered User
 
jordan7hm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
id say no goals in 16 games is something to complain about from any offensive player.
No puck luck right now.

It wouldn't be as big a deal if A) he wasn't our default #1 center and B) someone else was scoring ****ing goals. Nobody is scoring, it's not just Turris.

Ottawa's sh% is stupid low right now.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:03 AM
  #70
Senators Growing
Next year again...
 
Senators Growing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
No puck luck right now.

It wouldn't be as big a deal if A) he wasn't our default #1 center and B) someone else was scoring ****ing goals. Nobody is scoring, it's not just Turris.

Ottawa's sh% is stupid low right now.
Didn't Turris say he would score 30 goals during a new contract interview? Expectations may have been raised when he proclaimed himself to be a consistent scorer. Of course, maybe those 30 goals are total over the length of his contract...so he could still be right.

Not hitting the panic button quite yet, but if we keep losiing and Turris still doesn't produce, he's got prime whipping boy material written all over him.

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:18 AM
  #71
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 500
Don't care for individual player performances this year.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:28 AM
  #72
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcy View Post
Yep this is noticeable. "Turris falls down" gets called a lot by the play-by-play commentator. At the start of the season it wasn't happening, thought maybe the conditioning over the summer had paid dividends but we're back to him falling down randomly all the time.

One play last night he fell going into the offensive zone, then got back up and fell again when the puck was passed to him (believe it was the 3-on-2 mentioned earlier).

He also complains a lot to the refs during face offs, I don't know if that's rightly so or not tho.
He was the same in Phoenix. Always on his ***

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:00 AM
  #73
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?
 
Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,713
vCash: 500
1.4 million is big money now?

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:54 AM
  #74
gatosauce12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Remember what happened last time Turris played the Islanders in New York without Spezza?

gatosauce12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:56 AM
  #75
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
1.4 million is big money now?
And next year, the year after and the year after etc. and with the salary cap going down.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.