HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ben Eager to the Habs

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 02:04 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Eager has 4 minor penalties(with two being coincidentals) all season.

He's also averaging close to 3.5 hits per game while playing under 10 minutes. His hits/60 is actually the same as the Habs' two best forwards(Prust and White) combined.

The preconceived notion of him being a reckless, useless idiot is so far off.
Great, the point though is he remains a fourth liner on any playoff team and his value would be as such. People tossing around demands of Eller are completely off base.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:39 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Great, the point though is he remains a fourth liner on any playoff team and his value would be as such. People tossing around demands of Eller are completely off base.
I made that offer and had a 2nd pick in there as well ,lol demanded, Maybe read thread instead of just hearing Eller and Eager

Old
03-03-2013, 09:53 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
So is expecting a team in need of physicality to trade one of their most physical players for peanuts. A trade needs to benefit both teams, there has been nothing proposed in this thread that benefits the Oilers, yet the butter soft Habs are getting a physically dominant player who can actually play hockey. You guys seem to be under the impression that Ben Eager is a useless goon. He`s not.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad420 View Post
He really does need some help, He refused to fight guys on his level against the leafs then challenges Phanuef to a fight while hes killing a 5min major, the guys a coward.

Montreal needs someone who will fight not some guy like prust whos gonna go around picking his fights every game.
Explain to me who challenged who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
So explain to me why the Habs should trade for a guy who can't crack our roster???
YOU don't think he'd crack the roster. I think he'd play on the 4th line and skip a game here and there. Who's right?

Quote:
I rest my case. The answer is of course it would be idiotic to trade for, and give up an asset, for a scrub who can't crack your roster. My work here is done!

/thread
Should have done that after your first post as we know where you stand. Let us talk about it in peace.

Quote:
Eager has 4 minor penalties(with two being coincidentals) all season.

He's also averaging close to 3.5 hits per game while playing under 10 minutes. His hits/60 is actually the same as the Habs' two best forwards(Prust and White) combined.

The preconceived notion of him being a reckless, useless idiot is so far off.
That's what I thought.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
I made that offer and had a 2nd pick in there as well ,lol demanded, Maybe read thread instead of just hearing Eller and Eager
Eller is worth more than a 4th line banger and a 2nd. One would think you would have understood that. Eller is progressing nicely, thank you very much. At some point he will replace Plekanec, about the same time that Galchenyuk replaces Desharnais. That will be a very nice 1-2 punch up the middle. The Habs are letting Eller develop the right way. He is worth more than a 4th liner and a 2nd. Try reading the thread instead of just hearing that Eager is not worth Eller. There is a reason people do not like the deal from a Habs POV. Eager brings us nothing we do not already have. The 2nd round pick does not make up what we lose between Eller and Eager. How in heck do you Oiler guys not get this? Wow, people claim Habs fans overvalue players, but this is ridiculous! Eager does not get Eller, whether or not you include a 2nd rounder. Eager can not, is not, and could never be, the main part of a deal for a player like Eller or a prospect like Thrower. Try and understand that, please.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Explain to me who challenged who?

YOU don't think he'd crack the roster. I think he'd play on the 4th line and skip a game here and there. Who's right?

Should have done that after your first post as we know where you stand. Let us talk about it in peace.

That's what I thought.
Yes, Eager would be able to play on our 4th line. Heck, he could probably play on most teams 4th line. Let's agree on that.

Now, what do you think we should give up for him that the Oilers would want? Have you read the thread? There have been Oiler fans who don't even want Eller for Eager! So, with that kind of "value" on Eager, how do we acquire him? What do we offer for him that is "worth" it to both teams? If Eller is not something we would offer because he is too much from our perspective, but he is not enough from certain Oiler fans' perspectives, how do we acquire him? You tossed out Moen, but even recognize that Moen is more valuable as a hockey player than Eager, so how does that work for us? You are so determined to get Eager and defend his value you have yet to propose something that works. You have spent all of your time fighting with a fellow Habs fan but not actually coming up with an offer that works for both teams.

So, rather than continue fighting about whether or not Eager would crack our roster as a 4th liner, make an actual offer and see what both teams' fans think. As a Habs fan, I would say "no" to a Moen for Eager straight up deal. If the Oilers would add, then the "+" would determine whether or not it is possible. If the Oilers do not add, then make some other offer.

However, if Eller for Eager and a 2nd is the kind of value that Oiler fans are looking at, there is no deal to be made based on what Eager brings, the kind of value Eller has, and the fact that there are other 4th line type of bangers available for less than the value of Eller.

There is no need to get into a pissing match with anybody, just see if a reasonable offer can be made. If not, let this abortion of a thread come to its already determined end.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:49 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Yes, Eager would be able to play on our 4th line. Heck, he could probably play on most teams 4th line. Let's agree on that.

Now, what do you think we should give up for him that the Oilers would want? Have you read the thread? There have been Oiler fans who don't even want Eller for Eager! So, with that kind of "value" on Eager, how do we acquire him? What do we offer for him that is "worth" it to both teams? If Eller is not something we would offer because he is too much from our perspective, but he is not enough from certain Oiler fans' perspectives, how do we acquire him? You tossed out Moen, but even recognize that Moen is more valuable as a hockey player than Eager, so how does that work for us? You are so determined to get Eager and defend his value you have yet to propose something that works. You have spent all of your time fighting with a fellow Habs fan but not actually coming up with an offer that works for both teams.

So, rather than continue fighting about whether or not Eager would crack our roster as a 4th liner, make an actual offer and see what both teams' fans think. As a Habs fan, I would say "no" to a Moen for Eager straight up deal. If the Oilers would add, then the "+" would determine whether or not it is possible. If the Oilers do not add, then make some other offer.

However, if Eller for Eager and a 2nd is the kind of value that Oiler fans are looking at, there is no deal to be made based on what Eager brings, the kind of value Eller has, and the fact that there are other 4th line type of bangers available for less than the value of Eller.

There is no need to get into a pissing match with anybody, just see if a reasonable offer can be made. If not, let this abortion of a thread come to its already determined end.
When healthy, the Habs 4th line is Prust-White-Moen (with Armstrong on the outside looking in).

The rest of the lines:

MaxPac-DD-BGally
Bourque-Pleks-Gionta
Eller / Gally - Ryder

Who exactly is Eager gonna supplant off the 4th line? If we have injuries he can play. If healthy he would sit. And he doesn't fight (or sucks at it).

Old
03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
bud12

habs can find a Eager clone for almost nothing. No way they would give good assets to get him. Plus, he's not the kind of player that the habs need. To much of a spot picker that will disappear again tough teams....

Old
03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
So is expecting a team in need of physicality to trade one of their most physical players for peanuts. A trade needs to benefit both teams, there has been nothing proposed in this thread that benefits the Oilers, yet the butter soft Habs are getting a physically dominant player who can actually play hockey. You guys seem to be under the impression that Ben Eager is a useless goon. He`s not.
Given his concussion issues, I'd say he might be useless *as a goon*.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:16 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
habs can find a Eager clone for almost nothing. No way they would give good assets to get him. Plus, he's not the kind of player that the habs need. To much of a spot picker that will disappear again tough teams....
I'm curious what 22 hits/60 player who can skate even half as well as Eager and chip in offensively you could get for almost nothing.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
bud12

Sestito and Volpatti not to long ago...... and hits stat are overrated. You can probably acquire a guy like Haley for a 4th. And I take Haley before Eager....

Old
03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
I'm curious what 22 hits/60 player who can skate even half as well as Eager and chip in offensively you could get for almost nothing.
Matt Kassian would be a better fit for Montreal. Eager skates better, but is older and has injury issues that Kassian does not have. Kassian can also fight. As was pointed out by FanHabtic, who would Eager replace in our line up? Never mind paying an asset for him, who is he going to replace? He doesn't fight. We have Moen, White, and Prust to give us energy, and all of those guys can fight, to one degree or another. Sestito and Haley, and Volpatti are all guys that would be better for the Habs. Size is great. Hits are cool. We need someone who can combine size, hits, AND heavyweight fighting ability. Does that sound like Eager to you? As far as Eager's offensive abilities goes, 32 points in 142 games (last 2.5 seasons) is not exactly impossible to replace. 17 points was his best ever. He has a whopping 2 this season in 11 games. He has never played an entire NHL season.

Why is this superstar player not being talked about around the league, or being asked for all around the trade boards here? Heck, a guy that irreplaceable has to be worth...never mind. He is NOT what we need, especially if he is the primary piece with a 2nd for Eller.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:45 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

None of those guys are even remotely in Eager's realm of hits or skating.

Volpatti doesn't fight and he's all of 6'0'' 215lbs...that's a heavyweight?

Haley...5'11'' 198lbs...heavyweight? haha

I don't care where or why Eager fits into the Habs line-up because it's not going to happen. He's a valuable piece on the Oilers that we sorely need. Far more valuable than the waiver fodder most are equalling him to.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:50 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:

I don't care where or why Eager fits into the Habs line-up because it's not going to happen. He's a valuable piece on the Oilers that we sorely need. Far more valuable than the waiver fodder most are equalling him to.
I get what you are saying. To the Oilers he is serviceable but to most teams he is waiver fodder. He is not valuable by any means. His 9 mins per game are replaceable.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:52 PM
bud12

Quote:

who talk about heavyweight? And Volpatti fight way more than Eager. Eager have one fight this year . Volpatti have 5, Haley is one of the best middleweight that you can have and Sestito is a better player than Eager. Keep dreaming.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:00 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

Quote:
who talk about heavyweight? And Volpatti fight way more than Eager. Eager have one fight this year . Volpatti have 5, Haley is one of the best middleweight that you can have and Sestito is a better player than Eager. Keep dreaming.
This guy(the post I was responding to):
Quote:
We need someone who can combine size, hits, AND heavyweight fighting ability. Does that sound like Eager to you?

Old
03-03-2013, 01:04 PM
bud12

and???? whats the point with Volpatti and Haley? I'm not the one who talked about heavyweight. I talked about Eager clone. And Volpatti fighted 2 legit heavy this year and Haley would fight heavy if he have to. These 2 guys bring more to the table than Eager.

Last edited by bud12: 03-03-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
That's your rebuttal? Evidently, you have not seen the Habs play. Eller is playing like the first round pick he was and would garner much more than Eager and a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I am not expecting anything of Edmonton, but merely noting an overvalued assessment when I see one. Keep Eager and be happy with him but to expect the returns Oiler fans have tossed around in this thread is ridiculous. He is an inferior player to Ponikarovsky, who just went for what, a fourth? I could see Moen going but Eller, not even close.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:10 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

Quote:
and???? whats the point with the Volpatti and Haley?
Read the post?

He brought those two up as better fits to that criteria.

Anyways, I get it...Habs fans want an answer to Orr and McLaren.

Eager isn't that guy. And because he isn't that guy doesn't mean he isn't worth anything. He's far more valuable to the Oilers and other teams as a bottom 6 player than he is a 4th line goon. Hence the Oilers fans asking for more than scraps in return.

It'd be like saying Andrei Markov isn't worth anything because he wouldn't make any team as a shutdown defenseman.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:17 PM
bud12

Quote:
Read the post?

Eager isn't that guy. And because he isn't that guy doesn't mean he isn't worth anything. He's far more valuable to the Oilers and other teams as a bottom 6 player than he is a 4th line goon. Hence the Oilers fans asking for more than scraps in return.

It'd be like saying Andrei Markov isn't worth anything because he wouldn't make any team as a shutdown defenseman.
this is exactly what we are saying from the beginning. We can close the thread

Old
03-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
So, rather than continue fighting about whether or not Eager would crack our roster as a 4th liner, make an actual offer and see what both teams' fans think.
You've been on HF Boards for a while, have you? If so, like me, you should give up on trying to please one or both fan bases as every time an actual trade happen, one or both sides are unhappy. Further, in trade proposals, never have we seen both sides get to a common agreement. It's unrealistic to expect that.

Quote:
Agreed that the pissing matches, as you say, are worthless. What I don't get is why people keep posting in the thread if they don't like the potential ending. People should move along and not participate if they don't like the thread, it's that easy.

Quote:
When healthy, the Habs 4th line is Prust-White-Moen (with Armstrong on the outside looking in).

The rest of the lines:

MaxPac-DD-BGally
Bourque-Pleks-Gionta
Eller / Gally - Ryder

Who exactly is Eager gonna supplant off the 4th line? If we have injuries he can play. If healthy he would sit. And he doesn't fight (or sucks at it).
The one(s) traded to make room for him?

Quote:
I get what you are saying. To the Oilers he is serviceable but to most teams he is waiver fodder. He is not valuable by any means. His 9 mins per game are replaceable.
He's serviceable to most NHL teams. Oh no, we disagree. Now who's right?

Quote:
this is exactly what we are saying from the beginning. We can close the thread
The HF Boards syndrome: close the thread because I don't like what I'm reading! *sigh*

Old
03-03-2013, 03:25 PM
bud12

ok, you want Eager, fine. Which asset you give for him and what do you think he will do again tough teams like Toronto or Boston?

Last edited by bud12: 03-03-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Read the post?

Yes, I brought those other players to the discussion because they supply more of what we NEED than Eager does. As stated in this thread over and over, we have players on our 4th who do what Eager does. We need someone better than Eager for our team, someone who can fight as well as hit and provide some energy. Every guy I mentioned can and will fight anyone in the game. Winning the fight is a different story. Eager won't even fight. So, yes, those guys do fit the criteria better. I also brought up Kassian as the primary guy to get over Eager, you gloss that point over nicely.

Eager is worth more to YOUR team than scraps. Fine. We agree. Eller and Thrower are far from "scraps"... And far from Eager is what many Habs fans have pointed out. There are some Habs fans that stated Eager was a worthless scrub. I was not one of them. I stated Eager is a serviceable 4th liner. He is. As such, he can not be the main piece in a trade for a player like Eller or a prospect like Thrower, especially with him having a potential concussion factor added in.

Actually, the only offer from a Habs fan was around Moen and Eager, with a suggestion that the Oilers might have to add something. That option was never truly explored and is far from "scraps" as an offer for Eager.

I am glad you finally "get" why Eager is not what we want or need. It has been the crux of my argument all along.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You've been on HF Boards for a while, have you? If so, like me, you should give up on trying to please one or both fan bases as every time an actual trade happen, one or both sides are unhappy. Further, in trade proposals, never have we seen both sides get to a common agreement. It's unrealistic to expect that.

Wrong. Having been a member for a few years, I can tell you I have come to fair agreements on many threads involving trades between two teams. Most people here are not unreasonable, just very attached to their own players.

Agreed that the pissing matches, as you say, are worthless. What I don't get is why people keep posting in the thread if they don't like the potential ending. People should move along and not participate if they don't like the thread, it's that easy.

I can not speak for "people", but I keep posting in order to explain a specific position. I also like to reply to people who quote me or comment on my posts or statements, directly or otherwise. I follow the rules and try to bring a certain perspective to the discussion.

The one(s) traded to make room for him?

Which of our 4th line guys would we trade that the Oilers would want? Based on this thread, none. Heck, Eller would not be enough to get Eager, so your sarcasm is misplaced and silly.

He's serviceable to most NHL teams. Oh no, we disagree. Now who's right?

Neither and both.

The HF Boards syndrome: close the thread because I don't like what I'm reading! *sigh*
When most of the thread is about denigrating a team's players, and nothing useful is going on other than a pissing match, yes, the thread should be closed. All proposals have been discarded by one side or the other, and most of the thread has been about derogatory comments. Nothing more is going on. Heck, even you have yet to try and make a real offer and see if there is any common ground between the two teams to make a trade around Eager.

So, yes, if neither fan base can come up with a trade offer that either side will not find a way to denigrate, it is time to end the thread. Maybe you should try to make a worthwhile offer based on what both teams' fans have stated their needs and desires are, rather than make sarcastic and silly statements and diatribes about who should be posting or not in this thread...

Old
03-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Wrong. Having been a member for a few years, I can tell you I have come to fair agreements on many threads involving trades between two teams. Most people here are not unreasonable, just very attached to their own players.
For each person who you've agreed with, there were 5 who didn't agree. That's my point. You will NOT find an agreement with a fan base, as you say, but with ONE or SOME fans from other teams.

Quote:
I can not speak for "people", but I keep posting in order to explain a specific position. I also like to reply to people who quote me or comment on my posts or statements, directly or otherwise. I follow the rules and try to bring a certain perspective to the discussion.
I think you misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting you weren't following the rules. I just find that at some point, if someone grow tired of a thread, they should just skip over it instead of polluting it with the same thing over and over again. But that's just me, I guess.

I'll give you the example of the "Value of Carey Price" thread. I find it to be useless because I just can't see being even an hypothetical question. Instead of debating in it, I didn't go read it. Others, I'll post my two cents (can we still say that now that they're gone?) and I'll move to something else. This allows those who still want to discuss it to do so in peace.

Quote:
Which of our 4th line guys would we trade that the Oilers would want? Based on this thread, none. Heck, Eller would not be enough to get Eager, so your sarcasm is misplaced and silly.
On my Twitter the other day, I suggested Moen and there were some mix responses. Some liked it, others didn't. If you find my sarcasm silly, why do you follow me on Twitter and keep reading me here?

Quote:
When most of the thread is about denigrating a team's players, and nothing useful is going on other than a pissing match, yes, the thread should be closed. All proposals have been discarded by one side or the other, and most of the thread has been about derogatory comments. Nothing more is going on. Heck, even you have yet to try and make a real offer and see if there is any common ground between the two teams to make a trade around Eager.

So, yes, if neither fan base can come up with a trade offer that either side will not find a way to denigrate, it is time to end the thread. Maybe you should try to make a worthwhile offer based on what both teams' fans have stated their needs and desires are, rather than make sarcastic and silly statements and diatribes about who should be posting or not in this thread...
The goal isn't to come to an agreement here, it will NEVER happen. The goal is to have discussions. You don't like the thread? Move along. I find Eager useful, others disagree. That's okay, agree to disagree. Easy isn't it?

Closed Thread