HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues: Mentally fragile?

Old
03-03-2013, 05:46 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
St. Louis Blues: Mentally fragile?

It seems to me that the Blues are very mentally fragile.

The seem to give up goals in pairs.

They practically quite playing after the Cracknell no-goal today.

Am I seeing things? How do we fix this?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:28 PM
The Note
Unable To Even

They're incredibly fragile. I think that's why they play so poorly with Elliott this year, they know he's giving up soft goals left and right and they don't have the ability to brush it off and push harder. The lack of fight as a team collectively is disheartening.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:26 PM
BlueDream

In their defense, even the most mentally stable of teams would be getting killed by Elliott. You cannot win when your goalie has a .850 save% and is allowing 4 goals a game. I don't care who you are. Yes there are problems with the team as a whole but Elliott needs to take blame for his own piss poor performance. Of course it's gonna degrade the team when he allows weak goals (like today's 2nd goal).

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:00 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
In their defense, even the most mentally stable of teams would be getting killed by Elliott. You cannot win when your goalie has a .850 save% and is allowing 4 goals a game. I don't care who you are. Yes there are problems with the team as a whole but Elliott needs to take blame for his own piss poor performance. Of course it's gonna degrade the team when he allows weak goals (like today's 2nd goal).
But it isn't just when Elliott is in goal. It goes beyond that.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:07 PM
OCTA8ON*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
It mostly when Elliot is in goal though. When Halak is in goal, we have been able to bounce back and ignore a recent goal against much more frequently like the game against Edmonton.

OCTA8ON* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:36 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
It mostly when Elliot is in goal though. When Halak is in goal, we have been able to bounce back and ignore a recent goal against much more frequently like the game against Edmonton.
But the Edmonton game is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Edmonton scores at 17:30 in the first period. Then, 23 seconds later, Edmonton scores again. Can't blame that on Elliott.

Did the Blues regroup? Yes. But immediately after giving up a goal, they collapsed mentally, played very poor hockey the following shift, and gave up a second goal.

That is what I'm talking about: the five minutes or so following something going bad.

It happened again today, with the first then second goal by Dallas. But again later, after the goal by Cracknell was waived off.

You may be correct that it happens more with Elliott in goal than Halak or Allen, but in my opinion that is nothing more than correlation, not causation.

Has Hitchcock gone too Zen on the guys?

Old
03-03-2013, 08:50 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post

Bingo!

And if players stopped "buying in" to Hitchcock, it probably occurred when he was doing everything he could to tapdance around the terrible play of Elliott to point his finger at the rest of the team. He lost a ton of credibility in my eyes during that stretch.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:57 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
This.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Oshie97

Yes they are, just watch when something in the game doesn't go their way. You can see their attitude change followed by their game going down the crapper. Heaven forbid they face some adversity and overcome it. I think the expectations went to their head, they think they can rely on skill instead of the hard work mindset that was successful last yr.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Eazy D
Rookie User

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this. The Blues will take the lead then the other team will tie it up and all hope is lost. They'll quit taking the fight to them and play to the other team's game and that's not how you keep to your winning ways.

Eazy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:54 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

They played the same fragile way in front of Halak to start last season. One soft goal and they'd quit. It is the reverse of Halak/Elliott this year.

Yes, they are fragile. This core has won one playoff series in the 5+ years it has played together. They are mentally soft and David Backes as captain has been captain for too long to dodge the fact that he and his teammates are mentally soft.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote