HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel for Corey Perry?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 12:52 PM
  #176
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
That seems quite ridiculous IMO. Aquiring Kessel could help you in the playoffs for years to come. Perry seems like he is going to bolt. But whatever. I don't understand some fans. You'd rather have Perry to help you with one more cup run as suppose to flipping him for a package that could help you for years to come. IMO Kessel could thrive in a small market like Anahiem. He would no doubt do well with his anonimitity, and could play well with Getzlaf, but, you'd rather have neither I guess.
what seems quite ridiculous to me is that there are still fans out there that can't understand the goal of a GM and ownership in the league is not to accumulate assets and make sure you get something in return for all your assets, but to win the Cup.

It's ridiculous because such fans ignore the *overwhelming* data available to us from what teams do ALL THE TIME and figure that they know best. NO TEAM deals players like Perry even if he's going to bolt as a FA when they are in a good position to contend for the Cup. Again, I repeat as it seems to fall on deaf ears here - NO TEAM HAS DONE THIS, NO TEAM DOES THIS AND IT STANDS TO REASON THAT NO TEAM WILL DO THIS. And this is a constant reality that has spread over many years and multiple CBAs.

Maybe Leafs fans just don't understand this concept since it's been a long time since they've been in a position to contend. But it's just ridiculous that people who actually follow the league can't see what's in front of their face! It's no less ridiculous than suggesting that a team deal their superstar player locked up for multiple years because he may face an injury down the road or may regress as a player. Teams don't make such moves, and they don't deal star players off playoff rosters just because of the risk of losing them.

Maybe some people here follow a different league than the NHL, because there's plenty of evidence in the NHL of how teams handle their upcoming UFAs. If you're out of the playoffs, then there's all the chance in the world that you deal such assets, as it happens all the time. When you're in a playoff position, it never happens - and that's ignoring the fact that we're not just talking about any playoff team here, we're talking about the team with the 2nd best record in the entire league.

I don't know how many more times I have to mention this, but no one - NOT A SINGLE FAN that has proposed that the Ducks should trade Perry - has been able to provide any evidence that this is how any team has ever reacted to such a situation. Not ONE! Shouldn't that tell us something? I mean, even if ONE TEAM in such a position had dealt their star rental maybe we could see that teams could operate this way, but they don't!

In fact we've seen the opposite many times over. If the Ducks didn't have Perry and he was on a non-playoff team, chances are that they'd be interested in acquiring him for the type of return that people are suggesting they give up Perry for. That is how much playoff revenue and possible contention for the Cup is worth to teams.

I just find this entire way of thinking so ridiculous. Even though there is overwhelming evidence how teams handle such situations with such players, it seems that fans just refuse to believe in reality and try and dream about possible ways that it could benefit their team despite such situations never happening.

You'd think that people here would be diehard fans that would follow the league and understand how teams operate, but maybe people just have blinders on and just hope that their hockey world would be different to benefit their team most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Any GM would love to deal a couple months of their star player for a year + a couple months of another star player that will more than likely re-sign with your team.
This is a perfect example of the ridculous assumptions that you and other Leafs fans have made.

If "any GM would love to deal a couple months of their star player..." then why has it NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE when that player is on a contending team?

You'd think if it's so obvious that ANY GM would love to do this, why does this not happen?

From the NHL that I've followed it seems more realistic to suggest that ANY GM would love to keep their star player even if it's only for a couple months, if that player can help them contend for the Cup. We can also say, given the evidence available to us, that ANY GM would love to give up a bunch of future assets to acquire a star player that is only a couple months from FA, and with no guarantee to sign longer, if that player can help them contend for the Cup.

All that, we have PLENTY of evidence for, as it happens all the time (teams keeping their star rentals and also teams giving up quality futures for star rentals). What we never see happening is what your assuming - that any GM would love to deal their star player they only have for a couple months, even if that player can help them contend. I don't know how much clearer I can make this - IT NEVER HAPPENS!! Yet you assume that GMs would somehow "love" to operate this way???


Last edited by NFITO: 03-03-2013 at 12:59 PM.
NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:59 PM
  #177
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
New Jersey Made the stanley Cup Finals last year but Zach Parise still left the team. He wen't to his hometown state where he got paid big bucks.

Who knows if Perry will leave for sure, if Anahiem wants to risk it then they can go ahead. Parise got a $98 million dollar deal over 13 seasons, you have to imagine someone would be willing to pay Perry something like that. If that someone is Anahiem then he may stay. You have to look at Getzlaf at the same time as well.

This can add up to a trade, and because of the circumstances you may not be getting full value because of the uncertainty.
The new CBA eliminated those types of deals.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:22 PM
  #178
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
what seems quite ridiculous to me is that there are still fans out there that can't understand the goal of a GM and ownership in the league is not to accumulate assets and make sure you get something in return for all your assets, but to win the Cup.

It's ridiculous because such fans ignore the *overwhelming* data available to us from what teams do ALL THE TIME and figure that they know best. NO TEAM deals players like Perry even if he's going to bolt as a FA when they are in a good position to contend for the Cup. Again, I repeat as it seems to fall on deaf ears here - NO TEAM HAS DONE THIS, NO TEAM DOES THIS AND IT STANDS TO REASON THAT NO TEAM WILL DO THIS. And this is a constant reality that has spread over many years and multiple CBAs.

Maybe Leafs fans just don't understand this concept since it's been a long time since they've been in a position to contend. But it's just ridiculous that people who actually follow the league can't see what's in front of their face! It's no less ridiculous than suggesting that a team deal their superstar player locked up for multiple years because he may face an injury down the road or may regress as a player. Teams don't make such moves, and they don't deal star players off playoff rosters just because of the risk of losing them.

Maybe some people here follow a different league than the NHL, because there's plenty of evidence in the NHL of how teams handle their upcoming UFAs. If you're out of the playoffs, then there's all the chance in the world that you deal such assets, as it happens all the time. When you're in a playoff position, it never happens - and that's ignoring the fact that we're not just talking about any playoff team here, we're talking about the team with the 2nd best record in the entire league.

I don't know how many more times I have to mention this, but no one - NOT A SINGLE FAN that has proposed that the Ducks should trade Perry - has been able to provide any evidence that this is how any team has ever reacted to such a situation. Not ONE! Shouldn't that tell us something? I mean, even if ONE TEAM in such a position had dealt their star rental maybe we could see that teams could operate this way, but they don't!

In fact we've seen the opposite many times over. If the Ducks didn't have Perry and he was on a non-playoff team, chances are that they'd be interested in acquiring him for the type of return that people are suggesting they give up Perry for. That is how much playoff revenue and possible contention for the Cup is worth to teams.

I just find this entire way of thinking so ridiculous. Even though there is overwhelming evidence how teams handle such situations with such players, it seems that fans just refuse to believe in reality and try and dream about possible ways that it could benefit their team despite such situations never happening.

You'd think that people here would be diehard fans that would follow the league and understand how teams operate, but maybe people just have blinders on and just hope that their hockey world would be different to benefit their team most?



This is a perfect example of the ridculous assumptions that you and other Leafs fans have made.

If "any GM would love to deal a couple months of their star player..." then why has it NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE when that player is on a contending team?

You'd think if it's so obvious that ANY GM would love to do this, why does this not happen?

From the NHL that I've followed it seems more realistic to suggest that ANY GM would love to keep their star player even if it's only for a couple months, if that player can help them contend for the Cup. We can also say, given the evidence available to us, that ANY GM would love to give up a bunch of future assets to acquire a star player that is only a couple months from FA, and with no guarantee to sign longer, if that player can help them contend for the Cup.

All that, we have PLENTY of evidence for, as it happens all the time (teams keeping their star rentals and also teams giving up quality futures for star rentals). What we never see happening is what your assuming - that any GM would love to deal their star player they only have for a couple months, even if that player can help them contend. I don't know how much clearer I can make this - IT NEVER HAPPENS!! Yet you assume that GMs would somehow "love" to operate this way???
All I have to say is...moron...glad your not our GM or any for that matter.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:31 PM
  #179
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
All I have to say is...moron...glad your not our GM or any for that matter.
why don't you actually respond with a logical argument using actual support from what happens in reality to backup your arguments, instead of calling me a moron for making my argument based on what actually happens in reality in the NHL.

Your response is just like the others here.... basically, "I know what I'm saying has no basis in reality, and no team or GM ever operates this way, but they're all idiots for what they do, and surely I know how the league works and all the factors involved to say that what every team and GM does is just wrong"

That's essentially what you're saying. You've got a plehtora of evidence available of how GMs and teams operate, but you choose to ignore all that and make an argument based on what GMs would love to do, but never actually do.

Yes, I'm the moron for using reality and how teams actually operate to base my opinions... what do you call people that ignore reality and just make assumptions that aren't based on what actually happens... and then call people morons who base their opinions on what actually happens?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
  #180
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
You're not worth my time to be honest. You're so far gone with your reasoning, I don't have enough time to rebuttle you non-sensical arguements.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:56 PM
  #181
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlu View Post
God no.... What are you smoking? Basically 2 firsts and Kessel for Perry??? This isn't Crosby, you wouldn't even get that for Getzlaf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Dougie Hamilton, Tyler Seguin, Matt Finn and a 1st for Perry? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Are you out of your mind?

If Perry is traded that means he had no intention to sign with Anaheim...right now those are just rumors but as we get closer to the deadline, Perry has to be traded or Anaheim has to gamble that they can win the Cup, keep him and try their luck @ UFA.

Kessel + 1st + Matt Finn?

No way in hell.

Kessel for Perry (signed) is literally the best deal the Ducks can get if they want an impact player in return.
and there below ladies and germs is why I said no brainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRask View Post
Kessel for Perry straight up is good value if Anaheim is unable to sign Perry

But you have to think that if the Ducks are able to coordinate a sign and trade for Perry, that teams would be lining up to offer the moon for his services.

Im not sure Kessel for a signed Perry straight up gets done

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:06 PM
  #182
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
You're not worth my time to be honest. You're so far gone with your reasoning, I don't have enough time to rebuttle you non-sensical arguements.

We'll have to agree to disagree.


yes, my arguments are non-sensical, while I've provide backup to all my arguments showing how no teams EVER operate like you're suggesting, but your arguments are so sound in reality.

Of course it's not worth your time when it's so clear that you can't possibly back up your statements with reality. It's clear as day how teams operate and we've seen it time and time again, yet that's all "non-sensical" and your arguments on what GMs would love to do, but never actually do, how teams should operate, but never actually operate that way, just makes so much sense. Certainly that needs no backup from reality, because you obviously know all the factors involved and all other GMs and teams operate incorrectly! You must be the god of hockey since you apparently know better than everyone who has ever been in the business!

Great job btw to ignore actual reasoning that is backed up by reality, and calling me a moron for presenting an argument that's backed up, and then say we just have to agree to disagree because it's apparently my arguments that are non-sensical, and you couldn't be bothered to support your arguments which no GM or team has ever done.


NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:14 PM
  #183
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post


yes, my arguments are non-sensical, while I've provide backup to all my arguments showing how no teams EVER operate like you're suggesting, but your arguments are so sound in reality.

Of course it's not worth your time when it's so clear that you can't possibly back up your statements with reality. It's clear as day how teams operate and we've seen it time and time again, yet that's all "non-sensical" and your arguments on what GMs would love to do, but never actually do, how teams should operate, but never actually operate that way, just makes so much sense. Certainly that needs no backup from reality, because you obviously know all the factors involved and all other GMs and teams operate incorrectly! You must be the god of hockey since you apparently know better than everyone who has ever been in the business!

Great job btw to ignore actual reasoning that is backed up by reality, and calling me a moron for presenting an argument that's backed up, and then say we just have to agree to disagree because it's apparently my arguments that are non-sensical, and you couldn't be bothered to support your arguments which no GM or team has ever done.

Good. I'm glad we agree.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
  #184
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Good. I'm glad we agree.
yup, we agree, just like the 2 or 3 other Leafs fans I've presented the same argument to, who have all stopped responding the minute I asked them to backup their statements with reality, you've done the same. I understand though, when you realize you don't have any logic to backup your statements, it's easier insulting the other poster and telling them they're non-sensical even though you have no argument at all.

I've seen this many times here - it's much easier to say stuff that makes no sense and when someone asks you to backup those statements and you can't, it's easier to just say "agree to disagree" because you realize that you can't possibly provide a reasoned argument to support your argument that never actually happen in reality.

Still find it funny you can call someone a moron for presenting an argument backed up by facts that happen in reality, and then walk away from the discussion because you realize you can't back up your claims which never actually happen in reality.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
  #185
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
yup, we agree, just like the 2 or 3 other Leafs fans I've presented the same argument to, who have all stopped responding the minute I asked them to backup their statements with reality, you've done the same. I understand though, when you realize you don't have any logic to backup your statements, it's easier insulting the other poster and telling them they're non-sensical even though you have no argument at all.

I've seen this many times here - it's much easier to say stuff that makes no sense and when someone asks you to backup those statements and you can't, it's easier to just say "agree to disagree" because you realize that you can't possibly provide a reasoned argument to support your argument that never actually happen in reality.

Still find it funny you can call someone a moron for presenting an argument backed up by facts that happen in reality, and then walk away from the discussion because you realize you can't back up your claims which never actually happen in reality.
Oye...we just don't think the same way my friend. You think the Ducks would prefer to keep Perry, take their chance in the playoffs, and than lose him for nothing in the offseason (this former Hart trophy winner you speak of).

My thought process is to help the Ducks now and in the future. With Kessel (and the other assets I mentioned) they could continue their Cup run this year and next (as Kessel still has a year left). After next year they can attempt to re-sign Kessel, who will probably demand a lesser salary than Perry. And I'm sure I mentioned that Kessel is 3 years younger.

Think what you want, but I think you're the one who's in the wrong. But, really I don't care. No sense arguing with someone who could probably be 15yrs old for all I know. Just no reasoning with some people, and that's simply because they don't see the big picture.

Yes the Stanley Cup is part of the big picture, but it's not "THE BIG PICTURE". Hockey is a business. Most teams want to ice a competive team year in and year out and gain all the extra playoff revenues. Unfortunately for myself (and other Toronto fans), MLSE is retardedly rich and don't have have those playoff revenues. Our fans show up regardless of what we ice. Our fans buy merchandise like it's air. Not to mention, the majority of our season ticket holders are suits. It's sad really (for us true Leaf fans).

Anywho, I've spent too much time on explaining myself. Thank you for the conversation, but I'm not my father and I don't need to convince (forcefully bestow) you of anything. Keep your opinion, and I'll keep mine.

Good day to you.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:44 PM
  #186
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
That seems quite ridiculous IMO. Aquiring Kessel could help you in the playoffs for years to come. Perry seems like he is going to bolt. But whatever. I don't understand some fans. You'd rather have Perry to help you with one more cup run as suppose to flipping him for a package that could help you for years to come. IMO Kessel could thrive in a small market like Anahiem. He would no doubt do well with his anonimitity, and could play well with Getzlaf, but, you'd rather have neither I guess.
-Years to come? he's signed ONE more year, and i'd much rather have Perry in the playoffs than Kessel. Kessel is a clear downgrade, and we'll be in the exact same situation next year

-Once again you guys provide zero proof Perry is going to leave, i thought we were supposed to source things here?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:54 PM
  #187
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
-Years to come? he's signed ONE more year, and i'd much rather have Perry in the playoffs than Kessel. Kessel is a clear downgrade, and we'll be in the exact same situation next year

-Once again you guys provide zero proof Perry is going to leave, i thought we were supposed to source things here?
Two years is plural. This playoffs and next, and potentially longer if Anahiem decided to extend him.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  #188
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Two years is plural. This playoffs and next, and potentially longer if Anahiem decided to extend him.
You're assuming he'd want to be here long term

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM
  #189
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
You're assuming he'd want to be here long term
Yes, I'm assuming that an American would love to play for a competetive club that is based out of California...

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:05 PM
  #190
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
w

It's ridiculous because such fans ignore the *overwhelming* data available to us from what teams do ALL THE TIME and figure that they know best. NO TEAM deals players like Perry even if he's going to bolt as a FA when they are in a good position to contend for the Cup. Again, I repeat as it seems to fall on deaf ears here - NO TEAM HAS DONE THIS, NO TEAM DOES THIS AND IT STANDS TO REASON THAT NO TEAM WILL DO THIS. And this is a constant reality that has spread over many years and multiple CBAs.
We saw last year what almost happened with Nashville.

GMs dont want a star player walking with nothing in return.

In MLB the team would actually get compensatory picks if they lose a UFA so they werent going to get hurt trading for upcomming free agents. Last year they changed the rules so now if its a pure rental you arent getting compensatory picks if you dont have them at for one full season.

Because Anaheim is in the race this is why the idea of trading Perry for #1 picks and rebuilding prospects cant be done.

Which is why I have suggested they trade Perry for an established replacement RW + added needed depth at another position.

some of the suggestions would be:

Perry+ for Gaborik +

Perry + for Kessel +

Perry dealt to another team for picks/prospects that then get sent to Buffalo for Pominville

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:10 PM
  #191
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
You're not worth my time to be honest. You're so far gone with your reasoning, I don't have enough time to rebuttle you non-sensical arguements.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
His reasoning is 100% accurate, Stanley Cup contenders DO NOT trade star players even if they are pending UFA's. In fact, they actually acquire star pending UFA's at the deadline.

Please stop being one of "those" Leaf fans that thinks other GM's are going to trade valuable players for 2 or 3 guys that the Leafs don't need.

Here's a rule of thumb, if the Leafs don't need a player, chances are neither do a lot of other teams.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:31 PM
  #192
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,868
vCash: 500
I'm going to try and break this down, so maybe it'd be easier to understand where I'm coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Oye...we just don't think the same way my friend. You think the Ducks would prefer to keep Perry, take their chance in the playoffs, and than lose him for nothing in the offseason (this former Hart trophy winner you speak of)..
1) No, this is where you're wrong. This is NOT MY THOUGHT PROCESS!!! I'm saying - and backing up by looking at what EVERY GM and TEAM does, that this is the thought process of all teams out there. I don't think the Ducks would prefer to keep Perry and take their chances in the playoffs because it's some random thought based on what I think it right. I think they will keep Perry and take their chances in the playoffs because this is what EVERY TEAM ALWAYS WITHOUT EXCEPTION ALWAYS DOES!! Why is this so hard to understand? Why is it continally ignored that this is how teams operate? Take out our personal feelings and thoughts on this. Look at what ALL TEAMS ALWAYS DO. Can you give ne ONE SINGLE EXAMPLE of ANY playoff team EVER that has dealt their star impending UFA to get something in return instead of keeping that player and taking their chances in the playoffs? Does it EVER happen?

You're bringing in what you think that teams should do, but ignoring what teams ALWAYS do! How is that so hard to understand??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
My thought process is to help the Ducks now and in the future. With Kessel (and the other assets I mentioned) they could continue their Cup run this year and next (as Kessel still has a year left). After next year they can attempt to re-sign Kessel, who will probably demand a lesser salary than Perry. And I'm sure I mentioned that Kessel is 3 years younger.
Yes I know this is your thought process. And I know this process makes sense for teams like the Leafs - at least how they've been for almost a decade - which is no shot at the Cup and not going to make the playoffs. So of course it makes sense for such teams to make moves like this.

But I ask you again, (and again, and again) what teams *in reality* that are in a playoff position EVER make such moves? Do playoff teams EVER (yes, EVER!!!) have this type of thought process? You keep ignoring this simple fact here. You keep trying to assume how teams should operate, but ignore how they really do operate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post

Think what you want, but I think you're the one who's in the wrong. But, really I don't care. No sense arguing with someone who could probably be 15yrs old for all I know. Just no reasoning with some people, and that's simply because they don't see the big picture. .
If I'm 15 yrs old, then I've been posting here on HF boards since I was 3. You'd think someone who's been here for a while would understand that, no? My join date is clearly shown here. For the record I'm 40, have be following the NHL extensively since I the 70's, have 2 degress and have been in business for the better part of my life, which has allowed me to retire from my "regular" job and bought my own business. I have a lot of experience in the business world, and have been following this game for longer than most posters here have been alive.

I'd be more inclined to believe you were 15, given how you won't respond to any of the requests I've asked to provide backup for your thinking - again, please provide me with ONE example of when a top contender has dealt their soon to be star player just because they were hitting UFA status? It's kids who usually call others morons, refuse to backup their statements and then just say "agree to disagree" when they have no response at all. That's what you have done here. I've provided ample support for my line of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post

Yes the Stanley Cup is part of the big picture, but it's not "THE BIG PICTURE". Hockey is a business. Most teams want to ice a competive team year in and year out and gain all the extra playoff revenues. Unfortunately for myself (and other Toronto fans), MLSE is retardedly rich and don't have have those playoff revenues. Our fans show up regardless of what we ice. Our fans buy merchandise like it's air. Not to mention, the majority of our season ticket holders are suits. It's sad really (for us true Leaf fans).

Anywho, I've spent too much time on explaining myself. Thank you for the conversation, but I'm not my father and I don't need to convince (forcefully bestow) you of anything. Keep your opinion, and I'll keep mine.

Good day to you.
No, the Cup is THE BIG PICTURE. You may disagree, but GMs and teams around the league don't - again, as we've seen EVERY TIME such decisions come up. So as a fan here, who am I going to rely on for how teams should and do operate - a random poster who makes claims he can't back up, or the ENTIRE history of this game and what we see GMs and teams do ALL THE TIME.

Yes, you can have your opinions and believe what you want. Just realize that what you believe is not supported by what teams actually do - as we've seen over and over again throughout league history. But yes believe what you want, even if it's so clearly wrong, and you can't find any evidence to back it up.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:33 PM
  #193
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
We saw last year what almost happened with Nashville.

GMs dont want a star player walking with nothing in return.
In MLB the team would actually get compensatory picks if they lose a UFA so they werent going to get hurt trading for upcomming free agents. Last year they changed the rules so now if its a pure rental you arent getting compensatory picks if you dont have them at for one full season.

Because Anaheim is in the race this is why the idea of trading Perry for #1 picks and rebuilding prospects cant be done.

Which is why I have suggested they trade Perry for an established replacement RW + added needed depth at another position.

some of the suggestions would be:

Perry+ for Gaborik +

Perry + for Kessel +

Perry dealt to another team for picks/prospects that then get sent to Buffalo for Pominville
yes we saw this last year... and we see it almost every year. Not once has a GM operated differently. Shouldn't that tell you something? If GMs cared so much about a star player walking for nothing, instead of keeping them for a playoff run, wouldn't we see more trades of such players from playoff teams? Wouldn't we see ONE trade for such a player from such teams.

I'm truly confused how something so evident that we see it happen all the time, is so lost of people here.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:49 PM
  #194
Mowerman
Registered User
 
Mowerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Perry is a rental. If he wanted to play in Toronto he would come here when he hits UFA. If he wouldn't come to Toronto via UFA, he wouldn't stay in Toronto if the Leafs traded for him. If he's being moved by Anaheim than he's going to hit UFA. It's a significant and needless risk for Toronto to move their best player given the circumstances.

If Toronto wants Perry, they'll make their move on July 1st. They can afford to give the money and term that players will want, they won't be bound by internal restrictions now that the albatross circumventing deals have been outlawed and we have a new CBA, Perry is from and lives in Ontario in the off-season, and the team is showing that it has the potential to be competitive and has a bright future in the upcoming years. All of the talk about Toronto not being a free agent destination based on recent history is ridiculous.

It basically makes no sense from Toronto's perspective to give a significant package for a rental Perry.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:57 PM
  #195
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
The goal is to add Perry to the top 6 in Toronto in addition to Kessel, not swap them for each other.

If Toronto wants to get him before anyone since he has a good shot of ending up there if he hits free agency, I think it might cost...

To Anaheim: Mike Komisarek + 1st (Conditional, if he re-signs its 1st, if he doesn't, it's a 3rd) + Colborne.
To Toronto: Corey Perry
This isn't a great deal for them lol.

But I agree with you on the goal being to add Perry to Kessel, not swap them for each other.

Plus I can't see any reason Anaheim does it for Phil. As much as the value in a vacuum might be somewhat close, Anaheim is just postponing the issue they are facing with Perry right now a year. Do they want to risk going after a player that might not stay after moving to a new team?

He seems pretty happy right now in Toronto. As much as Burke was crucial in bringing him to Toronto, does Anaheim want to risk him being unhappy going somewhere he didn't choose and just leaving after his contract is up? I doubt it.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:30 PM
  #196
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
What about this BLOCKBUSTER...

To Anahiem:
Bozak
Kessel
Biggs
Gunnarsson
Rynnas

To Toronto:
Perry
Cogliano
Holland
Hiller
Ffs, we're not blowing up our roster even if we chose to move Perry. Cogliano has had a bigger hand in our success this year than Perry has. Perry has only been a factor in our last five or six games. We are not shipping out our best center/LW prospect. We are not breaking up our goaltending tandem this year. We don't need a defenseman. Lastly, we don't need your prospects.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  #197
Mantooth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Anaheim better make up its mind soon. Losing perry for nothing is not an option so stop overvaluing him and get something back in return. Not sure a lot of teams have top line players ready to give up in addition to the multiple picks people seem to think he's worth. Right now I see a guy with 18 points.

Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
  #198
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantooth View Post
Anaheim better make up its mind soon. Losing perry for nothing is not an option so stop overvaluing him and get something back in return. Not sure a lot of teams have top line players ready to give up in addition to the multiple picks people seem to think he's worth. Right now I see a guy with 18 points.
why is this not an option?

can you give me an example of any team EVER that has dealt their star upcoming UFA player when they are in contention for the Cup?

Yes, I know I keep asking this question over and over and over again. Still not one person who says it's not an option to lose him for nothing, or that he has to be dealt, or that teams won't lose such assets for nothing, just never have a response. I get told instead that I don't know what I'm talking about, or it's "way over my head" ... so I ask again, can anyone backup their argument with a single example of when a Cup contending team moved their rental instead of keeping him for the playoffs? Any examples? Ever?

It's an option to keep such players for a playoff run and let them walk for nothing. We've seen this COUNTLESS times. Have we ever seen a team that traded their star upcoming UFA in a season when they are in a playoff spot? And Anaheim isn't just in a playoff spot - they are the 2nd best team in the league and are legitimate contenders.

If it's not an option, then why do we see this all the time, but NEVER see such teams deal such assets?

Reality check people!! it's the NHL not HFHL. The goal isn't to get assets back and develop prospects, it's to win the Cup!

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
  #199
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Two years is plural. This playoffs and next, and potentially longer if Anahiem decided to extend him.
Oh, it's that easy? In that case, how about Anaheim decides to extend Perry and then we can wrap up this entire Leaf fan pipe dream once and for all.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:03 PM
  #200
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Yes, I'm assuming that an American would love to play for a competetive club that is based out of California...
Oh yeah, just like all those Canadian Ontario boys that were falling all over themselves to become Maple Leafs like Joe Thornton and Rick Nash and ... oh yeah, nobody.

You make a totally uninformed assumption that Perry will leave then making another totally uninformed assumption that Phil Kessel will then be thrilled to re-sign in Anaheim.

Do you really not see what you are doing here?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.