HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smid to BUF (Deadline)

Old
03-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Herman72
Season's Warnings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
Understood. Has there been rumors of them working on a new deal or has he just expressed interest in staying? Would a young and upcoming Top 4 D like McNabb or the local guy, Mark Pysyk interest the Oilers?
Pysyk might, but the Oilers already need a lot of help on the blueline. Trading one of the three proven NHL D we have for a future piece, despite his projected upside, is a bit like one step forward two steps back.

Don't think Smid is traded/fails to resign, but if they do move him, its for immediate help in another area of need (Center).

Herman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:57 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Understood. Has there been rumors of them working on a new deal or has he just expressed interest in staying? Would a young and upcoming Top 4 D like McNabb or the local guy, Mark Pysyk interest the Oilers?
IMO, the Oilers organization like a few of the potential top 4-5 guys we have in Marincin, Klefbom, Musil,etc.

We really need more proven defensemen in the NHL, i.e 25+ years old that are bonafide top 4 guys.

As far as Smid signing, before the lockout ended his agent said on a local talk show here he thought the negotiations would be pretty quick and that they weren't worried about starting during the season.

He has lived here a long time, his girlfriend (now wife I believe) is from Edmonton, and he seems to be a great teammate, so seems to be a long-term fit.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Because Smid is young enough and good enough to be a key piece of the puzzle going forward. I see him as the perfect partner for Myers for years to come: A great defensive d-man with brains and legs.

An aggressive, proactive GM would identify a guy like Smid and go all out to acquire/ sign him before he hits UFA. Of course, I have very little faith that a guy like Regier would have the testicular fortitude to go through with such a move
Smid likes Edmonton, and he just married a Edmonton girl, so I don't think there is much of a chance him resigning somewhere else. Edmonton's owner has the money, and is not afraid to spend it, so money will not be the problem.

Right now if you wanted Smid it would cost a arm, a leg, and then some. He's the type of D teams love to have and if he came on the market it would be one heck of a bidding war. I don't think Buffalo has what it takes to out bid the other teams and get him.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
93calder2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman72 View Post
Pysyk might, but the Oilers already need a lot of help on the blueline. Trading one of the three proven NHL D we have for a future piece, despite his projected upside, is a bit like one step forward two steps back.

Don't think Smid is traded/fails to resign, but if they do move him, its for immediate help in another area of need (Center).
Oilers do need to upgrade the D, in order to be a top contender. But the D is not the problem right now, they are competitive. The problem is lack of scoring and no fire in the bellies of our top 6. We have been losing battles in the corners and have trouble maintaining puck possession in deep.

93calder2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Smid signed Hartikainen Oilers 1st for Grigorenko Pysyk

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:36 PM
"Craigs on it"

Grigorenko is as valuable to BUF as Yakupov is to EDM moving forward into the future, it would take alot to pry him out of Buffalo.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Grigorenko is as valuable to BUF as Yakupov is to EDM moving forward into the future, it would take alot to pry him out of Buffalo.
And in 3 years he will be considered way better than Galchenyuk book it.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Djp

Why would Buffalo trade for someone they can just sign as a UFA and they arent in a playoff push mode???

This being a pure rental it would be something rather small...like Adam + 4th.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:05 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Smid signed Hartikainen Oilers 1st for Grigorenko Pysyk
Awful for the Oilers wouldn't give up a top ten possibly top 5 pick for grigorenko. He's far too risky there's a reason so many teams passed on him on draft day.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
Awful for the Oilers wouldn't give up a top ten possibly top 5 pick for grigorenko. He's far too risky there's a reason so many teams passed on him on draft day.
well you team had him in the top 5 forsure, possibly even higher..

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:13 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
well you team had him in the top 5 forsure, possibly even higher..
What I heard the Oilers were playing games to see if they could make a deal to trade down. Personally I'm glad the Oilers never drafted Grigorenko, not sold on him.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
Would rather have the big 18 year old center thats a year into development .Grigorenko has huge upside And will end up best center taken fom last years draft. Don't care if he has been deemed dissapointing so far.,

Old
03-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Why would Buffalo trade for someone they can just sign as a UFA and they arent in a playoff push mode???

This being a pure rental it would be something rather small...like Adam + 4th.

There's nothing saying he'll make it to UFA either. Edmonton has no incentive to trade him as he's a key piece of our defense.

Edmonton would not do Adam + 4th anymore than you would do Meyers, or Pysyk + Buff 1st + Ott 1st. It would take an overpayment to land Smid from a team that needs more vet NHL D as we can't lose him for scraps.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Would rather have the big 18 year old center thats a year into development .Grigorenko has huge upside And will end up best center taken fom last years draft. Don't care if he has been deemed dissapointing so far.,
And that's your opinion which is fine. I just know the scouting profile on him was that he has serious questions regarding his work ethic and consistency from game to game. You can have all the talent in the world but without serious work and drive you're a high risk of flaming out entirely.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Paralyzer008

Oil aren't moving Smid and he's probably re-signing. EDM will probably even overpay if he shows a hint of wanting to leave.

Buffalo would have to deal us Ennis (not happening) or Myers (not happening). We could use Steve Ott but he's a 2014 UFA so Buffalo would have to add.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:54 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Would have to involve Grigorenko probably I would think, as that would free up the Oilers to trade Gagner for a d-man, but the Oilers really aren't in a position to be giving away any effective D without some kind of plan to get one or more back.
The Sabres aren't really in a position to be giving away incredibly talented young centers. So, no.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:55 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Oil aren't moving Smid and he's probably re-signing. EDM will probably even overpay if he shows a hint of wanting to leave.

Buffalo would have to deal us Ennis (not happening) or Myers (not happening). We could use Steve Ott but he's a 2014 UFA so Buffalo would have to add.
Wait, why does Ott being a UFA a full year after Smid mean we add? I guess we could toss in Grigorenko, but he'll be UFA in like 2020, so we should probably add some more right?

This thread seems pointless. Oiler fans aren't interested in any assets Buffalo has that are actually expendable. May as well just hope Smid makes it to free agency and offer him a nice contract then.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Wait, why does Ott being a UFA a full year after Smid mean we add? I guess we could toss in Grigorenko, but he'll be UFA in like 2020, so we should probably add some more right?
Because the Oil are probably re-signing Smid, I'm talking value in terms of a signed Smid, so calm down.

The chances of him making it to free agency aren't likely, and even if we haven't signed him by April 3, I don't see us just giving up on deadline day and dealing him.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Herman72
Season's Warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
The Sabres aren't really in a position to be giving away incredibly talented young centers. So, no.
And the Oilers aren't really in a position to be giving away legitimate top 4 defensemen...

Herman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:52 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman72 View Post
And the Oilers aren't really in a position to be giving away legitimate top 4 defensemen...
so it's dead.... there you go. neeeexxxxxxxtttt

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Luceni

As much as I like smid, oilers don't wanna deal him unless we send them our former calder trophy winner or one ouf our next potential top 6 center.

I don't think that this is fair value for a player who isn't THAT great and who will be UFA this offaeason.

So big pass from buffalo. Oilers overvalueing and overrating an good defensive defenseman who is above average offensively. Besides he will be UFA.

So there is no chance for a deal I guess. Oilers dob't wanna deal him and sabres aren't stupid enough for a ridilous overpayment the oilers fans a calling for.

/thread

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
As much as I like smid, oilers don't wanna deal him unless we send them our former calder trophy winner or one ouf our next potential top 6 center.

I don't think that this is fair value for a player who isn't THAT great and who will be UFA this offaeason.

So big pass from buffalo. Oilers overvalueing and overrating an good defensive defenseman who is above average offensively. Besides he will be UFA.

So there is no chance for a deal I guess. Oilers dob't wanna deal him and sabres aren't stupid enough for a ridilous overpayment the oilers fans a calling for.

/thread
It's due to the fact we're not deep enough in established veteran D to move one of our most consistent D without getting an upgrade in a critical areas for us in return. I.E potential number 1 D or a 2nd line C with size. Without 1 of those coming back there is no benefit to Edmonton trading Smid.

You obviously haven't watched Smid play and are going off stats if you think we're overvaluing him and undervaluing your prospects. He's a legit shutdown guy in the style of Regher but with better positioning and less mean streak. Even Calgary fans have said IF he makes it to UFA they want their GM to take a run at him. Last year he played on our top line and was +4 on 2nd worst team in the league, year before was -10 on a club that had only 64 points total. He's a lot better than you make him out to be.

There's nothing saying he will be UFA either at seasons end. His agent publicly said he doesn't expect negotiations to take long and be simple. The popular opinion is the organization let Smid focus on his training for the shortened season and his wedding rather than throw contract talks into his already busy schedule.

Buffalo fans are also out to lunch with his value...Adam +4th? Why would Edmonton do that? We need Smid more.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote