HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ladislav md

Old
03-03-2013, 05:58 AM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

vCash: 500
Ladislav md

http://capgeek.com/player/36

Hasn't been a value of thread about Smid in over a year and he's an upcoming UFA so I figured I would make one.

Was wondering if the Oilers' management has said anything about him resigning with them?

If not what would a deadline deal look like?

How much money will he get on the open market? Will he take a discount and stay in Edmonton? Does he have any friends you think he might look to play with, la Parise Suter?

w e l o s t b o y s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:05 AM
sully1410

I think Winnipeg woul love to get him, I we're in that kind of position come deadline

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:33 AM
InjuredChoker

Most teams would love to have him, I think.

But I also think he re-signs.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:34 AM
hlaverty06

Here come Oilers fans ... watch out

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:42 AM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post

Hasn't been a value of thread about Smid in over a year and he's an upcoming UFA so I figured I would make one.

Was wondering if the Oilers' management has said anything about him resigning with them?

How much money will he get on the open market? Will he take a discount and stay in Edmonton? Does he have any friends you think he might look to play with, la Parise Suter?
$3.5 million/year is his value IMO.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:47 AM
duul

vCash: 50
He's stated so many times that he loves Edmonton and how he doesn't want to leave. He is arguably Edmonton's best defenceman and won't be getting traded.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Fourier

Quote:

Smid loves Edmonton. The team loves him. He will resign.

Smid is not "untouchable" is the way the big five might be, bt it would take a pretty special trade to get him involved. Since the Heatley deal Smid has stepped up into a leadership role with the team.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
1I think Smid gets a deal similar to Giordano got. About $4 million a year for 4-6 years.

If he hits free agency I hope the Flames go after him.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

He's worth a mid 1st, but Edmonton isn't in any rush to trade him.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:27 AM
supert

Quote:

He worth 3.5 to 4 million . If he wants more then that we will trade him . I hope GMST has talked with him and his agent to know what they are looking for . Knowing GMST he probably sitting on his hands . From what i see he is out scouting for team Canada while the Oilers are paying him . I guess he thinks his job is to sit at the draft lottery and smile when we get the first OA pick . Then his second part of the job is to Call the players name . Fire the lazy **** already , bring in a real GM that is proactive instead of waiting until the last minute on everything

supert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:42 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
He worth 3.5 to 4 million . If he wants more then that we will trade him . I hope GMST has talked with him and his agent to know what they are looking for . Knowing GMST he probably sitting on his hands . From what i see he is out scouting for team Canada while the Oilers are paying him . I guess he thinks his job is to sit at the draft lottery and smile when we get the first OA pick . Then his second part of the job is to Call the players name . Fire the lazy **** already , bring in a real GM that is proactive instead of waiting until the last minute on everything
I hope the Oilers are prepared to offer up to 5 for him. He's good enough to make that kind of money, we won't be able to replace him easily (if at all), we already are weak on defense, and he'd probably get around 5 on the open market anyway.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:52 AM
dnicks17

I expect he'll sign an extension similar to the 5 year, $4.25M/year contract Vlasic got.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:53 AM
FanHabtic

This year's defense UFA's are a weak market. Smid would be smart to hold out for UFA. He would get an overpayment from a desperate team (including the Oilers).

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:00 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I expect he'll sign an extension similar to the 5 year, $4.25M/year contract Vlasic got.
I would say it would be closer to 3yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
This year's defense UFA's are a weak market. Smid would be smart to hold out for UFA. He would get an overpayment from a desperate team (including the Oilers).
The Oilers will not make the same mistakes the Habs make, Smid will be resigned before he becomes UFA. I don't believe Smid is as greedy as some players.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:02 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
I would say it would be closer to 3yrs.

The Oilers will not make the same mistakes the Habs make, Smid will be resigned before he becomes UFA. I don't believe Smid is as greedy as some players.
Its not about greed. Its about worth and value. The NHL is a business. Players generally want the most amount of money possible. If that wasn't true we wouldn't have had so many lockouts...

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:04 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Love Smid's game, one of my favorite "underrated" defensemen around the league.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Smid is not "untouchable" is the way the big five might be
Not in the sense of intrinsic value; but what about in terms of what the team needs? Think the loss of Smid would have more of a negative impact than one of the big five.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 03-03-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Its not about greed. Its about worth and value. The NHL is a business. Players generally want the most amount of money possible. If that wasn't true we wouldn't have had so many lockouts...
And yet every season there's players who sign on for less than they could get on the open market. Crosby and Malkin both took discounts, Tavares, even Edler this past year.

Smid loves the city, married a local girl, and has generally shown he wants to be here in every respect. If there's any player who might take less to be here long term it would be Smid.

His worth is likely in the 4-4.5 range on the open market. I'd like to see Edmonton lock him up for 4-6 years in the 3.5/yr range. At the same time if he get's 4/yr I wouldn't thin of it as bad contract...just less discount to be here.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:24 PM
rockinghockey

It is surprising that he has not resigned yet. On the radio station they have been saying that if he is not signed by the trade deadline that he could be traded. He is a good stay at home dman that blocks shots, sticks up for his teammates and is the perfect team player.
What is his worth? I think a lot of teams going for the cup would love to get this player.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
JMecc
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
It is surprising that he has not resigned yet. On the radio station they have been saying that if he is not signed by the trade deadline that he could be traded. He is a good stay at home dman that blocks shots, sticks up for his teammates and is the perfect team player.
What is his worth? I think a lot of teams going for the cup would love to get this player.
He better not be traded. Smid is what we need more of; a great character guy who plays well and does what he needs to.

JMecc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Halpysback

I'd do 6-7 years at 4-4.5 million, hopefully 4.25.

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
IMO the team was letting him focus on training, the shortened season, and his wedding first. Now they'll start in on some negotiations so he has the summer for his honeymoon without having to be in contact with his agent.

Never eard anything to say he doesn't want to be here and he's an integral part of our shutdown D. It'll happen.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

I get that there's nothing indicating him wanting to leave but has there been anything about him negotiating a new contract?

w e l o s t b o y s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Brian28

Quote:
I get that there's nothing indicating him wanting to leave but has there been anything about him negotiating a new contract?
Nothing public from insiders but his agent said something along the lines of not expecting negotiations to be difficult. I would expect things to get under way relatively soon.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Joey Moss

It would take a huge overpayment to get Smid off of Edmonton.. One of the top hitters and shot blockers in the league to go on top of his defensive style game. I'd expect him to sign in between 4-6 years, 4-5M per.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote