HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 04:13 PM
kihei

vCash: 4500

The Gatekeepers (2012), directed by Droh Moreh: Six former heads of Shin Bet, Israel's Secret Service, discuss operations which they took part in and ponder whether there efforts to provide security for Israel have been a blessing or a curse to the state. This is mostly talking heads and archival footage, so there isn't anything special about The Gatekeepers cinematically. But it is a very powerful indictment of the futility of Israel's approach to Palestine and Arab terrorism. There is a shared conviction among these men that Israel's method of dealing with Palestine has created a security apparatus and accompanying rationale that are no longer morally defensible. To hear the most senior of these men compare Israel's treatment of Palestinians with Nazi Germany's treatment of Poles during World War II is shocking. These men's change of heart may be self-serving, but as one of these gentlemen point out "after you leave this job, you become a bit of a leftist."

Old
03-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

The Gatekeepers (2012), directed by Droh Moreh: Six former heads of Shin Bet, Israel's Secret Service, discuss operations which they took part in and ponder whether there efforts to provide security for Israel have been a blessing or a curse to the state. This is mostly talking heads and archival footage, so there isn't anything special about The Gatekeepers cinematically. But it is a very powerful indictment of the futility of Israel's approach to Palestine and Arab terrorism. There is a shared conviction among these men that Israel's method of dealing with Palestine has created a security apparatus and accompanying rationale that are no longer morally defensible. To hear the most senior of these men compare Israel's treatment of Palestinians with Nazi Germany's treatment of Poles during World War II is shocking. These men's change of heart may be self-serving, but as one of these gentlemen point out "after you leave this job, you become a bit of a leftist."

From what I've heard, it seems to be Israel's version of The Fog of War, only minus the flash and cinematic nature that comes with being directed by Errol Morris. Is that off base?

Old
03-03-2013, 04:23 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
From what I've heard, it seems to be Israel's version of The Fog of War, only minus the flash and cinematic nature that comes with being directed by Errol Morris. Is that off base?
No, not off base at all. That would be a fair comparison, complete with hidden agendas and, as with McNamara, the sense of people perhaps trying to soften their legacies a bit for posterity. But powerful stuff, nonetheless.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
No, not off base at all. That would be a fair comparison, complete with hidden agendas and, as with McNamara, the sense of people perhaps trying to soften their legacies a bit for posterity. But powerful stuff, nonetheless.
I do want to see it. I appreciated The Fog of War as a piece of filmmaking, but I don't think I could have fully loved it. I'll admit to being fairly ignorant about a lot of the politics of the Vietnam War, and The Fog of War is certainly a film made for people who knew those politics in the first place. It doesn't plan on slowing down to teach anything.

However, I do consider The Thin Blue Line to be one of the very best, and most interesting, documentaries I've ever seen. I haven't seen Gates of Heaven, as great as I've heard it is. I have two dogs that I love very much, who are not exactly young (12 and 16). I'm afraid a film about pet cemeteries might hit a little close to home. Although I suppose it would be even rougher when one of them passes away...

Old
03-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Lebowski

Soooo... This week, I decided it was finally time for me to watch Star Wars. So I watched all six episodes of them. In a week .

And god was it good.

I was never too much into sci-fi honestly, and star wars just sounded like the kind of stuff only geeks love. I couldn't be more wrong.

I went Episode IV - I - II - III - V - VI. At first I thought about going by the order the movies came out, but then I figured it was useless since Star wars is so much impregnated into our culture that even if you never really took the time to watch it, you already know most of the punch lines. I had trouble enjoying episode IV at first because of how awful the special effects looked, but when you put things into perspective, you can get past those minor details.

I absolutely loved the prequels, especially the 3rd one. I really don't understand why they get so much hate. I think all of the main cast actor (yes, including Hayden Christensen) did a great job. Obvisouly, Star Wars strength relies on its universe and its incredibly story. Some of the dialogues are rather cringe worthy and there are some inconsistencies in the script, but let's not pretend the original ones, that are considered like absolute "classics", didn't have the same flaws, because they absolutely did. I can tell, after watching all of them back-to-back in such a short period of time. I think we can really link the hate on the prequels, or rather the love on the originals, to the same kind of nostalgia that affects some of the older posters here, always thinking X player was so much better at the time than X player in the current time.

The only thing I didn't like, mostly in the prequels, is that some parts seemed rushed, like the death of Dooku or the rather fast decline of Anakin. I think making another episode to really take time to develop the story would have been better.

Anyway. If there's anybody out here that did like me and haven't watched Star Wars yet... I highly recommend to get at it in the near future. I'm suddenly anticipating episode VII much more than I ever thought I could.

10/10. Maybe it's not "that good", from an old-school definition, but it's definitely entertaining.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Soooo... This week, I decided it was finally time for me to watch Star Wars. So I watched all six episodes of them. In a week .

And god was it good.

I was never too much into sci-fi honestly, and star wars just sounded like the kind of stuff only geeks love. I couldn't be more wrong.

I went Episode IV - I - II - III - V - VI. At first I thought about going by the order the movies came out, but then I figured it was useless since Star wars is so much impregnated into our culture that even if you never really took the time to watch it, you already know most of the punch lines. I had trouble enjoying episode IV at first because of how awful the special effects looked, but when you put things into perspective, you can get past those minor details.

I absolutely loved the prequels, especially the 3rd one. I really don't understand why they get so much hate. I think all of the main cast actor (yes, including Hayden Christensen) did a great job. Obvisouly, Star Wars strength relies on its universe and its incredibly story. Some of the dialogues are rather cringe worthy and there are some inconsistencies in the script, but let's not pretend the original ones, that are considered like absolute "classics", didn't have the same flaws, because they absolutely did. I can tell, after watching all of them back-to-back in such a short period of time. I think we can really link the hate on the prequels, or rather the love on the originals, to the same kind of nostalgia that affects some of the older posters here, always thinking X player was so much better at the time than X player in the current time.

The only thing I didn't like, mostly in the prequels, is that some parts seemed rushed, like the death of Dooku or the rather fast decline of Anakin. I think making another episode to really take time to develop the story would have been better.

Anyway. If there's anybody out here that did like me and haven't watched Star Wars yet... I highly recommend to get at it in the near future. I'm suddenly anticipating episode VII much more than I ever thought I could.

10/10. Maybe it's not "that good", from an old-school definition, but it's definitely entertaining.
As someone who didn't grow up anywhere close to the original Star Wars era, and thought the movies looked dorky and stupid growing up, and as someone who thinks the originals are overrated and put on a pedestal it probably wouldn't be on if things were seen in an unbiased vacuum, I disagree entirely-- The original three (flaws and everything) are so much better than the prequels, it isn't even funny. In my opinion.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:16 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Hotel Rwanda: 7/10

That dude has ****ing balls.

I really hate this planet sometimes. Amidst all the beauty it has to offer, there's always more that's ready to take it all away.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Safety Not Guaranteed.

8/10

It's funny and entertaining. Great story all the way to the end. Highly recommend it to anyone who like independent flicks with some humor.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:02 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

I really hate this planet sometimes. Amidst all the beauty it has to offer, there's always more that's ready to take it all away.
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for" - Hemingway.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Morlesio14*

21 and over 7/10

Old
03-05-2013, 08:55 PM
kihei

The Italian Straw Hat (1928), directed by Rene Clair: Rene Clair is one of the great French directors, and several of his best works were silent films, including this one. On his wedding day, Fadinard's horse eats a woman's hat while she is making love in the bushes with a nobleman who is definitely not her husband. The just barely in control Count demands that Fadinard replace the hat or he will start breaking everything in his apartment. Poor Fadinard has a pre-wedding ceremony, his actual wedding and a post-nuptial dinner to get through, so how is he going to chase down an identical lady's straw hat that will preserve the woman's dubious virtue? And what will his bride and her family think if they find out what is going on? That is not much of a plot, but execution is everything and the end result is delightful. The longer the movie goes on, the funnier and more inventive the comedy gets. The humour is physical, but never slapstick. As in many silent films, the impeccable comic timing in several scenes is the key to the film's clever humour. This effortless approach is also a good example of Clair's delicate touch as a director, a man who could make his technique invisible so that it called no attention to itself but told the story economically. Also, kudos to Albert Prejean who finds just the right combination of harried and bemused as Fadinard. Yes, The Italian Straw Hat is the very definition of a trifle, but it is a delicious one.

silent film/subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 03-06-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 11:54 PM
PensFan68

The Campaign 8/10

I usually hate Will Ferrell, but this was one of the funniest movies I've seen in quite a while. Was quite surprised.

The Watch 4/10

A couple funny moments, but just couldn't get into it. Not something that I wanted to shut off, but didn't really enjoy it either.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Shareefruck

Walking Dead: Season 1 - 0.5 or 1/5

I saw a few episodes before and wasn't too interested, but recently I tried to get someone into "Louie" and they were trying to get me to watch Walking Dead. It was only fair, and only six episodes.

I didn't like it. It didn't enrage me or anything (and I got through it without much of a struggle), but I didn't care about anything that was going on, didn't find it remotely fun/entertaining like I was under the impression it was supposed to be (I played around with a few random episodes of other shows on Netflix, and had by far the least fun with this one), and found a whole lot of it to be corny and uninspired. I also really disliked the storytelling technique of "let's get the viewers emotionally into this by making them take exaggeratedly hateful abuse from some cartoonish ***hole redneck character" that the show used over and over again in place of character development/real drama. Found that really annoying. Three crazy rednecks whose only purpose is to get people's blood boiling being a reasonably big focus of the attention in six short episodes is way too many.

And not that this next part really affected my opinion, but the perfect headshots were a little nutty-- It also stood out to me that shooting a gun really close to your own face put the protagonist in a temporarily screwed over state/left a ringing in his ears that one time in that first episode, but it constantly happens again after that and people (not to mention ones who seem to have never handled a firearm in their life) barely flinch (at one point while literally touching heads with the person who just got their head blown off). I don't know that that matters, but it was noticeable.

But yeah, I got sick of the show almost immediately.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-06-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 12:41 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995

Dark Skies (2013) 3/5 Nothing special. I enjoyed it.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:19 AM
abe jr

vCash: 4640
django unchained- 8/10 and i don't like QT

Old
03-06-2013, 10:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
She-Devils on Wheels: 4/10
I found myself with some birthday money to spend, so I bought a couple of collections of shlock legend Herschell Gordon Lewis' movies. I've seen and enjoyed Two Thousand Maniacs and The Wizard of Gore, and the sets are as cheap as the movies themselves, so why not. I popped in one I didn't know much about, She-Devils on Wheels. It's about an all-girl motorcycle gang who go about having orgies (kissing fests, really) and brawls and rough initiations. It was pretty much a dud - there's not enough here to titillate either on the sexy side or the gore side, and no real plot of any importance emerges to hold one's attention. I'm sure Tarantino had this in mind among others when making Death Proof, though.

Oz: The Great and Powerful: 7.5/10
A friend won free passes to this and the trailer made it look like it could be good, so I went. And it was. I haven't read the reviews but I think it deserves better than its 63% on the Tomatometer. It's a fun ride, with gorgeous visuals and a strong group of characters (both human and animated); it's funny and light without being vapid. James Franco as Oz is a good choice, though he isn't doing any heavy lifting, and Michelle Williams seems born to play the Good Witch.
A couple of complaints would be that the special effects are sometimes clunky, particularly when the humans are interacting with the background/animated characters, and the plot is Disney by the books, down to the unlikely misfits rising up against seemingly indomitable adversaries using heart and clever trickery. Which is symptomatic of the biggest problem with the movie: while it's good, it doesn't do anything great or separate itself from the pack with much originality. But it's fun, and considering the current cinematic fare on offer, you could do a lot worse for a night out with the family.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:34 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
She-Devils on Wheels: 4/10
I found myself with some birthday money to spend, so I bought a couple of collections of shlock legend Herschell Gordon Lewis' movies.
Why do I imagine you as Jerry who finally cashed his collection of birthday checks and now your grandma can't figure out how her money just suddenly disappeared

Old
03-07-2013, 12:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Why do I imagine you as Jerry who finally cashed his collection of birthday checks and now your grandma can't figure out how her money just suddenly disappeared
"She can't do that, she's on a very fixed income! Stop the show!"

Old
03-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

I recommend Shake Hands with the Devil as a follow up. It was captivating for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472562/?ref_=sr_2

Old
03-07-2013, 03:12 PM
PensFan68

Flight 6/10

Few people told me how great this movie was. The first half hour or so was amazing, but then it was pretty slow. Not sure what they could've done, but it was too drawn out.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Into The Wild

I've seen it many times but watching it again after reading the book recently made it seem somehow different. It was long but they didn't get to really show how much Alexander Supertramp affected all the people he encountered - how he changed Ron Franz's life for instance.

What bothers me a lot about the movie and book is the crowds of loud-mouths who're quick to pipe in something about how selfish he was, or how preventable his death could've been. I don't buy it and neither does the movie - he lived and wandered in search of himself before taking any steps forward, a true egoist (not egotist) and that's a philosophy that I think many of us abide by. Every time he had a chance to go back something stopped him, he didn't feel ready or comfortable with the notion of going back. When he returned to LA after his kayaking misadventures he was uncomfortable with the soullessness of it all and set off again.

Toward the ending with Ron is always a sobering moment when you realize that Ron loves him as much as he's loved anyone in his life and he has just met him. That's the kind of person Alex was, a brilliant and insightful man in search for the world.

As for the movie there is very little to complain about other than, maybe, Sean Penn should lay off the close-up shots a bit and also the establishing b-roll was a bit overused. It just drew the movie out a bit I found but aside from that I can't think of much else to say. It isn't a traditional Hollywood flick but it's so well produced that it doesn't make a difference - it's just good.

I think Into the Wild is in the undercard of my top10 movies of all time list.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Into The Wild

What bothers me a lot about the movie and book is the crowds of loud-mouths who're quick to pipe in something about how selfish he was, or how preventable his death could've been. I don't buy it and neither does the movie - he lived and wandered in search of himself before taking any steps forward, a true egoist (not egotist) and that's a philosophy that I think many of us abide by. Every time he had a chance to go back something stopped him, he didn't feel ready or comfortable with the notion of going back. When he returned to LA after his kayaking misadventures he was uncomfortable with the soullessness of it all and set off again.

What kind of annoys me about this guys legacy is that, IMHO, I think if he wasn't a college grad on his way to law school nobody (mainly the media) probably would have given a rats ass about him.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
The raven 2/10 plot holes, plot holes everywhere

Old
03-08-2013, 06:38 PM
kihei

Neighbouring Sounds (2013), directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho: The inhabitants of a well off middle-class neighbourhood in Recife, Brazil, hire outside security to insure that the streets are safe at night. Neighbouring Sounds focuses on several tenants as they go about their business and interact with the hired help. One keeps waiting for a shoe to fall, but it's a long wait, the movie having other things on its mind. What we do get are a series of scenes that provide intimate little peeks into people's lives, desires and fears. Gradually a theme subtly emerges related to the tension between a large social under-class (made up of working middle class people on down) and a smaller social over-class (consisting of well-off middle class people on up). The purpose of the big group is to look after the concerns of the privileged group. Neither side sees it quite so starkly, but that's what it boils down to, and the movie creatively tugs at the tensions that derive from this unacknowledged, potentially volatile arrangement. Even when nothing much happens in this movie, it always feels as though something just might at any moment. This is a relatively new hybrid of movie--a thriller's structure but minus the thrills--that seems increasingly popular these days. Though I often find these films frustrating, I admit they can be very good when done well (Take Shelter comes to mind). While I think we need a more accurate word than "thriller" to describe movies that create tension from general ambiguity, I must admit that Neighbouring Sounds is an accomplished piece of movie making that is very stylishly presented.

subtitles

Old
03-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Stu Macher

I think I would still describe Take Shelter as a domestic drama, because I think that is the true heart of the film. There are the "thriller" elements, but I really think the main push is the struggle of family.

So I'd say my two favorite films of 2011 are domestic dramas: A Separation and Take Shelter.

Closed Thread