HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyson Barrie

Old
02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Elliott was really snakebit in the games I saw in LEM this year. He tried to get it going offensively by jumping up in the play but didn't get anything for it.

All things considered I think he's settled down the last two-three games.

To Sacco's credit he's sticking with the guy because he wants the mobility and puck moving from the back end. For a coach that needs to win, it takes quite a bit of courage.
I don't know how much credit I'd give him--he kept Barrie on an extraordinarily short leash to start the season. I feel he's giving the kids some leeway because he doesn't have a choice. If EJ were in the lineup I can't help but feel we'd be seeing more of the same.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I don't know how much credit I'd give him--he kept Barrie on an extraordinarily short leash to start the season. I feel he's giving the kids some leeway because he doesn't have a choice. If EJ were in the lineup I can't help but feel we'd be seeing more of the same.
I think it's ok to give a kid a few games, let him watch a few games from above and then giving him a chance again. All this while practicing with the team.

I don't necessarily see it as messing with a kid but more as a normal part of player development. This is why I wasn't bothered with Sgarbossa in the press box for a week or two. They're still learning.

Of course when your rolling out semi-corpses who can't move the puck instead it's a little bit frustrating, but I put that more on Sherman than Sacco.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:01 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Sacco has choices...and for better or worse, he's made the decision to keep O'Brien as far from the ice as possible on game day. We can debate the quality of Sacco's decision making powers if you'd like but he is penciling in Elliot over SOB right now and has allowed Barrie the time to elevate his game since EJ went down. You can call that not having a choice but when the AVs roll every night with a newly resigned SOB eating nachos every game-night I'm not buying it.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:04 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Sacco has choices...and for better or worse, he's made the decision to keep O'Brien as far from the ice as possible on game day. We can debate the quality of Sacco's decision making powers if you'd like but he is penciling in Elliot over SOB right now and has allowed Barrie the time to elevate his game since EJ went down. You can call that not having a choice but when the AVs roll every night with a newly resigned SOB eating nachos every game-night I'm not buying it.
I'm sure there is something deeper going on with SOB.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I think you need to let Barrie get fully comfortable at the NHL level before you mess with his position. It is too soon to try it simply because it might destroy the confidence he has built so far if it goes badly. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it late this season or next season though.
Barrie doesn't strike me as a dude lacking confidence.
i don't think bad play would affect him like some think.
i think the sooner you try it the better because he hasn't fully grown into one role so if he can't handle it you shuffle him back and it's no issue, if he can handle it then he continues to grow and doesn't have a huge adjustment to make.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
From what I saw last year opportunity-wise, Sacco (or someone in the organization) is big on Elliott but not so sold on Barrie. I gotta agree with them too - I never understood the Barrie hype. I think the Barrie is a decent prospect but at best a fringe 2nd pairing guy.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Sacco has admitted that the blueline was in sore need of offense, too bad it took him and management that many games to realize a blueline full of pylons just wasn't gonna get it done.

No idea what in hell O'Brien did, but it's clear he's in the doghouse and probably won't get out anytime soon. The fact that he's still in the press box despite all these injuries tells me he'll be moved before he sees anything more than spot duty.

O'Brien shouldn't be playing over Elliott or Barrie, but he should've gotten a nod over O'Byrne or Zanon by now.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
If you re-do the 2009 Draft today, he's a surefire first round pick and his stock is rising.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:16 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I always liked that pick but he is impressing me more and more every game. He is becoming so calm and patient with the puck. Lots of confidence right now.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
From what I saw last year opportunity-wise, Sacco (or someone in the organization) is big on Elliott but not so sold on Barrie. I gotta agree with them too - I never understood the Barrie hype. I think the Barrie is a decent prospect but at best a fringe 2nd pairing guy.
I don't understand how you can be saying that if you've been watching the past 10 games.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Right now a 2nd pairing guy is a lot better than the 5th and 6th dman bums that this team loves to sign.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Why is it so utterly beyond Sacco's comprehension to perhaps try putting either O'Byrne or Zanon in the press box instead of SOB or one of the rookies!?!?

Old
02-27-2013, 01:10 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I wish Johnson and Wilson would get healthy, and that we could deal O'byrne for a 6th or whatever we can get.

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
O'brien - Elliott

Rookie mistakes and all would be so much more watchable than Hunwick, Zanon, O'byrne getting 20+ mins a night against top competition. None of them should be anything more than 6/7 dmen.

On topic though, Barrie has been awesome. He seems to get more confident every day. He'll be a top 4 regular for us for years and hopefully Elliott can take his next step over the next year.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Didn't watch last nights game, but over 24 Mins for Barrie again and +1, safe to say he's very quickly coming into his own on this team.

He's playing the minutes of a #1 Dman on a nightly basis at this point, and playing very well.

What a good draft steal that would be for us if Barrie were to develop into a Boyle level offensive Dman or a Markov.

Doesn't seem far fetched with the way he's played the last 10 games or so.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
O'Brien - Elliott
Yup that's what I want.
With Zanon and Hunny eating nachos and O'Byrne eating nachos somewhere else.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Avs71

Month of February:

Barrie- 9GP, 1G, 4A, 5PTS, -2, 22:49 avg ice
Shattenkirk- 12GP, 1G, 6A, 7PTS, -5, 22:34 avg ice

Pretty similar month for them. Obviously a comparison of the year to date wouldn't even look close as Shatty had a great first month, but going forward I think Barrie will be just one level below Shattenkirk, which is pretty damn good.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:13 PM
landesberg
p stastny

Tied with Hedja for points by a defenseman this season with his assist in today's game.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
Tied with Hedja for points by a defenseman this season with his assist in today's game.
You can't send Barrie down. Keep him at least as #6 defenseman. Trade one of our bad defensemen.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 2000
They absolutely have to keep him. Even if it means waiving someone.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Top four should be:

Wilson-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie

I think O'Brien has played well lately and should be in the line up on the bottom pairing.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
They absolutely have to keep him. Even if it means waiving someone.
Agreed...

Waive Hunwick or/and O'byrne

I thought O'byrne was his last name...not what happens to him on every play...

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Agreed...

Waive Hunwick or/and O'byrne

I thought O'byrne was his last name...not what happens to him on every play...
Oh, Burn!!!

landesberg
p stastny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Top four should be:

Wilson-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie

I think O'Brien has played well lately and should be in the line up on the bottom pairing.
Considering how Elliott doesn't look ready, and that Sacco hates him for no reason, that leaves the final spot open for either:

1) Ryan O'Byrne
2) Matt Hunwick
3) Greg Zanon

Pick your poison.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Top four should be:

Wilson-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie

I agree with this as well...but even when he doesnt play all that well he seems to boost the team. I think he is more of a locker room guy than people give him credit for and when he plays with intensity he can be good.

Barrie has to stay though. Hes made too much progress now to send him down.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Can't send down our second or third best defender.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote