HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Conference Discussion (Realignment Approved, Detroit and Columbus Leaving)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2013, 01:59 AM
  #226
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberelise View Post
I'm apparently in the minority, but I'm thrilled with this conference. There will be a good rivalry with the Blues and the Wild.

Nashville is one of the best arenas, with great fans, in the league.

The Stars/Avalanche have at least been decent in somewhat recent memory. And, I'd rather them over the Blue Jackets.

And, frankly, I'd rather NOT play the Red Wings all the time. We'll all forget about the Wings in about two years anyway. And, besides, who really wants to go to that city to watch a game anyway? If you want to go to Michigan to watch a game, go to the U of M. That's entertaining.
Speak for yourself, I have hated the Red Wings or Redwings or whatever the hell they want to call themselves since I was born basically. I don't care about some crappy teams arena where a bunch of rednecks watch hockey, or the Avalanche or Stars who are meaningless to the Hawks. I do care about the 2nd most played rivalry in all of hockey and that the Hawks are the only O6 team in the west. The NHL sucks up to the Wings and the New York area teams but tells Chicago to shove it.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:10 AM
  #227
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Also, how does this new plan fair when Phoenix is moved to Quebec in 8-16 months?

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:27 AM
  #228
Redwings 1926
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I think the problem is you have become an irritant to some with your constant posts. Wouldn't you have a more fruitful discussion back on your own board?
No, because on my own board, I'd simply be preaching to the choir, and would hear stories like "One time I went to a game at the United Center wearing a Wings sweater, and some idiot Hawks fan told me and my kid to F off and then punched my wife in the face". That's not why I came here.

If I'm such an irritant to some then my advice to them is to either ignore me or come back with an at least half way intelligent response.

If you are going to call me names then I am going to respond. I am not here to start flame wars or troll, just talk hockey. That's it.

Redwings 1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:42 AM
  #229
Azilis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochelle, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Also, how does this new plan fair when Phoenix is moved to Quebec in 8-16 months?
That's the main thing that doesn't make sense to me. If Phoenix moves east or the league decides at some point to expand with a 2nd Toronto team, these new conferences are going to have to change. Either that or teams other than the Red Wings are going to have a really bad travel schedule due to being located in the wrong time zone for the conference.

I'm not sure why keeping Detroit in the new "central" division would be a problem, especially when moving them east unbalances the conferences. If the first two rounds of the playoffs are within the division, that minimizes the odds of having to play a west coast team early in the playoffs, even with possible wild card spots.

Azilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:07 AM
  #230
Redwings 1926
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Speak for yourself, I have hated the Red Wings or Redwings or whatever the hell they want to call themselves since I was born basically. I don't care about some crappy teams arena where a bunch of rednecks watch hockey, or the Avalanche or Stars who are meaningless to the Hawks. I do care about the 2nd most played rivalry in all of hockey and that the Hawks are the only O6 team in the west. The NHL sucks up to the Wings and the New York area teams but tells Chicago to shove it.
The funny thing about hockey fans is the conspiracy theories. Fans everywhere seem to think that the NHL has it out for their favorite team. Hawks fans think they are sucking up to the Wings; Wings fans, among others, think they are favoring southern market teams in an attempt to "grow the game", and Canadian fans seem to think the league is anti-Canada. Heck, even Penguins fans think the league is somehow conspiring against them, even though everyone else seems to agree that Bettman and Crosby are booty partners.

With all of that said, I don't buy the notion that the NHL is telling "Chicago to shove it". That would be stupid when considering that they are the nation's 3rd largest market and an original 6 team. The Hawks are one of the league's most valuable organizations.

Redwings 1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:15 AM
  #231
Redwings 1926
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberelise View Post
I'm apparently in the minority, but I'm thrilled with this conference. There will be a good rivalry with the Blues and the Wild.

Nashville is one of the best arenas, with great fans, in the league.

The Stars/Avalanche have at least been decent in somewhat recent memory. And, I'd rather them over the Blue Jackets.

And, frankly, I'd rather NOT play the Red Wings all the time. We'll all forget about the Wings in about two years anyway. And, besides, who really wants to go to that city to watch a game anyway? If you want to go to Michigan to watch a game, go to the U of M. That's entertaining.
I'm with you on the realignment, but I don't think any of those teams will be able to take the place of the Wings. The Red Wings and Blackhawks go all the way back to 1926, and have played each other more than any other two teams, except the the Bruins and Canadiens. The most significant rivals I think the Hawks would have in this situation would be the Blues.

Redwings 1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:49 AM
  #232
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,797
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I would absolutely love more games at 6 central. We can't all have jobs that start at 8+. I went to college so I wouldn't have a job that started at 6, but apparently I still have to with a 30 minute 'commute'. 9-930 starts are literally starting when I'm just about to go to bed or in bed.
We can't all have jobs that start before 11. 7:30 starts allow me enough time to get home and watch the first period without showering before the first intermission if I need to stop at a gas station or the corner store to pick up a six pack. Love these late games, but I'm spoiled by my 11am start time.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:57 AM
  #233
committedindian86
Flip The Switch
 
committedindian86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwings 1926 View Post
Worried? The Red Wings are in 5th place right now, which means that if the season were to end today, they'd be in the playoffs.

With that said, don't get cocky now. Winning during the regular season is one thing. Winning in the playoffs is quite another. Just ask the Los Angles Kings, or the 2006 Red Wings and 1991 Blackhawks for that matter.
I quoted your post. You said Hawks fans shouldn't worry about the Wings aging rosters realignment to the East. That's hypocritical coming from a Wings fan who's saying it doesn't matter to anyone but Wings fans.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:06 AM
  #234
VM1138
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Realignment makes sense for travel, TV times, and rivalries. It'll suck to break up the Chicago-Detroit rivalry, but we Detroit fans can look forward to reigniting the Toronto-Detroit rivalry, or developing a new one with Boston.

Chicago gets the shaft a bit on interesting matchups, but not every team can benefit. Detroit is in the Eastern time zone and is geographically closer to teams like Toronto than most of the West. It's not an evil conspiracy or favoritism, it's just logic. It sucks to break Chicago up from Detroit, but what else would you have them do? It just seems like moving Chicago east would cause even more logistics problems.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
  #235
committedindian86
Flip The Switch
 
committedindian86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Realignment makes sense for travel, TV times, and rivalries. It'll suck to break up the Chicago-Detroit rivalry, but we Detroit fans can look forward to reigniting the Toronto-Detroit rivalry, or developing a new one with Boston.

Chicago gets the shaft a bit on interesting matchups, but not every team can benefit. Detroit is in the Eastern time zone and is geographically closer to teams like Toronto than most of the West. It's not an evil conspiracy or favoritism, it's just logic. It sucks to break Chicago up from Detroit, but what else would you have them do? It just seems like moving Chicago east would cause even more logistics problems.
With the 4 division/conference alignment, it would have allowed the league to place Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, and Winnipeg into a division/conference without most of your 10pm games that you hate so much, except when they play out of conference games. Breaking up the 2nd most played rivalry in the NHL, two O6 teams is a bad call IMO. They will leave only one O6 team in the West and eradicate a lot of history in the process.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
  #236
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,724
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
With the 4 division/conference alignment, it would have allowed the league to place Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, and Winnipeg into a division/conference without most of your 10pm games that you hate so much, except when they play out of conference games. Breaking up the 2nd most played rivalry in the NHL, two O6 teams is a bad call IMO. They will leave only one O6 team in the West and eradicate a lot of history in the process.
Exactly. Last year's proposal made so much more sense on so many levels.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:07 AM
  #237
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Exactly. Last year's proposal made so much more sense on so many levels.
I agree with this. I think we have the NHLPA to thank for that not going through.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
  #238
Ace Rothstein
Aces High
 
Ace Rothstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,093
vCash: 547
The wild cards for the playoff spots in the West will potentially not cut down on travel, depending on how the standings end up. I think based on last year's standings that the Kings would have been playing the Blues in the first round. Ditch the wild card and you have a slight improvement on the current proposal.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:02 AM
  #239
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,231
vCash: 500
NHL is run by morons, what'd you expect?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
  #240
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
We can't all have jobs that start before 11. 7:30 starts allow me enough time to get home and watch the first period without showering before the first intermission if I need to stop at a gas station or the corner store to pick up a six pack. Love these late games, but I'm spoiled by my 11am start time.
Obviously we all work different schedules. Didn't mean to imply anything like you're taking offense to. Probably shouldn't have lead with "we can't all...". Anyways, everyone works different schedules, and there are lots of people who wouldn't mind the earlier starts, and people who like the later starts.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:57 AM
  #241
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 1625
It would be pretty hilarious if Detroit spent one year playing with EST teams and then had to move over because the Yotes moved to QC.

You know what, I want this to happen.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:02 PM
  #242
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,797
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Obviously we all work different schedules. Didn't mean to imply anything like you're taking offense to. Probably shouldn't have lead with "we can't all...". Anyways, everyone works different schedules, and there are lots of people who wouldn't mind the earlier starts, and people who like the later starts.
I meant no offense and none was taken. Just like you, I was simply commenting on how the start times affected me.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:40 PM
  #243
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
With the 4 division/conference alignment, it would have allowed the league to place Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, and Winnipeg into a division/conference without most of your 10pm games that you hate so much, except when they play out of conference games. Breaking up the 2nd most played rivalry in the NHL, two O6 teams is a bad call IMO. They will leave only one O6 team in the West and eradicate a lot of history in the process.
Yeah that's why this new alignment is unnecessary. With the first proposal, Detroit would have ended up playing only 8 games the entire year in the pacific/mountain time zones with the home and home against each out of conference team.

And if the Wings are stilly unhappy, just have games out west on Saturdays or Sundays during the day/early evening.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:42 PM
  #244
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,724
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Yeah that's why this new alignment is unnecessary. With the first proposal, Detroit would have ended up playing only 8 games the entire year in the pacific/mountain time zones with the home and home against each out of conference team.
The league must feel that less central time games, 8-8:30 starts in Detroit, is better for TV.

Basically, the league is bowing to the feet of News Corp - FS Detroit.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:43 PM
  #245
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Detroit complained yet has been the model franchise and has 4 Cups in the last 16 years.

Makes sense.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:11 AM
  #246
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwings 1926 View Post
I come from a family of generations of Wings fans, and have talked a lot of hockey with a lot of people over the years, and well, let me put it this way. I don't think we do any more "whining" about the schedule than Blackhawks fans do about the Red Wings and their fans. I have been to a lot of Hawks forums only to notice that a good portion of the threads on there are dedicated to hating on the Wings.

I could kind of sympathize with you all back when you had that cheap, stubborn mule running the organization into the ground and alienating fans and former players, but that is far from the case now. The Hawks have an owner who cares about actually winning and a Stanley Cup championship in recent memory to show for it, so I don't quite get it now. I just want to say "hey, you have a great team now. Enjoy it, and quit worrying about the Wings".

At the end of the day, I am like you in the sense that I want to see more original 6, and even some "Class of 1967" match-ups, and am tired of all of these west coast teams no one cares about. The NHL certainly doesn't benefit when those teams win either.
Look, I've lived in Michigan for almost 20 years, and have shared Wings season tickets every one of those. I'm in the huge minority on this board, but they're my second favorite team. I've watched the vast majority of their guys come through Grand Rapids over the years.

I don't recall us ever complaining about the Wings' pathetic years when they were know as the "Dead Wings" or "Dead Things". Every team goes through up and down cycles. Our owner had to leave this earth for the Hawks to improve. And certainly, reading the threads from both sides, the Wings fans do come here and troll way more than the other way around, always looking to discredit Hawks accomplishments, or denigrate the team or its players. An annoying fact. Regardless of whether you realize it, your post is more of the same.

While obviously you mean no harm, it's annoying that you come into this thread, which serves as a catharsis for our feelings, and tell us that it doesn't matter who we play our games against. You're looking at it from a Redwings fan perspective on a Hawks board. It's not just about the Wings, it's just that the Wings are the last team left in a continual chipping away that's left us with NO historical matchups for the huge majority of a season. The Wings are the Hawks last stand over the years of realignments.

It is important for the Hawks to keep some connection to the 5 and 11 other teams against whom they have played the greatest historical number of games. They are now on an island with really only the St. Louis Blues as an important rival in the new alignment. From my standpoint, being a relative old-timer in these parts, that sucks. I have to say, I don't care about any of the west coast teams, am intrigued a bit about the Avalanche (mostly because of their full-on tilts against the Wings), and am conflicted about the Stars/Wild. That's it.

The teens and 20-somethings here might not care because they know nothing else, but I do. I'd love to hate the Rangers again for a reason besides them being a New York team. I used to really dislike Ratelle, Hadfield, Gilbert, Park, Giacomin et al. Still hate the Canadiens, but even that's fading. Nothing is left. It will take 20 years for me to care about San Jose, Winnipeg, Phoenix/whoever, etc...

There are a bunch of realignment options on Hockey Prospectus that I gave links to earlier in this thread. From my standpoint, 30 options easily would have been better than this one.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:24 AM
  #247
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
Look, I've lived in Michigan for almost 20 years, and have shared Wings season tickets every one of those. I'm in the huge minority on this board, but they're my second favorite team. I've watched the vast majority of their guys come through Grand Rapids over the years.

I don't recall us ever complaining about the Wings' pathetic years when they were know as the "Dead Wings" or "Dead Things". Every team goes through up and down cycles. Our owner had to leave this earth for the Hawks to improve. And certainly, reading the threads from both sides, the Wings fans do come here and troll way more than the other way around, always looking to discredit Hawks accomplishments, or denigrate the team or its players. An annoying fact. Regardless of whether you realize it, your post is more of the same.

While obviously you mean no harm, it's annoying that you come into this thread, which serves as a catharsis for our feelings, and tell us that it doesn't matter who we play our games against. You're looking at it from a Redwings fan perspective on a Hawks board. It's not just about the Wings, it's just that the Wings are the last team left in a continual chipping away that's left us with NO historical matchups for the huge majority of a season. The Wings are the Hawks last stand over the years of realignments.

It is important for the Hawks to keep some connection to the 5 and 11 other teams against whom they have played the greatest historical number of games. They are now on an island with really only the St. Louis Blues as an important rival in the new alignment. From my standpoint, being a relative old-timer in these parts, that sucks. I have to say, I don't care about any of the west coast teams, am intrigued a bit about the Avalanche (mostly because of their full-on tilts against the Wings), and am conflicted about the Stars/Wild. That's it.

The teens and 20-somethings here might not care because they know nothing else, but I do. I'd love to hate the Rangers again for a reason besides them being a New York team. I used to really dislike Ratelle, Hadfield, Gilbert, Park, Giacomin et al. Still hate the Canadiens, but even that's fading. Nothing is left. It will take 20 years for me to care about San Jose, Winnipeg, Phoenix/whoever, etc...

There are a bunch of realignment options on Hockey Prospectus that I gave links to earlier in this thread. From my standpoint, 30 options easily would have been better than this one.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:05 AM
  #248
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,231
vCash: 500
great post PVR

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:22 AM
  #249
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,570
vCash: 10592
Also agreed with PVR, this is a very half assed alignment that ignores rivalries. I get the TV thing. However, as one of the few people in this world who watches NHL on TV, I'd much prefer the Hawks played road games in the eastern time zone, and it seems like more people would prefer that too. But hey, what the hell do we know?

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
  #250
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,724
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
However, as one of the few people in this world who watches NHL on TV, I'd much prefer the Hawks played road games in the eastern time zone, and it seems like more people would prefer that too. But hey, what the hell do we know?
CSN would not like that at all, no.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.