Old
02-25-2013, 09:31 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

vCash: 500
FHL wants to expand to 12 teams, into south

ESPN Williamsport: Federal Hockey League wants to expand

Quote:
The plan is to make the Federal Hockey League a twelve team league with four three-team divisions.

The cities under consideration include; Richmond, Virginia, Bloomington, Illinois, Augusta, Georgia as well as Evansville, Indiana and in Michigan, Battle Creek and Troy.

The new alignment may well look like this:

East - 1000 Islands, Danbury, (new franchise)

West - Danville, Bloomington, Evansville

Midwest - Dayton, Battle Creek & Troy

South - Richmond, Augusta, (new franchise)
I've heard the third southern team would be Winston-Salem and that Marion, IN is under consideration.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 02-26-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: copyright
FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

People in Hades want ice water, too...

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Prussian_Blue

Do they expect to compete with the ECHL in Evansville for the hockey fan's dollar?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
CrazyEddie20

Perhaps, before hatching pie-in-the-sky plans for more garbage hockey, they should finish a season with the same number of teams they started the season with.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:25 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Do they expect to compete with the ECHL in Evansville for the hockey fan's dollar?
Or the CHL in Bloomington...

Old
02-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Slowe

Marion Indiana doesn't even have a rink. They were supposed to build an arena and break ground this spring, but the funding plan didn't work out. As of now it's dead in the water barring a creative new plan. Even if it did work out, they were openly discussing the USHL.

Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:34 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I guess it's only natural for a corpse to bloat if it's left out for too long....

Seriously, there's zero thought logical process here for a lot of that. There are already questions about Bloomington as a meaningful minor league hockey market, and they think that an even lower level of play will attract much interest? Or Evansville, with their already well-established team?

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:32 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowe View Post
Marion Indiana doesn't even have a rink. They were supposed to build an arena and break ground this spring, but the funding plan didn't work out. As of now it's dead in the water barring a creative new plan. Even if it did work out, they were openly discussing the USHL.
Last update I saw when looking stuff up last night was that the bonds didn't get sold, the town isn't going to pay for it, but they see no issues with why it won't happen, just with private funding.

And it's more like the USHL was discussing them but there's been no sort of commitment from the league.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRussianAlaskan View Post
Or the CHL in Bloomington...
Bloomington will be lucky if they see another CHL year.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Well...the ECHL team is pretty bad so....not bad timing!

Old
02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

The Battle Creek Revolution were the last champs (one of two teams that didn't fold before the end of the season) of the legendary AAHL in 2010-11. Do they hope to shift Bloomington and Evansville down from actual organized pro leagues to beer league pick-up or what?

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
The Battle Creek Revolution were the last champs (one of two teams that didn't fold before the end of the season) of the legendary AAHL in 2010-11. Do they hope to shift Bloomington and Evansville down from actual organized pro leagues to beer league pick-up or what?
Bloomington won't last.

Eville has SWONDER(the old arena)

Old
02-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Quote:
ESPN Williamsport: Federal Hockey League wants to expand

I've heard the third southern team would be Winston-Salem and that Marion, IN is under consideration.

This picture says it all. Take the FHL off life support and let it die.

Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowe View Post
No rink hasn't stopped the FHL before.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:34 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
No rink hasn't stopped the FHL before.
I was thinking of investing in an FHL expansion team myself, I have an arena ready to go too...

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:00 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Per Don Money with Pro Hockey News both leagues are annoyed at this for different reasons. The FHL has a strongly worded response in the works by some lawyers (likely the same who had ESPN Williamsport pull the post).

If this plan has any bit of legitimacy to it (aka not just made up by the ESPN Williamsport people), and I think it does, having lawyers contact someone and get it taken down is a slippery slope. You're attacking or threatening legal action against journalists for doing their job.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Disengage

Quote:
I was thinking of investing in an FHL expansion team myself, I have an arena ready to go too...
I see 15 people there, that's probably a good number for season ticket holders in that league.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

LOL, I know somebody who went all out and built a rink like this in their backyard. The funny part is, it was when it was the warmest winter ever in Upstate NY

Old
02-28-2013, 11:54 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Per Don Money with Pro Hockey News both leagues are annoyed at this for different reasons. The FHL has a strongly worded response in the works by some lawyers (likely the same who had ESPN Williamsport pull the post).

If this plan has any bit of legitimacy to it (aka not just made up by the ESPN Williamsport people), and I think it does, having lawyers contact someone and get it taken down is a slippery slope. You're attacking or threatening legal action against journalists for doing their job.
Link????

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Sniper45

Quote:

I still have'nt read any response from the FHL on this matter, and I also don't think ESPN Williamsport made the story up. The FHL is constently looking to expand all over, so this didn't come as a surprise to me. The papers in Williamsport are trying uncover as much as possible on Kirnan and his crew, the city is extremely ticked at how much Kirnan screwed them over! And rightfully so

Sniper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:56 PM
arlingtonway

PRESS RELEASE
March 1, 2013

For Immediate Release
Phil DeFranco
321-725-7181
The Federal Hockey League

Setting the record straight

Syracuse, NY-February 28, 2013 - Recently ESPN Radio (104.1 FM and 1050 am) in Williamsport, PA ran an article about the future of the FHL based on a quoted source yet to be identified. At no time was any FHL staff member, owner, or governor of the existing team members contacted to verify the story. At this time we would like to vociferously deny the statements in the article. At no time has any FHL staff member, owner, or governor of the existing team members ever contacted any owner of an SPHL, CHL or ECHL team in order to persuade them to jump to the FHL. They also stated in the article that the FHL would be comprised of 12 teams in four divisions. This is totally untrue. These statements have caused multiple problems with our fellow league owners, management and potential new owners as well as some of the commissioners, owners and management of other leagues mentioned in the article. This article has caused financial damage to the other leagues mentioned in the article as well as the FHL and its owners. Several leagues including the FHL have indicated that they are consulting with their legal personnel for advice on how to proceed with this matter. We asked ESPN Radio in Williamsport to take down the article which they did, however this article continues to be posted on several other social media outlets.

The inaccuracies in this article ties in with the other recent articles written regarding the FHL and its current staff members. The FHL in no way would ever try and hurt any fellow league or teams within those leagues. The FHL has sent over three hundred players to these leagues in the past three seasons alone and will continue to provide these leagues and their teams the players they need to succeed.

We would like to thank all of our fans and the other leagues for their continued support of the Federal Hockey League.

arlingtonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:05 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

The source of my info was a conversation over Facebook IM with Don himself. Here's a simplified version he posted on SPHL Forums.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
LOL, I know somebody who went all out and built a rink like this in their backyard. The funny part is, it was when it was the warmest winter ever in Upstate NY
Nice. I like the skybox too.

Blue n Gold Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:54 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue n Gold Forever View Post
Nice. I like the skybox too.
It looks like 2 skyboxes to me.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old