HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Cup of Hope (Kubok Nadezhdy) 2013 [parallel to the Gagarin Cup]

View Poll Results: What's your take on the game winning goal of Game 3?
Goal 2 28.57%
No Goal. 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2013, 11:42 AM
SoundAndFury

vCash: 500
I must say Supler's love to Holt is pretty ridiculous. He has Laco, who IMO is a better goalie to begin with, on the bench while he plays Holt two days in a row

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Technically, it's not a KHL debut, or at least it shouldn't be counted as such.
Technically you're right as when a player is making KHL play-off debut it's also different from regular season KHL. However, these are still KHL teams playing and for many these are their first official KHL season games vs other KHL teams, even if some (or all) might not care whole 100%

1:1 in Donbass vs Dinamo Rīga series and that means we'll play the full amount (4) of games in this stage and if Donbass wins the next one and we win the fourth, we see how this ''best of 3 in 4 games'' works. This isn't play-off but hey, the more hockey, the better... But I just don't see much fan interest, at least not in Riga and Khabarovsk... Maybe it could work if the number of games was reduced, the model of Champions League soccer would be adopted... that would mean, for the ''extra qualification'' teams, 8 games. Now the winner if it is from qualification like Riga can possibly play 14 games in post season (12 for other teams) that does not mean much to fans and players themselves... Some play-off teams stopped at the number 4

Also nobody outside the cities that are in this will care about these games, as there's play-offs going on.

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 02-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Latgale_fan

Though I kinda understand the logic of this tournament also from the fan interest point of view. Usually when a team does not get into play-offs then there is probably also not much interest in what happens in these play-offs for most people. In this case at least people are interested about their teams' games in this cup and also paralelly pick up news from the play-off side and are continuing to follow all KHL hockey. So it makes sense. I was also sceptical about the "Opening Cup", now "Lokomotiv cup", i.e. the opening game of the new KHL season where winner and runner up meets up to start the season as they ended the old one, but now I quite like this thing. It's a good way to attract new viewers (both from the organizatonal and level of play point these games have not disappointed in the previous years...) and remember the play-offs of last year, to see renewed rivalries etc.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Vicente

For next year they should change this tournament a little. They should introduce best-of-five and even more important let the better seeded team have the home advantage. What a stupid idea to reward teams like Riga with home advantage for a crappy season lol.

Regarding new kids playing in this tournament:

The games of this "Cup of Hope" are official KHL matches. They are not some friendly games (although it might feel so for some people) but they are competitive matches, so yes being able to collect experience against regular KHL players is a nice first step.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:48 PM
HockeyInRussia
Rookie User

Avto beat Yugra 6-2!!!

HockeyInRussia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Latgale_fan

Dinamo Rīga goes 2-1 in the series vs Donbass, winning in OT 3:2 in Donetsk. 4th and decisive game tomorrow and then, if all goes well, Cup of Hope final in the West- Dinamo Minsk vs Dinamo Rīga.

As there are only 4 games in the series, the worst we can get tomorow is OT and shootout after the game, but I hope we can pull regular time win and take the series

For all intents and purposes this new cup has given some benefit to Dinamo Rīga, as we see guys like Bukarts and especially Pavlovs taking leading roles now, and Upītis with an assist too today. Don't know how motivated Donbass is but considering we've been playing with only three foreigners (Tellquist, Sczechura and Johnson) already from some time before regular season end, it's nice to see wins against these teams.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Dinamo Rīga goes 2-1 in the series vs Donbass, winning in OT 3:2 in Donetsk. 4th and decisive game tomorrow and then, if all goes well, Cup of Hope final in the West- Dinamo Minsk vs Dinamo Rīga.

As there are only 4 games in the series, the worst we can get tomorow is OT and shootout after the game, but I hope we can pull regular time win and take the series

For all intents and purposes this new cup has given some benefit to Dinamo Rīga, as we see guys like Bukarts and especially Pavlovs taking leading roles now, and Upītis with an assist too today. Don't know how motivated Donbass is but considering we've been playing with only three foreigners (Tellquist, Sczechura and Johnson) already from some time before regular season end, it's nice to see wins against these teams.
Did Giroux get hurt?

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:14 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Did Giroux get hurt?
He had been playing in Switzerland (and really well too) since KHL trade deadline. Not anymore though as Kloten missed the playoffs.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
He had been playing in Switzerland (and really well too) since KHL trade deadline. Not anymore though as Kloten missed the playoffs.
He is actually suspended and should Kloten keep losing, he will return.

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Vicente

So. We had the first decision in four games. Draw after 60 minutes, Yugra win overtime, following shootout won by Avto and Avto makes next round. Confusing but okay.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Spektanto

Riga defeated Donbass in shootout, so it will be the series of the two Dinamos

Spektanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:49 AM
BalticWarrior

Bukarts is on fire! Hes really earning his next years contract!

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektanto View Post
Riga defeated Donbass in shootout, so it will be the series of the two Dinamos
Riga-Minsk, should be fun. I hope we'll get this far and we did, should be great atmosphere. Minsk had almost 10 000 fans in the arena last game, our numbers were far from, seems that people don't have much love for Cup of Hope here, that but hopefully this round should bring more fans to arena...

Old
03-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Riga-Minsk, should be fun. I hope we'll get this far and we did, should be great atmosphere. Minsk had almost 10 000 fans in the arena last game, our numbers were far from, seems that people don't have much love for Cup of Hope here, that but hopefully this round should bring more fans to arena...
Some teams have actually good attendance numbers like Minsk, Donetsk, Avtomobilist. Not much behind their regular season numbers. Okay in Minsk yes but they have still so many fans in their arena.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
SoundAndFury

New longest match match in the KHL is in the making. Lobanov and Alexei Kuznetsov the unlikely heroes

Old
03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Purple hippo

So whats the rules for Conference Finals and Championship. An actual best of 5/7 or still the random Best of 4?

Old
03-06-2013, 12:10 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenskaRiga View Post
So whats the rules for Conference Finals and Championship. An actual best of 5/7 or still the random Best of 4?
4 games, club needs to win 3 of them. Golden goal rule in overtime. If serie is 2:2, SO is a decision factor.

example
Amur - Avto 1
Amur - Avto 1
Avto - Amur 1
Avto - Amur 1 OT, + SO

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
4 games, club needs to win 3 of them. Golden goal rule in overtime. If serie is 2:2, SO is a decision factor.

example
Amur - Avto 1
Amur - Avto 1
Avto - Amur 1
Avto - Amur 1 OT, + SO
Thanks

Old
03-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Latgale_fan

Riga destroys Minsk ans reigns supreme in the first game 7:2, Upītis (from MHL) with 2 goals, Meija 1+2 and Bukarts with a goal and an assist. Poor young Karnauhov in Minsk goal (1994 from MHL) as he was put in the net for the third period as Lalande was shaky and allowed 4 goals..... the stats should be terrible, not the best first game for his KHL team.

In the other game, one of the longest in KHL history, Automobilist defeated Amur 4:3 in 117th minute of the game

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 03-06-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
metmag

this tournament is exciting

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Riga destroys Minsk ans reigns supreme in the first game 7:2, Upītis (from MHL) with 2 goals, Meija 1+2 and Bukarts with a goal and an assist. Poor young Karnauhov in Minsk goal (1994 from MHL) as he was put in the net for the third period as Lalande was shaky and allowed 4 goals..... the stats should be terrible, not the best first game for his KHL team.

In the other game, one of the longest in KHL history, Automobilist defeated Amur 4:3 in 117th minute of the game
I'm still surprised at how bad Lalande is. He has played decent hockey since coming from NA but this season he's sooo terrible I lack words to describe it. Good for me, when there are no words there are numbers, his save percentage is .861 and dropped even deeper down after this game. I wonder what Dinamo are going to do with him because at KHL level he's worse than useless, he's harmful.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
I'm still surprised at how bad Lalande is. He has played decent hockey since coming from NA but this season he's sooo terrible I lack words to describe it. Good for me, when there are no words there are numbers, his save percentage is .861 and dropped even deeper down after this game. I wonder what Dinamo are going to do with him because at KHL level he's worse than useless, he's harmful.
All in all it seems that Riga was better prepared for this game. Don't know why but got an impression that Minsk maybe underestimated the team or what? I understand that they have a goal to win this cup and they went past Spartak with no problem, but seemed like they thought Riga will be an easy opponent...

Old
03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
All in all it seems that Riga was better prepared for this game. Don't know why but got an impression that Minsk maybe underestimated the team or what? I understand that they have a goal to win this cup and they went past Spartak with no problem, but seemed like they thought Riga will be an easy opponent...
Yeah it was pretty weird game from Minsk and as you've said Riga was just better prepared. And I don't know if it's underestimating or they just don't care much about this cup or are that confident about winning in Minsk but yeah it looks like they came to Riga to play a friendly game: Lalande in goal, all these young guys in the line-up, weak effort. After pretty long break they were not in perfect shape anyway and in the end it's 7-2 final.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Spektanto

Made a table of the Cup of Hope attendance. Average 3k men were expectable, but I was surprised by Minsk's 9k. When the semifinals end, I'll update it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Cup of Hope Attendance March 7.png‎ (42.5 KB, 13 views)

Spektanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:07 PM
SoundAndFury

What's wrong with Haugen? Lalande is killing Minsk.