HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
  #51
sbrug
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
London will be ther when it matters and as for a bigger crowd for the Spits, not surpising as most Spits fans have long ago thrown in the towel for this season and if major changes do not happen, the Spits will not make the palyoffs next year. As for the Knights not being interested, Hunter will have them firing on all cylinders comes the playoffs and there will be an OHL Cup and a trip to the Memorial Cup final hands down.
The way teams like Sarnia and others play the Knights makes me thrilled if they could just get out of the West.

sbrug is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
  #52
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,991
vCash: 500
Getting outta the west is always the big hurdle in the O. Most years theres 3-4 teams as good as the top East team.

I respect SSM, Sar, Gue and Sag and the teams they have but London shouldnt be afraid of those teams.

Kit, OS and Ply I think are a bit ahead of those teams, but Ply will have D issues, OS scoring and Ktown just seems to be missing something

Going to be interesting for sure, but I like our chances. ya never know in the O

aresknights is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:41 AM
  #53
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Herbst..a realistic look

Let's look at Liam's situation realistically even though London has said he's still their goalie of the future


Liam has had 2 surgeries recently(4 if you count last summer)...then he'll be advised to have 2 more in the spring/summer. Timeline for recovery?...likely close to 4 - 6 months before he can start skating again. Next season is gone. After that..he still has to baby step his way back even if he does make it back to the game. He's a year out of the game now...this season is gone so in next year...that's 2 years out of the game without seeing one shot. He's not coming back in my eyes.

Sorry to say this..but I doubt the kid plays again..at a competitive level. I know he has a dream...but his dream now should be getting the best education possible and striving towards a realistic career choice. I don't think a future in hockey on the ice is gonna happen for him.

Sorry to be Mr Downer...but I just don't see this kid being in London's future plans..no matter what anyone says. Junior hockey has a 3 year cycle at best..if he can't go in year 2...cut ties..lick your wounds..and move on.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:53 AM
  #54
SimonKnightsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Let's look at Liam's situation realistically even though London has said he's still their goalie of the future


Liam has had 2 surgeries recently(4 if you count last summer)...then he'll be advised to have 2 more in the spring/summer. Timeline for recovery?...likely close to 4 - 6 months before he can start skating again. Next season is gone. After that..he still has to baby step his way back even if he does make it back to the game. He's a year out of the game now...this season is gone so in next year...that's 2 years out of the game without seeing one shot. He's not coming back in my eyes.

Sorry to say this..but I doubt the kid plays again..at a competitive level. I know he has a dream...but his dream now should be getting the best education possible and striving towards a realistic career choice. I don't think a future in hockey on the ice is gonna happen for him.

Sorry to be Mr Downer...but I just don't see this kid being in London's future plans..no matter what anyone says. Junior hockey has a 3 year cycle at best..if he can't go in year 2...cut ties..lick your wounds..and move on.
Exactly....poor kid has 2 surgeries to go yet and is entering his 17 yr old-grouping now. He gets those operations by spring and prepares for 2014 2 full years off London's schedule. I have feeling he goes back into draft as an 18 yr old if he even makes it back. GL to him with a lot of rehab ahead and I agree PP....he should be concentrating on another career path at some point with his body already breaking down. That amount of surgeries before he is 17 is startling . London will have to take that 2012 comp pic from Branch at some point.

SimonKnightsman is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:05 PM
  #55
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
I wouldnt right off Liam Herbst yet. I think 100% that u will see a comeback, If his body fails him, he may have to let his dreams go at that point, but its not over yet. Its heartbreaking to see this and I can only imagine what he is going through. He has so much talent. Going 2 years without facing a shot will create some rust yes but it will not dissolve 12 yrs he has already put in. I believe in Herbst until he decides its over.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:22 PM
  #56
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I wouldnt right off Liam Herbst yet. I think 100% that u will see a comeback, If his body fails him, he may have to let his dreams go at that point, but its not over yet. Its heartbreaking to see this and I can only imagine what he is going through. He has so much talent. Going 2 years without facing a shot will create some rust yes but it will not dissolve 12 yrs he has already put in. I believe in Herbst until he decides its over.
Nobody wants a storybook Cinderella finish more than myself for Herbst. I've been in his corner from the 1st day I watched him play. Just putting things into realistic perspective...if he can't go this year..The Knights have to look at every variable. If the OHL offers up a comp pick(which I highly doubt)...cut ties and move on.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:31 PM
  #57
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Nobody wants a storybook Cinderella finish more than myself for Herbst. I've been in his corner from the 1st day I watched him play. Just putting things into realistic perspective...if he can't go this year..The Knights have to look at every variable. If the OHL offers up a comp pick(which I highly doubt)...cut ties and move on.
I doubt there is a comp pick mainly because he signed,as opposed to not showing up
or refusing to sign, also unlike the tragic Jenkins situation
In this case drafter beware IMO

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:44 PM
  #58
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I doubt there is a comp pick mainly because he signed,as opposed to not showing up
or refusing to sign, also unlike the tragic Jenkins situation
In this case drafter beware IMO
Which is why I stated "which I highly doubt". Nobody really knows the variables when it comes to these comp picks. It's no fault of London Herbst can't play..but it is also no fault of the OHL's. We'll just have to see how it all plays out. If anything it'll give Windsor fans something to snicker about.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:48 PM
  #59
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Which is why I stated "which I highly doubt". Nobody really knows the variables when it comes to these comp picks. It's no fault of London Herbst can't play..but it is also no fault of the OHL's. We'll just have to see how it all plays out. If anything it'll give Windsor fans something to snicker about.
Not this Windsor fan,take no happiness seeing any player suffer or be hurt,as for the Knights u win some, u lose some in the draft
I think if the league were to allow a comp pick,they would have to insist the Knights
take a goalie in that spot 1st rder or not,or give compensation in the rd most goalies are taken after the 3rd rd,say a 4th rd selection,and that pick must be a goalie no position players
I just dont think a comp pick is warranted

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:54 PM
  #60
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I just don't think a comp pick is warranted
Neither do I..but one can't dispute that the Knights can't be faulted because a kid was misdiagnosed before they drafted him. You don't just show up to mini camp weigh ins with chronic hip problems and 2 blown out knees. Somebody knew..and somebody covered it up. Something stinks when you really look at the whole scenario.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 05:04 PM
  #61
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Neither do I..but one can't dispute that the Knights can't be faulted because a kid was misdiagnosed before they drafted him. You don't just show up to mini camp weigh ins with chronic hip problems and 2 blown out knees. Somebody knew..and somebody covered it up. Something stinks when you really look at the whole scenario.
Yes I agree I am sure they did their usual due diligence on a player,no fault of the Knights,and they seem willing to help but are being rebuffed by the family

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 05:06 PM
  #62
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Yes I agree I am sure they did their usual due diligence on a player,no fault of the Knights,and they seem willing to help but are being rebuffed by the family
Doesn't that raise the eyebrows just a little? What did they know going into the draft? Your son just "all of a sudden" has 2 blown out knees and the hips of a 65yr old man.. C'mon..I was born at night..but not last night.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 05:15 PM
  #63
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Doesn't that raise the eyebrows just a little? What did they know going into the draft? Your son just "all of a sudden" has 2 blown out knees and the hips of a 65yr old man.. C'mon..I was born at night..but not last night.
Makes me wonder if London and other teams before they draft a goalie,or sign one

a medical would be required especially in light of the info coming re goalies and their hips

because of the butterfly style and the torque type push off

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
  #64
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Getting outta the west is always the big hurdle in the O. Most years theres 3-4 teams as good as the top East team.

I respect SSM, Sar, Gue and Sag and the teams they have but London shouldnt be afraid of those teams.

Kit, OS and Ply I think are a bit ahead of those teams, but Ply will have D issues, OS scoring and Ktown just seems to be missing something

Going to be interesting for sure, but I like our chances. ya never know in the O
Plymouth scares me more than any other team in the league, with London right behind.

Kitchener is missing something. Heart. There is no one on this team willing or able to put the team on his back, nor is there anyone willing to call out his teammates and get them going. They'll be lucky to get out of the first round, unless Gibson stands on his head.

Today's game was men against boys. Kitchener came out flat and stayed there. The only goal was scored by a defensive defenseman. Brutal from where I sit, but great for you guys.

CharlieGirl is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:53 PM
  #65
Snippit
Registered User
 
Snippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
Here's a fun fact. For the past 5 years, the team that had top seed in the West ended up winning the OHL Championship.

London vs Saginaw as a first round matchup is pretty much a lock at this point.

I'd rather play them than Sarnia or the Soo, but I still think they have the ability to make this series very interesting. Paterson nearly stole the series for them last year, he usually plays us well. The Dow Event center probably isn't a fun place to play in (we usually seem to have trouble with games in the States).

Still, the better team usually wins in a 7-game series. London in 6.

Snippit is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
  #66
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Here's a fun fact. For the past 5 years, the team that had top seed in the West ended up winning the OHL Championship.

London vs Saginaw as a first round matchup is pretty much a lock at this point.

I'd rather play them than Sarnia or the Soo, but I still think they have the ability to make this series very interesting. Paterson nearly stole the series for them last year, he usually plays us well. The Dow Event center probably isn't a fun place to play in (we usually seem to have trouble with games in the States).

Still, the better team usually wins in a 7-game series. London in 6.
Saginaw does match up well with London since you guys don't seem to be an overly physical team. But I'd still say London in 7 in a very close series. Home team wins every game. The one Strong point you mentioned, Paterson, has had a bit of an off year, even with the younger team. He seems to be letting in more and more weak goals by his standard. His play right now worries me going into the playoffs. Also Saginaw's last game of the regular season is against London. Should be a good playoff preview in that one.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:45 AM
  #67
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Call me cocky..call me arrogant..don't care...but if everyone is healthy for the Knights entering the playoffs...I'll say Knights in 5 vs Saginaw in the 1st round.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  #68
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Call me cocky..call me arrogant..don't care...but if everyone is healthy for the Knights entering the playoffs...I'll say Knights in 5 vs Saginaw in the 1st round.
Why would people call you that. If Saginaw won a game that would be a surprise. Last 10 years 1 seeds are 40-2 against the 8 seed. If they lost a game that actually might be cause for concern.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:35 PM
  #69
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Straight Shooter
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Why would people call you that. If Saginaw won a game that would be a surprise. Last 10 years 1 seeds are 40-2 against the 8 seed. If they lost a game that actually might be cause for concern.
Because sometimes on these forums one's confidence in their team can oft times be interpreted as arrogance by some. I'll go the safe route and say 5 games..I do believe Paterson is capable of stealing a game by himself..but I don't think Saginaw has the horses to match London.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
  #70
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,991
vCash: 500
5 at most PP.
One line squad, equals trouble vs the knights.

aresknights is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 05:31 PM
  #71
nelli27
Danny Gallivan
 
nelli27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bud Gardens 107 K10
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
I believe Locke and Ross account for approx. 1/3 of Saginaw's goals.
Mr. Kingpin, I don't think London will dress many of their regulars for the game in Saginaw assuming Knights clinch first overall before then.
I respect Spirit but think we'll take series in 5 close games.

nelli27 is online now  
Old
03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
  #72
sbrug
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
I think every team except for Owen Sound thinks they match up well with the Knights. The bottom 4 teams in the West have all beaten London at least twice this year if I'm not mistaken. Soo and Plymouth have fast, aggressive teams. IMO, finishing first overall is as important as ever this year. Look at the potential first round matchups in the West. Guelph-Kitchener could go for a long time and either team could win, same with Soo-OS. Plymouth probably wrecks Sarnia in 4 games and Saginaw probably gives London a tough series but eventually lose.

Might have to buy the livestream for tonight's Guelph-Kitchener game...

sbrug is offline  
Old
03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
  #73
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja
 
Knights77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Section 314
Country: Canada
Posts: 724
vCash: 500
1st round matchup?

Knights vs Saginaw....prediction...

Knights in 3. The third game will be such a blowout, they will call the fourth game due to lack of players on the spirit squad due to demoralization.

*hey PP, now that...is cocky


For all those about to type a nasty reply, im kidding. The west is full of very competitive teams. I love our chances, but with that said...take a night or two off and you could be in a world of hurt.
Looking forward to it! My favourite time of year!

Knights77 is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
  #74
dino200022
Registered User
 
dino200022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
I dont know if it is just me or not but I am terrified of Plymouth. Was extremely happy when Kitchener Ousted them last year so at least winning the conference means that 2 other team will have the chance to clean them out before we hopefully get a chance. Lets hope it can happen again cause if not we will all be on the edge of our seats i think!

dino200022 is offline  
Old
03-06-2013, 09:27 PM
  #75
nelli27
Danny Gallivan
 
nelli27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bud Gardens 107 K10
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post
I dont know if it is just me or not but I am terrified of Plymouth. Was extremely happy when Kitchener Ousted them last year so at least winning the conference means that 2 other team will have the chance to clean them out before we hopefully get a chance. Lets hope it can happen again cause if not we will all be on the edge of our seats i think!
I'd say the only team that will inspire fear in their opponent is: LONDON!
No one wants to play the Knights, no one.

Knights clinch first overall in the OHL with SO win over Attack combined with Belleville's loss to Ottawa (yeah, that's right, Ottawa).

nelli27 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.