HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Should Thornton be traded?

View Poll Results: Should Joe Thornton be traded?
Yes 27 20.77%
No 86 66.15%
Not sure 17 13.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-03-2013, 04:12 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
The only guys the sharks have ever had that are indisputably good playoff performers are Pavelski and Marleau about half of the time.

All the other big names are on the fence. Not awful, but definitely not great.
The guy in your avatar is one of the best playoff performers this team has.

MarleauApologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:15 PM
NWShark*

It they aren't going to trade for a scoring winger to make a legit run this year than yes they should trade him now while he has another year left on his contract. Same goes for Marleau and possibly boyle. I keep Boyle over the other 2 if I want a vet to remain as captain and leader. I think Pavs, Stuart and Couture would be a fine for the 3 captains though so I'd be fine selling the others off and clowe too.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Honestly, I would not mind him being traded to a contender because he deserves a chance to win the Cup. Our time has passed.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Honestly, I would not mind him being traded to a contender because he deserves a chance to win the Cup. Our time has passed.
If he gets a chance, that's great for him. I don't believe in anyone deserving a chance. You earn it like everything else. I think he would have to go to a place that would make him a complimentary piece and likely a second line center for him to really have a chance at winning the Cup. The issue may be where he would want to go that really has a chance to win it all that wouldn't have him be the man offensively like he's had to be all his career. The question of how he'll react in big markets will always linger even if a lot of the criticisms against him are unjust.

Maybe we'll see. Maybe we won't. I still feel this team has an open window if the depth is built better and utilized better. If they manufacture a third scoring line that is dependable, they instantly turn into a legitimate contender and I don't think they're really that far off from that. I think they have the talent there but are too enamored with loading the top two lines.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Maybe we'll see. Maybe we won't. I still feel this team has an open window if the depth is built better and utilized better. If they manufacture a third scoring line that is dependable, they instantly turn into a legitimate contender and I don't think they're really that far off from that. I think they have the talent there but are too enamored with loading the top two lines.
This, and if you think about it, if there's one signing that is absolutely hamstringing the team it's Handzus. I like the guy but him on his best day is barely above water for what we want out of our 3rd line to contend.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
This, and if you think about it, if there's one signing that is absolutely hamstringing the team it's Handzus. I like the guy but him on his best day is barely above water for what we want out of our 3rd line to contend.
The strongest critique of Tmac has to be this (and Fatass/Murray).

Last year, it was understandable when he gave both these players ice time: it was reasonble to think that this players would trend back to where they were...and when they didn't, San Jose didn't have any other options (until after the TDL, whn Handzus sat).

Now, he should not only know what he has in these players, but he also has the pieces to easily replace them in the lineup. There are 6 defensemen in this organiation that Murray has no business playing over; arguably, Irwin makes it seven. Handzus might justify fourth-line ice time, but he has no business on the third line...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
WantonAbandon

I think the answer is no. If a significant player gets traded it would be Pavelski. If I was another teams Gm I would look to see if I could package a speedy top six winger and a speedy bottom six center. They would have to play quick too. Depending on contracts a second going to the Sharks may be included.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
murdock1116

The thing about trading guys like Thornton, Boyle and Marleau for picks/prospects is that we have to make sure we make good picks and get good prospects!

There's just no guarantee that we get good value in return. Plus, even if we move all those guys, I still don't think the Sharks are bad enough to get a top 5 pick.

I think DW's biggest failure as a GM thus far has been trading too many picks/prospects for rentals.

We just need to hang on to our 1st's and 2nd's from here on out and we'll be fine.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
It they aren't going to trade for a scoring winger to make a legit run this year than yes they should trade him now while he has another year left on his contract. Same goes for Marleau and possibly boyle...
I agree 100% with this. Either make a move to make us a contender (because we clearly aren't right now) or trade the big guys (read: older guys) while they still have a ton of value. Don't make the same mistakes as Calgary.

crunchyblack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:50 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
I agree 100% with this. Either make a move to make us a contender (because we clearly aren't right now) or trade the big guys (read: older guys) while they still have a ton of value. Don't make the same mistakes as Calgary.
I don't think Calary made a mistake. They played the odds correctly.

Chances are, if they had tanked, they'd have rebuilt into a team that was at best slightly better than it is today...plus they'd have 2-3 years of a wreck on the ice to get there.

Most "tank and rebuilds" do not work. Not only do teams not tank, but there is too much variability at the draft to make rebuilding with high picks a worthwhile strategy.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
The thing about trading guys like Thornton, Boyle and Marleau for picks/prospects is that we have to make sure we make good picks and get good prospects!

There's just no guarantee that we get good value in return. Plus, even if we move all those guys, I still don't think the Sharks are bad enough to get a top 5 pick.

I think DW's biggest failure as a GM thus far has been trading too many picks/prospects for rentals.

We just need to hang on to our 1st's and 2nd's from here on out and we'll be fine.
The other issue is that it's not ever going to be as simple as trading those guys for picks or prospects. Most teams that are contenders that they would be willing to go to, with the exception of Boyle because his clause is specific and more open, is that those teams won't likely have the cap space to take on that kind of contract unless the Sharks took back cap space.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:04 AM
774coach

please trade him back to boston ...... that way i won't feel so goofy about STILL having his bobble head doll on my bureau !

774coach is offline   Reply With Quote