HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Johnson and Engblom

Old
03-01-2013, 08:09 PM
gholas

vCash: 50
I know a few that watches the other team's play by play telecast every chance there is, 50% because of Kayak and 50% for an outlook on the other teams thoughts on the Jets and insights about the opponent.

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:37 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 120
Engblom is the best of the bunch. I'm not a fan of Beyak's call. Nasally voice, makes a tonne of small gaffes, overuses a lot of terms ("tight turns"), and provides little to no insight to the game. Did he even play the sport?

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Brainstrained

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester24 View Post
I mean, you're supposed to be the Jets announce crew. I'm not listening for you to tow the NHL line in terms of the officiating. A little bias wouldn't kill them would it?

Nothing better than sitting at home and seeing it was a ****** call and then having your announce team say it was a good one. That's like being forced to eat feces and having someone tell us to say "Thank you sir, can I have another?"

Maybe it's just me but does this bother anyone else?
I think it's just you, but there may be a few others.

But really, where's the line between a little bias and a lot of bias? If the Jets suck do you want them to say the Jets are a cup contender? Or "the guys are putting in a lot of effort but aren't getting results"?

And whether you're at home or in a bar, so what if you disagree with an announcer or colour man. It's one call in a 60-minute game in a long season. Move on.

They should call the game as best they can, as honestly as they can.

Brainstrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
I think Engblom is doing a fantastic job. I mentioned it in the last BDT but I always come away learning something new when he does our games. Johnson I don't really have an opinion on.

I'm not sure about others but I don't want our announcing crew to be complete homers. I want the game called like it should be without any bias, otherwise we might as well all listen to Jack Edwards.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
I was listening to whomever they have on SportsNet West for the Oilers game tonight (nothing better was on).

I'm definitely glad TSN got the Jets, not Sportsnet. While I'll give you that Beyak is Nasally, he's also pretty damn good. And I definitely appreciate their more unbiased approach. I don't need my ego stroked - just tell me like it is.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

Engblom is the best in the business at what he does. compared to Mcquire, Johnson, Ferraro. He does a lot of games for NBC and TSN so he sees the entire league. I enjoy listening to his opinions on the Jets because he is comparing them to the rest of the teams from ice level

Blackie Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:06 PM
fatschoonerrat

Engblom is the best color man around. I first noticed him doing between period analysis during the Oil-Canes Final. He's super smart and does a great job communicating his points. A lot of color guys like to ******** around. Engblom gets it right every time.

Beyak, though. Man, this guy is like 5 seconds behind every play. How many times has he called Kane's name when it's Burmistrov. I mean, 8 and 9 look kind of similar in the Jets' font. But if I can tell...

Dan Kamal should have been retained to do play-by-play and promoted from radio to TV. Shame what happened to him.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Personally, I like Hnidy. Wish we could hear more from him.

However, anything on TSN is better than CBC. Good Lord it's awful.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Vander Teemuchuk

Yep. i see engblom on centre ice when I'm flipping thru other games around the league. I'll put the volume back on for him. i agree that sportsnet guys r pretty terrible. We are pretty blessed with our tsn crew

Vander Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Roooski

Anyone with any doubt or frustration with the TSN crew obviously didn't watch todays game on CBC.

Roooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:53 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooski View Post
Anyone with any doubt or frustration with the TSN crew obviously didn't watch todays game on CBC.
Mark Lee

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"I speak in monotone only..." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't like Mike Johnson. I really enjoyed having Shane Hnidy doing colour even when the game he did was against the team he won a cup with. He has more in-tell with the players today then Mike Johnson does.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Ulf Hullberg

Good - Johnson
Better - Hnidy
Best - Engblom/Ferraro

Dennis "Hyponasal" Beyak vs Mark "Melatonin" Lee....I'l take the sound of Beyak's nasal cavity every game!

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote