HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Detroit assets who will not be moved and what may happen concerning goaltending.

Old
07-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 500
I like what Ken Holland is doing with the goalie situation right now (shocking eh?)

I say let Osgood and Howard/Liv get it a shot and if the team needs a goalie come April then trade for one. Adding a Nabokov or Giguere, or whoever at the deadline wont cost as much in terms of payroll cause they'll only have to account for 1/3 of their salary for the remainder of the year. If the team doesn't feel it needs to add a goalie they can then take that extra payroll and add other parts that the team will need.

People also forget about the number of goalies Detroit has signed to contracts. We already have 6 goalies signed for only 6 spots (NHL, AHL, ECHL)

Osgood
Howard
Liv
MacDonald
MacIntyre
Koopsman

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I'll probably get flamed for this post, but I think all of this (if true), shows why the Wings are continually a contender. Stability, loyality to existing players, investment in guys that want to be there - those are all marks of winners.

I think Wing management is betting that some of their young talent (like Howard) will take the next step.

I think they're right.
Darth, just to play Devil's advocate.

What sort of loyalty should the Red Wings show Robert Lang? He was a deadline acquisition a couple of years ago after being a salary dump by the Cap's. He's played decent since coming over, but nothing to write home about. In addition - he's making $3.8M and from doublejack's post he will likely be the 3rd line center.

I just can't see almost any situation where he's a "cornerstone" player that couldn't be moved to improve what is a VERY big hole in nets. I don't think that anyone is remotely considering Chris Osgood a long term anwser, so that means that the majority of the load would have to be carried by Howard or Liv. It's possible that they're ready (Holland certainly has a better idea of than than I do)! I just find it incredible though that a team that supposedly has Stanley Cup aspirations would count on a rookie to carry the load in goal.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 03:23 PM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
IMO, Wings management is treating next season as a throw-away of sorts. After next season, almost all of the vets will be gone other than Lidstrom and Draper and the Wings will have a great foundation with money to spend.

Nill could also just be posturing about Schneider and Lang.

Nice avatar...Z's got big skates to fill.

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 03:28 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post

What sort of loyalty should the Red Wings show Robert Lang? He was a deadline acquisition a couple of years ago after being a salary dump by the Cap's. He's played decent since coming over, but nothing to write home about. In addition - he's making $3.8M and from doublejack's post he will likely be the 3rd line center.

I just can't see almost any situation where he's a "cornerstone" player that couldn't be moved to improve what is a VERY big hole in nets. I don't think that anyone is remotely considering Chris Osgood a long term anwser, so that means that the majority of the load would have to be carried by Howard or Liv. It's possible that they're ready (Holland certainly has a better idea of than than I do)! I just find it incredible though that a team that supposedly has Stanley Cup aspirations would count on a rookie to carry the load in goal.
Lang has led all Detroit forwards in playoff scoring since the trade. He's our one big offensive body. Scoring 60-some points from the 3rd center position is nothing to scoff at. He'll likely get re-signed at a much more modest figure next summer and continue to be a valuable player. Lang is a guy Holland had coveted for years prior acquiring him. Same goes for Schneider and Lilja.

No one is saying Osgood is the long term answer. But he very likely could be the short term answer until Jimmy is ready. Be that this season or the next.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
phillypensfan

Send a message via ICQ to phillypensfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post

I don't think that anyone is remotely considering Chris Osgood a long term anwser, so that means that the majority of the load would have to be carried by Howard or Liv. It's possible that they're ready (Holland certainly has a better idea of than than I do)! I just find it incredible though that a team that supposedly has Stanley Cup aspirations would count on a rookie to carry the load in goal.

Just to give you an idea on how the organization feels about Ozzie being their starting goalie.

Quote:
they are prepared to wait as long as it takes to find the right one. That's why they signed Osgood on July 1; ideally he would be the backup, but realistically he could start the season, with anyone from Jimmy Howard to Stefan Liv to Joey MacDonald in the backup role, as the Wings continue to evaluate what is available.

"Chris has done a good job for us in the past," assistant general manager Jim Nill said Wednesday. "We signed him so we wouldn't be under the gun. And we've got lots of depth -- we've got two or three kids that can play. We're covered in net. We're not under pressure to do something."
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...607200416/1053

phillypensfan is offline   Reply With Quote