HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smid to BUF (Deadline)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 04:46 PM
  #1
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Smid to BUF (Deadline)

Assuming Smid would re-sign with the Sabres. I think he'd be a perfect fit on the left side playing with Myers... What would it take to get him to Buffalo at the deadline?

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:54 PM
  #2
Empros*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
How about something around Smid for Myers.

Empros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:04 PM
  #3
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empros View Post
How about something around Smid for Myers.
not close

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:05 PM
  #4
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout
 
Kid Dynamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
Assuming Smid would re-sign with the Sabres. I think he'd be a perfect fit on the left side playing with Myers... What would it take to get him to Buffalo at the deadline?
Ott and Buf 2013 1st would be pieces that would interest the Oilers, we value Smid very highly and there is a good chance of him resigning so Buffalo would probably have to add to either of those pieces.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:06 PM
  #5
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,446
vCash: 500
I can't see any reason Oilers move Smid for anything reasonable.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:06 PM
  #6
Herman72
Season's Warnings
 
Herman72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Edmonton isn't trading one of their only effective NHL defensemen, but assuming they do, its for one of your young centers (Grigorenko, Hodgson, Girgensens).

Herman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:07 PM
  #7
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,657
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empros View Post
How about something around Smid for Myers.
Ok, this made me laugh.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:08 PM
  #8
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Ott and Buf 2013 1st would be pieces that would interest the Oilers, we value Smid very highly and there is a good chance of him resigning so Buffalo would probably have to add to either of those pieces.
exhibit A.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:09 PM
  #9
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,010
vCash: 500
Would have to involve Grigorenko probably I would think, as that would free up the Oilers to trade Gagner for a d-man, but the Oilers really aren't in a position to be giving away any effective D without some kind of plan to get one or more back.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:10 PM
  #10
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman72 View Post
Edmonton isn't trading one of their only effective NHL defensemen, but assuming they do, its for one of your young centers (Grigorenko, Hodgson, Girgensens).
exhibit B

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:14 PM
  #11
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Ott and Buf 2013 1st would be pieces that would interest the Oilers, we value Smid very highly and there is a good chance of him resigning so Buffalo would probably have to add to either of those pieces.
When has a team traded a top 5-10 pick for a pending UFA? Ever?

I get that he's valued highly, and for good reason, but that's absurdity. Assuming Smid would re-sign with Buffalo, I would be willing to move one of our top prospects not named Grigorenko, however.

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
  #12
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Pretty much nothing you guys want to part with. Smid is a valuable part of our team.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:17 PM
  #13
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman72 View Post
Edmonton isn't trading one of their only effective NHL defensemen, but assuming they do, its for one of your young centers (Grigorenko, Hodgson, Girgensens).
I'd strongly consider it

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:18 PM
  #14
Reacher Gilt
Registered User
 
Reacher Gilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
When has a team traded a top 5-10 pick for a pending UFA? Ever?
Why would a team heading for those kind of pick be a buyer at the deadline?

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:23 PM
  #15
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
Why would a team heading for those kind of pick be a buyer at the deadline?
Because Smid is young enough and good enough to be a key piece of the puzzle going forward. I see him as the perfect partner for Myers for years to come: A great defensive d-man with brains and legs.

An aggressive, proactive GM would identify a guy like Smid and go all out to acquire/ sign him before he hits UFA. Of course, I have very little faith that a guy like Regier would have the testicular fortitude to go through with such a move

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
  #16
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,446
vCash: 500
Stafford and a 3rd is about as high as I'd go.

Oilers refuse..I move on. No biggie.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
  #17
Gobo
What's Your Issue?
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wild Rose Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 500
Grigs +

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:26 PM
  #18
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Stafford and a 3rd is about as high as I'd go.

Oilers refuse..I move on. No biggie.
Oilers fans refuse, but would Tambellini if he was certain Smid was going to UFA?

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:35 PM
  #19
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,482
vCash: 500
I'm assuming Grigorenko isn't going anywhere. I'd probably consider Girgensons+2nd or Adam+1st or something along those lines.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:37 PM
  #20
haterbehatin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
Oilers fans refuse, but would Tambellini if he was certain Smid was going to UFA?
Not sure why you're trying to add a hypothetical scenario to try to get the bargain bin price you want to pay. If he won't sign for the team he has history and attachment to why would he sign for Buffalo. Why would you then want to pay anything for a guy you want for the future when under your scenario he's set on testing the market.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:41 PM
  #21
cpsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
what did buffalo fans expect to hear from oiler fans??

seriously, there is absolutely NO incentive for the oilers to trade smid. He is a solid D man, probably their most defensive oriented defenseman. On top of that he seems to like the city and the team, and if i recall correctly got married recently (i think to a local girl?)

on a team that is struggling from a defensive perspective, why would they in their right minds trade smid?


cpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:41 PM
  #22
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
Not sure why you're trying to add a hypothetical scenario to try to get the bargain bin price you want to pay. If he won't sign for the team he has history and attachment to why would he sign for Buffalo. Why would you then want to pay anything for a guy you want for the future when under your scenario he's set on testing the market.
This is a trade proposal on HFboards. Nearly it's entirety is hypothetical, hence the 'assuming he'd re-sign in Buffalo' part. I understand and acknowledge the fact that the chances are slim to none

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:42 PM
  #23
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,615
vCash: 500
The biggest issue is all signs point to Smid signing in Edmonton relatively easily, so effectively we are trading away a future piece and not a pending UFA.

If the Oilers did move him, they would need to have another backup plan for a legit top 4 dman in the summer and then hopefully Klefbom impresses at camp.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:46 PM
  #24
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
The biggest issue is all signs point to Smid signing in Edmonton relatively easily, so effectively we are trading away a future piece and not a pending UFA.

If the Oilers did move him, they would need to have another backup plan for a legit top 4 dman in the summer and then hopefully Klefbom impresses at camp.
Understood. Has there been rumors of them working on a new deal or has he just expressed interest in staying? Would a young and upcoming Top 4 D like McNabb or the local guy, Mark Pysyk interest the Oilers?

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
  #25
haterbehatin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
This is a trade proposal on HFboards. Nearly it's entirety is hypothetical, hence the 'assuming he'd re-sign in Buffalo' part. I understand and acknowledge the fact that the chances are slim to none
The issue is you want to assume Buffalo would trade for him and sign him which is plausible. However you also want to assume he wouldn't resign in Edmonton and can be acquired at a reduced rate. Just saying that doesn't seem very plausible.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.