HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
Isn't it more about corporate money making an impact on the budget rather than the bums in the seats?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:54 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I have to ask, what will be the changes to spending? Preds have a 23 game sellout streak. Does this push the team toward 60 million?
definitely not

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I have to ask, what will be the changes to spending? Preds have a 23 game sellout streak. Does this push the team toward 60 million?
Well, unless ownership is lying to us, we should be around that number regardless. I'm still holding them to their "close to a cap team" statement

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
I do not see that as an issue at all. the Cap next year is 64 mil the team will have 9 roster spots open with about 19 mil to the cap. Two of the players nedded to be resigned is Josi and Horni.

Even though ownership has said they would spend to the cap this year they have not. So theres no indication that they will have contracts over 59 or 60 mil next season. Poile always wants to have a little available to make a deadline accusition. He has always budgeted that. Even in the years when they had a self imposed cap. When you consider that Rinne and Weber take up over 23% of the total cap space it is going to be a balanced approach to sign players. Best case Fish and Leggy are moved to free up 8.7 mil. Heck if they bring up Latta and Watson at there current salary its still going to impossible to sign the top 6 guy everyone wants without having 4 other players under the 2 mil mark which talent wise does little to help the overall team outlook.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Vanek, Ribeiro, Fleischmann, somebody, anybody with a decent points per game number. This team lacks creativity and execution, and one of those guys could bring both of those teams and maybe spark everyone around them very quickly.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:57 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I wish we could time lock threads so we can lock trade threads after losses.

Well, let me help this along.

UFA's; Hannan, Yip, Mason

RFA's; Hornqvist, Spaling, Halischuk, Josi, Blum

Dumont and Lebda's buyouts come off the books so that's more cap space.

If, and I repeat IF, the Preds can continue selling out I honestly believe this team can be a 60 million team with a trade budget of 2 million.

Roster wise, the Preds need minimum 8 players with nearly 19 million under the cap.

That being said, this half season is not over. I only see Columbus, Washington, Florida, and the Islanders as the only seller so far.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
I wish we could time lock threads so we can lock trade threads after losses.

Well, let me help this along.

UFA's; Hannan, Yip, Mason

RFA's; Hornqvist, Spaling, Halischuk, Josi, Blum

Dumont and Lebda's buyouts come off the books so that's more cap space.

If, and I repeat IF, the Preds can continue selling out I honestly believe this team can be a 60 million team with a trade budget of 2 million.

Roster wise, the Preds need minimum 8 players with nearly 19 million under the cap.

That being said, this half season is not over. I only see Columbus, Washington, Florida, and the Islanders as the only seller so far.
Im glad someone else trying to look at next year. Of those not under contract next year who do they keep. Hornqvist, Josi for sure Im betting they keep Yip because of salary this will take 7 mil leaving 12mil for 5 players if nothing else is done. Bring up Watson and Latta that roughly 2 mil leaving 10 mil and 3 roster spots.

Many people think the team is one player away so that will work for them. And I expect this is the direction the front office will take. IF the ownership is comfortable enough they will replace Trotz and maybe Poile as well. If that is the case I would expect Legwand, Fish, SK, And Gaustad to all be moved as well. Im not sure ownership is ready to go that route. Blowing up the team will effect attendance then again icing the same next year will do the same. Honestly we have little way of knowing what there going to do.

There is no doubt that something has to change, the team is just not competitive night in night out with playoff caliber teams.

If you look at the cap next year the eam is in better shape than most. The Blackhawks are going to really have some tough decisions to make. That in no way means the Preds will be in consideration for any of the Hawks plaers that are going to have to be dumped we will most likley get Flyer rejects and the Hawk players will move East.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
I don't believe that we are one player away, I believe that we need a true scoring first line away.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Im glad someone else trying to look at next year.
I'm looking at this year and next. Next year the Preds will get a bump because of the schedule and new teams.

I'm going to say this, if Calgary FINALLY decides to sell, I want to see Poile make a move for Iggy. The RW depth would be this:

Iggy
Erat
Hornqvist

There's your RW depth.

BUT, I have to say this. Does the team make a full trade effort for a half season? We are in a gap yr where all the prospects are getting ready for a jump to Milwaukee not Nashville. Also most will be very busy with post-season in their leagues. Most if not all of the CHL guys will be going DEEP into the Memorial Cup Playoffs. None of the European players are ready to immediately jump into Milwaukee. Milwaukee is having a bad yr. And the NCAA guys are on teams that will go deep in the playoffs.

I think this would be a good year to have a bad year.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I'm looking at this year and next. Next year the Preds will get a bump because of the schedule and new teams.

I'm going to say this, if Calgary FINALLY decides to sell, I want to see Poile make a move for Iggy. The RW depth would be this:

Iggy
Erat
Hornqvist

There's your RW depth.

BUT, I have to say this. Does the team make a full trade effort for a half season? We are in a gap yr where all the prospects are getting ready for a jump to Milwaukee not Nashville. Also most will be very busy with post-season in their leagues. Most if not all of the CHL guys will be going DEEP into the Memorial Cup Playoffs. None of the European players are ready to immediately jump into Milwaukee. Milwaukee is having a bad yr. And the NCAA guys are on teams that will go deep in the playoffs.

I think this would be a good year to have a bad year.
Trading what? Yet another first? 24 year old, still inconsistent Blum?

Iginla, if traded, makes sense for a team that's close. If you've watched any games this season, you know that this team isn't "close" at the moment.

Save your assets. If you make the playoffs, great...but we're not in position to load up. Trading our first the last two years has left the prospect cupboard about as bare as its been in ten years. Keep picks, try to pick up or two more, and throw some cash at an unusually good free agent class this summer, including some interesting names that may end up in compliance buyout.

Team badly needs two top six forwards, at least one of whom is a legit first liner, and a second pairing defenseman to play with Klein. You're not getting all or any of that via trade.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Iginla is a terrible, terrible idea. By the time we're in contention, he will be ready to retire. Any piece we are getting needs to be a long term solution.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Trading what? Yet another first? 24 year old, still inconsistent Blum?

Iginla, if traded, makes sense for a team that's close. If you've watched any games this season, you know that this team isn't "close" at the moment.

Save your assets. If you make the playoffs, great...but we're not in position to load up. Trading our first the last two years has left the prospect cupboard about as bare as its been in ten years. Keep picks, try to pick up or two more, and throw some cash at an unusually good free agent class this summer, including some interesting names that may end up in compliance buyout.

Team badly needs two top six forwards, at least one of whom is a legit first liner, and a second pairing defenseman to play with Klein. You're not getting all or any of that via trade.

I said, that's what I would love, fantasy land, not what's capable. many her scream we need a center. Problem is that based on stats, Colin Wilson is a top line center in the NHL right now. LW you have 2 2nd liners and a 3rd liner. RW you have 2 2nd liners. If anything, it's the underachieving wings.

Also you have to consider Nashville's defensive system. This is where I suck. I claim to know nothing. Defensively, the Preds have looked like **** in my eyes. If you can shutout a team you only need one goal to win.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:56 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Iginla is a terrible, terrible idea. By the time we're in contention, he will be ready to retire. Any piece we are getting needs to be a long term solution.
Agreed.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:41 PM
PFL615

It does not matter who we get if Lewand, SK, and Fisher continue to get top line minutes while Smith plays with Clune 10 min a game. Something is going to have to get through no necks head that the young guns are the energy of this team not Legwand and SK.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
It does not matter who we get if Lewand, SK, and Fisher continue to get top line minutes while Smith plays with Clune 10 min a game. Something is going to have to get through no necks head that the young guns are the energy of this team not Legwand and SK.
I will preface with this: I agree with you 100% that Smith should be playing 1st line minutes. It frustrates me as well, but here's how Trotz sees it.

With young players, Barry (and other coaches around the league) take a long term approach. Just because a player is producing and looks good does not mean they are buying into the system. Trotz would rather limit Smith's time now until he is better defensively and systematically. He did the same thing with Wilson, and now that Wilson can play in all three zones, he is getting a ton more playing time. Trotz thinks it's worth being a bit worse in the short term to ensure the right developmental track for these prospects in the long-term.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with his methods, but that's the way he sees it.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:21 PM
PFL615

Quote:
I will preface with this: I agree with you 100% that Smith should be playing 1st line minutes. It frustrates me as well, but here's how Trotz sees it.

With young players, Barry (and other coaches around the league) take a long term approach. Just because a player is producing and looks good does not mean they are buying into the system. Trotz would rather limit Smith's time now until he is better defensively and systematically. He did the same thing with Wilson, and now that Wilson can play in all three zones, he is getting a ton more playing time. Trotz thinks it's worth being a bit worse in the short term to ensure the right developmental track for these prospects in the long-term.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with his methods, but that's the way he sees it.
I agree and understand with what you are saying as well. I just feel like Smith is different and gets it. I think he would grow a lot faster and develope even more if he had the chance to play with other skilled guys and they had the chance to gel. Not get thrown around and switched up all the time. I would love to see Smith with Erat and another top level winger. I think Erat would dramatically improve as well if he could get away from Legwand and SK.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I agree and understand with what you are saying as well. I just feel like Smith is different and gets it. I think he would grow a lot faster and develope even more if he had the chance to play with other skilled guys and they had the chance to gel. Not get thrown around and switched up all the time. I would love to see Smith with Erat and another top level winger. I think Erat would dramatically improve as well if he could get away from Legwand and SK.
I've been campaigning for Wilson-Smith-Erat for awhile now.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
Legwand and Fisher have 15 points combined, that is the lowest in the NHL for the top two centers.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Preddownsouth

I think Poile will end up a seller at the trade deadline this season. Move a couple of veterans, call up a couple of players from the Ads (Beck-Watson?), let them take their lumps. Keep the picks, draft well and go all-in on trying to get a UFA scorer here.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I think Poile will end up a seller at the trade deadline this season. Move a couple of veterans, call up a couple of players from the Ads (Beck-Watson?), let them take their lumps. Keep the picks, draft well and go all-in on trying to get a UFA scorer here.
Trade Goose, Gill, and Hannan. Nothing against any of them, but they aren't in our future plans. Draft as high as possible and chuck wads of cash at Perry/Horton/Getzlaf/Weiss/Ryder/etc.

Wilson-Smith-Perry

Old
03-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Trade Goose, Gill, and Hannan. Nothing against any of them, but they aren't in our future plans. Draft as high as possible and chuck wads of cash at Perry/Horton/Getzlaf/Weiss/Ryder/etc.

Wilson-Smith-Perry
Why isn't Gaustad in our future plans? We literally just signed him 6 months ago to a 4 year deal. Gaustad is a very nice piece to have moving forward IMO, even if he's slightly overpaid.

I do think one of Hannan or Gill may be moved if we're out of it. Unfortunately, Hannan is our only UFA with value so I think we'll be pretty quiet this deadline.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Why isn't Gaustad in our future plans? We literally just signed him 6 months ago to a 4 year deal. Gaustad is a very nice piece to have moving forward IMO, even if he's slightly overpaid.

I do think one of Hannan or Gill may be moved if we're out of it. Unfortunately, Hannan is our only UFA with value so I think we'll be pretty quiet this deadline.
Goose is a nice piece at 1.5-2mil. At 3.25, he is taking money that we would need to use on our star UFA forward we're apparently getting. I'm fine with holding onto him until the off-season. If we sign a big name and need cash, Goose is the first to go. If no one big comes here and we have the cash, keep him.

I love Gaustad on our team, but we may need that 3.25.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:47 PM
roseyc

Perry isn't coming here. So just wish away. unless he feels like we are a contending team why would he come here. He is on a contending team. First of all Either Legwand or Fisher has got to go. They are basically the same player.Both are not top line centers. I don't know what is available.But if Calgary decides to get rid of Ignila they'll want a good deal in return. I don't think that is the route to go. Not because of the future. For now here is what I would do:

Wilson-Horqvist-Smith
Fisher/Legwand-Erat-Bourque
Legwand/Fisher-Sk-Spaling/Halischuk
Gaustad/Yip/Halischuk/Spaling-Clune

I would rotate Legwand and Fisher(depending on the team we play) until one of them steps up and if not they go down to the third line and keep Sk down on the third line until he steps up

Now a trade would change all of this somewhat depending on who we get.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Goose is a nice piece at 1.5-2mil. At 3.25, he is taking money that we would need to use on our star UFA forward we're apparently getting. I'm fine with holding onto him until the off-season. If we sign a big name and need cash, Goose is the first to go. If no one big comes here and we have the cash, keep him.

I love Gaustad on our team, but we may need that 3.25.
A difference of $1.25M is not going to be the thing that stops us from getting our star forward. There will be a long list of excuses as to why we failed to get a star forward this summer, but being shy a million bucks won't be one of them.

To be honest, I'd rather have Gaustad at $3M than Kostitsyn at $3M. If we're trying to upgrade our top 6, wouldn't it make sense to clear someone out of it? We need to look at changing the makeup of our top 6. The bottom 6 is fine, ideal actually.

Last edited by Paranoid Android: 03-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Legionnaire11

There's really no way to justify $3M for a 4th liner, regardless of the team, payroll, player, skillset, etc... $3M is just too much.

I like Gaustad and all, but giving up a 1st rounder and paying him that much for a 4th line role (when he's healthy) is really absurd. Skate a journeyman or a kid there for $1-1.5M and be happy. That $1.5-2M difference could be the difference in signing a top-6 forward at $7M or missing out on him at $5M.

As the above poster pointed out, take SK's $3M, and the difference of Gaustad's $3M to a more reasonable $1M 4th line salary and there's $5M already towards a decent FA pickup.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote