HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 01:30 AM
  #576
TheMadHatTrick
Registered User
 
TheMadHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
Great hands, great wheels, but needs to get heavier, good pick for 20-25 range

I didn't get to see too many team Sweden games over Christmas (I liked my sleep too much), but Wennberg looks great in those highlights.

I like his skating first of all, and the second thing that stands out is his vision. There were at least 3 or 4 times in the clip when he would find a guy or make a pass and I'd be like, how the heck did he see him? He looks like he'd be a solid all-around center. Unfortunately if the standings stay the way they are, he's probably either going to Detroit or Ottawa (the unofficial American and Canadian Swedish consulates for hockey.)

TheMadHatTrick is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:07 AM
  #577
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I know people like Fucale, I know i do. However the goalie Tristan Jerry from WHL really is something IMO, always impressed by him.
Goalies are so much of a shhtshow that I'd rather spend a 2nd/3rd/4th on Jarry/Martin/Comrie than a 1st on Fucale. Just not enough separating them to warrant a 1st IMO.

7even is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:41 AM
  #578
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,116
vCash: 500
I think it's absolutely worth it, to use a 3rd rounder this year on a goalie.

Why not?
Sparks was a really late pick, and there's no reason to put a premium on the position this time around. I wouldn't mind us using a 2nd, if Fucale somehow fell.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:41 AM
  #579
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I think it's absolutely worth it, to use a 3rd rounder this year on a goalie.

Why not?
Sparks was a really late pick, and there's no reason to put a premium on the position this time around. I wouldn't mind us using a 2nd, if Fucale somehow fell.
I wouldnt be the least bit suprised to see the leafs aquire another 2nd in the draft this year, with the depth we have on D and possibly forward. I too, hope if the Leafs have another 2nd pick up a goalie in the draft as well.

New Liskeard is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:44 AM
  #580
Terrence
Registered Slacker
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,006
vCash: 500
Fucale will not fall out of the 1st round and Comrie, Martin, and Jarry won't fall out of the 2nd, IMO. If we're looking at goalie prospects in the 3rd and 4th round, it'll be guys like Desrosiers, Eamon McAdam, Juuse Saros, Cal Petersen, and Marcus Hogberg.

Anyways, I came here to rave about the dmen in this draft. I know everyone talks about how the 2012 draft was loaded with dmen and this one is loaded with forwards. But I really like a lot of dmen in this draft. Jones, Ristolainen, Pulock, Nurse, Morrissey, Zadorov, and Hagg are all really solid players and all should go top 20, IMO. If the Leafs draft outside the top 20, and the second tier of centres like Lazar, Gauthier, and Wennberg are off the board while one of the guys above are still available, they should really be tempted to take him. A surplus in high end D prospects is not at a bad thing.

And even in the late 1st/early 2nd there's a second tier of solid D prospects like Steve Santini, Madison Bowey, Chris Bigras, Shea Theodore, Ian McCoshen, Keaton Thompson, and Mirco Mueller. I would be very pleased if the Leafs took one of these guys with their 2nd as well.

__________________
Terrence is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:08 PM
  #581
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,546
vCash: 500
My not so bold prediction for this year's trade deadline...teams are not going to be trading away this year's 1sts and 2nds. If we trade players like Liles for picks expect those picks to be in next years draft.

Sundinisagod is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:18 PM
  #582
Guy Boucher
Registered User
 
Guy Boucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
And even in the late 1st/early 2nd there's a second tier of solid D prospects like Steve Santini, Madison Bowey, Chris Bigras, Shea Theodore, Ian McCoshen, Keaton Thompson, and Mirco Mueller. I would be very pleased if the Leafs took one of these guys with their 2nd as well.
I think Bowey and Mueller are good bets to go late 1st round.

Guy Boucher is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
  #583
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Yes, like Kadri and Rielly. I have been extremely intrigued by Wennberg for a while now, and I think he would be the best case scenario where we are slated to pick. I'm also very high on Lazar.

Valentin Zykov should be turning more heads IMO. I like him better than Erne.
I'm not sure how Zykov has flown under the radar so much. He's been fantastic. Has decent height, to go with a stocky body and pulling out a near 40 goal rookie season is impressive. Definitely worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
They did trade with Anaheim, but they had Columbus' second rounder which got them Eriksson ... Dallas had 28th overall, traded to the Ducks who took Corey Perry

Dallas took Vojtak Polak and BJ Crombeen with the Ducks second rounders

I wonder who won that trade
There were a few bad trades that year.

Edmonton traded back with the Devils, from 17 to 22 and 68. Devils grabbed Parise, Oilers got MA Pouliot and JF JAcques lol.

Flames moved their 2nd rounder to San Jose for a 3rd and two 5ths, got nothing and the Sharks grabbed Carle.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:38 PM
  #584
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Fucale will not fall out of the 1st round and Comrie, Martin, and Jarry won't fall out of the 2nd, IMO. If we're looking at goalie prospects in the 3rd and 4th round, it'll be guys like Desrosiers, Eamon McAdam, Juuse Saros, Cal Petersen, and Marcus Hogberg.

Anyways, I came here to rave about the dmen in this draft. I know everyone talks about how the 2012 draft was loaded with dmen and this one is loaded with forwards. But I really like a lot of dmen in this draft. Jones, Ristolainen, Pulock, Nurse, Morrissey, Zadorov, and Hagg are all really solid players and all should go top 20, IMO. If the Leafs draft outside the top 20, and the second tier of centres like Lazar, Gauthier, and Wennberg are off the board while one of the guys above are still available, they should really be tempted to take him. A surplus in high end D prospects is not at a bad thing.

And even in the late 1st/early 2nd there's a second tier of solid D prospects like Steve Santini, Madison Bowey, Chris Bigras, Shea Theodore, Ian McCoshen, Keaton Thompson, and Mirco Mueller. I would be very pleased if the Leafs took one of these guys with their 2nd as well.
I agree completely. I think the defenseman in this draft could be very strong. The top end forwards in this draft are something special, but I think after those first few special forwards, there is a lot of strong dman to go with some strong forwards. After Barkov/MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin/Lindholm/Monahan/Nichuskin, I think from 8-40, there is about two levels of players that are pretty close together.

I'm a huge Mirco Mueller fan. The guy is going to be a stud.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 01:47 PM
  #585
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
My not so bold prediction for this year's trade deadline...teams are not going to be trading away this year's 1sts and 2nds. If we trade players like Liles for picks expect those picks to be in next years draft.
I'm not so sure I agree. I mean in one sense, yeah 1st's aren't going to be tossed around like they aren't worth much. I don't think you're going to see second tier guys go for first rounders but that time has been gone for a long time.

If guys like Perry/Iggy/Kipper are available, then you will certainly see first rounders being traded. I see no reason why a team like Chicago/Boston/Pittsburgh wouldn't be willing to use their firsts to get that guy to help push them to a win.

As for 2nd rounders, I think they will be traded quite easily. We've already seen 7 of them moved and I see no reason why more couldn't be used. Especially in a draft like this one. They will be more valuable and to teams out of the playoff picture, they will be a valuable commodity to grab.

Guys say this every year. I think the only thing causing first rounders/second rounders to not be traded is the market and the players available. Look at the PRedators last year. If the market is thin, then yeah I might agree with you. But I don't expect that to be the case.

I expect first rounders and 2nd rounders to be moderately moved.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:51 PM
  #586
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,116
vCash: 500
Just to have a little fun, and because I'm bored on a sunday, I figured I'd put together a little mock draft. Obviously, it's early, but I figure it may inspire a little more draft conversation.

Going with where I think we'll finish:

18. Frederik Gauthier, C, Rimouski Oceanic - A big, skilled, two-way center, who is probably the second best two-way forward in the draft, Finally gives the Leafs a guy who can play in all zones, with size, scoring ability, and the kind of defensive prowess you need from a top-6 pivot. Standing 6'5, 220lbs, as a 17 year old, Gauthier has TREMENDOUS upside. His scoring and playmaking abilities continue to develop at a rapid pace, and his defensive game is already solid at 17. Concerns are currently about his skating, but as with all big men, this is to be expected. Having one of the best in the business in Barbara Underhill on staff, This shouldn't worry folks all too much. With Frederik's size, skill, and smarts, He's almost assuredly going to have a career in the NHL

Potential: #1 Center - #3 Center

What the Experts say:
Craig Button: "In my eyes, Elias Lindholm [of Brynas in Sweden] and Frederik Gauthier [of Rimouski in the QMJHL] are in the same breath," he said. "They are arguably the top two-way forwards available."

Chris Bordeleau (Head Quebec scout for Central Scouting): "He's unbelievable for a young guy like that," Bordeleau said. "He can play defense. He's a big kid like that, the first player back, gets the puck, turns the play around and goes the other way. Hockey sense, he can shoot the puck, read the ice. He's a natural talent also."

"That game, he came back in his own end five times," Bordeleau said. "He was the first guy back and turned the play around. I've never seen that in 20 years. … He's got everything. A kid that can play defense like that at his age, that kind of maturity, it's not often found. I was really impressed."

Prospect Profile (with a vid or two)
http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/...spect-profile/

Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIvlhucOESI

48. Tristan Jarry, G, Edmonton Oil Kings - The Leafs look to the west, in their search for a young, potential number 1 goaltender. Tristan Jarry has played behind Laurent Broissoit, and split time with him this season. Jarry has good size at 6'2, 180lbs, and is a hybrid style goalie. In 25 games this year, he's registered 16 wins, with a GAA of 1.66, and a .933 save percentage. He's been extremely good in shootouts, and looks the part of a potential number 1, if he continues to work on his flexibility and agility.

**There really isn't much of any video of him to add here

78. Marc-Olivier Roy, RW, Blainville - The Leafs go to the well once again, to the QMJHL, to add a high-potential winger to the fold. With eyes on developing a scoring winger for the top-6, the Leafs take Roy, who possesses great speed, and solid offensive instincts. He's a good development pick, seeing his production double from his rookie season in the Q, and growing into an important option for the Armada's attack. Roy is also a guy who isn't afraid to drop the gloves, and play a physical game.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOakBSIquI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFbP-Z3Zpw


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVl0AsNajz0

108. Will Butcher, D, USNDTP - The Leafs add another smooth skating, two-way defender to their arsenal. You can't put a price on having defenders in your pipeline like the Leafs do, and they continue to add to it with Butcher. Butcher will bring his PMD status to the University of Denver next season, and this gives the Leafs a potential steal in the draft, allowing him to add strength and muscle to his small-ish frame. Butcher really caught my eye at the World U-17 Challenge last year, being the highest scoring defenseman in the tournament, and controlling the US powerplay extremely well.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51eDIRBEF98 (he's the second on the list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZMQy0-SJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AqdyzqcQvY

138. Sergei Tolchinsky, RW, Sault St. Marie - This dimunitive forward caused quite a stir at the World U-17 Challenge in Windsor last season. If not for his size, his hands and scoring ability may see him in the first two rounds, but at this point in the draft, the Leafs can afford to gamble on the little guy. He's a weapon with his lightning quick release on the power play, and will need to add significant core strength, but this is one mighty mouse with high-end scoring potential

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbVlVfVIOsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pl_dqdxhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbpkPSwPqI

I'm going to stop there.... The last two picks should be used for high upside projects.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:06 PM
  #587
TheMadHatTrick
Registered User
 
TheMadHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Just to have a little fun, and because I'm bored on a sunday, I figured I'd put together a little mock draft. Obviously, it's early, but I figure it may inspire a little more draft conversation.

Going with where I think we'll finish:

18. Frederik Gauthier, C, Rimouski Oceanic - A big, skilled, two-way center, who is probably the second best two-way forward in the draft, Finally gives the Leafs a guy who can play in all zones, with size, scoring ability, and the kind of defensive prowess you need from a top-6 pivot. Standing 6'5, 220lbs, as a 17 year old, Gauthier has TREMENDOUS upside. His scoring and playmaking abilities continue to develop at a rapid pace, and his defensive game is already solid at 17. Concerns are currently about his skating, but as with all big men, this is to be expected. Having one of the best in the business in Barbara Underhill on staff, This shouldn't worry folks all too much. With Frederik's size, skill, and smarts, He's almost assuredly going to have a career in the NHL

Potential: #1 Center - #3 Center

What the Experts say:
Craig Button: "In my eyes, Elias Lindholm [of Brynas in Sweden] and Frederik Gauthier [of Rimouski in the QMJHL] are in the same breath," he said. "They are arguably the top two-way forwards available."

Chris Bordeleau (Head Quebec scout for Central Scouting): "He's unbelievable for a young guy like that," Bordeleau said. "He can play defense. He's a big kid like that, the first player back, gets the puck, turns the play around and goes the other way. Hockey sense, he can shoot the puck, read the ice. He's a natural talent also."

"That game, he came back in his own end five times," Bordeleau said. "He was the first guy back and turned the play around. I've never seen that in 20 years. … He's got everything. A kid that can play defense like that at his age, that kind of maturity, it's not often found. I was really impressed."

Prospect Profile (with a vid or two)
http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/...spect-profile/

Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIvlhucOESI

48. Tristan Jarry, G, Edmonton Oil Kings - The Leafs look to the west, in their search for a young, potential number 1 goaltender. Tristan Jarry has played behind Laurent Broissoit, and split time with him this season. Jarry has good size at 6'2, 180lbs, and is a hybrid style goalie. In 25 games this year, he's registered 16 wins, with a GAA of 1.66, and a .933 save percentage. He's been extremely good in shootouts, and looks the part of a potential number 1, if he continues to work on his flexibility and agility.

**There really isn't much of any video of him to add here

78. Marc-Olivier Roy, RW, Blainville - The Leafs go to the well once again, to the QMJHL, to add a high-potential winger to the fold. With eyes on developing a scoring winger for the top-6, the Leafs take Roy, who possesses great speed, and solid offensive instincts. He's a good development pick, seeing his production double from his rookie season in the Q, and growing into an important option for the Armada's attack. Roy is also a guy who isn't afraid to drop the gloves, and play a physical game.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOakBSIquI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFbP-Z3Zpw


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVl0AsNajz0

108. Will Butcher, D, USNDTP - The Leafs add another smooth skating, two-way defender to their arsenal. You can't put a price on having defenders in your pipeline like the Leafs do, and they continue to add to it with Butcher. Butcher will bring his PMD status to the University of Denver next season, and this gives the Leafs a potential steal in the draft, allowing him to add strength and muscle to his small-ish frame. Butcher really caught my eye at the World U-17 Challenge last year, being the highest scoring defenseman in the tournament, and controlling the US powerplay extremely well.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51eDIRBEF98 (he's the second on the list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZMQy0-SJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AqdyzqcQvY

138. Sergei Tolchinsky, RW, Sault St. Marie - This dimunitive forward caused quite a stir at the World U-17 Challenge in Windsor last season. If not for his size, his hands and scoring ability may see him in the first two rounds, but at this point in the draft, the Leafs can afford to gamble on the little guy. He's a weapon with his lightning quick release on the power play, and will need to add significant core strength, but this is one mighty mouse with high-end scoring potential

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbVlVfVIOsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pl_dqdxhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbpkPSwPqI

I'm going to stop there.... The last two picks should be used for high upside projects.
I'd be ecstatic with Gauthier and Jarry first and second. A big center prospect and a very good young goalie to develop. I have a strong feeling Jarry will be the best goalie to come out of this draft.

TheMadHatTrick is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:11 PM
  #588
TheMadHatTrick
Registered User
 
TheMadHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Found some really good Bo Horvat highlights. I wouldn't mind taking him if we're in the 24-25 range. Kid reminds me so much of Ryan O'Reilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6h6...VBDGYQ&index=3

TheMadHatTrick is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:16 PM
  #589
bigdirty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Goalies are so much of a shhtshow that I'd rather spend a 2nd/3rd/4th on Jarry/Martin/Comrie than a 1st on Fucale. Just not enough separating them to warrant a 1st IMO.
49 saves last night for Fucale, plus stopped everyone in the shootout for the win. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, it's just that I've been watching Fucale for two years now, and I just don't like this idea that because goalies are hard to predict they're not worth drafting early.
I still remember when the Montreal board freaked out because they drafted Carey Price instead of Gilbert Brule. It was very funny. But of course they made a good choice, and they did it because they believed Price would be a franchise goalie and they couldn't pass him up. I really do believe that Fucale is on that same level.
Obviously none of us know how the Leafs scouts feel about him, but if they really believe he's going to be a franchise goalie, they damn well better pick him. If they don't like him, I'll defer to their judgement, though he just keeps proving over and over how good he really is.

bigdirty is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:18 PM
  #590
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Just to have a little fun, and because I'm bored on a sunday, I figured I'd put together a little mock draft. Obviously, it's early, but I figure it may inspire a little more draft conversation.

Going with where I think we'll finish:

18. Frederik Gauthier, C, Rimouski Oceanic - A big, skilled, two-way center, who is probably the second best two-way forward in the draft, Finally gives the Leafs a guy who can play in all zones, with size, scoring ability, and the kind of defensive prowess you need from a top-6 pivot. Standing 6'5, 220lbs, as a 17 year old, Gauthier has TREMENDOUS upside. His scoring and playmaking abilities continue to develop at a rapid pace, and his defensive game is already solid at 17. Concerns are currently about his skating, but as with all big men, this is to be expected. Having one of the best in the business in Barbara Underhill on staff, This shouldn't worry folks all too much. With Frederik's size, skill, and smarts, He's almost assuredly going to have a career in the NHL

Potential: #1 Center - #3 Center

What the Experts say:
Craig Button: "In my eyes, Elias Lindholm [of Brynas in Sweden] and Frederik Gauthier [of Rimouski in the QMJHL] are in the same breath," he said. "They are arguably the top two-way forwards available."

Chris Bordeleau (Head Quebec scout for Central Scouting): "He's unbelievable for a young guy like that," Bordeleau said. "He can play defense. He's a big kid like that, the first player back, gets the puck, turns the play around and goes the other way. Hockey sense, he can shoot the puck, read the ice. He's a natural talent also."

"That game, he came back in his own end five times," Bordeleau said. "He was the first guy back and turned the play around. I've never seen that in 20 years. … He's got everything. A kid that can play defense like that at his age, that kind of maturity, it's not often found. I was really impressed."

Prospect Profile (with a vid or two)
http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/...spect-profile/

Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIvlhucOESI

48. Tristan Jarry, G, Edmonton Oil Kings - The Leafs look to the west, in their search for a young, potential number 1 goaltender. Tristan Jarry has played behind Laurent Broissoit, and split time with him this season. Jarry has good size at 6'2, 180lbs, and is a hybrid style goalie. In 25 games this year, he's registered 16 wins, with a GAA of 1.66, and a .933 save percentage. He's been extremely good in shootouts, and looks the part of a potential number 1, if he continues to work on his flexibility and agility.

**There really isn't much of any video of him to add here

78. Marc-Olivier Roy, RW, Blainville - The Leafs go to the well once again, to the QMJHL, to add a high-potential winger to the fold. With eyes on developing a scoring winger for the top-6, the Leafs take Roy, who possesses great speed, and solid offensive instincts. He's a good development pick, seeing his production double from his rookie season in the Q, and growing into an important option for the Armada's attack. Roy is also a guy who isn't afraid to drop the gloves, and play a physical game.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOakBSIquI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFbP-Z3Zpw


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVl0AsNajz0

108. Will Butcher, D, USNDTP - The Leafs add another smooth skating, two-way defender to their arsenal. You can't put a price on having defenders in your pipeline like the Leafs do, and they continue to add to it with Butcher. Butcher will bring his PMD status to the University of Denver next season, and this gives the Leafs a potential steal in the draft, allowing him to add strength and muscle to his small-ish frame. Butcher really caught my eye at the World U-17 Challenge last year, being the highest scoring defenseman in the tournament, and controlling the US powerplay extremely well.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51eDIRBEF98 (he's the second on the list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZMQy0-SJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AqdyzqcQvY

138. Sergei Tolchinsky, RW, Sault St. Marie - This dimunitive forward caused quite a stir at the World U-17 Challenge in Windsor last season. If not for his size, his hands and scoring ability may see him in the first two rounds, but at this point in the draft, the Leafs can afford to gamble on the little guy. He's a weapon with his lightning quick release on the power play, and will need to add significant core strength, but this is one mighty mouse with high-end scoring potential

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbVlVfVIOsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pl_dqdxhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbpkPSwPqI

I'm going to stop there.... The last two picks should be used for high upside projects.
I know Tolchinsky's main weakness is size and skating. His skating isn't super strong and its going to hurt him at a higher level. He's got good potential though so a pick this late is hardly a waste on him.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:23 PM
  #591
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 500
At 18, I'd be real tempted to take Mueller as a reach. Maybe its just because I'm a fan of him but I really think he's got some high potential. But it would be hard to pass over a guy like Gauthier/Horvat/Mantha at the same time.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:24 PM
  #592
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I know Tolchinsky's main weakness is size and skating. His skating isn't super strong and its going to hurt him at a higher level. He's got good potential though so a pick this late is hardly a waste on him.
Yeah. I think picking him in the 5th is a great boom/bust pick, and the kind of picks I'd like to see made at this stage of the draft. He's a tenacious little player, and for him to be successful at the next level, core strength will have to be his focus.

He really can be a terror on the PP, though. He's got a great shot, for being so slight, and it's extremely accurate. Great hands, and thinks the game well.

Luckily for us, we have the time to pick him and wait. Having him work with Underhill would do wonders for him.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:32 PM
  #593
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I'm not so sure I agree. I mean in one sense, yeah 1st's aren't going to be tossed around like they aren't worth much. I don't think you're going to see second tier guys go for first rounders but that time has been gone for a long time.

If guys like Perry/Iggy/Kipper are available, then you will certainly see first rounders being traded. I see no reason why a team like Chicago/Boston/Pittsburgh wouldn't be willing to use their firsts to get that guy to help push them to a win.

As for 2nd rounders, I think they will be traded quite easily. We've already seen 7 of them moved and I see no reason why more couldn't be used. Especially in a draft like this one. They will be more valuable and to teams out of the playoff picture, they will be a valuable commodity to grab.

Guys say this every year. I think the only thing causing first rounders/second rounders to not be traded is the market and the players available. Look at the PRedators last year. If the market is thin, then yeah I might agree with you. But I don't expect that to be the case.

I expect first rounders and 2nd rounders to be moderately moved.

Remember the year we got 1sts and then some, for Kaberle and Versteeg I think it was? You won't see 1sts tossed around like that imho.

Sundinisagod is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:36 PM
  #594
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Yeah. I think picking him in the 5th is a great boom/bust pick, and the kind of picks I'd like to see made at this stage of the draft. He's a tenacious little player, and for him to be successful at the next level, core strength will have to be his focus.

He really can be a terror on the PP, though. He's got a great shot, for being so slight, and it's extremely accurate. Great hands, and thinks the game well.

Luckily for us, we have the time to pick him and wait. Having him work with Underhill would do wonders for him.
Yeah exactly. A 5th round pick is hardly a loss, and the Leafs scouting team has shown a willingness to draft smaller guys late in recent drafts. His tenacity is definitely a huge plus and something that could really push him farther along with his talent.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
  #595
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Yeah exactly. A 5th round pick is hardly a loss, and the Leafs scouting team has shown a willingness to draft smaller guys late in recent drafts. His tenacity is definitely a huge plus and something that could really push him farther along with his talent.
He's a natural goal scorer, which is what I like about him. He's a guy that isn't going to get anything easy, as his size will force him to work harder than most, to improve the parts of his game that are holding him back.

His tenacity and determination are great qualities.

That would be a draft that I would consider a HUGE win for the organization.
I REALLY like Chris Bigras, but made up for passing on him by selecting Will Butcher in the 4th round. I honestly believe whoever gets Butcher is going to be a very, very lucky team. I think he's got top-4 potential, and he fits the mold as a smooth skating, high IQ D-man, that our organization covets.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
  #596
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Remember the year we got 1sts and then some, for Kaberle and Versteeg I think it was? You won't see 1sts tossed around like that imho.
Eh I hear what your saying but I think your examples aren't great. We won't see first rounders go for rentals outside of the very best. IE the guys like Perry/Iginla. The best of the best rentals. Or in very specific instances like:

1) the Kaberle/Gaustad trades, where a team is looking for a specific player and is willing to pay for a certain reason (last year because Nashville didn't have any other pick to give but their first). This is probably less likely.

2) Extended players like Versteeg, that have higher value.

So not the MacArthur's/Liles.

I just don't think teams look at drafts and say "we're not moving picks because its too strong". Maybe a team does, but nowhere near the level some people think.

So yeah I agree that they won't be thrown around for lower end players, but I do think we'll see a decent amount of first rounders moving.


Last edited by theIceWookie: 03-03-2013 at 04:28 PM.
theIceWookie is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:06 PM
  #597
Brody
$$
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 7,512
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Just to have a little fun, and because I'm bored on a sunday, I figured I'd put together a little mock draft. Obviously, it's early, but I figure it may inspire a little more draft conversation.

Going with where I think we'll finish:

18. Frederik Gauthier, C, Rimouski Oceanic - A big, skilled, two-way center, who is probably the second best two-way forward in the draft, Finally gives the Leafs a guy who can play in all zones, with size, scoring ability, and the kind of defensive prowess you need from a top-6 pivot. Standing 6'5, 220lbs, as a 17 year old, Gauthier has TREMENDOUS upside. His scoring and playmaking abilities continue to develop at a rapid pace, and his defensive game is already solid at 17. Concerns are currently about his skating, but as with all big men, this is to be expected. Having one of the best in the business in Barbara Underhill on staff, This shouldn't worry folks all too much. With Frederik's size, skill, and smarts, He's almost assuredly going to have a career in the NHL

Potential: #1 Center - #3 Center

What the Experts say:
Craig Button: "In my eyes, Elias Lindholm [of Brynas in Sweden] and Frederik Gauthier [of Rimouski in the QMJHL] are in the same breath," he said. "They are arguably the top two-way forwards available."

Chris Bordeleau (Head Quebec scout for Central Scouting): "He's unbelievable for a young guy like that," Bordeleau said. "He can play defense. He's a big kid like that, the first player back, gets the puck, turns the play around and goes the other way. Hockey sense, he can shoot the puck, read the ice. He's a natural talent also."

"That game, he came back in his own end five times," Bordeleau said. "He was the first guy back and turned the play around. I've never seen that in 20 years. … He's got everything. A kid that can play defense like that at his age, that kind of maturity, it's not often found. I was really impressed."

Prospect Profile (with a vid or two)
http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/...spect-profile/

Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIvlhucOESI

48. Tristan Jarry, G, Edmonton Oil Kings - The Leafs look to the west, in their search for a young, potential number 1 goaltender. Tristan Jarry has played behind Laurent Broissoit, and split time with him this season. Jarry has good size at 6'2, 180lbs, and is a hybrid style goalie. In 25 games this year, he's registered 16 wins, with a GAA of 1.66, and a .933 save percentage. He's been extremely good in shootouts, and looks the part of a potential number 1, if he continues to work on his flexibility and agility.

**There really isn't much of any video of him to add here

78. Marc-Olivier Roy, RW, Blainville - The Leafs go to the well once again, to the QMJHL, to add a high-potential winger to the fold. With eyes on developing a scoring winger for the top-6, the Leafs take Roy, who possesses great speed, and solid offensive instincts. He's a good development pick, seeing his production double from his rookie season in the Q, and growing into an important option for the Armada's attack. Roy is also a guy who isn't afraid to drop the gloves, and play a physical game.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOakBSIquI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFbP-Z3Zpw


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVl0AsNajz0

108. Will Butcher, D, USNDTP - The Leafs add another smooth skating, two-way defender to their arsenal. You can't put a price on having defenders in your pipeline like the Leafs do, and they continue to add to it with Butcher. Butcher will bring his PMD status to the University of Denver next season, and this gives the Leafs a potential steal in the draft, allowing him to add strength and muscle to his small-ish frame. Butcher really caught my eye at the World U-17 Challenge last year, being the highest scoring defenseman in the tournament, and controlling the US powerplay extremely well.

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51eDIRBEF98 (he's the second on the list)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZMQy0-SJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AqdyzqcQvY

138. Sergei Tolchinsky, RW, Sault St. Marie - This dimunitive forward caused quite a stir at the World U-17 Challenge in Windsor last season. If not for his size, his hands and scoring ability may see him in the first two rounds, but at this point in the draft, the Leafs can afford to gamble on the little guy. He's a weapon with his lightning quick release on the power play, and will need to add significant core strength, but this is one mighty mouse with high-end scoring potential

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbVlVfVIOsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pl_dqdxhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbpkPSwPqI

I'm going to stop there.... The last two picks should be used for high upside projects.
The bolded are very good picks.

Brody is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:08 PM
  #598
Brody
$$
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 7,512
vCash: 560
What do you guys think about Ryan Hartman and Nicolas Petan?

Brody is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
  #599
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
The bolded are very good picks.
Not a fan of Will Butcher?
Haven't seen much of him?

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
  #600
Brody
$$
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 7,512
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Not a fan of Will Butcher?
Haven't seen much of him?
Yeah, thats the reason why. Haven't really gotten the chance to see him play.

Brody is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.