HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
  #601
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
looks like he'll fit in nicely with the Flyers then
Always the optimist huh? I think Hextall got beat early to.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  #602
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Anthony and Scott with nice games today. I thought I would bring that up because some people only mention their names when our prospects do poorly.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  #603
BackWithaVengeance
Registered User
 
BackWithaVengeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 912
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
Laughton will be too young for the Phantoms next season (correct me if I'm wrong). He's still 18.
LOL. I am clueless. Thanks for the update.

BackWithaVengeance is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
  #604
Akanon
Registered User
 
Akanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Anthony and Scott with nice games today. I thought I would bring that up because some people only mention their names when our prospects do poorly.
London Knights - Kitchener Rangers, 6-1
Stolarz saved 30 out of 31 shots

Oshawa Generals - Kingston Frontenacs, 4-2
Laughton had 3 assists

Akanon is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:45 PM
  #605
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Always the optimist huh? I think Hextall got beat early to.
It's just a joke man. Adjust the sarcasm detector.

Go For It is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:56 PM
  #606
BackWithaVengeance
Registered User
 
BackWithaVengeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 912
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
London Knights - Kitchener Rangers, 6-1
Stolarz saved 30 out of 31 shots

Oshawa Generals - Kingston Frontenacs, 4-2
Laughton had 3 assists
As a Flyers fan, it doesn't feel right. A promising tender in the juniors?

No way.

BackWithaVengeance is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:29 PM
  #607
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
As a Flyers fan, it doesn't feel right. A promising tender in the juniors?

No way.
Stolarz has been fantastic since going to London. I don't think I can stress how great he's been since going to London. He gets to work with one of the great junior goaltending coaches in Canada and he's reaping the rewards. Honestly, we're just beginning to see what's beneath the surface. His positioning is sound, his glove hand is fantastic, his athleticism is off the charts and his rebound control is night and day from when he first came here. There's still a few items for him to work on (watching the play in front and puck handling, but that's also coming along). People may not believe this, but the Flyers got a blue chipper in Stolarz. If they're patient with him (give him another year of junior and then a full year in the AHL as the undisputed starter), he'll be worth the wait.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:09 PM
  #608
LetsGoFlyers1825
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 767
vCash: 50
This upcoming Saturday London is playing Sarnia on NHLN, which will then be followed by Flyers vs Bruins. Will be a good day to watch Stolarz for the first time.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
  #609
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If they're patient with him (give him another year of junior and then a full year in the AHL as the undisputed starter), he'll be worth the wait.
This timeline is tricky as we can imagine. We'll need to make a decision on Bryzgalov after Stolarz's second season in Juniors (with a potential cup of tea in Adirondach after his Junior season). If they amnesty Bryz after next season, they'll have to have a stopgap while Stolarz is playing a season with the Phantoms. If they don't amnesty Bryz... too much to contemplate.

I just want to see Stolarz keep building (and staying healthy), then cross that bridge when it comes.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 12:35 AM
  #610
BackWithaVengeance
Registered User
 
BackWithaVengeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 912
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Stolarz has been fantastic since going to London. I don't think I can stress how great he's been since going to London. He gets to work with one of the great junior goaltending coaches in Canada and he's reaping the rewards. Honestly, we're just beginning to see what's beneath the surface. His positioning is sound, his glove hand is fantastic, his athleticism is off the charts and his rebound control is night and day from when he first came here. There's still a few items for him to work on (watching the play in front and puck handling, but that's also coming along). People may not believe this, but the Flyers got a blue chipper in Stolarz. If they're patient with him (give him another year of junior and then a full year in the AHL as the undisputed starter), he'll be worth the wait.
and and more of and a bit of

Thanks for the read. I hope he understands the great opportunity andd makes the best of it.

BackWithaVengeance is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 06:24 AM
  #611
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This timeline is tricky as we can imagine. We'll need to make a decision on Bryzgalov after Stolarz's second season in Juniors (with a potential cup of tea in Adirondach after his Junior season). If they amnesty Bryz after next season, they'll have to have a stopgap while Stolarz is playing a season with the Phantoms. If they don't amnesty Bryz... too much to contemplate.

I just want to see Stolarz keep building (and staying healthy), then cross that bridge when it comes.
I'm pretty sure that the development plan with Stolarz is to bring him along the way the Canucks brought Cory Schneider along. Stolarz will play one more year of junior and then he's going to the AHL for a probable two year assignment and then he'll be brought to Philadelphia as the back up to Bryzgalov for probably 2 or 3 seasons. By the time Stolarz makes the jump to starter, there's only a season or two left on Bryzgalov's contract and that will be at the lower end they'll be paying out. It works out really well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
  #612
djlethal08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hockessin, DE
Country: United States
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the development plan with Stolarz is to bring him along the way the Canucks brought Cory Schneider along. Stolarz will play one more year of junior and then he's going to the AHL for a probable two year assignment and then he'll be brought to Philadelphia as the back up to Bryzgalov for probably 2 or 3 seasons. By the time Stolarz makes the jump to starter, there's only a season or two left on Bryzgalov's contract and that will be at the lower end they'll be paying out. It works out really well.
That timeline sounds good, and it would probably be the best option, but this is the Flyers we're talking about. Time and time again they've shown no patience to let high-value prospects develop gradually. The way I see it Stolarz will either be the Flyers starting goalie in the next 2-3 years or he'll be traded for something that will contribute to the team sooner. I just don't think they will sit on Stolarz for the next 5 years.

djlethal08 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
  #613
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
This upcoming Saturday London is playing Sarnia on NHLN, which will then be followed by Flyers vs Bruins. Will be a good day to watch Stolarz for the first time.
For Canadians, the game will be shown live on Sportnet in Ontario (not sure of the ROC), 7-10 pm Friday March 8th - Friday Night Hockey.

Great to see Stolarz. Since they offered Centre Ice so cheap, I just got it instead of the SportsPack, so no free OHL games....

Larry44 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
  #614
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Stolarz has been fantastic since going to London. I don't think I can stress how great he's been since going to London. He gets to work with one of the great junior goaltending coaches in Canada and he's reaping the rewards. Honestly, we're just beginning to see what's beneath the surface. His positioning is sound, his glove hand is fantastic, his athleticism is off the charts and his rebound control is night and day from when he first came here. There's still a few items for him to work on (watching the play in front and puck handling, but that's also coming along). People may not believe this, but the Flyers got a blue chipper in Stolarz. If they're patient with him (give him another year of junior and then a full year in the AHL as the undisputed starter), he'll be worth the wait.
Thanks for the report. I am really pumped about this kid and hope he continues to improve. I am glad he is getting to play in a lot of games for London. The only game I saw him play was when he was still in college and his rebound control needed work. But it sounds like he has the passion to exceed and work on getting better. The kid is a beast and it is nice to have a prospect in junior. I would like to hear from CharlieGirl and see what she thinks about this young man as I value her opinion(most of the time)
Thanks again.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:25 AM
  #615
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlethal08 View Post
That timeline sounds good, and it would probably be the best option, but this is the Flyers we're talking about. Time and time again they've shown no patience to let high-value prospects develop gradually. The way I see it Stolarz will either be the Flyers starting goalie in the next 2-3 years or he'll be traded for something that will contribute to the team sooner. I just don't think they will sit on Stolarz for the next 5 years.
The Flyers are one of the few teams that definitely allow their prospects to sink or swim. With that being said, Don Luce is the head of player development and I'm pretty certain he's pushing the Flyers to be patient with Stolarz. As well, when the Flyers drafted Stolarz, Holmgren also said that Stolarz was going to be a long term project. I don't think they'll rush him at all, especially with the contract that Bryz has.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
  #616
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,846
vCash: 500
Is it even a guarentee that Stolarz will get the nod that day? I know he's pretty much been given the No. 1 spot recently. Either way I'll probably watch because I enjoy watching London play.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  #617
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The Flyers are one of the few teams that definitely allow their prospects to sink or swim. With that being said, Don Luce is the head of player development and I'm pretty certain he's pushing the Flyers to be patient with Stolarz. As well, when the Flyers drafted Stolarz, Holmgren also said that Stolarz was going to be a long term project. I don't think they'll rush him at all, especially with the contract that Bryz has.
I'm hoping the FO tracks Stolarz's progress and tries to ensure he is in the best possible developmental place as possible, but otherwise forgets about him for medium- and long-term planning. Goalie prospects are notorious for being all over the map in their progress, and it's way too early to project anything about Stolarz being ready for the NHL. One season and one step in the ladder at a time, please.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
  #618
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Just watching nick cousins highlights, I'm not sure why he isn't generating more notoriety as an elite prospect, he is putting up crazy points in the OHL on a bad team. Flyers fans should be very excited for this guy, as I think he is one of the better prospects we have had in a long time... More valuable and higher potential than Laughton IMO


He reminds me of Marchand, but quite a bit more of a pest and agitator if you can believe it and I know Marchand is established in the NHL but based on junior cousins could* have a higher offensive ceiling

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 03:51 PM
  #619
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Just watching nick cousins highlights, I'm not sure why he isn't generating more notoriety as an elite prospect, he is putting up crazy points in the OHL on a bad team. Flyers fans should be very excited for this guy, as I think he is one of the better prospects we have had in a long time... More valuable and higher potential than Laughton IMO


He reminds me of Marchand, but quite a bit more of a pest and agitator if you can believe it and I know Marchand is established in the NHL but based on junior cousins could* have a higher offensive ceiling
Cousins would be thought of higher by most, but his biggest issue is that he needs to mature more on the emotional level. With that being said, Sheldon Keefe and Ian Laperriere have been working with Cousins and they've really tried to push him to the next level and to forget about the antics and focus more on playing the game.

I don't think anyone doubts his natural talent. Scouts in Philadelphia love what he brings to the ice in terms of talent and his enthusiasm for the game. The issue is whether or not Cousins' antics are going to follow him or if he's going to be serious and really focus on rounding out his game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 03:58 PM
  #620
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Cousins would be thought of higher by most, but his biggest issue is that he needs to mature more on the emotional level. With that being said, Sheldon Keefe and Ian Laperriere have been working with Cousins and they've really tried to push him to the next level and to forget about the antics and focus more on playing the game.

I don't think anyone doubts his natural talent. Scouts in Philadelphia love what he brings to the ice in terms of talent and his enthusiasm for the game. The issue is whether or not Cousins' antics are going to follow him or if he's going to be serious and really focus on rounding out his game.
I just hope they don't try to water him down too much that he loses his edge, he is such an effective player... People have been praising Ronaldo for drawing penalties and agitating the past few games, well cousins brings this to a whole nother level, and he hurts you on the score sheet.

He has the ability to be such an effective player, I can't wait until he plays for this team.

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
  #621
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
I just hope they don't try to water him down too much that he loses his edge, he is such an effective player... People have been praising Ronaldo for drawing penalties and agitating the past few games, well cousins brings this to a whole nother level, and he hurts you on the score sheet.

He has the ability to be such an effective player, I can't wait until he plays for this team.
Oh, I love Cousins and I love the fact he's a rat on the ice and he drives people nuts. However, sometimes he doesn't know when to let up and that's what causes problems. Like Rinaldo, it's going to be a learning curve with regards to what he can and can't get away with. What some don't realize is that Rinaldo has taken the instructions from the coaching staff on how to pick his spots more and how to be effective without hurting the team. He really struggled last year, but he's getting it this year. It will be same with Cousins.

The good news though is that when he goes to Adirondack, he'll be given the time he needs to focus on what he can and can't get away with. Once he figures that out, he'll be in Philadelphia in no time.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 06:47 PM
  #622
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,867
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
For Canadians, the game will be shown live on Sportnet in Ontario (not sure of the ROC), 7-10 pm Friday March 8th - Friday Night Hockey.

Great to see Stolarz. Since they offered Centre Ice so cheap, I just got it instead of the SportsPack, so no free OHL games....
Thanks, just set the pvr.

bennysflyers16 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 06:51 PM
  #623
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Just watching nick cousins highlights, I'm not sure why he isn't generating more notoriety as an elite prospect, he is putting up crazy points in the OHL on a bad team. Flyers fans should be very excited for this guy, as I think he is one of the better prospects we have had in a long time... More valuable and higher potential than Laughton IMO


He reminds me of Marchand, but quite a bit more of a pest and agitator if you can believe it and I know Marchand is established in the NHL but based on junior cousins could* have a higher offensive ceiling
Where do you get SSM is a bad team? They're 34-22.

In addition, they have arguably the best offensive defenseman in the CHL, another top 10 pick this year in Nurse, a pretty good goalie prospect, and a pretty good group up front that consists of Cousins, Broll, Alderson, Miller, Tolchinsky, Schumacher, and Fritsch.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 10:59 PM
  #624
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,058
vCash: 500
Seems Derek Mathers became the first OHL player to be suspended for having more then 10 fights.
Quote:
The league passed the rule before the season with an eye to eliminating "needless fighting." Sunday, Peterborough Petes captain and Philadelphia Flyers sixth-rounder Derek Mathers became the first player to incur a suspension for having more than 10 fights, which the OHL confirms will keep him out of four of the Petes' last five games since he took the instigator penalty.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...zzing-the-net/

BleedOrange is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
  #625
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Seems Derek Mathers became the first OHL player to be suspended for having more then 10 fights.



http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...zzing-the-net/
That has to be one of the dumbest rules in any hockey league. Everything about hockey is getting softer and softer by the day.

The guy shot the puck at Mathers and Mathers gets the instigator. Oh well at least Mathers cut the guy open pretty badly.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.