HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ericsson Appreciation Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I've already explained it. He had a MONSTER game and that one play doesn't take away from it. Rather than have talk about him be buried in the GDT, I figured this would be a good avenue and avoid off-topic pissing contests.
The fact that some people think one mistake erases all of the good things players do in a game clearly demonstrates they are not capable of actually looking at the overall performance.

If we lose a 4 OT game where Howard lets in a soft goal after making 80 saves, he still had a great game.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
E has been quite a revelation this season. He's made me a believer...he can't make mistakes like he did at the end of the game though.
On the upside, did you see how frustrated he was with himself? He took it really hard. That's good. Fuel for the fire. A big body like that playing with passion is going to be a pain for other teams.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

For me, Ericsson was one of my favorite prospects ever since one of RWC's early prospect profiles on him.
He beat all expectations every step of the way. When he played for us in the playoffs of 09, he looked ready to be a potential top 4 defenseman.
But he struggled mightly in 2010 and when the 2010-11 season began, many wondered if Kindl would supplant Ericsson on the third pairing.
Ericsson has improved since then and is off to a decent start. But he's still not very good at important aspects -- including the transition game under pressure.
He still gets burned often.
And he still doesn't always show up to play physical hockey.

Today, for example, Kindl was credited with 6 hits. Ericsson had 1.

Another thing to remember is that a top pairing defenseman should contribute to the offense. Today, Ericsson had zero shots on goal. He doesn't play the powerplay, so he misses out on a great chance to pad his stats. But Ericsson rarely plays hockey in the offensive end.,

A top pairing defenseman should help his team get into the offensive zone and help his team play well once in there.

Is that Ericsson? I don't think so.

I think what you have in Ericsson is a big, third pairing defenseman who is playing out of position because Kronwall needs cover.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
I've already explained it. He had a MONSTER game and that one play doesn't take away from it. Rather than have talk about him be buried in the GDT, I figured this would be a good avenue and avoid off-topic pissing contests.
He chased the puck around his whole end all game.

That's a Monster game?

Old
03-03-2013, 04:54 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
The fact that some people think one mistake erases all of the good things players do in a game clearly demonstrates they are not capable of actually looking at the overall performance.

If we lose a 4 OT game where Howard lets in a soft goal after making 80 saves, he still had a great game.
LOL

Fans on Hockey Board criticize player.
Heaton criticizes fans

Look, if you have a point, make it.
If you disagree with the points, awesome.

But stop with all your indirect attacks on people who you disagree with.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:58 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I thought both Kindl and Lashoff played well today--except for a couple shifts when they got the run around. But at least one of those was a Line 1 vs Line 4 deal.

I think Smith and Kindl run the PP better than our first union point shots. Smith, though, still seems really indecisive and prone to mistakes with the puck.

Kronwall had a couple glaring errors today. Quincey, defensively, has been much improved, but the guy's outlet passes are very disappointing.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
He's our best D-man. Ideally I would love to acquire a true #1 to pair with him. But moving forward I'm very pleased with the progress being made by Kindl, Smith and Quincey. I'd love to see this the rest of the year.

Kronwal-Big E
Smith-Kindl
Lashoff-Quincey

Need to trade one of CC or White.
I'm still not impressed with Quincey at all. On the Hawks goal he winds up for a slapper rather than quickly getting the puck out of the most dangerous part of the ice. I am also still skeptical on Kindl but we'll see if he shows improvement this season. I think they are shopping him, particularly now that Smith is showing some solid improvement on the power play.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:11 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I'm still not impressed with Quincey at all. On the Hawks goal he winds up for a slapper rather than quickly getting the puck out of the most dangerous part of the ice. I am also still skeptical on Kindl but we'll see if he shows improvement this season. I think they are shopping him, particularly now that Smith is showing some solid improvement on the power play.
If they were shopping Kindl (and i think they may be), then I hope there were scouts here today. Despite a couple mistakes, Kindl looked really good today.
Looked good on the powerplay. Was the most physical Red Wing on the ice

He still gets caught out of position too much..and I think he gives the shooter too much to look at on defense, but this will get better with play.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
He chased the puck around his whole end all game.

That's a Monster game?
He kept a high octane offense to perimeter shots that Howard could handle and rebounds were kept to a minimum. Howard was fantastic, but he also had a chance to look fantastic. That was Ericsson's contribution when he was on the ice.

Clearly we see different things out there. And look, lots of people here thought he was awesome too. Mob mentality or maybe we have a point?

Old
03-03-2013, 05:20 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
He kept a high octane offense to perimeter shots that Howard could handle and rebounds were kept to a minimum. Howard was fantastic, but he also had a chance to look fantastic. That was Ericsson's contribution when he was on the ice.

Clearly we see different things out there. And look, lots of people here thought he was awesome too. Mob mentality or maybe we have a point?
I don't see how getting chased around your own end all game is "monster"

I thought all the wings defensemen (and players in general) did a good job making sure that the Hawks didn't get awesome second chances.
But while that is admirable, it's also true that they spent a lot of the game chasing Hawks around, coughing up pucks, etc.

I think Ericsson looked much better against SJ than Chicago.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:25 PM
RedWinger10

I was VERRY MAD about his delay of game today that transpired in the tying goal, blowing the chance at breaking Chicago's streak, and ultimately a shootout loss. But the bottom line is every player makes mistakes. He is developing into a great D man and has been playing tight D lately. He had a rough start but that's to be expected with such a long offseason. And his injury didn't help either. I have high hopes for him and hope he can keep playing solid and redeem his OOPSY he had today, hopefully have less costly ones in the future.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Because it's out of Ericsson's control to keep sustained pressure in the Hawk's zone. There's 4 other guys out there, and while most of the team played decent in their own zone, Ericsson stood out as particularly difficult for the Hawks to penetrate.

Remember how you wanted a Hall Gill type guy to block shots, make hits, and log huge PK minutes? That's Big E right now. He's playing at a high level defensively logging big minutes and keeping scores low.

If you also want him to control the play, well, look he's not Hockey Jesus.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
ZDH

Meh.

Where's the Tatar Appreciation Thread?

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Meh.

Where's the Tatar Appreciation Thread?
You have the power.

I like Tatar, too. He looks mighty shifty. He'll get more time, I'm sure of it.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:

I thought all the wings defensemen (and players in general) did a good job making sure that the Hawks didn't get awesome second chances.
But while that is admirable, it's also true that they spent a lot of the game chasing Hawks around, coughing up pucks, etc.

I think Ericsson looked much better against SJ than Chicago.
The Hawks are also one of the best offensive teams in the league, so it's pretty easy to get lured into chasing the puck against them. Fact is they limited chances pretty well and let them score 1 goal in 4 periods of hockey. I'd say they played pretty well, with some help from Howard.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

I'm thinking about writing Ericsson or someone in the Wings organization so they can buy me a Big E jersey. I'll go to a game and wear it. Just so I can be the first one.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Ericsson went from whipping boy to under appreciated.

I used to hate him now he's probably our best Defenseman.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post

He's basically replaced Stuart defensive side - yet we still need another top 4 guy.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
He's basically replaced Stuart defensive side - yet we still need another top 4 guy.
I think Big E could be slightly better offensively and move involved with the play. We gotta hope Smith or Kindl can develop into top 4 guys.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
For every good whole game that Ericsson plays, there's one titanic blunder he makes that screws us over.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Yup, I like that E has FINALLY developed into a competent defensive guy. So he replaces Stuart, but there's still that gaping hole in the lineup left by Lidstrom leaving... and try as he might, Q falls JUST short of filling those shoes. We're talking mere inches short, of course, but short all the same...

Quote:

2 seasons ago, I would not have thought I'd ever want E to be fixture on the team. And as long as they improve the cast around him, I think he's a foundation guy now. Kinda crazy.

Quote:
You have the power.

I like Tatar, too. He looks mighty shifty. He'll get more time, I'm sure of it.
Go ahead and book him for 8 solid minutes next game, Bench!! Well, probably less if he scores early in the game, so there's that.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
This entire thread is dedicated to chest pumping about mediocrity
Wait... aren't you a guy who wants to bring in Komisarek, who is the very definition of mediocrity?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:06 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:

I'll still whip him until he figures out how to bank one off the glass when he's got a 1 goal lead with 2 minutes left in a game against the best team in the league and has literally all freaking day to decide what to do with the puck.

As good as he was the rest of the game, his mistake was inexcusable. At least Kronwall had someone pressuring him. Ericsson had an entire zip code to himself and managed to do the one single thing that he absolutely could not afford to do.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:09 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Wait... aren't you a guy who wants to bring in Komisarek, who is the very definition of mediocrity?

Whoever isn't in the lineup is awesome, until they get here, at which point they turn to total crap.

You know how this works...

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:09 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

How can anyone think Ericsson is underappreciated?
He plays big minutes. People here says he's a top pairing defenseman. They say he had a monster game on a day when all the defense did was chase Chicago around the Detroit. He had a brutal penalty that allowed Chicago to tie the game.