HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Matt Frattin - Says he will play against Pittsburgh.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:18 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger96 View Post
what flaws? he hits, he cycles, he passes extremely well, he's creative...

if you hate Kadri so much for his "flaws" I'd love to hear your thoughts on the rest of the teams "flaws"

were you expecting Sidney Crosby? heck, even HE has "flaws"
Kadri definitely has flaws. His main flaw by far is strength and balance, he gets pushed around and knocked over A LOT. He still competes very hard, hits, and takes the contact despite his lack of strength, but it's something he definitely needs to work on with time.

Other than strength/balance, his faceoffs need to improve, and he still needs to cut down a bit on those danger passes, where he throws the puck into the middle of the ice straight onto the opposition's stick, leading to odd man rushes against us.

Even with the flaws in his game he's been very effective, because he has so many strengths too. His hands are magic, his vision and general offensive instincts are very good, and his hustle has been great, he's been competing so hard at both ends of the ice. I'm psyched to have him on the team, and I'm really excited to see how good he can become, but let's not act like he doesn't have flaws, because his flaws are VERY apparent when you watch him play.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Donmega

hope frattin is back on monday

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Skeptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
and he still needs to cut down a bit on those danger passes, where he throws the puck into the middle of the ice straight onto the opposition's stick, leading to odd man rushes against us.
Not for nothing, but someone has to try them. Half of the team dumps the puck behind the net every time they get the puck along the boards. This is why I love Kadri right now, he's taking the risks. Our rushes and off. zone pressure is too conservative. Especially on our power play... when everyone is moving, something happens, more noticeable when any of Phaneuf/Franson/Liles are on the backend during the PP. This team just doesn't comprehend throwing the puck at the end, they'd rather pass it 15 times around the perimeter and turn it over in the corner than take a shot.

Skeptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:30 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Maybe, but I just don't like putting our leading goal scorer on the shutdown line. Now if that fourth line was legitimate then you could treat that as the shutdown line and afford to give Grabo some offensive players to work with. But I find it hard to believe Carlyle who has kept moving Orr up the lineup would scratch him. Or abandon the idea of his fourth line being a tough guy line.

Anyways, I'd rather give our top offensive center, some of our top wingers on his line. All he's missing to displace Bozak on the top line frankly is improving his faceoff %.
I thought JVR/Grabo/Kulemin looked fantastic early in the season, they were absolutely tearing it up in the short time they were together. They could be a shutdown line that also scores, and as you noted, the 4th line I proposed could also run some solid shutdown duty. In my opinion the only reason we broke up JVR/Grabo/Kulemin was that Kessel looked completely useless with any left wing but Lupul or JVR, so with Lupul injured we had to give him JVR so he could start contributing again.

I think the 4th line I proposed is still reasonably tough, McLaren can throw down, and Komarov is a hitting machine. You could be right that Carlyle will want more fighting ability, though. Still, when Frattin and Lupul come back, two forwards will need to get the boot, and IMO the weakest links are Orr and Brown.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:36 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptix View Post
Not for nothing, but someone has to try them. Half of the team dumps the puck behind the net every time they get the puck along the boards. This is why I love Kadri right now, he's taking the risks. Our rushes and off. zone pressure is too conservative. Especially on our power play... when everyone is moving, something happens, more noticeable when any of Phaneuf/Franson/Liles are on the backend during the PP. This team just doesn't comprehend throwing the puck at the end, they'd rather pass it 15 times around the perimeter and turn it over in the corner than take a shot.
Many of the risks he takes are good ones, but there are the odd passes he tries that he simply needs to identify as bad ideas. I don't mind turnovers in general, but there are good turnovers and bad turnovers, and when you have the puck deep in the opposition's zone, but try to throw it to the point with a defender in the way who can easily pick it off, that's a very bad turnover as it leads to tonnes of odd man rushes or breakaways.

It's not a huge deal, as I noted earlier Kadri is playing VERY well despite his flaws, because he also has tonnes of strengths. But strength/balance, faceoffs, and bad turnovers are areas that definitely need work in his game. His passing reminds me a fair bit of young Spezza, who made plenty of brilliant plays, but also too many bad turnovers on passes that he really should never have attempted. Over time Spezza has learned to cut down on the super dangerous passes, while still keeping the creativity in his game, I'm sure Kadri can do the same with time.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I thought JVR/Grabo/Kulemin looked fantastic early in the season, they were absolutely tearing it up in the short time they were together. They could be a shutdown line that also scores, and as you noted, the 4th line I proposed could also run some solid shutdown duty. In my opinion the only reason we broke up JVR/Grabo/Kulemin was that Kessel looked completely useless with any left wing but Lupul or JVR, so with Lupul injured we had to give him JVR so he could start contributing again.

I think the 4th line I proposed is still reasonably tough, McLaren can throw down, and Komarov is a hitting machine. You could be right that Carlyle will want more fighting ability, though. Still, when Frattin and Lupul come back, two forwards will need to get the boot, and IMO the weakest links are Orr and Brown.
IIRC, Carlyle said that Orr will play every game. Obviously he missed a couple with an injury, but I do believe the quote will still stand true.

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
MacA-Kadri-Frattin
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Orr
Steckel/McLaren

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:37 PM
rdawg1234

I was a big fan of this guy toward the end of the 2010-2011 season where he had that huge college year.

Last year he looked like an NHL player who had numerous chances but was simply snakebitten, couldnt find the scoring touch, but you knew he would explode one day.

he's finally doing that and he really seems like a pure goalscorer, not much of a playmaker, but the kind of guy that can put up 20-30 goals and about 15-20 assists a season.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I was a big fan of this guy toward the end of the 2010-2011 season where he had that huge college year.

Last year he looked like an NHL player who had numerous chances but was simply snakebitten, couldnt find the scoring touch, but you knew he would explode one day.

he's finally doing that and he really seems like a pure goalscorer, not much of a playmaker, but the kind of guy that can put up 20-30 goals and about 15-20 assists a season.
Ya pretty much. He is very fast, very strong, has a laser shot and a nose for the net. His hands and playmaking abilities are not very good (even though he had some nice give and goes with kadri).

I see frattin's potential as a Dustin Brown type player

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:07 PM
cdosrun

MacArthur is soft on the puck and will be leaving shortly anyways once a UFA.

They should pair JVR-Kadri-Frattin, and let them find some chemistry. A potent scoring line and JVR can still help backcheck as he usually does.

Lines:

Lupul-Bozie-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Grabo-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Steckel/Brown

cdosrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:58 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdosrun View Post

They should pair JVR-Kadri-Frattin, and let them find some chemistry. A potent scoring line and JVR can still help backcheck as he usually does.

Lines:

Lupul-Bozie-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Grabo-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Steckel/Brown
Man I like that second line.

Switch Grabbo and Bozak for me. I know, I know Stanley cup winning coach knows more than me bla bla bla. Can't we at least try it again?

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:02 PM
namttebih

BTW news on Lupul anyone?

Old
03-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebih View Post
BTW news on Lupul anyone?
this is Frattin thread, why is everyone talking about Kadri, Lupul, Orr?

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:10 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
this is Frattin thread, why is everyone talking about Kadri, Lupul, Orr?
Good God Lemon!?!

It's an injury thread about one of two injured top nine wingers, I was asking about the other. Chill.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:27 PM
dimi78

Quote:

Lines:

Lupul-Bozie-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Grabo-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Steckel/Brown
That's how I see it as well 2 scoring lines and Carlyle's match up line(GRABO'S LINE) is perfect cause it has balance to be offensive as well.

This team is taking it's shape the only missing ingredient as long as the goaltending doesn't fall off like last year is an up grade on Bozak and defensively clearing a roster spot for Gardiner which for me should be in Gunnarson's spot.

I wonder if a package of Bozak and Gunnarson could land one of Joe Pavelski from San Jose or Patrik Berglund from St. Louis? IMO these 2 are the only upgrades available that makes sense to trade for unless your willing to trade guys like Gardiner, Reilly or Kadri to get an elite #1 center... A trade like that would kill 2 birds with one stone upgrade on Bozak and get Gardiner back in the NHL where he belongs.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Tarmore

Quote:

Lines:

Lupul-Bozie-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-Grabo-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Steckel/Brown
I think you can switch JVR and Lupul in the short term at least.

Lupul will not be able to do full first line minutes when he comes back, putting him on Kadri's line who put in usually around 15 minutes give or take a night is a good fit IMO.

JVR is fitting well on a line with Kessel and Bozak, why screw that up?

We may find the adding Lupul to Kadri and Frattin is like pouring gas on a fire (i hope so at least) then he would stay there and the line would gain more minutes. If not when Lupul's conditioning is back up to being able to handle first line minutes back to the Kessel line he goes.

Tarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Us trying to put back lines that use to be amazing haven't worked for Kuli-Grabo-Mac might be the same for Lupul-Bozie-Kessel.

If we can reignite some old magic...

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel (This line had 2 PPG guys last year)
Kulie - Grabo - MacA (If they could go back to 3x 60pt form)
JvR - Kadri - Frattin (Potential on this line)
Komarov - McClement - Orr (a pain in the but line to play against)

_____ - Phaneuf
Gardiner - ______
Fraser - Franson (has been an amazing 3rd pair for us this year)

Reimer (If he can return to his rookie year play)
Scrivens (Capable of holding the fort back up)

If some lines can get back into their old form, then our offence could be among the leagues best. Issues is Kessel/Grabo/Kulie/Lupul haven't looked great this year, the little Lupul has played.

Need shut down guys to play with Phaneuf and Gardiner, not sure if Gunnar/Komisarek/Liles/Holzer are able to fill it adequately.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:27 PM
devilishleafs

Honestly I think its time to put Bozak down to the 3rd line. He isnt doing anything out there but win faceoffs and that is not enough to be on the 1st line. Kessel and JVR are working their best to creat chances without a legit #1C.

Lupal-JVR-Kessel
Mac-Kadri-Fratt
Kule-Bozak-Grabo
Orr/Mclaren-McClem-Brown/Komarov

Phaneuf-Holzer
Fraser-Franson
Gunnarson-Kostka
There was talk about JVR playing centre before the season and after seeing the chemistry he has with Kessel it only makes sense now to try it.

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:31 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Us trying to put back lines that use to be amazing haven't worked for Kuli-Grabo-Mac might be the same for Lupul-Bozie-Kessel.

If we can reignite some old magic...

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel (This line had 2 PPG guys last year)
Kulie - Grabo - MacA (If they could go back to 3x 60pt form)
JvR - Kadri - Frattin (Potential on this line)
Komarov - McClement - Orr (a pain in the but line to play against)

_____ - Phaneuf
Gardiner - ______
Fraser - Franson (has been an amazing 3rd pair for us this year)

Reimer (If he can return to his rookie year play)
Scrivens (Capable of holding the fort back up)

If some lines can get back into their old form, then our offence could be among the leagues best. Issues is Kessel/Grabo/Kulie/Lupul haven't looked great this year, the little Lupul has played.

Need shut down guys to play with Phaneuf and Gardiner, not sure if Gunnar/Komisarek/Liles/Holzer are able to fill it adequately.
It amazes me that people complain about how the team played last season with references of run and gun all the time yet we get so many posts with that line together again when it's purpose has changed... Mac doesn't fit on that line period, it's a shut down line that is matched heavily vs the oppositions best Mac is instantly a liability cause he's the type of player that when he's not scoring he's not doing anything else to a degree of effectiveness to help his line mates out to win games. That's why last season he was dropped down to the 4th line at times and even this year if it wasn't for injuries he was playing himself off the team

Still no love for Kostka and Holzer I see... I guess there will be many people on here who will be shocked that these 2 are going nowhere and will be on the team playing where they are well into next season never mind this year.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Action Jackson

when healthy:

01: Lupul, Bozak, Kessel
2A: Kulie, Grabo, Koma
2B: JVR, Kadri, Frattin

Lupul and Kessel play well together, period. Grabo's line will shut down the opposition, Kadri's line will play sheltered minutes and put on a show for Toronto.

Regardless, feels good to have a solid top nine for once when everyone's back

Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
drewski1988

@jonasTSN1050

Matt Frattin taking morning line rushes with Kadri and MacArthur. Might be in line to return tonight.

Awesome.

drewski1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
caribouPINE

Good news! A little longer than the "week" that they first announced.

But the Leafs always downplay their injuries.

caribouPINE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
when healthy:

Lupul and Kessel play well together, period. Grabo's line will shut down the opposition, Kadri's line will play sheltered minutes and put on a show for Toronto.

Put MacArthur on your 2A line. He's had chemistry with Kule and Grabbo in the past. And he can play either a defensive role or offensive one (well... better offensively than Koma at least).

4th line: Orr/McLaren-Mcclement-Komarov. Nice 4th line considering Jay and Leo will get a lot of PK time.

caribouPINE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
NHLFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski1988 View Post
@jonasTSN1050

Matt Frattin taking morning line rushes with Kadri and MacArthur. Might be in line to return tonight.

Awesome.
Come on Randy!!! Lets get some official confirmation. Can't wait to see Fratz back!

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:53 AM
NHLFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
when healthy:

While i agree Lupul and Kess had some nice chemisry I just don't know if they should fix what ain't broke. I say stick with JVR for now. Let the kids Kadri/Frattin hve a quality Vet like Lupul on their line. See what happens.....

I totally agree ----AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY with Mac!!!!

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Action Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Put MacArthur on your 2A line. He's had chemistry with Kule and Grabbo in the past. And he can play either a defensive role or offensive one (well... better offensively than Koma at least).

4th line: Orr/McLaren-Mcclement-Komarov. Nice 4th line considering Jay and Leo will get a lot of PK time.

You still don't realize that's a shutdown line?

Mac is as good as gone come trade deadline, I could care less

Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote