HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13 ‎- Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 09:27 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I wonder what the deal is with AA, hardly a healthy scratch. The Griffins web site write these essays every week, would it kill them to mention injuries once in a while?
Apparently, because I don't remember the last time they did mention them.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:50 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Apparently, because I don't remember the last time they did mention them.
Yeah, like does anyoen know why Nicastro was out hurt for like 3 weeks before eh returned like 2 games ago?

Old
03-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
Jeezus 9 points in the last 3 games, obviously Dan freaking Cleary deserves to be playing along side Dats instead of this guy .
So thrilled with the way Nyquist is tearing up the A. It's a true silver lining.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
So thrilled with the way Nyquist is tearing up the A. It's a true silver lining.
If he's down there he might aswell win the scoring race and MVP honors.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:28 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Nyquist picked up another goal last night, brings him to 56 points in 53 games. He's the only player (outside of Eberle & Schultz) who is above a point per game, last year there were 5+ players that were over a point per game.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:39 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Nyquist picked up another goal last night, brings him to 56 points in 53 games. He's the only player (outside of Eberle & Schultz) who is above a point per game, last year there were 5+ players that were over a point per game.
Not quite but he is the only one with over 50 games.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...ame=&order=PPG

Old
03-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
1 goal and game-high 6 shots. He really puts everthing on the table.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
1 goal and game-high 6 shots. He really puts everthing on the table.
Good thing there's great players playing in our top 6 right now keeping him from getting called up

oh wait.....

Old
03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
joe89

Griffins looking good tonight. Shot totals are deceiving after two periods.

5-1 final.

Last edited by joe89: 03-03-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Grand Rapids Griffins 5 at Milwaukee Admirals 1 - Status: Final
Sunday, March 3, 2013 - BMO Harris Bradley Center

Grand Rapids 2 1 2 - 5
Milwaukee 0 0 1 - 1

1st Period-1, Grand Rapids, Nestrasil 2 (Aubry), 3:10. 2, Grand Rapids, Hoggan 10 (Glendening, Paetsch), 13:45. Penalties-No Penalties

2nd Period-3, Grand Rapids, Jurco 8 (Lampl, Mursak), 8:32. Penalties-Bitetto Mil (holding), 14:16; Paetsch Gr (interference), 15:59.

3rd Period-4, Milwaukee, Bartley 7 (Mueller, Puustinen), 5:17 (PP). 5, Grand Rapids, Hoggan 11 (Nyquist, Pare), 17:34 (PP). 6, Grand Rapids, Mursak 2 (Jurco), 19:00 (EN). Penalties-Paetsch Gr (hooking), 3:27; Mursak Gr (hooking), 5:41; Grant Gr (high-sticking), 8:34; Jarvinen Mil (slashing), 14:46; Ferraro Gr (roughing), 15:40; Mueller Mil (slashing), 15:40; Henderson Mil (tripping), 16:35.

Shots on Goal-Grand Rapids 7-11-4-22. Milwaukee 5-18-12-35.
Power Play Opportunities-Grand Rapids 1 / 3; Milwaukee 1 / 4.
Goalies-Grand Rapids, McCollum 13-9-1 (35 shots-34 saves). Milwaukee, Smith 16-19-3 (21 shots-17 saves).
A-7,346
Referees-Trent Knorr (44), Graham Skilliter (48).
Linesmen-Alex Stagnone (7), Al Stensland (98).

Nestrasil's goal was nice.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Lots of talented kids on the GR roster, and you know that Tatar and Andersson are going back soon.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:51 PM
WesNichols14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Lots of talented kids on the GR roster, and you know that Tatar and Andersson are going back soon.
Andersson yes, Tatar a strong maybe. I think his play might keep him in the NHL. its a long shot but Babcock has said pretty good things about him and he's been as consistent as any other player we have. I mean come on he is our 3rd line. at the moment I would say we could potentially see us trade a player for late picks or send them through waivers rather than send him down. but what do I know, I hope they keep him up, he is one of the things I look forward to every game day

Old
03-03-2013, 09:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
Andersson yes, Tatar a strong maybe. I think his play might keep him in the NHL. its a long shot but Babcock has said pretty good things about him and he's been as consistent as any other player we have. I mean come on he is our 3rd line. at the moment I would say we could potentially see us trade a player for late picks or send them through waivers rather than send him down. but what do I know, I hope they keep him up, he is one of the things I look forward to every game day
I don't know which is our third and which is our fourth, to be honest.

I said in another thread, he's like a mini-Hossa. He's a puckhound and always on the go.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:23 PM
WesNichols14

Quote:
I don't know which is our third and which is our fourth, to be honest.

I said in another thread, he's like a mini-Hossa. He's a puckhound and always on the go.
really thinking about it, I can completely see that comparison. after 4 years of playing in the AHL and having to be that way to make plays it really helped him become the player he is. that being said, he we is still only 22 and went there when he was 18 not when he was 20+, I wish Nyquist would have went that rout rather than college because I think he would have been here around the same age. (he should be up but I do see him having an MVP season in the A as something that will help him the long run.)

Old
03-03-2013, 10:29 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
really thinking about it, I can completely see that comparison. after 4 years of playing in the AHL and having to be that way to make plays it really helped him become the player he is. that being said, he we is still only 22 and went there when he was 18 not when he was 20+, I wish Nyquist would have went that rout rather than college because I think he would have been here around the same age. (he should be up but I do see him having an MVP season in the A as something that will help him the long run.)
I think Nyquist is going to have issues with Babcock. it's one thing to be a soft, small center who dishes the puck.
But I'm not sure how that will fly on the Wing.

I think Gus should have left after his huge sophomore year, gone pro and gotten serious about strength

The way I see it, the Red Wings are 1 year too long on the development of virtually all of their prospects.

Regarding Tatar, he plays exactly the same as he did when I loved him in the WJCs. he just goes and gets the puck or gets open to get the puck, and then he shoots. He's always had that mentality. But he;s stronger now, for sure. And his skating has improved

Old
03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
I think Nyquist is going to have issues with Babcock. it's one thing to be a soft, small center who dishes the puck.
But I'm not sure how that will fly on the Wing.

I think Gus should have left after his huge sophomore year, gone pro and gotten serious about strength

The way I see it, the Red Wings are 1 year too long on the development of virtually all of their prospects.

Regarding Tatar, he plays exactly the same as he did when I loved him in the WJCs. he just goes and gets the puck or gets open to get the puck, and then he shoots. He's always had that mentality. But he;s stronger now, for sure. And his skating has improved
Although I'm against the way they develop their prospects, I actually think the Wings handled Tatar perfectly. Unless he gets sent back down.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:01 PM
WesNichols14

When I watch Tatar, I see the player I had hoped Hudler could be. I think with the right line mate, and another year or two to get more accustomed to this level of competition I can see him hitting 30 goals.
right now if he was on Datsyuk's wing for a whole season I can see 15-20, but I could also see him getting 10-15 on a 3rd line with Helm.

the sad part is I think he has more value right now being the big cheese on his line rather than a complimentary piece on Datsyuk's. We know that his points aren't just a result of playing with Pavel. he has 7 points in 12 games which for a rookie is pretty good. it is better than Nyquist had last year, and we know it is a result of his skill.

If he does get sent back to grand rapids it wouldn't be the end of the world, as much as it would piss me and well everyone else off. What it would do though, is make Grand Rapids that much better, he had played for a quarter of the season so far in his call up. So if he gets sent back down he will know its not because the team is screwing with him, which Nyquist could have felt this year after finishing the year with Detroit last year, only to get called up then sent back down after not playing well. Tatar would go back to Grand Rapids knowing he can play in the NHL and with renewed fuel to get back.

I know I should think Wings first, Grand Rapids second, but this year I watched nearly every Grand Rapids game until the lockout ended. and want them to succeed. there is something to say about coming from a winning team. that confidence coming into training camp from every player after a good playoff run or championship, which they could do this year. could win you a spot on the big team. for Gus, and Tatar. players who we have seen can compete at that level it only proves that they are beyond all the competition in the A and should be in the NHL.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
griffs

Quote:
I wonder what the deal is with AA, hardly a healthy scratch. The Griffins web site write these essays every week, would it kill them to mention injuries once in a while?

He is out with a concussion. He took a hit to the head in one of the home games last weekend.

Sat 2/23 in 1st period AA took a hit at the offensive blue line which started a scrum that ended up with matching roughing minors.

Last edited by griffs: 03-04-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added information
Old
03-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
When I watch Tatar, I see the player I had hoped Hudler could be. I think with the right line mate, and another year or two to get more accustomed to this level of competition I can see him hitting 30 goals.
right now if he was on Datsyuk's wing for a whole season I can see 15-20, but I could also see him getting 10-15 on a 3rd line with Helm.

the sad part is I think he has more value right now being the big cheese on his line rather than a complimentary piece on Datsyuk's. We know that his points aren't just a result of playing with Pavel. he has 7 points in 12 games which for a rookie is pretty good. it is better than Nyquist had last year, and we know it is a result of his skill.

If he does get sent back to grand rapids it wouldn't be the end of the world, as much as it would piss me and well everyone else off. What it would do though, is make Grand Rapids that much better, he had played for a quarter of the season so far in his call up. So if he gets sent back down he will know its not because the team is screwing with him, which Nyquist could have felt this year after finishing the year with Detroit last year, only to get called up then sent back down after not playing well. Tatar would go back to Grand Rapids knowing he can play in the NHL and with renewed fuel to get back.

I know I should think Wings first, Grand Rapids second, but this year I watched nearly every Grand Rapids game until the lockout ended. and want them to succeed. there is something to say about coming from a winning team. that confidence coming into training camp from every player after a good playoff run or championship, which they could do this year. could win you a spot on the big team. for Gus, and Tatar. players who we have seen can compete at that level it only proves that they are beyond all the competition in the A and should be in the NHL.
I really think you make a strong case here. A lot of people are crying about this season but I'm actually pretty excited to see our young prospects get a shot in Detroit. Seriously:
  • Brian Lashoff has proven he's an NHL'er
  • Tomas Tatar has proven he's an NHL'er
  • Joakim Andersson has proven he's an NHL'er

In addition:
  • Petr Mrazek has proven he can dominate the AHL
  • Gus Nyquist has proven he can dominate the AHL

That's 5 guys who started the season in Grand Rapids and three of them have decent shots at sticking in Detroit. Two are completely dominating the level right below the NHL. Nyquist will be here next year and Mrazek should be an NHL'er inside of 2-3 years tops.

I'm all about the DRW and I want to see the team do as well as possible. Seeing these young guys come up and contribute is a lot of fun for some of us. While I want to see them fulfill their dreams of being full time NHL'ers I can see Kenny loading GR up for the playoff run. Given how well the Griffs are doing if you add some of these guys back to that lineup the team could completely dominate and win a Calder Cup. On the other hand Babcock said Lashoff benefits from the structure of the NHL game so that one could be a case where he's more valuable in Detroit.

So I guess I can't go so far as to say I wish any of these guys get sent down. They are in their early 20s, they are outperforming guys in their mid 30s, and need to begin their NHL careers. It would be a different story if they were still in their late teens and weren't physically prepared for the NHL. All of these guys can handle the physical part of the game just fine. If they do get sent down and if the Griffins won the Calder it would be a pretty clear sign our prospect pool kicks as much ass as we suspect it does. My only concern would be we took a bunch of guys in their early 20s who were developing their NHL game to win a championship at a lower level. I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with that.

Ken Holland is going to have to make some tough decisions if we ever get our full roster off the IR.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:29 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffs View Post
He is out with a concussion. He took a hit to the head in one of the home games last weekend.

Sat 2/23 in 1st period AA took a hit at the offensive blue line which started a scrum that ended up with matching roughing minors.
Thanks for the info. That's a blow.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Mursak 2 games. 2 goals. 2 assists. 2 minor penalties

Old
03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
joe89

Thought these tweets were interesting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Pronman
Per the AHL, there will be no Clear Day restrictions this year. Any eligible player may play in the AHL Playoffs.

Although per NHL rules, after the trade dealine on Apr 3, only AHL players called up after that date may be returned to the AHL.
Will be interesting to see what players Detroit "activate" if they remain on the big club's roster by then.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:07 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Thought these tweets were interesting:

Will be interesting to see what players Detroit "activate" if they remain on the big club's roster by then.
They should have a good feel of where they are going at that point, they are probably still a playoff team we will find that out in the next couple of weeks, but if they aren't Grand Rapids is going to be loaded for bear.

My guess is on the 2nd they send down the guys that can play and bring them back up if I am reading that rule right, which I might not be.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:21 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
They should have a good feel of where they are going at that point, they are probably still a playoff team we will find that out in the next couple of weeks, but if they aren't Grand Rapids is going to be loaded for bear.

My guess is on the 2nd they send down the guys that can play and bring them back up if I am reading that rule right, which I might not be.
Yup, sure sounds like you can do that without restrictions.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:39 PM
sarcastro

Quote:

Tatar is Hudler without the Flintstone feet.

Right down to the fact that Babcock hates his stinking guts.

Closed Thread